New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Default Skill Cost in GURPS

So I'm starting GURPS Lite 4e, and I got an important question: On the Buying Skills table, are the costs cumulative? To get a +1 score in an Easy Skill, do you spend 2 points (the listed cost) or 3 points (the listed cost PLUS the previous levels)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skill Cost in GURPS

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgo View Post
    So I'm starting GURPS Lite 4e, and I got an important question: On the Buying Skills table, are the costs cumulative? To get a +1 score in an Easy Skill, do you spend 2 points (the listed cost) or 3 points (the listed cost PLUS the previous levels)?
    You pay just the listed cost.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

So if you are moving from +1 to +2, you can subtract the cost of the previous levels from the listed cost of +2?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgo View Post
    So if you are moving from +1 to +2, you can subtract the cost of the previous levels from the listed cost of +2?

Look at the table on page 13, which notes that you pay for "Your Final Skill Level", which shows that this holds for character creation. It also holds for advancement as seen on page 17, which includes the paragraph "Earned character points can be used to increase your skills or add new ones. When you improve a skill, the cost is the difference between your current skill level and the cost of the new skill level."

So, yes.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It goes spend 1 point, spend 1 point, spend 2 points, and then spend 4 points for each improvement there after.