New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Good RPG For Doom?

Doom. That visceral, satisfying game where you just to blast demons all day long.

What's a good RPG to mimic that feel? That over-the-top action, that slightly corny but amazingly awesome feel, the ability to just FEEL like a badass?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Good RPG For Doom?

The fun of carnage in Doom comes from going through hordes of weak enemies at once. I don't think this translates to RPGs. It would get boring very fast.

RPGs excel more at memorable boss fights and tactical maneuvering.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You could probably do a solid DOOM hack using the FFG Warhammer 40K RPGs. Stat Doomguy as a Space Marine-grade character and scale enemies as if they were meant for human-scale opponents, then RIP and TEAR. In fact, the Space Marine action game is basically this, Doom starring an Astartes warrior as he RIPS AND TEARS his way through tons of bad guys.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2018-09-30 at 03:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The fun of carnage in Doom comes from going through hordes of weak enemies at once. I don't think this translates to RPGs. It would get boring very fast.

RPGs excel more at memorable boss fights and tactical maneuvering.
    It translates to RPGs just fine, you just need to pick the right ones. For instance, Anima Prime can handle this beautifully, for all that the feel is anything but Doom.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It translates to RPGs just fine, you just need to pick the right ones. For instance, Anima Prime can handle this beautifully, for all that the feel is anything but Doom.
    How much does Anima Prime cost?

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'm assuming you mean a tabletop RPG, but in case you aren't Might and Magic 6 has been described as 'fantasy Doom'. You can get it on gog.

Really any pen-and-paper game can be Doom if you listen to Slayer during fights and air-guitar when it isn't your turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

"3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars" was made for mowing down hordes of aliens. You could change that to demons very easily.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    How much does Anima Prime cost?
    It's free as a .pdf, I don't know the print on demand price. I really wouldn't recommend it for Doom though.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It's free as a .pdf, I don't know the print on demand price. I really wouldn't recommend it for Doom though.
    I mean, if it's free, why not at least look?

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm a pretty massive Doom fan and I've tried to come up with some ideas for hacking together something that feels right. The main stumbling block is that Doom is essentially 3D Robotron, which means that it relies on tactical mobility and twitch reflexes, both of which are difficult to translate into tabletop mechanics. The boardgame Frag might work, but it's not quite as flavorful as I prefer, besides the fact that it's primarily PVP.

I do know there's an official Doom-esque supplement coming to Shadow of the Demon Lord, which I'm excited to run, but that will likely have the horror elements of Doom held far above the breakneck-speed combat. (I still fully intend on buying it on release, though!)

About the only thing I can think of would be coming up with your own system or using something like Fudge for quick resolution of actions. Plus, since the game would probably be played as "always-on" combat, you would want to have discreet maps that easily translate into grids, rules for dodging hitscans/bullets and projectiles, and other fairly game-y mechanics. Which is not bad at all, but you'll probably end up with more of a board game than an RPG. (Though the distinction is of course subjective and not really even all that important.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, what you lot clearly need to do is take a middle step and play Doom Roguelike, or DRL as it's known these days. That should give you ideas on how to turn a 3D real time shooter into 2D turnbased RPG.

As for a system, start with something simple, like a D&D retroclone. Appropriate ideas from DRL one at a time. If putting together your own system doesn't appeal to you, Cyberpunk probably has everything you need save for suitable enemies.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

12. - Top - End - #12

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Doom. That visceral, satisfying game where you just to blast demons all day long.

What's a good RPG to mimic that feel? That over-the-top action, that slightly corny but amazingly awesome feel, the ability to just FEEL like a badass?
    Savage Worlds. Over-the-top cinematic action is the niche it scratches best. Throw on the Battle Suit power armor, stat Doom guy up to be sufficiently badass and throw some "extra" demons in front of him and you got a recipe for a splash zone.

Some of the weirder guns would just be Weird Science devices that Doom guy finds and still uses shooting to activate.

Yeah you could get this done with the $10 core rulebook.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

One problem with using Savage Worlds is that (at least in the base rules) there's no way to dodge missiles, which is a rather essential skill for Doom. Easy enough to houserule that, though.

Feng Shui, maybe? It's all about the over-the-top gunplay, crazy stunts, and other flashy violence. Tragically, cyber-demons are no longer a default character class in 2nd edition.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2018-10-08 at 12:35 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    One problem with using Savage Worlds is that (at least in the base rules) there's no way to dodge missiles, which is a rather essential skill for Doom. Easy enough to houserule that, though.
    Actually not even a house-rule.

Whether or not you get an agility check to doge AOEs is GM dependent. For example in my current campaign, most people can't dodge missiles. But one of the PC runs over well over 100 Km/h (while everyone else is moving 36' per round), so I rule that he can make agility checks to dodge missiles.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

It's a boardgame and not an RPG, and I haven't actually played it, but:

SEAL Team Flix recently popped up on my radar. It's a dexterity based board game involving flicking disks, shuffleboard style throws, etc, all tied to things like combat, hacking electronic locks, etc. It's a little out there, yes, but it might just work for Doom, which was always a twitch game.

At the very least it's interesting conceptually. Position yourself in an area where you need to dodge three fireballs from demons? Cool, here's basically an air hockey table minus the air with three obstacles thrown on it. Bounce your puck into the goal now. I wouldn't recommend this for most things, but for Doom it just seems to fit.

-- ChubbyRain

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think it helps much with what you're actually looking for, but I totally got a different vibe from Doom, all the times I've played the various games. so I strolled in about to suggest Colonial Marines, or The Regiment.

reading this thread makes me think there's some bizarre "Doom: the Anime" floating around out there that I've never played, lol.
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    Currently developing Mythikal Fantasy and coreTEK, both using Cortex Prime
    TwitterDiscord

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

There's a Doom boardgame. Has some rather nice-looking minis.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Rhedyn View Post
    Savage Worlds. Over-the-top cinematic action is the niche it scratches best. Throw on the Battle Suit power armor, stat Doom guy up to be sufficiently badass and throw some "extra" demons in front of him and you got a recipe for a splash zone.

Some of the weirder guns would just be Weird Science devices that Doom guy finds and still uses shooting to activate.

Yeah you could get this done with the $10 core rulebook.
    I'll second Savage Worlds. Maybe look for some sourcebooks that have more Edges for Ranged Weapons and stuff or think some up yourself (Necropolis might be a good start it has religious marines in body armor fighting undead demon hordes with big guns, flamethrowers and so on, haven't played it a lot but I think it would be rather easy to use most of that stuff for a Doom setting), the core engine is pretty much perfect for this, battlemap based tactical combat where you can easily throw a horde of demonzombie-thingies on the map and watch the PCs shred them to pieces until they arrive at the level boss which really challenges them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Savage Worlds or a reskinned D&D 4e.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

You could probably do it fairly easily in Starfinder as a Soldier in Powered Armor, using weapons well above the level of the things you're fighting to simulate the run and gun gameplay. You could even pull in some demons from PF to go with the SF ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd second 3:16.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I second Starfinder, they have a nice assortment of guns for soldiers.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by angille View Post
    reading this thread makes me think there's some bizarre "Doom: the Anime" floating around out there that I've never played, lol.
    I have been told that GoblinSlayer is basic fantasy Doom, but have not seen it myself.

As for playing Doom, a Deathwatch Kill Marine is basically the Doom-guy already, although he usually deals with xenos instead of demons.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    I have been told that GoblinSlayer is basic fantasy Doom, but have not seen it myself.

As for playing Doom, a Deathwatch Kill Marine is basically the Doom-guy already, although he usually deals with xenos instead of demons.
    I thought of Deathwatch largely because of the excellently gory critical hit tables. If you're so much stronger than your enemies that every attack puts the target into deep crits, you're basically getting hilarious executions all the time.

25. - Top - End - #25

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    Sort of. Goblin Slayer doesn't just rip and tear through goblins. He methodically kills them with whatever means at his disposal. For example, if the nest is near a river, he will divert the stream into the nest after plugging other escape routes to drown all the goblins.

He really hates goblins.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    "3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars" was made for mowing down hordes of aliens. You could change that to demons very easily.
    Came here to suggest that. Hey, look, it's cheap at DriveThru!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After reading this thread, I now want to do a Doom inspired chapter in my upcoming Starfinder game. If one was to use the Starfinder setting, what monsters would you use for the demons?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Starfinder is extraordinarily bad for playing an adventure about mowing down hordes.
    Approximately as much bad as dnd or pathfinder.
    But you can do something about fighting demons with starfinder: you can just take pathfinder monsters and adapt them for a bunch of demons then complete with "zombies" and "possessed people" by taking monsters from starfinder and re-fluffing then make some demons with basic ranged attacks for the whole chain of progression from imp to baron of hell.
    And if you are ready to spend turns lasting a few dozen minutes each (You can reduce that a lot if you skip tactics and have training rolling buckets of dice but then it will not be very cinematic but with that you can reduce turns to a few minutes each) you can have a fight with 20 demons involved but it will be clunky and starfinder is not adapted to that.
    Last edited by noob; 2018-10-16 at 09:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Starfinder is extraordinarily bad for playing an adventure about mowing down hordes.
    Disagree, all the SF weapons have levels and a ton of them have AoE options. Mowing down hordes is the same in SF as it is in D&D and many other RPGs - be higher level than the things you're fighting, and be able to damage multiple things at once. It's safe to conclude that Doom Guy was much higher level than the demons he was up against given that (a) he was some kind of ancient legendary warrior and (b) he could storm Hell itself and survive.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    And if you are ready to spend turns lasting a few dozen minutes each (You can reduce that a lot if you skip tactics and have training rolling buckets of dice but then it will not be very cinematic but with that you can reduce turns to a few minutes each)
    "Cinematic?" It's Doom. You roll damage, things die, you move to the next room. The core strategy comes from properly positioning yourself, managing ammo and health, and finding keys to progress. Really, only the boss fights should come close to feeling like a traditional encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Disagree, all the SF weapons have levels and a ton of them have AoE options. Mowing down hordes is the same in SF as it is in D&D and many other RPGs - be higher level than the things you're fighting, and be able to damage multiple things at once. It's safe to conclude that Doom Guy was much higher level than the demons he was up against given that (a) he was some kind of ancient legendary warrior and (b) he could storm Hell itself and survive.
    "Extraordinarily bad" can be taken as "No where near as good"

Like you could approximate Doom Guy as a 40K Primarch and just use the Wargame rules against hordes of Chaos demons. I believe there is ways to spend more points on units like that, which could be your upgrades. That would fit a lot better than 3.X or 5e. 4e could work well just by making most demons minions (1 hit point). Likewise, I believe Savage Worlds could do this even better.

Basically, the closer you approach a Wargame, the better the RPG is going to be for Doom. Mainly because Doom is about combat. Not so much creative combat, but raw run&gun/melee murdering.

Like maybe Starfinder could work well enough, but it's designed for it's niche and is fairly inflexible.