New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Silver Valley D&D 3.5 Play By Post official thread

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Petal nearly runs off the edge of a roof upon realize just who she's been chasing.

Of course the one fellow student who wanted to become a killer for hire would be out killing, presumably after being hired. She blows a few bangs from her eyes, wondering if all swordsages have this problem.

She takes her time getting down from the rooftops and attempts to enter the front of the tavern rather than follow that cobra of a Cougar directly, but she then also proceeds to add a few examples of laying low to the textbook. Ducking, bobbing around patrons and making herself harder to be seen, Petal's going to reveal she's actually in the bar if she has anything to say about it.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

Move Silently...which I didn't put points into for some reason... and Hide: [roll0] [roll1]

And a spot to see if Cougar came down to socialize after: [roll2]

Thankfully, move silently isnt much needed in the bar, as this might just be the rowdiest crowd you've ever been in.

You do feel satisfied with how hidden you have made yourself. Women less attractive than you are being poked, prodded, and generally sexually harrassed all around as you go practically unnoticed.

It is not hard for you to spot Cougar.

He sits casually in a corner of the bar, and if you had any doubts of his presence in Silver City, the leaping cougar tattoo on the right side of his face gives him away plaun as day.

He leans back against the soft leather faced cushion, a drunk woman under each arm.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Agias

The inside of the Dew Drop Inn is much different. Some sit comfortably in front of the fireplace, others casually joking at bar. A few tables hold patrons quietly eating meals. There are a few adventuring types, stopping in weary from the road. It seems the perfect place to sit and read.

Lyn

Even as late as it is, the Embassy is full of the commotion of grumbling dwarves. Feldon, the only Dwarven member of the Silver Valley council continues to try and calm them. There are all sorts of theories about what could be going on, and none of them are good.

"Enough!!" Feldon shouts suddenly, seeming to have met the end of his fuse. The room goes silent, and all eyes are on him. " If yer all so worried about the troubles on the mountain, why dont ye go on up there yerselves? I'm offering good coin for any dwarf who can put an end to this nonsense, once 'n fer good! Eh? Any volunteers? Or do ye all have yer noses stuck so far up the arse o' Silver Valley, ye forgotten the way t' yer homes?"

Chestin

As the two of you approach the Dew Drop, you spot an old aquaintance, another halfling. You knew for a fact that once The Trolls had been reformed into a paying organization, this one had been quick to join their ranks. He looks at you quizically, as if to say, "The hell are you doing walking around with him?" And he beckons for you to come near.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Agias

Agias walks over to the bar and politely tries to get a staff member's attention. "Hi, I'm going to be in town for a few days at least, and would like to rent a quiet room...and, I think, have a warm bath tonight after all that walking."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Chestin offers a wave as the human takes to his inn, then heading to the other halfling, though not saying anything initially.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IcingdeathsScab View Post
    Lyn

Even as late as it is, the Embassy is full of the commotion of grumbling dwarves. Feldon, the only Dwarven member of the Silver Valley council continues to try and calm them. There are all sorts of theories about what could be going on, and none of them are good.

"Enough!!" Feldon shouts suddenly, seeming to have met the end of his fuse. The room goes silent, and all eyes are on him. " If yer all so worried about the troubles on the mountain, why dont ye go on up there yerselves? I'm offering good coin for any dwarf who can put an end to this nonsense, once 'n fer good! Eh? Any volunteers? Or do ye all have yer noses stuck so far up the arse o' Silver Valley, ye forgotten the way t' yer homes?"
    Lyn
    Lyn waits a little to see if there are any volunteers. If there are others who would risk their comfortable lives to go and check what happened, fine.
    If noone volunteers, she slowly raises her hand. "I will go."
    Act well before thinking!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lyn

It would appear that you are alone in your endeavor, as dwarves grumble about having businesses to run, and about being too old to fight should that be necessary. And though you have the same kind of responsibilities, without any silver coming in - your father's business will be shut down in Silver Valley anyway.

"Thank ye, Lyn" Feldon announces, and the dwarves start to exit the building, most displaying a fair amount of shame on their faces.

"Ye'll be paid accordin' t' what ye find, and don't ye doubt it'll be fair. All I can promise fer now."

Agias

2gp for the room, per night, bath included. A nice old lady leads you to your room, and shows you the way to the bath on the way. After giving you the key, she explains that she'll have your bath ready within the hour.

Chestin

"You thought any more on joining?" The halfling asks as if offering advice. "Guildmaster isn't very hospitable. Freelancers are being run out of town if they won't throw their lot in with him, and eyes are everwhere. If you get caught working the streets, I won't be able to do anything about it..." he shrugs, and stares at you, awaiting your response

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Agias

Agias thanks her, and then begins reading the book, looking for anything in it that catches his interest.

Spoiler
    Show

No in-game effects expected from this...but it justifies acting like he knows what he's doing and getting more skill points in psionics-related stuff when he levels up.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Agias

Agias thanks her, and then begins reading the book, looking for anything in it that catches his interest.

Spoiler
    Show

No in-game effects expected from this...but it justifies acting like he knows what he's doing and getting more skill points in psionics-related stuff when he levels up.
    Agias

For the first time in your life, you feel validated. The first few chapters of the book deals a lot with recognizing the traits for psionics in children, and each page is like a trip down memory lane for you. You feel excited and empowered, as if your options are now unlimited. Based on what you're reading, you dare even hope that with enough practice and practical application, you could be one of the best. For some reason, you find the section on mind flayers to be particularly fascinating, and find yourself intrigued to learn everything about them.
    Last edited by IcingdeathsScab; 2018-11-15 at 08:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Agias

Naturally psionic... and they eat brains! I'd best stay well away from them. Agias almost misses the knock at the door that tells him the bath is ready.

After securing his room with the provided lock, which might deter an inexperienced thief, he scrubs off all the dirt and dust of traveling, and emerges feeling much cleaner and better. Time for another hour or two of reading before feeding the stomach.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Chestin

"You thought any more on joining?" The halfling asks as if offering advice. "Guildmaster isn't very hospitable. Freelancers are being run out of town if they won't throw their lot in with him, and eyes are everwhere. If you get caught working the streets, I won't be able to do anything about it..." he shrugs, and stares at you, awaiting your response
    ”I’ve thought a bit on it,” he says in Halfling, looking around. “What can they offer me though besides a lack of hostility? I’m as rooted as a bird. I don’t have any objections, but I don’t join anything with a knife to my neck. If he has nothing to offer but blades, I’ll be out of town tomorrow morning no skin off my nose, and you can deal with a brewing gang war with one fewer mage. Your friends need to learn to offer a handshake instead of a dagger if they want to have anyone on their side that isn’t a coward.” The man puts his hands in his pockets and watches the other halfling with curious eyes. His response was aggressive, but the point seemed quite valid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chestin is ready if there are hostilities.

As Chestin looks around, does he notice anyone paying particular attention to their conversation?

Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Moving as close as she dares, Petal enters her shadow stance, using her lack of height and slight of frame to hide around tables, behind pillars, anything to keep her former pier's eyes away from her. Cougar was bloodthirsty but he wouldn't just kill someone for no reason, least of all something that was causing attention outside. There's a chance she can figure out who else is in on this, as she waits, and watches.

Show

Moving into Shadow stance for concealment purposes, but I'm not trying to hide in plain sight.

MS/Hide checks: (1d20+4)[16] (1d20+8)[27]

Also, I am preparing the following maneuvers:

Blistering Flourish
    x2 Clinging Shadow Strike
    Sudden Leap

And a spot/.listen too in case someone actually comes by:

(1d20+4)[6](1d20+4)[15]

<BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chestin

"You better watch who you're calling a coward, mage" he spits out the last word, as if it should somehow attribute the insult back to you. "Do not confuse pragmatism with pussillanimity. It is coin that guides my actions, not fear. Consider my advice a friendly warning, halfling to halfling. Join, or stay out of our way. You've been noticed stalking adventuring strangers, and I doubt you've taken up body guarding. Just remember who runs these streets, and I won't rat you out for taking my sloppy seconds."

