The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 669
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    'Right.' No pressure then. Doing this alone was one thing. Being responsible for other people was something else altogether. Gabriele will make sure she has enough water then will move to follow the trail she had found earlier that night. 'Maybe if they were over here watching us they've had as little sleep as we've had.'

    If not for the need to follow the trail she would like to have used what cover there was to hide them from anyone who might be watching. Once again she will try to judge where the best spots might be to ambush them if there was anyone watching them out there.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Perception vs. Int 33 (+20 for Acute Hearing)
    (1d100)[20]



  2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa frowns as she realizes that she's expected to be on one of the scouting parties, but remains silent, instead checking her waterskin and following Gabriele, on edge with short sword drawn.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Once it's light, it's fairly easy for Gabriele to find the mutant's trail. Not many footprints, heading back west. They lead through the maze of twisted rock hills and canyons. After about an hour, Gabriele's sharp ears pick up some distant sounds. Creeping carefully forward, she finds herself at the rim of a small canyon. Down in the valley, there is a gruesome scene... bodies, mutant, man, and mule are hanging from a crude rack. A pile of offal and bone is piled up in a corner. The mutants appear to be butchering and drying the meat from the bodies of the ambush. There are perhaps a dozen of them, each a twisted and unique parody of the human form. They are going about the bloody business of butchering their catch from a hunt. Something Gabriele has seen in hunting camps throughout her life... except for the fact that the bodies are human. Or humanish.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Severin

    As Gabriele begins to creep forward, Severin dismounts and winds Bertrand's reins around a rocky outcrop. "Wait here, there's a good lad," he mutters before moving as quietly as he can after the huntress.

    "We did well to rescue young Bernice from such a fate," he whispers as he takes in the scene. "Shall I ride back and inform Sir Laurens?"

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Severin
    "We did well to rescue young Bernice from such a fate,"
    Gabriele is grim faced as she looks around for any sign of sentries. 'Didn't work for the rest of them.' At least the other members of their caravan were already dead before they were brought here.

    'Do it. If there's more of them out there Sir Laurens ought to be able to handle himself.' If the mutants supposedly knew they were here they seemed awfully relaxed about that.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Severin

    Quickly making his way back to Bertrand, Severin leads the pony a short stretch away from the mutant camp before mounting up and making his way back to Sir Laurens camp at speed. Once there, he informs the young knight of their find, taking care to note the number of visible mutants as well as the location and layout of the camp.

    "They're camped down in a little valley, but we couldn't tell if they've got any boltholes or planned escape routes. Hopefully Gabriele will be able to fill us in on what sort of defences there are once we get there. In the meantime, I advise we proceed with caution - if they hear us coming or if they have sentries we haven't spotted yet, they may be able to escape."

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa stays with Gabriele, though she looks somewhat ill as she averts her gaze from the grisly sight, and whispers, "What positions do you want to take in the meantime?"

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Alyssa stays with Gabriele, though she looks somewhat ill as she averts her gaze from the grisly sight, and whispers, "What positions do you want to take in the meantime?"
    Gabriele looks pained. 'It's the first time I've done something like this. You see a big group like that you normally try to stay away from them.' She'll think for a second, 'I can take a look around just to check that I'm not being paranoid. If you can be quiet you're welcome to come back me up, otherwise here is as good a spot as any to keep an eye on them.'

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Spoiler: Severin at the camp
    Show
    Severin heads back over the dusty hills, following the path they had blazed. He eventually sees a thin plume of smoke from where they had camped. A sentry nods at him as he crests the ridge. A small cookfire burns as a servant heats a small pot over the fire. The two knights wave him over as he delivers his report. "Excellent news!" says Sir Laurens, excitedly. He presses a cup into Severin's hand. "Have a cup of mulled wine, friend." The two knights toss back their cups, in high spirits. "Victory and the Lady!" they shout.

    The sergeant blows three sharp blasts on a whistle, while the soldiers gather their things. The two knights call over servants to help them don their armor. It takes about half an hour for the group to get ready to leave. The sergeant blows the whistle one more time, and frowns. "Move out," yells Sir Leclair. "The other scouts can find us on the move." The group heads out in column towards the mutant's lair.


