New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

d20 [IC] Dawnbringers

The air tastes of copper and death on the chilly plains of Hestil that morning. Soldiers lay dead, warriors rattled their last breaths, and spellslingers, singed and bloody, staggered forwards into the onslaught on broken limbs. The battle had raged all night, and it was far from over. Their men were battered, their forces weakened with exhaustion, but they press on, and all for one reason.

I love you with My every breath,
    I make you songs like thunderbirds.

That voice… the Voice of the Goddess. It echoed above the battlefield, over the din of chaos, inspiring them onwards.

Give you My life, you give Me death,

It’s why they were all here. Why they were all fighting this war to end all wars, to restore peace to the world.

And stab Me with your dreadful words.

Queen Tiana raises her bow and spear, lets out a battlecry, and leads the charge into the shambles of Riasom’s army. They would not give up, not when they had come so far in this seemingly endless war. Soon, it would be over, and the small girl singing behind the ranks of soldiers to inspire them onwards would have nothing to fear any longer.

I saw the sun at midnight, rising red.
    Deep hued, yet glowing…

It wasn’t only the soldiers this time. Tiana was used to leading the common rank and file, with Sundance and Daegal alongside her. But this battle was different. This time, they had the Dawn Brigade. This time, they were going all the way to Riasom’s throne room, and they wouldn’t stop until his head was mounted on a pike.

…heavy with the stain.

Though united in purpose, the four champions all had different reasons to be there.

I saw the sun at midnight, swift in size and growing,
    The heavens bowed their head, bowed their head…

The embers of the sacred forest had barely cooled when Valien Carsomyr arose to the ranks of the Brigade. The knight had merely taken one look at Cordelia before swearing himself in allegiance to the Maiden. With the shame of running behind him, the griffon-knight swore he would never flee battle again, and has become a bastion of courage and power on the battlefield.

From its heart slow dripped crimson rain…

Only a couple months into the war, and the strange, fox-like woman appeared in Queen Tiana’s court. With her strange origins – and the fact that another nine-tail was known to be on Riasom’s side – it was hard for Queen Tiana to trust Saetiri Velu, but the woman had shown herself to be pure of intentions, and her gentle heart and healing touch won her a place at Cordelia’s side. But since joining the group, she has added into their mix something that none of them could face this war without – a smile, and hope for the future.

A great tremor shook it as of pain…

Magnus Bjornson is not someone Tiana ever would have expected to see in Cordelia’s service – not with how he had served under Riasom in the past. Everyone knew of Magnus’ father, Bjorn, the paladin who had ascended to godhood by the blessing of La. But when the war began, Magnus fought for the wrong side. He was a bastion in the army of Hestil. Until, as Tiana believes, one day, he had seen the error of his ways, and he appeared in the camp of the Army of Dawn, bowed on one knee before Cordelia and asking for repentance and a place at her side. Now, he fights for the light – and carves down any who would stand in his way.

I see the blood upon the rocks,
    And on the stones, the sorrow of My eyes.

And then, there was the woman who had appeared out of the wilderness to become the last member of the Brigade. Queen Tiana had known of Acacia’s exploits well before then. As a scout, she was invaluable. As a trapper and poisoner, her potential for slaying their foes was even greater than that. At Cordelia’s side, the Brenin has become a potent force for good.

My burning heart weeps amid eternal snows,

The four fight with the army, now, breaking Riasom’s defenses. Morning is dawning, but none of them have slept a wink that night. How could they have? They are so close. They press ever onwards, closer to the keep, until, until…

My tears fall from the skies.

"Rout! We are routed! Fall into the keep!"

Hestil’s army broke, fleeing into the walls of the final stronghold. Queen Tiana roared in triumph, but she did not press the charge. Not for now. No. They needed to take a moment. Catch their breath, and rest. But it would end tonight. It would end tonight.

"Form up!" she called over the fray. "Fire at their flanks, drop whomever you can!" was her final order for the battle. And when Hestil’s last soldiers had either fallen in retreat, or in death, she called the soldiers to a cease fire.

"See to the wounded! Sort out the living and the dead! And ready yourselves for an assault – tonight, we become Kingslayers!"

There was a resounding shout from the soldiers, who, though weary from the fight, were invigorated by the victory. They started combing the field, finishing off downed enemies and healing their own. It was only then that Cordelia went onto the field, putting her healing powers to use to save as many as she could.

As for the rest of the Brigade, Tiana found them.

"I see you all still live – that’s a relief. Prepare yourselves. We have only a few hours before we will fight again. I must meet with Sundance and Daegal and get a report on our remaining numbers. It should only take an hour. We will meet then in my tent and discuss our final strategy," she decided. "Sort yourselves out - keep an eye on Cordelia. And meet me in the tent in an hour. We will need you all to lead the way to Riasom's throne room."

The plan in place, the Queen rode off, and the Brigade was left to catch their breath and see how they themselves had fared in the fight, until it was time to meet Tiana around the war table, hopefully, just for one last time.

OOC Thread
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-11-15 at 12:09 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: [IC] Dawnbringers

"Drop whomever you can!"

Saetiri turned away from the battlefield. The fight was necessary, but she had little to no stomach for it. Attacking a fleeing foe was a small step above massacring, but since there was a likely chance they were going to fight the survivors of this shortly, there seemed to be no better choice. As painful as it was to see the dead strewn about the battlefield, she would rather see ten of Riasom's soldier's than one of their own. So she strayed back to their encampment, allowing her mind to wander away from the atrocities of the day.

One more push. Tonight. Then this will all be over, and things will return to normal, to peace.

She flipped of her hat and turned it upside down. "Come out Roust, the fighting is done. For now, at least." At her cajoling, a pair of furry black and white ears poke out of the top, followed by a pink nose sniffing the air cautiously. Eventually the whole rabbit hops out of the hat, landing on the grass below. Saetiri pulls her red hair back, tying it at the bottom with a blue ribbon that had fallen out during the fighting to keep it out of her face. She sits against her green and brown broom as it hovers a few feet in the air, petting Roust who had hopped into her arms. She turns to the others, doing her best to keep her tone optimistic, not the somber feeling in her gut at the moment.

"Seven years and I still never know what to say at times like this. Well done?" She shakes her head. "Hopefully it won't matter. How are you all feeling, friends? Ready for one more charge?" Looking at the faces in front of her, Saetiri thinks already knows the answers. But she still wants to hear them say it.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    "Fire at their flanks, drop whomever you can!"
    Something moves in a tree beside the battlefield. A flurry of arrows flies out like a flock of birds, striking a fleeing soldier and cutting his escape short. Silently, Acacia grabs arrow after another, firing a full barrage into the ranks of the fleeing soldiers. She stops firing only when they're out of range. Shouldn't waste too many arrows. I'll need them for the assault.
    She climbs down from the tree to join the others of the Dawn Brigade.

The Dawn Brigade. It's still weird to think how I ended up here.

She spots Magnus first. The man is very hard to miss on the battlefield. You just follow the trail of carnage, really. She waves at him, then points at his shoulder. "Well fought. There's uh... something... It's a chunk of... brain on your shoulder, I think."

The rest of the group gathers as queen Tiana finds them.

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    "I see you all still live – that’s a relief. Prepare yourselves. We have only a few hours before we will fight again. I must meet with Sundance and Daegal and get a report on our remaining numbers. It should only take an hour. We will meet then in my tent and discuss our final strategy," she decided. "Sort yourselves out - keep an eye on Cordelia. And meet me in the tent in an hour. We will need you all to lead the way to Riasom's throne room."
    Sundance... Acacia shakes her head. No time for that. She'd practically begged the queen not to reveal her identity to the commander of Gavelmith's cavalry. That'd only be a distraction. We can talk once this is all over. The brenin suppresses a sigh, and turns her attention to the kitsune. "Well fought." She replies curtly. Being the last to join the Dawn Brigade - and often ahead of the group to scout - means she hasn't had much time to make friends with the others. "I've enough arrows for another charge."

Acacia looks around. "I'm going to do a quick sweep of the perimeter. The army may have fled but there may still be assassins on the loose. Keep an eye on the Sister." She turns away from the group to have a good look around, to make sure there are no snipers in the trees or hidden traps on the battlefield.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception roll: (1d20+12)[23]
    Stealth roll: (1d20+13)[20]
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2018-11-15 at 05:07 PM.
    Characters in play:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Valien Carsomyr was next to arrive, having pursued the fleeing enemy a short distance to cut down a few more before he returned to the line. Despite being in the thick of the fighting, his armor covered in its share of nicks, dents, and blood, both he and his griffon steed had escaped injury. "Well-fought indeed! By the grace of Heaven and the blood of martyrs, we have them on the run." His voice was hoarse from shouting commands and battle-cries over the din of combat, but was certainly undiminished in volume. "Touring the perimeter? Perhaps I shall do the same, keeping the enemy's eyes away from the ground. One circuit only, though; we all need a reprieve before the final assault."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus swept forward repeatedly, surging forward and killing all around him, then backing off to reassess. He didn't call upon his brutal rage, but merely his innate and hard won skill at arms. His arms were covered to the elbow in bloodand gore. As the enemy routed, he backed off once more, allowing the normal soldiers to follow up the advance. He gathered with the rest of the Dawn Brigade in a quiet spot on the battlefield. They were near Cordelia. He was part of her bodyguard, but he was more of an offensive weapon than the others, so he tended to stray farther from her than they did, lashing out at anyone who seemed likely to get near her.

At Acacia's words, he brushed the brains off his shoulder. His blue and gold shirt and cloak were sodden with gore, and the underlying colours were barely visible. He looked every bit the darker version of his deific father, the god of righteous battle. But where his father shone brilliantly, he was more a force of nature, powerful and full of rage.

"I am always ready for one more advance," Magnus said to Saetiri's question. There was a weariness to his voice which was not matched by the powerful stance he took up. He never looked downbeaten, but there was a familiarity to his voice which was well known to his comrades, who knew how much he disliked killing ordinary soldiers. They were, after all, merely men who were forced to do battle by their betters, people whom Magnus had no problem in killing, even if they were people who had previously been his own friends.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri nods. "I'll keep an eye on Cordelia then. Be safe." she says with a smile, as she always does when separating from the group. Sitting sideways on her broom, she gets off to find the Sister.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Saetiri finds Cordelia shortly after beginning her search. Since the girl wasn't in the heat of the battle, her white dress stands out among all the red on the battlefield - though the knees and hem of her gown have become stained red, now, as she wades through the wounded and kneels next to the fallen. Each time she stops, another soldier is miraculously pulled back from the brink of death, and is able to get up on his own power and return to the army's encampment. After, of course, thanking the girl for her aid. Such powerful healing can only be another sign of the divine blessing on Cordelia.

The girl welcomes Saetiri at her side, when the kitsune appears, and together they continue across the battlefield. The longer they're out there, the less wounded there are to save, as the dead begin to pile up before Cordelia can reach them. Her expression is troubled, but resolute, as she continues to work on saving who she can for the next hour.

Together, Valien and Acacia take a circuit around the battlefield. There is plenty to see - fallen soldiers, fallen giants, even a young dragon, here and there, who had fallen in the thick of battle, their black and blue hides stained with blood. (Magnus, of course, would note, that none of the fallen were his own former friend, Theris.) The two are not attacked, however. Riasom's men have holed themselves up in the keep for a final defense against the Army of Dawn. Archers watch your movements warily from the parapets of the keep's walls.

The hour passes, and then it is time to meet Tiana in the war tent to discuss final strategy. Upon arriving, the Dawn Brigade finds the Queen of Eshen leaned over a rough map of the keep - information supplied earlier by Magnus himself - and trying to discern the best angle of attack. She looks up as each member of the vanguard arrives, and offers them a tense smile. "Well met," she says with a nod. "I assume all of you are ready?" At their confirmation, she returns her attention to the map once again, outlining the plan she has concocted with Daegal and Sundance. "Breaking these walls isn't going to be easy. A direct assault with the infantry through the front gates would be suicide. I'm having Daegal bring up the catapults so we can begin siege," she says, but there is a frown on her lips. A drawn out siege was not what she wanted. All of them wanted this to end tonight. "There's no way we can get the army in to storm the keep as long as those walls hold. But a smaller group..." she looks up, pointedly, to the Dawn Brigade, gathered before her. "May be able to break in under Riasom's nose and deliver a final blow against him that he won't see coming."

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

"Field's clear. They've all fled into the keep, it seems." Acacia reports as she enters the war tent. She lets out a slight sigh of relief, noticing that the queen's commanders are not part of this meeting. No time for distractions, definitely not tonight.

