New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Unsure of Correct Forum

If I wanted advice on how to build a world (climate, geopolitics, etc) that isn't for the purpose of a game but rather some recreational writing, does it go in Worldbuilding, Science, or Arts?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Unsure of Correct Forum

If you want help understanding the physics and other forces that go into shaping a world, put it in Science. If you want help in communicating about your world in your work, put it in art. You might have more luck with the politics in worldbuilding than in science, but they might not be able to help you as much with, like, the geological forces.

Worst case scenario, if you don't get the responses youre looking for, you can report the original post or PM a mod and ask them to move it for you.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2018-11-14 at 08:06 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

If you want as many people there as possible that are interested in worldbuilding, put it in worldbuilding.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    If I wanted advice on how to build a world (climate, geopolitics, etc) that isn't for the purpose of a game but rather some recreational writing, does it go in Worldbuilding, Science, or Arts?
    Generally, any would be appropriate. Personally, I agree with Level 2 Expert, that Worldbuilding will get you the most audience of people interested in constructing a world, and will cover a wide variety of topics. If you have a specific question that needs addressing (I've spent some time thinking about plate tectonics on Tellene this morning, for example), you might put it in a specific forum (the folks at Mad Science would probably tackle it), but, again, Worldbuilding would work.

I wouldn't put my plate tectonics question in Art, though.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The other thing I'd suggest is to be very careful what you ask about geopolitics (or religion, for that matter). Make sure your request is for fictional references and discussion and not an invitation to discuss real world politics or religion.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex