New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Shenanigans a naked, featless low level cleric can pull?

Looking for tricks at level 5-8.

Artificers have some nice tricks in the form of Concurrent Infusions so I was wondering if there were any for clerics.

With feats I know of a few (I really like twinned persistent lesser planar exchange to play as two celestial griffons all day. There's also persistent Ice Axe and Ring of Blades for some crazy melee damage). And with wealth I know of a few tricks with animate dead, but I was specifically wondering about no feats and no wealth.

I've been staring at the 3rd level and 4th level cleric lists and I could come up with only one shenanigan.

By shenanigans I mean something OP. Or very strong. Or makes you rich.

Sheltered Vitality + Create Lantern Archons for example, is a shenanigan, because it nets you a free Lantern Archon for 1 hour that will spend the entire hour using its at-will continual flame ability to create a mountain of everburning torches, and then you can have it teleport all of it to a shop and sell them or trade them for other goods and teleport those goods back to you. Restoration + Create Lantern Archons is a similar shenanigan albeit worse because it uses a 4th level spell and you need to spend 100gp on diamond dust.
    Alternatively, use those everburning torches to pay a Created Lantern Archon for 1day/CL service as a mobile artillery! Or to pay a creature you call with Lesser Planar Ally

So... what have ya got?

edit:Divine Focus and noncostly material components are allowed.

edit2:

Shenanigans
    Wall of Salt - An infinite wealth shenanigan that needs no explaining
    Divine Insight + Guidance of the Avatar - Auto succeed all skill checks.
    Wall of Salt + Lesser Planar Ally - A free indefinite duration ally. Lesser Planar Ally has no maximum duration. Their service is limited solely by your wealth, which is infinite.
    Lesser Planar Ally
    Spoiler
    Show
    Formian Taskmaster (MM): dominate monster up to 4 creatures.
    Hollyphant (Book of Exalted Deeds): banishment, flame strike, heal, raise dead.
    Janni (MM): plane shift up to 8 creatures.
    Mirror Mephit (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits): simulacrum 1/day.
    Movanic Deva (Fiend Folio): atonement, ethereal jaunt, plane shift, raise dead.
    Bar-lgura (FCI): Restrictionless Greater Teleport at-will
    Animate With the Spirit - XP free Lesser Planar Ally for good outsiders only. In addition to the above list, Equinals have at-will CL6 Magic Missile. Only lasts 10min/level

Strong Combos
    No Light + Ebon Eyes
    Snowsight + Obscuring Snow
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2018-11-17 at 06:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shenanigans a naked, featless low level cleric can pull?

The police usually get involved when I try to pull shenanigans while naked. Something about "public indecency".
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    no feats and no wealth.
    Does no wealth also mean no materials/divine focus for spellcasting?. Also can we choose the location where we spawn?

Easy answer starting from level 7 onwards (assuming DF is allowed), "Wall of Salt" for accruing wealth (although it may be limited by the DM in terms of demand). Bonus points if coupled with consumptive field.
    Last edited by Elrak; 2018-11-15 at 07:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Elrak View Post
    Does no wealth also mean no materials/divine focus for spellcasting?. Also can we choose the location where we spawn?

Easy answer starting from level 7 onwards (assuming DF is allowed), "Wall of Salt" for accruing wealth (although it may be limited by the DM in terms of demand). Bonus points if coupled with consumptive field.
    Summon Holy Symbol is a spell so yes it's allowed. Negligible cost material components? Sure, why not. Yes they're allowed too.

I always remembered Wall of Salt being level 5. Weird. Alrighty, that's a shenanigan.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

You can pass any reasonable skill check via divine insight and guidance of the avatar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Should we assume imprisoned in a cell robbed of all belongings? That seems like where it might come up the most often.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    You can pass any reasonable skill check via divine insight and guidance of the avatar.
    Right forgot about that. Not what I'm looking for but definitely a shenanigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    Should we assume imprisoned in a cell robbed of all belongings? That seems like where it might come up the most often.
    True but the scenario I'm thinking is you're shipwrecked alone on an island with your holy symbol and a spell component pouch of noncostly materials and nothing else.
    Or the bad guy won, this is a bad future where all civilization is dead and you gotta survive somehow!
    Or your DM is being a **** and is denying you basic magic items :P.
    Or someone kidnapped you and dropped you off in the middle of nowhere
    Or you've got a gambling problem, you bet everything you had and lost everything, and you're in the middle of a very important quest.

Possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2018-11-15 at 08:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Once you have access to guidance of the avatar, the Apocalypse Martini trick becomes rather trivial.

Clerics don't get water to acid (Stormwrack), but wall of $alt (Sandstorm) = infinite money.

Or cast summon monster II for an ur'epona (Planar Handbook p. 134). Craft domain lets you cast minor creation, Ghostwalk says ectoplasm counts as vegetable matter. Cover yourself and the ur'epona with ectoplasm. Have the ur'epona plane shift you to the Demiplane of Ectoplasm. Pick up some canath fruit. Plane shift back home, sell fruit as if they were cognizance crystals.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Shivering touch autokills the normally dextrous.

Wall of sand autokllls the the weak in confined spaces and is an impressive control spell anyways.

Heartache + coup de grace?

No Light + Ebon Eyes?

Consumptive Field all by itself?

I'm pulling from here.

Obviously, there are domain spells as well and Substitute Domain provides access to new sets of spells every day.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Snowsight + Obscuring Snow

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Once you have access to guidance of the avatar, the Apocalypse Martini trick becomes rather trivial.

Clerics don't get water to acid (Stormwrack), but wall of $alt (Sandstorm) = infinite money.

Or cast summon monster II for an ur'epona (Planar Handbook p. 134). Craft domain lets you cast minor creation, Ghostwalk says ectoplasm counts as vegetable matter. Cover yourself and the ur'epona with ectoplasm. Have the ur'epona plane shift you to the Demiplane of Ectoplasm. Pick up some canath fruit. Plane shift back home, sell fruit as if they were cognizance crystals.
    I'm having trouble locating the "We hate goats" ritual in BoVD. Could you give a page number? Plane shift at level 3 however is a fine shenanigan.

Shivering touch autokills the normally dextrous.

Wall of sand autokllls the the weak in confined spaces and is an impressive control spell anyways.

Heartache + coup de grace?

No Light + Ebon Eyes?

Consumptive Field all by itself?

I'm pulling from here.

Obviously, there are domain spells as well and Substitute Domain provides access to new sets of spells every day.
    I'm not looking for strong spells like Shivering Touch. I'm looking for shenanigans. No Light + Ebon Eyes is a strong combo so I'll add that to the list.

Would Wall of Sand + Wall of Salt be a guaranteed kill against those who can suffocate?
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2018-11-15 at 09:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm having trouble locating the "We hate goats" ritual in BoVD. Could you give a page number?
    Page 26 under the heading Sacrifice. Though the OP does seem to have made a mistake as the passage mentions several times that the sacrificial victim needs to be sentient/Int 3+.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Would Wall of Sand + Wall of Salt be a guaranteed kill against those who can suffocate?
    The best use of Wall of Sand is against spellcasters since they can't speak and they tend to be weak. The wall of salt is relatively fragile---21 hp and hardness 2, but it will certainly slow down and hence kill more creatures. Unfortunately, Wall of Sand blocks line of effect, so you can't cast Wall of Salt inside the Wall of Sand.

Wall of Sand itself is super deadly in certain geometries. Burrowing through 70' of sand before suffocation kicks in is quite difficult.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    Page 26 under the heading Sacrifice. Though the OP does seem to have made a mistake as the passage mentions several times that the sacrificial victim needs to be sentient/Int 3+.
    I'm not gonna put it in there. Outsider support is only one of the many, many options the DM can give so it's far from consistent and reliable.

The best use of Wall of Sand is against spellcasters since they can't speak and they tend to be weak. The wall of salt is relatively fragile---21 hp and hardness 2, but it will certainly slow down and hence kill more creatures. Unfortunately, Wall of Sand blocks line of effect, so you can't cast Wall of Salt inside the Wall of Sand.

Wall of Sand itself is super deadly in certain geometries. Burrowing through 70' of sand before suffocation kicks in is quite difficult.
    I was thinking more about Wall of Salt around the Wall of Sand instead of inside it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Level 1 NPC Cleric:

Step 1: Live in a relatively safe location, near a relatively unsafe location.

Step 2: Find group of adventures in local inn/tavern that have no healing potential

Step 3: Wait for adventures to go adventuring, take damage, then return when they have no one in the group to heal them.

Step 4: Charge them for over priced 1st level healing spells so they can continue to adventure.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I would not call the following OP but definitily a lot of fun an something the said cleric could do.

Rune Domain gives you access to Explosive runes.

Now all you need is time and ideally a lightweight easy accessible "object bearing written information". (Ideally a book but I would rule that a small piece of flat clay with the words "Hi" covers this requirement).

Now put enough Runes together (in the pages of a book or in a small bundle containing the prepared clay pieces), throw them at anything threatining you and cast dispell (purposefully trying to fail to dispel them properly EDIT:"Dispel Ward" being probably the best spell to use in this case being level 1 and having the Purification domain to boost your Abjuration CL which should give us 10% chance of failing to accomplish our goal)

Now sit back and watch everything go boom. =^_^=
    Last edited by Elrak; 2018-11-16 at 08:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for catching that. I suppose when you're trying to break the rules, it helps if you actually spend the time to read them! Hmm. Goat would need to be fiendish, I guess. Celestial monkey from summon monster I would also work as a sacrificial victim, or maybe a Chaos Flask -> fiendish bat.

The point of the trick is hitting a DC 30 Knowledge (religion) check to get the services (and the three wishes) of an efreet, which is manageable at 1st level, and completely doable once you have access to guidance of the avatar.

18. - Top - End - #18

Thank you for catching that. I suppose when you're trying to break the rules, it helps if you actually spend the time to read them! Hmm. Goat would need to be fiendish, I guess. Celestial monkey from summon monster I would also work as a sacrificial victim, or maybe a Chaos Flask -> fiendish bat.

The point of the trick is hitting a DC 30 Knowledge (religion) check to get the services (and the three wishes) of an efreet, which is manageable at 1st level, and completely doable once you have access to guidance of the avatar.
    It's not guaranteed though. The DM decides which DC 30 rewards (if any) the deity grants you so if a DM hates efreetis there is a literal 0% chance of you getting one.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Create Element(Earth) at level 1. Pick halite for money, shapsand for your gear, temporal sand for KO, elemental pure earth, black sand to kill the planet, stone of anihilation to kill dragons and get the book thrown at you for twisting a cantrip so much. More reasonably could slowly create desert hazards with it from Sandstorm.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    Create Element(Earth) at level 1. Pick halite for money, shapsand for your gear, temporal sand for KO, elemental pure earth, black sand to kill the planet, stone of anihilation to kill dragons and get the book thrown at you for twisting a cantrip so much. More reasonably could slowly create desert hazards with it from Sandstorm.
    What is this Create Element? I can't find it anywhere.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Create Element is Dark Sun officially licensed content so in that 2nd party-ish thing like with Kingdoms of Kalimdor and Ravenloft.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

More Fun with Lesser Planar Ally:

If you get a mirror mephit, the simulacrum SLA doesn't require any material component, so you can create any creature you like up to 16 HD. This includes an efreet (wish abuse) or black ethergaunt (Fiend Folio, spellcasting as 17th level wizard).

23. - Top - End - #23

More Fun with Lesser Planar Ally:

If you get a mirror mephit, the simulacrum SLA doesn't require any material component, so you can create any creature you like up to 16 HD. This includes an efreet (wish abuse) or black ethergaunt (Fiend Folio, spellcasting as 17th level wizard).
    Don't forget Hollyphants have no-save AoE stun.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I've been frustrated by this one before, so I may as well share the unhappiness: creatures summoned using Summon Monster or anything that specifically references Summon Monster cannot use, quote, "any teleportation or planar travel abilities." (PHB pg. 286) I missed this forever because it's actually in the Summon Monster I description rather than under the [Summoning] subschool description.

If you can find a way to summon your ur'epona without actually using Summon Monster or something that functions "like Summon Monster, except . . ." then you're golden, but just casting the regular spell isn't good enough.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I've been frustrated by this one before, so I may as well share the unhappiness: creatures summoned using Summon Monster or anything that specifically references Summon Monster cannot use, quote, "any teleportation or planar travel abilities." (PHB pg. 286) I missed this forever because it's actually in the Summon Monster I description rather than under the [Summoning] subschool description.

If you can find a way to summon your ur'epona without actually using Summon Monster or something that functions "like Summon Monster, except . . ." then you're golden, but just casting the regular spell isn't good enough.
    I keep forgetting this. It's not just spells with costly components, its also teleportation. Removing ur'epona from the list.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

There's ways around that. Alive and Int 3 or higher isn't hard. Fox's Cunning will do the job for a few minutes; a Cloistered Cleric gets that as a 2nd level spell, it's available on the Baator Planar Domain, and Anyspell from the Spell domain can get it from an arcane list... if you've got a source of it of magical writing. Sure, you get a bonus for taking an hour at it, but otherwise there's no time listed.

Edit:
    However: The real kicker is that the DM gets to decide what the reward is. It explicitly says on page 27: "The celebrant can choose what reward is sought and prayed for, but the deity might grant another reward" - so that DC 30 for Planar Ally? While it's not hard to make at 3rd level or so... it may not get you the Planar Ally spell you want. Even if you do, Lesser Planar Ally (from which all the others in line inherit) gives you a creature "of the deity’s choice" - not yours. You can't be assured of getting that Efreeti to wish-mine. You might end up with a Barbed Devil instead.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2018-11-16 at 10:52 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Animate with the spirit is a level 4 sanctified spell which your Cleric can cast spontaneously. Have fun with that. (Yes, more minionmancy.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Bar-Lgura (6 HD Outsider) can greater teleport at will

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Animate with the spirit is a level 4 sanctified spell which your Cleric can cast spontaneously. Have fun with that. (Yes, more minionmancy.)
    I knew about this and dismissed it but forgot that it's basically a xp free planar ally if you are just using it for SLAs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by radthemad4 View Post
    Bar-Lgura (6 HD Outsider) can greater teleport at will
    So they can! No restrictions listed. Very, very nice to know.