The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 670
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    "Then let's get to it," Severin replies grimly. Slipping off Bertrand, he loads his sling and tries to make his way stealthily to a good vantage point from which he can hit the mutant holding (or closest to) Bernice. Taking careful aim, he launches his sling stone!

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Silent Move (1d100)[16] vs. Ag 47 / 2 = 23

    Initiative (1d10+47)[49]

    Half Action: Aim (+10 to hit)
    Half Action: Standard attack with sling (1d100)[13] vs. BS 53 (BS 43+10 Aim) or 83 if unaware (BS 43+10 Aim +30 Unaware)
    Fortune Point if needed
    Standard attack with sling (1d100)[40]


    Damage (1d10+3)[5]

    Ulric's Fury if applicable
    Standard attack with sling (1d100)[28]
    Damage (1d10+3)[10]

    Wounds (remaining/total): 10/10
    Fortune Points (used/total): 1/3
    Last edited by rax; 2018-11-16 at 11:51 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    As Gabriele tries to move in position, she knocks a rock with her foot. The mutants shriek and point up again, and so Gabriele and Severin let fly with their missiles. The mutant holding Bernice feels some strange tug on the rope, and so she clutches it tighter. The slings and arrows hit her, and she looks hurt. The other two look surprised and brandish their knives, but the ambushers are quicker on the draw.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Gabriele wasn't use to deserts. She'd have to learn not to do that if this whole Border Princes thing was ever going to work.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Half Action to Aim
    Half Action to Shoot

    vs. BS 42 (+10 Aim)
    (1d100)[89]
    Fortune point if needed
    (1d100)[91]

    Damage (1d10+3 with Armour Piercing)
    (1d10+3)[11]

    Taal's Fury
    (1d100)[39]
    [roll1d10[/roll]

    Wounds: 6/11
    FP:1/4
    Arrows: 5/10

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    "Lousy shot," Severin curses himself as the sling stone fails to do any appreciable damage to the mutant. Reloading, he quickly launches another rock at the same mutant and catches her square in the head!

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Half Action: Reload
    Half Action: Standard attack with sling (1d00)[1] vs. BS 43 or 73 if still unaware (BS 43+30 Unaware)
    Fortune Point if needed
    Standard attack with sling (1d100)[6]


    Damage (1d10+3)[9]

    Ulric's Fury if applicable
    Standard attack with sling (1d00)[1]
    Damage (1d10+3)[6]

    Wounds (remaining/total): 10/10
    Fortune Points (used/total): 1/3

    ...TWO rolls of 01 to hit? Sometimes the dice roller is just freaky!
    Last edited by rax; 2018-11-17 at 05:56 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Gabriele's arrow flashes by the mutant, followed by Severin's stone, which catches the mutant square in the head. Dazed, bleeding, she stumbles backwards, trying to get away. The other two mutants scramble away as well. One of them, with a strangel, bird-like head, takes the wounded one's arm, and tries to pull her to safety. The ravine winds around a corner, and soon they will be out of sight.

    Bernice, trailing the rope behind her, runs in the opposite direction, away from the mutants.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    "We need to recover the packs as well as Bernice! I'll go after her, the rest of you get down there, pick up the packs and follow. As soon as we've put some distance between us and this place, we can stop and divvy up the packs. Bertrand's no mule, but he'll be able to take a couple. See you in a jiffy!"

    Severin quickly scrambles back from the ravine, mounts Bertrand, and sets off in pursuit of Bernice. As soon as he's a little distance from the ambush site, he calls down to the merchant's daughter. "Bernice! Stop! It's me - Severin from the caravan! Stop and I'll help you!"

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Back at the Caravan:

    About an hour has passed. Clark finishes his work. It's crude, but it will bear the weight of the injured merchant. Once he's done, Carl and Wertha see the two guards approach Clark. There is some arguing. The guards are insisting that the caravan leave immediately. "Too dangerous... the mutants could be back, the others are probably dead by now..."

    Clark is hesitant. The merchant is their paymaster, and he wants to stay until Bernice is rescued. But, on the other hand, you can't get paid if you're dead...

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Torendil mutters as his spell fails and begins to try and cast another, but the others are faster on the draw and the mutants flee anyway. Still, he makes an attempt to send one more magical dart after the creatures, just to make sure they get the message.

    Afterwards he makes his way carefully down the ravine, picking up one or two of the smallest and lightest-looking packs.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Channelling test
    vs. WP +10 (46)
    (1d100)[26]

    Casting Magic Dart
    Target 6
    Casting Roll: (1d10)[8] (+1 if channel test successful)
    Damage: (1d10+3)[6]

    Extra WP roll for Ulric's fury or vs Insanity on a nat 1 casting roll:
    vs WP (36)
    (1d100)[67]
    Extra damage: (1d10)[5]
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    To Severin, Be careful. We don't know what else is out here.'

    Gabriele will follow Torendil down into the ravine to retrieve some of the packs. She's watching the direction the mutants went in in case they decided to come back. She'll also look to see if she can recover her arrow.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    50% percent chance of recovering the arrow she missed with
    1 - to recover it, 2 - it's broken
    (1d2)[2]


  10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    "Hey now, what's this about leaving man? We've seen off the mutants - now do your damn job..." she says shortly, giving the guard a hard look.

    "We saw off a surprise ambush, and they've half the numbers previous - them twists ain't gonna come back," Wertha explains to Clark, tone moderated somewhat, "the others will be back in a couple hours, and do you wanna be the one explaining why we moved on without 'em? No, my neither."

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Chasing Bernice:

    Torendil's magic dart strikes the wounded mutant square in the back! She stumbles, and falls to her knees. The other two grab her by the arms and pull her out of harm's way. Torendil heads on down to where the packs are, and shoulders two small and light ones. They'd been making Bernice carry an entire mule-load. Gabriele finds one of her arrows; it hit a rock and the shaft is shattered, useless. She can heft the remaining packs, with a little help from Alyssa. A little ways away, Bernice stops as Severin and Bertrand ride up, breathing heavily. "Oh, thank Sigmar. Thank Taal. Ulric and Ranald. Oh, thank you," she says, holding up her wrists for you to cut her free. "They were gonna eat me. If you hadn't come along..."


    At the caravan:

    With Wertha speaking up, Clark tells off the guard. "We wait. We've got enough water to last today. It'll be thirsty work, and we'll be safe on the other side of the mountains. We wait until noon." He tells the guard to climb up the ridge and give a shout if he sees any mutants coming back. The guard grumbles at that, but does so.

    After about two hours, Alyssa, Torendil, Gabriele, Severin and Bernice return. They've recovered a number of packs, and one of the mules. Bernice runs over to where her father is resting. There is a tearful reunion, before Clark steps in. "Best we were gone. Already lost two, and you ain't in any condition to fight again. C'mon, lie down on the stretcher and we'll be off..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Flipped a coin, and the arrow is lost! Alas. OK, we're all back together. Let's take 200 XP for fending off the mutants and recovering Bernice.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Gabriele is leaning slightly on her bow but will nod at Clark. She could do with a rest after all that, but it would be harder if she actually sat down and had to get up again.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa, who had mostly thrown rocks at the mutants during the fight to little, if distracting, effect, nods and lifts the two small packs as she replies, "We couldn't just let them take you." She looks at the others, shrugs, then adds, "Back to the caravan?" as she slices Bernice's bonds open with a twirl of her shortsword.

    When they get back to the caravan, Alyssa nods to Clarke and adds darkly, "Quite. It's likely that there's more of them out there somewhere who are just a little nettled we killed their friends and stole their loot back."
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2018-11-20 at 01:09 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Severin helps distribute the packs among the remaining mules and volunteers Bertrand to carry one or two of the lighter ones if necessary. "Lead on, Clark. The sooner we can get to what passes for civilization in these parts, the better."

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Wertha is vindicated as the other group appears after a tense wait of several, raising a hand to hail as they approach: doing what she can to get the whole caravan moving swiftly - offering to handle the reins on one, in place of the recently departed muleskinner.

    Growing up in a four horse village, she had the experience after all.

    "C'mon you lot, move it!" she cheerfully berates the animals, happy to be moving again: they might even be in line for a little bonus!

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Carl

    Carl lets out a sigh of relief as the order is given to move on.

    'Thank Esmerlda!' The Halfling soldier looks at his fellow wounded apologetically. 'I am sorry I couldn't be more aid with your injuries my friends. I fear I'd make a poor barber-surgeon.'

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Torendil seems far more exhausted than he should be upon returning, given that he wasn't carrying much of a load. He nods as he sees the caravan still intact and the wounded still alive--the thought that they may have even considered going on and leaving them stranded hadn't even crossed his mind. He finds an unladen mule to toss the packs onto, and it says something about how tired he is from the chase that he actually leans against the animal's side to catch his breath. "Let's get out of this gods-forsaken place. I doubt we'll find a proper town, but it can't be worse than this."
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-11-21 at 04:38 PM.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    'Thank Esmerlda!' The Halfling soldier looks at his fellow wounded apologetically. 'I am sorry I couldn't be more aid with your injuries my friends. I fear I'd make a poor barber-surgeon.'
    Gabrielle now notes how much worse off Carl seems to be. 'At least you tried. You seem to be the only one here who knows enough to have a go.'

    As they move out she is suspicious enough to watch the landscape around them for any sign of life. They were in no state to deal with another ambush.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Once the caravan has recovered, somewhat, and is all together, the last part of the journey begins. It is hot, and dry, as you wind through the foothills towards the pass. The injured make going slow, and with the late start, the caravan doesn't quite reach the pass. Everyone passes a cold and unpleasant night huddled in a small shelter near the top of the pass. Nobody wants to risk a fire, and everyone drinks the last of the stale water out of their waterskins. Fortunately, the recovered packs have dried food, so nobody goes hungry. The next morning, everyone wakes up bright and early. After cresting the pass, the going is much easier. After a few miles, you reach some small springs. Cool and clear, the water refreshes everyone dramatically, men and mules. The barren mountains give way to a few gentle hills. You can see pasturelands, goats and sheep grazing on the grassy hills. Atop a hill overlooking a small river, there is a small stone hillfort. A small village is clustered beneath it, sheltered by a smaller stone wall. The path leads up to the stone gate. "Faucon Pass," says Clark. "Not much here, but the Duke's got a few soldiers. They don't usually patrol over the pass, but if you try to dodge the toll, they'll chase you halfway to Altdorf."

    Sure enough, as the caravan arrives at the village, a few guards and a toll collector approach. "3 pence per leg, chief," the collector says.
    Bernice counts out the money and hands it over. "No discount for the wounded?" she asks.
    "Still got all his legs? Then no." is the response. "Yer in luck, though. Sir Laurens is visiting. Brought a barber up from the capital with him. Might get him ta look you over. Run into trouble, did ya? Might want to tell Sir Laurens about it."

    Spoiler
    Show
    "Lightly Wounded" characters recover 1 wound
    Last edited by dojango; 2018-11-21 at 09:40 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Carl

    Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Gabrielle now notes how much worse off Carl seems to be. 'At least you tried. You seem to be the only one here who knows enough to have a go.'

    As they move out she is suspicious enough to watch the landscape around them for any sign of life. They were in no state to deal with another ambush.
    Carl gives the human woman a grateful if tired smile. 'Thank you. You fought well. You are from Ostland right? I think I recall the accent - my regiment served alongside a brigade of the Wolfenburg Irregulars at Kleigersdorp. They drank like dwarves, gambled like Marienburgers and fought like ogres. Fine soldiers.'

    Carl slept poorly during the night. As a soldier he was used to going without a proper bed but the severity of his wounds made lying down painful. It was only when they caught sight of the village that a semblance of life flowed back into his haggard (by halfling standards) face.

    'Barber first, then the local commander to report, then a tavern...,'

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa spends most of the ride resting in the wagon. She's much more injured from the club than she initially let on, and spends most of the trip with her head tied in padding and bandages. When they're stopped for the toll, she peers outside and calls to the guards, "Can't we get a discount? Surely we deserve it for doing our part to keep the roads safe."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Charm: (1d100)[81] vs 31
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2018-11-22 at 11:27 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Carl gives the human woman a grateful if tired smile. 'Thank you. You fought well.'
    Gabriele will wave that off, 'I can shoot a little. Otherwise it's safer avoiding having to fight altogether.'

    Mentioning Wolfenburg was a sore spot considering the state she had last seen it in after the sacking. Still, the Halfling was obviously right. 'The finest soldiers. We sort of have to be.'

    In the village

    A tavern sounded nice. If nothing else she could rest her wounded leg.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Wertha's just grateful to be here and uninjured. A tavern sounded like a pleasant way to spend the afternoon and the perfect place to hear about opportunities, now that they were so close to The Borderlands - and that's what this trip was all about, wasn't it?

    In the village...

    Heading somewhere appropriate to listen to local rumours and regale the locals with tales of our (general) heroism - always good to spread the word around for the next job.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Gossip
    (1d100)[14]
    3 Degrees of Success vs 42, assuming flat.
    Last edited by em.; 2018-11-22 at 04:52 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Severin

    "I'll go with you, Carl. Time enough to find accommodation later. Anyone else coming with us to see Sir Laurens' barber?"

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Faucon Pass:

    The toll collector merely chuckles at Alyssa's question. "Aye, if we gave a discount to everyone who got in a scrap, well, where would we be?" He waves everyone through once Bernice has paid. "Tell Sir Laurens about the bandits and he'll make short work of them, I'm sure."

    The village is filled with people, of course, a few stores, some crude workshops. There is a well in the town plaza, with a few stocks. Unoccupied at the moment. The tavern is easily recognizable, from the barrels stacked up beside it. A sign proclaims it to be "The Black Sheep", as you can tell from the picture. In front of the tavern is a small crowd, clustered around a man sitting at a table. He's hung up a few bloody bandages on a placard, and is currently attempting to extract a tooth from a terrified looking woman. He pauses, takes a long swig from his ale, and then with one quick twist of the pliers, there is a brief scream. He holds up the bloody tooth, triumphantly. The woman gets up, a little unsteady, probing at her mouth. "Next!" shouts the barber-surgeon. Seeing Linus & Carl's wounds (and the gold crown spinning in Beatrice's hand), he beckons the injured over. "Run into a spot of trouble? Looks more serious than a tavern brawl. You've come to the right man. Albrecht Stangl, at your service."

    Once Bernice hands over the gold crown, he bids everyone to sit. He examines Linus first, then Carl. Then the others, in turn. The tavern keeper brings out a round of drinks for anyone that wants one. Linus gets his arm carefully set, and wrapped up in a splint. He pulls out some needle and thread. He holds the needle briefly over a candle. "As your surgeon, I advise you to have a drink," says Albrecht. "This may hurt a bit..."

    Wertha regales the locals with the story of the ambush, and the heroic rescue of Bernice. There are some appreciative nods at their victory over the mutants. "Wait," someone says. "Ol' George didn't make it? Someone should tell his wife... widow..." The biggest news in town (before you arrived) is that Duke Bremcote's youngest son is in town. Sir Laurens. He's come to collect the tolls, true, but he's a fine lad. A knight, don't you know? Shining armor, sword, the whole deal. A group of refugees came down from the north a few months ago, but they kept moving. Now that summer's coming, isn't going to be any traffic from the north. Since the wells are dried up now.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heavily wounded people recover 1 wound thanks to the barber-surgeon. Lightly wounded people recover 1d10.
    Last edited by dojango; 2018-11-22 at 07:43 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    As villages go Faucon Pass was certainly different from those in the Empire. Gabriele wandered how long it had even been here. At least the place had guards. She's not as badly hurt as Carl, but will accompany the Halflings to get her leg looked at.

    She doesn't drink that much but will take one here to steady herself. 'Thank you Herr Stangl.' She hadn't expected there to be actual Knights running things down here. 'This Sir Laurens, what's his story?'


    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Assuming I roll the d10 myself
    (1d10)[10]



  27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    "Another arrow wound, eh? Good thing I get a lot of practice on these," says Albrecht. When Gabriele asks about Sir Laurens, he stops what he's doing. Picks up his flagon and raises a glass. "To Sir Laurens!" The villagers mutter and raise their glasses as well. "He's a good lad. Known him his whole life. Delivered him meself, as it were. Aye, that were a tale. We was under siege by the foul Greenskins. Arrows landing all around, the Duke was battling with the enemy leader, while Lady Bremcote was going in to labor with a crossbow in hand. Sir Denis was a lad, maybe five, clutching a wooden sword, and vowing to kill the orcs... those were the days. A horde of orcs had overrun the valley. Duke Bremcote united the villages... fought off the orcs. For that, they made him their ruler. He's been ruling the valley with a fair and just hand ever since. He just awarded Sir Laurens his spurs. Sent him up here to collect the tolls, judge any disputes, that sort of thing. I come up here couple times a year, make sure the guards are healthy enough. You're lucky I was here! Luckier still with that wound. NIce and clean, nothing major, it'll hurt for another day or two. See if you can find some willowbark tea if you can. Next patient!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, roll the 1d10 for yourself so you can mark it on your sheet.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Carl

    Carl moves to the table and gives the Barber-Surgeon a martial nod of respect. 'You look - and sound - like a man who keeps himself informed Here Stangl. This duke and his lad, how do they feel about halfling types?'

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Severin

    "So, umm, there's no Orcs about now, I hope?" Severin asks with a worried look over his shoulder.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa makes her way to the surgeon's as well, asking as she walks in, "Could, ah, someone take a look at my head? I took a nasty club to the skull and I...Haven't really felt right since."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •