The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Yeah, everyone here is acting like it is a huge deal, but for everyone who doesn't live here, Ca, or Tx, this is pretty much just a regular winter storm. They're acting like it is really cold, it's been mostly low 30s to high 20s, that's light jacket weather.

But the trip I'm taking is through a lot of actual cold places including at least 3 major mountain passes, which is what I'm worried about. I accidently hit the walk directions (317 hours) and it told me a total elevation up of 38k feet, and down of 31kft, so yeah, lots of chances for bad spots.
    my move stuff is done but i am limited to post 1 time per weekday for the time until i can get Internet to my new place ( seems like a few of us are northwestern ish, wyoming here)
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-02-11 at 12:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The difference is they know how to deal with the cold in Wyoming.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

How about that... Currently living in Seattle metro but grew up in Wyoming and that's where I'm at for this trip.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

hope your trip is/was a good one

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Laying out the details of Ariadne's plan just to be sure there are no snags. She intends to use Touch of the Sea on either herself or the one going with her, whichever makes more sense (probably the latter, as she doesn't have a great strength score and yet has a very high swim skill).

That grants a 30' swim speed and the ability to "run" while swimming. It should be possible for the swimmer to drag one person behind them without too much of an impediment, especially if they in turn make a few swim checks to not just be dead weight.

In any case, assuming this is the pirate ship, the pair dive off the far side of the ship when it approaches, cast the spell, dive under, and swim to the far side of the hostile ship before resurfacing. Ariadne can levitate, and will give her companion a hand with climbing if need be.

Are there any issues here?
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-02-16 at 07:03 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Trip is going well so far, have a few days left. Reading the forums just a little but not much of a chance to post.
    Won't have a chance to do the map until I get back.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Laying out the details of Ariadne's plan just to be sure there are no snags. She intends to use Touch of the Sea on either herself or the one going with her, whichever makes more sense (probably the latter, as she doesn't have a great strength score and yet has a very high swim skill).

That grants a 30' swim speed and the ability to "run" while swimming. It should be possible for the swimmer to drag one person behind them without too much of an impediment, especially if they in turn make a few swim checks to not just be dead weight.

In any case, assuming this is the pirate ship, the pair dive off the far side of the ship when it approaches, cast the spell, dive under, and swim to the far side of the hostile ship before resurfacing. Ariadne can levitate, and will give her companion a hand with climbing if need be.

Are there any issues here?
    Are you still planning on sabotaging the ship while your under there? It's fine if you don't, I just thought that was going to be the signal for us on our boat to start our attack. On a related note, I think there are only three of us in this campaign at the moment. I haven't seen a post from River or Daegan in quite some time. If that's the case, than we'll have more pc's flanking the boat than on our boat.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Sabotage was olivias plan

edit getting a swim speed would be helpful for any underwater action
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-02-19 at 03:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

17 hour drive including heavy snow in two mountain passes, but I'm home. Not sure exactly sure how quickly I'll get time to do the map but soon.
    If you want the AFKs to help wake them up. Otherwise I'll scale it to the party we actually have.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

FYI, I messaged our afk party members over the weekend. No response. I think we should proceed with the assumption that they've abandoned ship. After this fight, we should probably return to port and "recruit" some new volunteers. And by recruit, I mean in game to get a new crew, and out of game to get a few new players.
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2019-02-25 at 04:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

I was thinking similar.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Are they close enough to swim to now? by my math they are 90 feet away (12 diagonal squares) plus however long the boat is. Figure one round of movement towards each other should get you there if your spell gives you a fishes swim speed. I think you can go now? Does this sound like a reasonable interpretation DM?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty much. Given that the ships are moving it is going to probably take two turns to get it done, one to close the distance and another to finish the move and do the work. Since both ships are moving, your ship 20ft/round, and the enemy currently at 60ft/round they'll be getting closer each time. If you waited until it was close enough for a single/double move action to get to the back of the enemy ship then they're going to be pretty much engaged already.

Keep in mind that I'll be doing relativistic moving, so if you say to move to "Z-25" I'll move you there, then move both ships accordingly, then slide everything so it still fits on the map. So the next round you might end up in a square with a different label, but relative to the ships it will still be the same. Otherwise things stop fitting on the map and we would be in squares in the low hundreds fairly quickly.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Pretty much. Given that the ships are moving it is going to probably take two turns to get it done, one to close the distance and another to finish the move and do the work. Since both ships are moving, your ship 20ft/round, and the enemy currently at 60ft/round they'll be getting closer each time. If you waited until it was close enough for a single/double move action to get to the back of the enemy ship then they're going to be pretty much engaged already.

Keep in mind that I'll be doing relativistic moving, so if you say to move to "Z-25" I'll move you there, then move both ships accordingly, then slide everything so it still fits on the map. So the next round you might end up in a square with a different label, but relative to the ships it will still be the same. Otherwise things stop fitting on the map and we would be in squares in the low hundreds fairly quickly.
    okay for sake of simplicity..
    once under we could swim towards then observe enemy ship keel depth maintaining that depth so that as it goes across we catch the rudder how ever many rounds that takes 2-3? then take 2 more rounds (max by my count for constitution hold breath would be 1 to 2 min) - then swim up behind and climb/board the other from the aft.
    instead of trying to worry about x/y/z distances as that is tricky without a 3d ish style map

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, for the most part I just need an idea of your movement and if your planning on going under or beside. I know you would come up in the right place if your trying to come up behind the ship, rather than 5ft under it or 5ft past it.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

well excuss the crude example here but if our ship is headed >>>> and the other is headed <<<< then under the enemy keel is the option if ours is >>>> and thiers is ^^^^ or VVVV then under sorta sideways is the option

anyways the goal is to reach the rudder spend to attack rounds as i don't think we will get more due to ship speeds before coming up behind

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This is unrelated to our current situation. I'm thinking about running a play by post game. DND 5E. If it happens it would be my first time running a PBP game or a 5E game. I dm'ed way back when 3.5 was all the rage, but I've never played 5E and I'm intrigued by what I see. I thought I would extend you guys the invitation to play before I put up a post in the GITP forums since you guys are a known quantity who are easy and fun to play with. PM me if your interested.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What's everyone's status?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Still around, wishing it wasn't a surprise every time there's movement in this game's threads.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Still around, wishing it wasn't a surprise every time there's movement in this game's threads.
    We've bee idle for a week dude/dudette. It's not a surprise

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

****. Two weeks. It was very clear that it was time to go.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

so whats up with the banter?

edit so looking at the ic map post looks like the underwater crew are at P19 or there abouts so if we swim to M19 I think we would be right under the rudder as it comes along side for the attacks against the rudder rope area
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-03-21 at 09:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Roll to jam the rudder with her cutlass

these should help with the desired action maybe granting a bonus - GM call on that

Knowledge Engineering +5 (1d20+5)[24]
    Profession Sailor +7 (1d20+7)[23]

as I think this is more of a dexterous thing to jam it good into the desired right turn, I will roll both str and dex

Str (1d20+1)[12]

Dex (1d20+3)[19]

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You just might need your cutlass in a moment, I'd use a belt knife or something. If you don't have one, you can borrow mine.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

You just might need your cutlass in a moment, I'd use a belt knife or something. If you don't have one, you can borrow mine.
    fair point I have a hunting knife - not sure if it will do the job but it could work i guess..

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Jamming the rudder is more of getting something in the right place than breaking anything, so a knife would do the trick.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Sorry for not posting for so long. My internet crapped out and they've been slow to make repairs

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

They always are slow on that sort of thing.

Missed the poison save
    (1d20+6)[22] VS DC11 Fort
    str loss
    (1d2)[1]

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

on the subject of internet I will have more frequent posting options for the next 30 days but may drop back to 1 per weekday after - TBD on that ( got short term home internet for a good deal
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-04-04 at 11:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

So last night my computer died. It's like 8 years old so it's had a good run, but no easy way to fix it. Still looking at what I'm going to do.
    I can still post but I don't think I've got any way to do the maps.
    As long as nothing big happens at work tonight I'll get the next post up.