The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

i am back to regular intenet at home so posting should be more or less once a day or as needed

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

so i think we can worry over the corpses after we clear the ship as much as we are able

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure if I'll get to post right away, my Grandma passed away and I'll only have my phone for a few more days.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Best wishes

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

take your time, best wishes

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

thought that shape wood had been previously cast, hope the retro works

7. - Top - End - #667
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Are we good? It seems like we've hit a slump.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Being back to 3 I was waiting for Daishain to post before going forward. But it has been a bit, I'll try to get something done soon.

The doors were barricaded from the outside before, but you have cleared most of it. Well not so much barricaded so they couldn't open, since they open in, but the entrance was piled full of random things to make it hard for them to get out.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You were waiting on me? I was waiting on you to resolve what I already posted
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

just here checkn in

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

I saw your attack earlier, then just completely missed addressing it in the next post.

It will have hit AC, but not taken the creature out, assuming you were shooting at the same one as Olivia.

Not going with concealment as I'm assuming Bodaku did make larger holes with shape wood.

Ariadne can to do something for the second turn still.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

so are we back to 3 of us?

13. - Top - End - #673
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Sounds that way.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

Seems that way for sure.

The elemental is dead, as is the center undead. I made the map prior to making the rolls, so I didn't go back and change it.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

re-do of attack roll
    Bottom Right OH: Empowered Holy Water Extract (1d20-4)[0] confirm crit (1d20-4)[13] damage (2d4+4)[11]

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

miss direction
    (1d8)[5]

reflex save vs dc16
    (1d20+1)[3]

will save vs dc17
    (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d20+3)[15]

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Olivia, did you actually have vials of holy water to empower?
    ( specific OOC post 634 , specific IC post 518) by default my last specific post OOC shows holy water, and last IC post specific says prepare daily which would default to the OOC last to include holy water

edit um - Alchemy Crafting 25 gp , craft holy water - spell Empower Holy Water - otherwise - no i did not have holy water purchased

my bad for presuming it to work the way i indicate if it does not
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-11-14 at 07:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

Even though it is listed as an alchemical item, it seems to only be able to be created with the Bless Water spell, and Empower Holy Water takes an existing Holy Water and makes it more powerful, rather than creating a more powerful version from plain water.
    I hadn't really looked into it until you used it.
    Although for the near future, NPC Azaro can create Holy Water until he's gone.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

all good it missed - way missed.. any objection to my replacing the spell on the sheet? otherwise next chance in a town i will by holy water ?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think it's fairly safe to say that we'll just take the two cannons that are in decent condition. Trying to recover and use the other two sounds like a good way to install big fragmentation grenades on our own ship with loose retainer pins

In regards to the cargo, probably not going to try and take all of that either. Even if it is recoverable, linen soaked in seawater is not going to fetch much of a price. I suggest we just take the things that still have enough value to be more than worth the effort and time required to take it.

If that still essentially takes all day to load what we are taking, so be it
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

GM from when we got everything on board ship to present was there time enough to use identify extracts (up to 5 per day) on any of these things
    1. steel breastplate
    2. shield - has a moderate abjuration aura
    3. a warhammer - metal head has greenish sheen to it.
    4. scroll case with a few scrolls inside. - magical
    5. two potions - magical.

if not no worries it can do it after we make port - presuming alot
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-12-02 at 08:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay this information
    They're all armed, with swords or daggers at their belts, and crossbows around a few people, but none are actively out. The ships themselves seem to be sitting mid depth, so not fully loaded and not empty, similarly to how your ship is loaded at this point.
    tells me a lot of things, the ship coming out, if it were a normal merchant vessel, would either be fully loaded or empty. However it is riding partially loaded, next its crew are actively carting weapons about, and the ship running in parallel has a similar complement.
    my personal experience plus it is d&d.. says its a trap.

so by slowing and altering course it will either force them to change course telling us of the trap, or the 2 ship continue as before and we maintain for a short while at a heightened state of readiness

edit notation
    looking at the available spells from you guys
    gust of wind (approximately 50 mph) directed at the main sails should give our ship a much needed boost of speed, if it comes down to it.
    IF they alter course towards us we wait until they are close, as in 1-2 ship lengths out, then drop full sail, and cast the gust, and continue to recast until they are well behind
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-12-05 at 04:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I only have the one gust of wind spell prepared, so we will have to make the best use we can out of that one burst. I will have to prepare more of that spell in the future if this proves to be a useful maneuver.

We could also go for a variation on our first ship jacking, and swim over to sabotage their Rudder when they get close. That would let us easily get away while they're messing with it, or make it slightly easier to take their ship for that matter
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-12-05 at 08:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    I only have the one gust of wind spell prepared, so we will have to make the best use we can out of that one burst. I will have to prepare more of that spell in the future if this proves to be a useful maneuver.

We could also go for a variation on our first ship jacking, and swim over to sabotage their Rudder when they get close. That would let us easily get away while they're messing with it, or make it slightly easier to take their ship for that matter
    while it is an idea, lets not forget there are 2 ships and they may be allied, as a saying goes live to fight another day.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

oh absolutely, if these guys are hostile and we're not just getting antsy, just getting away is plan A, taking their ship is an optional objective that we will only consider pursuing if it looks to be feasible
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-12-05 at 09:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    oh absolutely, if these guys are hostile and we're not just getting antsy, just getting away is plan A, taking their ship is an optional objective that we will only consider pursuing if it looks to be feasible
    on the subject of the cannon, they were stowed below deck and weigh a ton to maneuver topside, and even then at the distance which they would be effective if either ship has a reasonable lookout in a crows nest once they spot cannon they will look close by for the cannon ball and gunpowder barrel ect.. none of which we have, trust me they are distinct and noticeable from an elevated position. and if the lookout has something like a spyglass that range to be spotted, would be out of normal cannon range anyways.
    now on the other hand they would not need to look hard to spot the ballista perched on the fore deck most anyone would think twice before getting into its range as it could punch a hole below waterline potentially sinking there, be set ablaze from a flaming bolt ect... with the scorpions and others milling about unless they are serious they should think twice about closing for boarding actions.
    by dropping to 1/2 sail I have increased our maneuverability but cut our speed depending on what way the wind is blowing will depend on our potential escape vectors.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-12-05 at 11:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

point of view over the horizon better known as POV & OTH

Boat captains say, on average, you can see ships on the horizon or land at about 12 miles

now at 1 mile it would be hard to tell what crew were doing, but ship speed and direction would be easy to tell

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For a view from about 100' above sea level, Sam is correct, the viewable distance would be over 12 miles. A crow's nest in a mid sized ship is easily that high. Our ship is a little on the smaller end, so we might be a little bit short of the 100' mark, but still, our lookout should easily be able to see more than 3 miles. Even if its just 50' up, that grants an almost 9 mile viewing range.

None of that helps with the detail problem of course. We'll want to pick up a good telescope at some point to help with that, but those suckers are expensive.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-12-08 at 04:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I knew the distances that could be seen are a lot farther, but I was also taking into account whether or not it was worth paying attention to. Since unmoving it would take upwards of an hour to reach something 3 miles away. And even going straight towards each other 1 mile apart would be 10 minutes. So enough time to do something.

The general 3 miles based on the horizon was a starting off point but that also seemed like a reasonable distance to have potential to act, but I sort of left the rest of it off.

But yeah, you can see the ships but don't put too much into that point after those distances. If/when you might be looking for something specific then adjustments will be made. These were close enough to be a potential neutral, friendly, or aggressive ships worth checking.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

all correct in my estimations just thought I would give info...
    yes the spyglass at 1K gp is spendy