Agias

Your room is quaint and comfortable. There is a small dresser against one wall, stocked with a generic sleeping outfit that smells clean. Beside the common bed is a nightstand with one drawer, an oil lantern sitting quietly on top of it. Your second floor window affords you a view of the street on the front side of the Dew Drop. Night is quickly approaching, the last few shades of orange dissapearing on the western horizon.

After an hour or so, there is a knock on your door.

"Last call for dinner," calls the voice of the same woman who showed you to your room. "I've brought you some wild rabbit stew and cornbread, if you're interested."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Moving as close as she dares, Petal enters her shadow stance, using her lack of height and slight of frame to hide around tables, behind pillars, anything to keep her former pier's eyes away from her. Cougar was bloodthirsty but he wouldn't just kill someone for no reason, least of all something that was causing attention outside. There's a chance she can figure out who else is in on this, as she waits, and watches.

Show

Moving into Shadow stance for concealment purposes, but I'm not trying to hide in plain sight.

MS/Hide checks: [roll0] [roll1]

Also, I am preparing the following maneuvers:

Blistering Flourish
    x2 Clinging Shadow Strike
    Sudden Leap

And a spot/.listen too in case someone actually comes by:

[roll2][roll3]

As you wait, you feel more and more confident that he has not taken notice of you, nor that anyone else has for that matter. After several minutes, a waitress approaches his table. She carries a tray in one hand, and with the other she lays a mug on the table in front if him. At the same time, you can see that she slips him a small, bulging pouch, though you can but guess at its' contents.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Agias

"Thanks, I'll take it downstairs." Agias carefully marks his place in the book with a small strip of leather reserved for use as a bookmark, and goes downstairs. He looks for a comfortable chair near the fire to sit and eat in. He half-watches the room for anything or anyone interesting, but really spends about half of his time staring off into space and thinking.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, looks like that was a nerve. ”My my,” he says, putting his hands up in mocking defense, “I didn’t realize asking what was offered was such an insult to you boys. So I take it that the answer is nothing if I join, and everything if I don’t. Fine by me. I was considering leaving anyways. With the Trolls acting up as well, the town’s been getting a bit too rough for my tastes.” The dream of wandering into the water almost washes back over him, and Chestin shudders lightly. Starting to turn and leave, he pauses.

“By the way...”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Slight of Hand to hide the components of a spell: (1d20+5)[11]
    Opposed by Spot, Spell goes off regardless
    Cast Charm Person, DC 18 Will save

“Would you mind telling your higher ups that Chestin Whiteleaf won’t be a problem and should be out of town within the week?”

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Ooh, looks like that was a nerve. ”My my,” he says, putting his hands up in mocking defense, “I didn’t realize asking what was offered was such an insult to you boys. So I take it that the answer is nothing if I join, and everything if I don’t. Fine by me. I was considering leaving anyways. With the Trolls acting up as well, the town’s been getting a bit too rough for my tastes.” The dream of wandering into the water almost washes back over him, and Chestin shudders lightly. Starting to turn and leave, he pauses.

“By the way...”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Slight of Hand to hide the components of a spell: [roll0]
    Opposed by Spot, Spell goes off regardless
    Cast Charm Person, DC 18 Will save

“Would you mind telling your higher ups that Chestin Whiteleaf won’t be a problem and should be out of town within the week?”
    He does not seem to have noticed the components, but neither do his eyes glaze over - at first he seems confused, assaulted, and then angry. You know that he resisted the spell. In his moment of confusion, please roll initiative to see if you can get the upper hand and act first.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Well. That’s not what he had planned.
    Spoiler
    Show
    First death of the game, everyone! (1d20+5)[11]

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well. That’s not what he had planned.
    Spoiler
    Show
    First death of the game, everyone! [roll0]
    You have initiative.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

”That angry expression suggests no, so...” and he begins sprinting in the direction of the inn that he and Agias had split up at. He made a reasonably good impression on the guy, and Agias was a... psion, Chestin seemed to recall. Some weird form of magic, at the very least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full action run, into the inn if at all possible.

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lyn

It would appear that you are alone in your endeavor, as dwarves grumble about having businesses to run, and about being too old to fight should that be necessary. And though you have the same kind of responsibilities, without any silver coming in - your father's business will be shut down in Silver Valley anyway.

"Thank ye, Lyn" Feldon announces, and the dwarves start to exit the building, most displaying a fair amount of shame on their faces.

"Ye'll be paid accordin' t' what ye find, and don't ye doubt it'll be fair. All I can promise fer now."
    Lyn
    "Fine. I trust you. But I am not sure I should go alone. I others join me in this quest, will they receive their fair share as well?"
    Act well before thinking!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

”That angry expression suggests no, so...” and he begins sprinting in the direction of the inn that he and Agias had split up at. He made a reasonably good impression on the guy, and Agias was a... psion, Chestin seemed to recall. Some weird form of magic, at the very least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full action run, into the inn if at all possible.
    Move action gets you to the door, standard action gets you inside. No attack of oppurtunity since he's not armed yet. You're not sure how he reacts, since he is behind you, but you do hear something hit the doorframe beside you as you pass with a dull thud. A few feet inside the Inn, it is your turn again.

Agias

With no listen check required, you see the door to the inn burst open, the halfling who accompanied you to the library appearing most desperate.
    Last edited by IcingdeathsScab; 2018-11-16 at 03:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post
    Lyn
    "Fine. I trust you. But I am not sure I should go alone. I others join me in this quest, will they receive their fair share as well?"
    "I'll pay you what is deserved, and leave the distributing up to you. Afterall, you would be hiring them. Rest assured that if anything drastic is necessary, all would be honored."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Agias

Agias puts down his knife and fork and raises his eyebrows.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

”Didn’t think he’d take ‘no’ kindly, but I didn’t expect that,” Chestin says, taking a deep breath. “Hey, Agias... Liking your book?” The small man briskly up to the psion and takes a seat at the same table, opposite the side near the door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holding action, will cast Daze if the other halfling comes through the door brandishing a weapon

Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

”Didn’t think he’d take ‘no’ kindly, but I didn’t expect that,” Chestin says, taking a deep breath. “Hey, Agias... Liking your book?” The small man briskly up to the psion and takes a seat at the same table, opposite the side near the door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holding action, will cast Daze if the other halfling comes through the door brandishing a weapon
    The halfling runs into the Inn, and at first makes as if to draw a weapon, but instead stumbles forward a couple steps and grips his head with both hands.

"Son of a Gnome, my head is on backwards" he grumbles

Agias is aware that Chestin has casted a spell, though he does not know exactly what it was.

Both of you roll initiative
    Last edited by IcingdeathsScab; 2018-11-16 at 04:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Agias

"Take kindly to what - yes, I do, thanks - what's going on?"

Spoiler
    Show

Talking is a free action.
    Init (1d20+4)[8]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought we were just still in initiative, but I'll take a chance to up it: (1d20+5)[16]

"Telling him to sod off, I'm not joining his guild, and threats won't change that."

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought we were just still in initiative, but I'll take a chance to up it: [roll0]

"Telling him to sod off, I'm not joining his guild, and threats won't change that."
    Chestin, it's your turn.

Agias, roll again for initiative.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

”You’re not this stupid, man,” Chestin says, gesturing to the other Halfling, hands shifting in the same pattern as before. ”Dont pick this fight.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daze, DC 17 Will
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2018-11-16 at 11:09 PM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Agias
    Agias starts to frown at the obvious spellcasting and argument. "What guild?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Are we rolling initiative every round??
    (1d20+4)[21]