    At the Mutant's Lair:

    Once Severin leaves, Gabriele sneaks along the edge of the canyon to get a better look. The canyon curves around a bend, and she sees a few mutants head deeper into the canyon. While she is maneuvering to get a better look at the rest of the canyon, she knocks a few rocks loose, which tumble into the canyon with a clatter. She sees the mutants working on one of the mule hides freeze. They look up towards her, pointing. One of them mutters something, and then runs deeper into the canyon. The other doesn't move towards her, but is intently peering in her general direction...
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-01-15 at 10:56 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    This would never have happened if they'd been in a proper forest. Much as she would like to get a look at where those other mutants were heading it might just be a way for them to get up to her. She will move away from the canyon and away from where the others were hiding. If she was lucky maybe she could lead them into Sir Lauren's war party coming the other way.

    When she is far enough away, she'll look for somewhere to hide. Maybe they'd see her as someone who'd merely stumbled across them by accident.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Concealment vs. 43 (+10 Rover)
    (1d100)[40]

    Use FP if needed
    (1d100)[96]


    FP: 3/4

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Gabriele finds a place to hide behind a patch of cactus. After a few minutes, she sees three mutants climb up the cliff wall where she had been hiding. Two of them have bows, the third has a long bloody knife from his tanning work. The bow-armed mutants spend a few minutes looking around where Gabriele had been hiding. After that, one of them gives the skinner a solid backhand slap across the face, and says something like "Back to work, idiot" in guttural Reikspiel. He cringes away and flees down the slope. The two bow-mutants sit at the edge of the canyon and pull out some dried meat and begin eating it.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Well that was easy. Gabriele will draw her bow and continue watching the two on the edge of the canyon. From here it would be an easy shot, or she could just try and push them both over the edge. On the other hand if it didn't work she might have to deal with both of them at the same time. For now she'll wait.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Torendil, who had stayed with the camp, begins gathering up his things when Severin shows back up. He spends the trip mentally running through his spell gestures and incantations--it wouldn't do to embarrass himself in front of the knight and his retinue by fizzling the spells. Also, the repetitive mental task kept his mind off the fact that he was once more going into a situation where things would be trying to kill him, and wondering--not for the first time--if he shouldn't have stayed in town and looked for a different caravan elsewhere. Nothing for it now, however--and besides, didn't all the great archmages command powerful magic that could smite their foes? He might as well get in some practice when he could.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry I've been quiet for a while, things have been busy with the holidays and job hunting and I've let this slip by me. I guess we can just say Torendil has been cooling his heels in camp until now.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa decides not to follow Gabriele, instead deciding to hunker down in place, waiting for the rest of the party to arrive before deciding where and when to move.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2019-01-19 at 03:12 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Once the knights and the soldiers are ready to march, they head out to the west, following Severin's lead. The sergeant blows his whistle every few minutes, until the other scouts rejoin the party. They search the area to the north, they didn't find any signs of the mutant's lair. Nor did they find any lurking ambushers. It takes a few hours for the column to reach the area near the lair.

    It's hot out in the barren hills. As the sun reaches high in the sky, the meager shade disappears. Gabrielle and Alyssa begin to sweat in their hiding places. The mutant sentries finish their meal, and head back down into the canyon. A few hours pass. Eventually, they see a cloud of dust coming from the east. The reinforcements. Down from the canyon, there is the sound of shouting as the mutants sound the alarm. Gabriele sees the mutants return; this time there are four of them, armed with bows, heading east towards the dust cloud. It looks like they are going to try and intercept your friends...

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    The mutants have spotted the incoming column and are moving to intercept... if you have any ideas about how to make the field of battle more advantageous for you, let me know...

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    It was getting uncomfortably warm in this coat, and hiding wouldn't be easy at this time of day, but maybe all she needed to do was distract them a little. She will try to creep over to the lip of the canyon to watch what the other mutants were doing. If not interrupted, she will take as much time as she needs to aim, then will send an arrow after one of the mutants with bows. She does not intend to hang around long after.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Will be running away after assuming she distracts them properly

    Silent Move
    vs. Ag 43 (+10 Rover)
    (1d100)[63]

    Initiative if needed
    (1d10+43)[53]

    Half Action - Aim
    Half Action - Fire at the closest

    vs. BS 47 (+10 Aim) (Range?)
    (1d100)[84]
    or Fortune point
    (1d100)[87]

    Damage (1d10+3 Armour Piercing)
    (1d10+3)[12]


  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Severin

    We're moving too slow and there's too much dust, Severin thinks as Bertrand ambles along. If the mutants have any sentries out at all, they'll see us coming...

    "Ahem! Sir Laurens? May I propose a slight...adjustment to the plan? The sun is high, the day is clear, and I can't help but notice that we're generating a substantial amount of dust. I worry that, if the mutants have sentries out, they will already have noticed our approach. Would it not be wise to send a squad of men ahead to scout out the approaches to the mutant camp? If the mutants have prepared any mischief we might discover them before they attack, and if they're preparing to flee, the squad might be able to delay them."

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Gabriele carefully aims at one of the mutants. Unaware of her presence, they make no effort to dodge the arrow. It sinks deep into the back of one of the mutants, who yells out in pain. They grab their bows and turn, but Gabriele is running away. Three of them chase after her, while the injured one ducks down behind some rocks. Gabriele is leading them away from the canyon and from the rest of their friends... but also away from her reinforcements.

    Meanwhile, Severin makes his suggestion to the knights. They turn and think for a moment. Sir Laurens says, "I say, I'd like to see some action today, instead of skulking about." Sir Leclair responds, "They say there's a lot of waiting, and only a little terror. Guess this is what they mean." The sergeant details a few men to act as scouts. They climb to the top of a ridge, and wave the group forward. You keep heading west. About ten minutes later, one of the scouts comes back and draws a little sketch on the ground. "There's a canyon up ahead. Saw a dozen of... those things... waiting at the entrance. Saw a few fellas poking their heads up at the top of the rim, too. Archers, I reckon.


  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Torendil frowns. Charging into a canyon full of hostiles--with archer support, no less--did not strike him as a plan which gave him a high chance of living to see another sunrise. He thinks for a moment, then speaks up. Perhaps this was an opportunity to impress the knight. "I could provide a distraction, perhaps. I can create sounds behind them--such as galloping horses, perhaps. It may be enough to cause confusion, distract the archers, or even convince them all to break and run. At the very least your soldiers may be able to overrun the group in the canyon before the archers realize there is no other threat and can aid them."
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    The two knights look at each other for a few seconds. Finally, Sir Laurens says, "Do what you think best, Master Elf. Very exciting. Fighting alongside a wizard, eh? My brother can't say that. Just like the paintings."

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    "Sir Laurens, if you intend to charge the defenders, then perhaps it would also be wise to have the scouts attack the archers at the same time? I will gladly go with them and I dearly hope Gabriele and Alyssa are still out there and can add their strength to the attack."

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Hard to fight with an arrow in your leg, and leading them away was good enough. Gabriele is mostly going to try and repeat her earlier feat of finding somewhere to hide or at the very least find something to put between her and the mutants so they don't have as easy a time of it shooting her.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Concealment vs. Ag 43 (+10 Rover)
    (1d100)[82]
    or fortune point
    (1d100)[11]


    FP: 1/4

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa, seeing the party, attempts to quietly make her way along the ridge to where the archers are lying in wait, looking for an opportunity to silently pick a few of the archers off and take part in the distraction effort.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth: (1d100)[42] vs Ag (30)

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Torendil stands up a bit straighter at the knights' reaction, though there is a bit of worry at the back of his mind. Still, he mentally prepares himself for the fight coming up, trying to clear his mind in preparation.
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    The soldiers carefully creep to the top of the small ridge, and peer down at the mouth of the canyon. They confer a moment amongst themselves. The sergeant raises his sword, and the soldiers yell, "For the Lady and for Bremcote!" and charge down the ridge towards the waiting mutants. The archers follow a moment later, trying to find a spot to loose their arrows at the enemy. As Torendil and Severin creep to the top of the ridge, they see a dozen of the twisted, inhuman mutants standing at the entrance to the canyon. They ready their weapons and prepare to receive the soldier's charge... On the north rim of the canyon, they can see four archers carefully drawing and aiming their bows at the incoming soldiers. On the south rim, there is no sign of any mutants.

    Further along the south rim of the canyon, Gabriele finds a crevice in a rock pile, and crawls into the shadows. The pursuing mutants pass her hiding place, and look around. One of them sees movement further south, points, and shouts. The three mutants head over to where Alyssa is trying to conceal herself behind some thorny bushes...

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ionbound's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Alyssa swears as she realizes the mutants have seen her and draws her blade, backpedaling away from the rim and reinforcements as she looks around wildly for help.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Draw blade, move away from the mutants with as little distance as possible made between myself and Gabriele.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    There was no way this could work again could it? She couldn't leave Alyssa alone though.

    Gabriele will scramble out from the crevice she was hiding in and will whistle at the mutants to get their attention. With no time to aim, she'll fire another arrow at the closest.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Half Action - Move
    Half Action - Shoot

    vs. BS 47 (+ range?)
    (1d100)[2]

    1d10+3 Armour Piercing
    (1d10+3)[13]

    Ulric's rolls in the ooc

    FP: 1/4


  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Severin

    "Any time you're ready, Torendil," Severin says. "I'll cover you." Loading his sling, he gives it a quick twirl and looses a sling stone at the nearest archer on the north rim.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Half action: Load sling
    Half action: Standard attack with sling (1d100)[34] vs. BS 48
    Damage (1d10+3)[10]

    Ulric's Fury if applicable:
    Standard attack with sling (1d100)[86]
    Damage (1d10+3)[12]

    Severin has his shield equipped, so ranged attacks against him take a -10 penalty.
    Wounds (remaining/total): 10/10
    Fortune Points (used/total): 0/3

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Torendil catches his breath as the soldiers charge forward, closing his eyes and drawing in magical energy. Just a distraction--enough to divert the archers.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Channeling test as half action

    vs WP+10 (51)
    (1d100)[1]

    Casting the Sounds spell as a half action

    Casting Number: 4
    Casting Roll: (1d10)[9] (+1 for successful channeling test)

    The spell can create a sound ranging from a whisper to a roar in volume, and can replicate anything other than speech. I would like to create the sound of hooves (like charging horses), possibly with the sound of shouting if that's okay, behind the archers--enough to make them think there's cavalry charging them as well.

    In the event that the casting roll is a 1:
    vs WP (41)
    (1d100)[87]
    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

    Three mutants draw their bows and nock arrows. One of the mutants suddenly crumples to the desert floor, arrow protruding from his neck. The other mutants, surprised, let fly their arrows harmlessly into the distance as Alyssa runs towards where she thinks Gabriele is hiding. She is about halfway to the rockpile that shelters Gabriele.

    Torendil thinks of the sounds of hoofbeats, of horns blowing. He tries to create a ripple in the aether on the hills behind the mutant archers. A strange spell, one more used for practical jokes than on a battlefield... but on the canyon rim, he can see the mutants scatter as they turn and look behind them. One of them catches Severin's slingstone to his left arm as he tries to scamper away.

    Meanwhile, the two knights race ahead of the soldiers, lances couched. Sir Lauren's blow takes one of the mutants squarely in the shoulder, and it falls, mangled arm hanging from its lifeless body. Sir Leclair's blow is off-center, and the mutant reels, but weakly swings its club at the knight. The two knights are quickly surrounded by half the mutants, swinging their clubs, trying to bring the over-proud horsemen down. A few blows rain down upon them, and they throw their lances aside and draw swords. The soldiers rush to the aid of their leader, swords drawn. The mutants put up a surprisingly fierce defense, although one falls, an arrow sticking from his chest, as one of the soldiers staggers back from a sudden and unexpected blow to the head.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •