New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Flight 265 [IC] - Issue 1 - Awakenings

Eric McMahon

Testing and cleanup of Superfund sites. I was on my way to a site when the, er, incident happened. Eric gave a wry grin. I guess I could get my old job back. I doubt all the sites have been cleaned up in just two years.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

"That's true. I doubt people outgrew making messes while we were out of it."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

Robert looked to someone else not talking about complicated sciencey things and pretended to fall asleep, making a quiet snore-like sound.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrews looked at the 'pretend snoring' young man for a second, before attempting to inject life in to the conversation. "You may as well do some kind of introduction to each other - you're going to be spending the next few days - at least - in the same suite." He glanced out the window, looking for the van. "Not to mention the next few minutes here waiting for the van."

[[OOC]]
    Sorry to slow it down so much - I have to wait for the walkers to get to the apartment before the fun can begin. But hey - time for some shameless character development and XP grabbing-at.
    *Insert something witty here*

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric McMahon

Eric looked at the agent and laughed. Well, why not? As I said, I'm an engineer with the EPA. Until all of this happened, I had a rather boring life. Wife, no kids. 2 dogs. A job I enjoyed, which is a good thing since I can probably go back to it. He chuckled, then gave the agent a wry grin. Unless, of course, I get abducted by aliens again and become another 'guest' of the NSA.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

"Might as well get to know each other. Name's Nathan James, and I used to work for the State Department. Kept me pretty busy, so no wife or kids. I don't know if I'll be going back. I was seriously considering getting out before the flight; I wanted to live a little, you know?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric chuckled. I thought all diplomats did was live. Cocktail parties. Building openings. Making an appearance every time the host nation's government opened. That kind of thing. He winked to show he was teasing.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan grinned.

"Me too. Of course, we always thought you EPA guys were all young idealists who save the world from the evils of pollution."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric McMahon

Eric laughed heartily. Who says we aren't?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jackson Ford

"My name's Jackson Ford. I'm a biochemist by trade--BS in Biology from the University of Georgia, then a Masters of Biochemistry from MIT. I worked at the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, but I'm a bit of a gamer and programmer, and wrote a couple of freeware games on the side. No family to speak of--had a Pen Pal in Boston, and my sister in LA, but that's about it. Was on vacation when the Incident happened."
    Got Fire?
    Spoiler
    Show

Siggies by Dr. Bath. Avatar by Dr. Bath. Thanks a bundle, guys!

11. - Top - End - #71

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

"Uh...name's Robert. I'm a...was a senior in high school. I was flying back to LA after attending a convention in Boston.

Aaaand this whole thing just hit me. F**k. I'm 19...20? What month is it?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Hi, my name is Ann..." replied the young woman, who had remained silent for most of this "...I was working on my PhD in Math before the - incident? Is that what we're calling it? Anyway - I'm actually from Canada, I was on my way to LA to get married. Though I guess we've lost our deposit by now. Lawrence - the one who left to walk who didn't put a hole in the wall - is my fiancee." She let her voice trail off after that, not really sure what else to say.

Agent Andrews filled in after a moment's silence. "There's the van..." he said as he pulled the blinds from the window once more to look out. "...it's one of the big eight-seaters, so it will take all of you. I'd ride along, but I've got a few more groups who are waiting to be interviewed. There's an agent in the van though, and I'll be in close contact. Your suite will have my cellphone number in it if you need anything."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric gave Ann a look of envy. She still has her love with her, he thought. I don't.

With a sigh, he left and got in the van.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan stood and shook the agent's hand.

"You'll forgive me for not being entirely happy with the events that brought us to you, but thank you for being honest with us."

He entered the van and buckled his seatbelt.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-09-30 at 08:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison
    "Any chance i can get internet access? I have two years of forum threads to catch up on. I'll do it as a Guest instead of trying to sign in unless you think it would be ok."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The agent shook his head at Robert's request. "I can ask if you want, but frankly I don't think we'd have it installed before we'll be sending you back to your homes. If you really need to, there's always the internet cafes and what have you. Might not be suitable for catching up on two years of forum activity though."

"To all of you - go to the suite, sit back and relax. Get some breakfast. Watch some television. Read a book or a newspaper. Try to get your bearings. But don't push yourselves too hard. Let things take their course, and everything will go smoothly. I'll be in touch."

With that he nodded to the van driver, and closed the door shut. In another moment the van was on it's way, then - after maybe thirty seconds, if that - it arrived at the stately Robson Arms. Well, stately wasn't the right word for it. It actually was just another faceless building amongst many, with only the sign that hung above the entry way to give any idea that it was the intended destination.

The timing was perfect - Lawrence and Daniel were about three steps behind the Van, and by the time everyone had unbuckled and exited the vehicle - well, all could mill about as a group again. Entering the hotel, it was just as blank and faceless as the outside. There was a receptionist behind a desk, but she didn't even look up. "Just step in the elevators and swipe your cards. It will take you to your suite."

Doing so, it took the group to an (unsurprisingly) blank hallway, with a single door - one which presumably would lead to the suite. Another swipe of the card, and the door opened.

The room itself was well appointed, especially in comparison to the rest of the rather spartan building. The door opened into a common area, with two couches, a love-seat and two recliners - all of rich, dark leather - and accompanying coffee and side tables. The floor was a dark hardwood of some type, kept well and free of scratches. On the north wall was a big picture window. Beyond that, a small, apartment-sized kitchen/dining room, a hallway and two large bathrooms, each connected to a one of the bedrooms.

The bedrooms - now there was the thing. Eight identical rooms - although only seven needed occupying. A double bed, a vanity, a night stand, a television (there was none in the common room, but it's better this way, since everyone will probably want to watch somethig different anyways) and - finally - the rest of your things.

[[OOC]] Moving things along. Feel free to muss about your room for awhile before I start making with the intrigue.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan entered his new room, happy that the quality of his accommodations didn't match the severe appearance of the building's outside. He turned the TV to CNN, more out of a desire for background noise than information. He glanced around the room and noticed his overnight bag sitting in the corner. His heart froze as he noticed that his carry-on briefcase was missing. He quickly searched the rest of his room, hoping that it had merely been accidentally kicked to the side, to no avail. He calmed himself long enough to stick his head out the bedroom door. He'd worked for Uncle Sam long enough to know that errors were part of any large government operation. Perhaps there had been a mistake in delivery.

"Did anyone end up with extra bag? I can't find my carry-on."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric McMahon

Eric looked around his room. It appeared all of his luggage had arrived. This is getting weirder, he said to himself. Flipping on CNN Headline News, he laid down on the bed to get caught up on events. I still can't believe the Democrats lost the election, he said as VP Rice appeared on the screen. Everything was set up perfectly for them to win. He thought for a moment. I wonder who's running the EPA now...

Headline News switched back to the top of their 30-minute broadcast, bringing back stories Eric had already seen. As if on cue, his stomach growled. Well, the agent did say something about breakfast...

He strolled to the kitchen. Hmm... Sausage, eggs, milk, cheese, bread... I feel like making Christmas Morning breakfast. And that would feed all of us. For as long as he could remember, his family had eaten a casserole every Christmas Morning. Since he was in college, he had helped his father make it. Let's see if I remember the reciepe.

19. - Top - End - #79

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

Robert lay down on his bed, absorbing the moment. A few minutes passed and he turned on the tv to the Sci-Fi channel, eagerly taking in the new bad movie of the day.

When the smell of cooked goods reached him, his stomach growled in frustration. Robert got out of the bed and made his way to the kitchen.

"What chya making?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

Daniel seemed to be in better spirits after his walk, giving the others a friendly smile as they met in front of the hotel. Once in his room he made use of the opportunity to run to the bathroom for some much needed showering, shaving, and other concerns of personal hygiene. When he returned to his room, he locked the door, dumped his towel on a chair, and put on some jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt he had in his luggage. Afterwards, he met Eric and Robert in the common area as the food started cooking. Curiously, the smell made him queasy...he wasn't ready to eat quite yet. So he flopped down on the couch, taking a moment to relax and let everything that had happened since they woke up sink in.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jackson Ford

Jackson settled into his new room, testing the bed and turning his TV to the Science Channel. Wathcing whatever program was on for a few minutes, he eventually shook his head and looked for anything he could write on and with--pencil, paper, pen, napkins... He made a ntoe to pick up a journal--maybe he could turn this into a game idea.
    Got Fire?
    Spoiler
    Show

Siggies by Dr. Bath. Avatar by Dr. Bath. Thanks a bundle, guys!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

On the Television
    It's mostly a smattering of standard early-morning television - news programs, children's show and re-runs of re-runs. Not very exciting fare, but what do you expect? It's no later than 6:30 yet.

In the Apartment
    The group lounges around the suite, doing their own thing, trying in their own way to get comfortable in a very uncomfortable situation. Only Lawrence and Ann seem to respond to Nathan's question about a missing carry-on, both in the negative.

Then, after about ten minutes, a knock echoes through the suite, followed by the opening of the main door. Three men, dressed in a colour you might as well call 'NSA Black' enter, and look around the suite for a moment. "Mr. Nathan James..." says one of them (obviously the leader) in a booming, military-like voice, before laying his eyes upon the man whose name he just spoke. "We need to have a word with you..." he continued "...alone." He gestured to the lone unoccupied bedroom and guided the young ex-diplomat away from the others.

[[OOC]]
    h_v and I will continue in PM's, the rest of you have fun making breakfast!!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric McMahon

Eric rolled his eyes as the agents led Nathan away. They all think they're so cool, with their black suits and sunglasses.

24. - Top - End - #84

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

"Could it have something to do with that missing bag? Do...do you think he might have been a terrorist?" Robert looked a little shocked at the idea. He was scared enough of flying in planes, even more so with the current situation, but adding on a possibility of a terrorist attack blew his mind.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric McMahon

I doubt it. If he had been, they would never have let him out of the hospital where we woke up.

26. - Top - End - #86

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

Robert calmed down a bit, but he still was a little shaken up from the initial adrenaline rush of the idea.

Robert stood there, the awkward silence creeping in.

"So........how bout them Yankee's?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

"Good question." Daniel replied from the couch with a small grin. He'd missed two years of football, baseball, and any other sport one cared to follow. He knew it was just a way to fill the silence, but it struck him as humorous for some reason. "Hey, maybe that bag was government property?" Daniel said, focusing once again on the situation at hand. He lounged on the couch for about five seconds more, tapping his fingers on his thigh before bouncing up again. "I'm going to see if I can hear anything."

Daniel crept carefully to the bedroom where the three agents had led Nathan. He leaned against the wall adjacent to the door and leaned his ear in. Not quite pressing it to the door but close enough where he might be able to catch something. If they came out, he'd just lean against the wall and smile. What were they going to do? Arrest him? Boredom was a great influence on the desire to do stupid things it seemed.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2007-10-03 at 01:04 PM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric McMahon

Eric gave Robert a sympathetic smile and shoved a plate with breakfast casserole in his hands. Have some food. Everything looks better with food in you. He watched Daniel walk down the hall towards the bedroom. I have to admit, I'm tempted to join him, but it would look rather strange to have both of us standing there.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Daniel's attempt to listen at the door did not result in him hearing anything. This is because seconds after arriving at the door-side, the door swung open and two men emerged. The first man through the door was a hulk of a man, powerful enough that his 'opening the door' amounted to nearly knocking it off its hinges. He rolled outwards from the door for quite some distance, staying low to the ground, and was followed by a second, similar man (although not nearly as large). A third man appeared in the doorway, with no sign of Nathan.

It took a moment to notice exactly what was going on. The surprise of the men appearing from the doorway was enough to attract people's attention, but it drew everyone's mind away from what was really going on. The room was exploding in a hail of gunfire. The first two gentlemen who appeared produced a pair of small, automatic weapons (likely uzi's - although none among you are versed enough in weaponry to know exactly what they are) and were unloading large amounts of rounds into the room. The third man, still upon the threshold of the bedroom, had a small pistol weapon, and was taking precise, targeted shots.

Almost no one had time to react. Daniel, so close to the action, was hit by several rounds. A few more rounds flew towards the kitchen. That's where the weirdness began. Bullets flew towards Robert and Eric in the kitchen. Robert, being the closer of the two, reacted first, bringing his arms up in front of his face. The bullets, destined for some part of his body, stopped, brought to a halt by a blinding flash to brilliant yellow flame, and fell to the floor - twisted and deformed by the heat.

Then, behind Daniel, Ann - caught by surprise by the noise and the hail of gunfire - stood like a deer in headlights. Lawrence - just rounding the corner - caught sight of the whole scene, and reacted much more quickly. "No..." he screamed before vanishing, and reappearing in front of Ann - just in time to catch the bullet that was destined for her.

He fell to the floor in a heap.

[[OOC]]
    Just when you all thought you were never going to get to use your super powers! Combat time for everyone but Jackson (he's in his room writing stuff, but he can join in the second round).

Some of you will be recieving notes about other things you noticed happening, so please check your PM's before posting!

Order is:
    1: Nathan
    2: Agent #3
    3: Daniel
    4: Eric
    5: Agent #1
    6: Robert
    7: Ann
    8: Agent #2

Down: Lawrence

Battle Map (or why it took so long for me to post this!):

Key:
    Red Lines: Wall
    White Lines: Doors
    Yellow Line: Large Picture Window
    Dots:
    Black = Nathan
    Red = Agent #1
    Dark Grey = Agent #2
    Orange = Agent #3
    Yellow = Daniel
    Green = Jackson
    Blue = Robert
    Purple = Eric
    Grey Blocks: Furniture
    Last edited by The_New_Guy; 2007-10-04 at 09:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

As the men burst out of the room and started shooting innocent people, Nathan's fear disappeared, replaced almost instantly by shock. Then, very quickly, it transformed again into fury.

"Like hell I'm going to sit back and watch this!"

Nathan rose up from his seat and bore down on the leader, attempting to wrestle the gun from his hands.

((Disarm attempt against Agent #1))