She stands at attention when Tiana addresses them. "I'm ready." She listens to the queen in silence, nodding occasionally. "That sounds like a suicide mission. Which is just the thing we're good at. All we need is a good plan." She looks at the group. "What do we know about the keep? Secret entrances, people on the inside, structural weaknesses we could exploit?"

Show
    Can I roll some sort of knowledge check to see if Acacia knows anything about the keep?
    (1d20)[10]
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2018-11-18 at 05:55 PM.
    Characters in play:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"If we have some stratagem to conceal us en route, Greytalon could fly us all in," Valien suggested. "With his enchanted harness, the weight is nothing to him—though it may take some improvisation to actually hold us all."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri roams the battlefield that she once avoided focusing on, empathizing with Cordelia through the field of corpses. "For every man and woman that gave their lives today, another village in Eshen and beyond will know peace besides this war. I find it helps to think of them when we see those we cannot save," she says, noticing the troubled expression of the Sister. "Our job, after this, is to seal those sacrifices in the permanency of victory, so that they will never be forgotten."

Back at the tent, Saetiri busies herself sweeping the doors of the meeting area. What appears as menial, almost silly, labor is in actuality a powerful abjuration. Perhaps unnecessary here, but just one more layer of security to ward off any potential prying eyes. Besides, Sae always found that the methodical work helps her think. As she works, tiny green flame-like creatures appear around herself and the others, cleaning their wounds, restitching their clothes, and removing at least the visual atrocities of their battle, if not the scars it leaves.

Show
    Using Sae's broom to protect up to 6 entrances to the tent with protection from evil for two hours. Also using Housewifery to clean off the muck of battle from folks (unless they want to keep it)

From her work around the tent Saetiri chimes in. "I can fly myself along side Greytalon to save space. Perhaps one other as well, though it will be slower. Proficient as we might be at 'suicide missions', its hardly my first preference. Have we considered a middle ground for our vanguard? I imagine dealing with the guards at the gate will be significantly easier, and would allow the army to pour in. With luck it might also draw the attention of Riasom's lieutenants away from the Spider King, making our job of killing him much easier. My fear is that we may get all the way to Riasom under cover of night, and discover him surrounded by his champions: he will be paranoid after today's defeat. I would imagine he might pull all his resources to ensure his own safety above all else. La forbid our assassination mission turns into a trap, it may change our victory today into a great loss."
    Saetiri shrugs and sits back on her broom hovering slightly a few feet in the air, her tails twitching a bit in nervous anticipation. "I will follow to the end either way my Queen. But there are my thoughts."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Tiana listens to Saetiri's concerns, giving a nod after the kitsune has voiced them. "Valid point," she concedes. "We know that not all of his champions are here - that kobold nuisance is down harassing Abeern, and the merfolk and her navy are up at the islands. We have intelligence that the vampire is down towards Gavelmith - but from what I've heard, teleporting himself here might not be out of the question," she says. "I've heard rumors that the black nine-tail was seen on the battlefield here today. He will likely be with the Spider now," she hums. She looks to the others. "What do you all think?" she questions. "Would you prefer an attempt at the walls, rather than a stealthier mission into the keep itself? Either way, we will need your strength to ensure our success."
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-11-19 at 01:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

"That's not a bad idea, actually. Cause chaos in the keep by letting our army in, then make for the spider king. I agree that we don't want to turn today's victory into a defeat." Acacia looks at the others. "We'd still need to get in stealthily, though. We can't let them raise the alarm too quickly; we don't want them to mount any sort of capable defense."

The Brenin taps her chin, in thought. "What do we think, could we fly in quickly enough to prevent them from raising an alarm? Because if not, I suggest Magnus and myself scale the walls quietly so that we can get the element of surprise."

"Then, once the gates are opened, we head into the keep to seek out the spider king."
    Characters in play:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"When the Spider—I shall not call him king—first came into his power," Valien added with a sudden shift in tone, "the Grand Master of my order, together with his honor guard, attempted to assassinate him. Perhaps we surpass their might. But since then, the Spider's might has surely increased as well, and the Knights chose a moment of vulnerability to strike whereas the Spider will be on guard now and surrounded by retainers. And I confess I am not made for clandestine war. Thus I favor capturing the gate before we press further into the Spider's burrow," he concluded.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

"I overheard some soldiers calling him Itsy Bitsy." She adds as a throwaway comment. "So, that's three votes for an assault on the gate to cause a distraction. What do you think, Magnus?"

"So, if we decide to do this, how will we approach? Through the air, or do we try to get Magnus and myself in position for a surprise attack?"
    Characters in play:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus studied the map of the keep. He remembered his days walking the very halls whose layout was miniaturised in the drawing before him. He tried to think of something more tactically useful and effective than either charging the walls en masse, or two people climbing over guarded walls. It was not cowardice which prevented him from approving of this avenue, but the likelihood that they would die with their mission a failure. He tried to think back on whether there was another option. He tried to remember whether he had ever heard of there being a secret passage into the castle. In his experience, all castles seemed to have one, just in case of a siege, so that the inhabitants could escape.

He leaned forward over the map and studied it closer, stretching his memory to try to recall any mention he may have heard of such a secret passage.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hannahbbug, feel free to roll whatever check you require to see if this works.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2018-11-23 at 07:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus dragged his finger down across the map, indicating a couple of positions. "There is a sewer system beneath the Keep. There are a number of entrances, but they are all out in the open, and the guards on the walls will see us. We could organise an attack in one of the point, shift some soldiers around and block their sightlines of us entering the sewers," he suggested. He then moved his attention to another point on the map, and pointed out an area to the rear of the Keep. "Another option, which I personally prefer, is to enter the sewers from behind. There is an entrance beneath this guard tower, but from what I can recall, you can't see the entrance from the tower. There is dead ground on the approach, so we can get there unobserved, then get into the Keep from beneath. It should be very sparsely guarded. After all, who sets guards on a sewer when there is an army at the gates? With luck, we will be able to penetrate straight to the heart of the Keep, and get to Riasom with only minimal opposition. Only problem is that we can't take a large force with us. I know that sewers aren't really in the style of the Dawn Brigade, but I think we will have to go alone, as an elite strike force."

He looked up and around at all of the Dawn Brigade and the army leadership. "Either way, it is much safer than the options we have had presented so far. What does everyone think?" he asked. He knew that he wasn't entirely trusted, and not at all by some, but this seemed the best way for him to attain some measure of atonement for his past actions, by killing Riasom himself, or at least, by using his ill gained knowledge of the Keep to gain entrance for the force which would kill him, even if he did not strike the killing blow personally.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Acacia rubs her chin. "Hmm... I like that idea. But it does again open up the possibility of Itsy Bitsy's retinue of elite guards to defeat us and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat." The Brenin turns to Saetiri and Valien, then back to the queen and Magnus. "And it means we're definitely not getting to use Valien's air superiority. But it does mean we've got a shot at getting in without being spotted."

She sighs. "Both plans work for me. I'll be useful either way."
    Characters in play:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Any chaos you make on the inside could give us an opening out here," Tiana says. "Though if you all could somehow get the gate open from the inside, more the better. If the sewer's the best way to get in, then it's the route you should take. But once you're inside... what you do is up to you all."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am not above going through the sewer, if it be the sound option. Likewise, Greytalon is formidable in melee even if he cannot fly, provided only that he can get inside. If we can reach it undetected, I believe entry through the sewer, followed by a swift action to take the gate will serve us best."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-11-28 at 01:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri considers, then shrugs. There was some part of her that liked the image of Magnus crawling through the sewers. She pushed that thought away: on the eve of their victory it wouldn't help to be petty. "If travel through the sewers helps us get in the citadel safer and more quietly, then it's a good plan to me. I vote with Tiana: I think we should use Magnus's sewer entrance to get in the keep, open the gate from the inside, then slip away from the ensuing chaos to deal with Riasom. A clean three step plan. 'Good things come in threes.'" She says, echoing an old hedge witch adage.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2018-11-26 at 10:08 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Acacia nods. "Sounds like we have a plan, then. Sneak in, pop the gate, and in the confusion, smash the spider. I vote in favor."
    Characters in play:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Tiana nods, looking over the group. "I trust you will take good care of Cordelia. While I am loathe to part with her... I know she will be safest with you, and she will need to be there to reclaim the medallion," the queen says, offering each member of the Brigade a small smile. "Is there anything further you need from me?" she asks.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus listened to the others approve of his suggestion with a measure of guarded satisfaction. If things went well, he would be more likely to be accepted by his new comrades. If the entrance was heavily guarded or, worse, led to a trap, he might even be attacked by his companions as an apparent spy. But there was little that he could do about it at this stage. It was definitely the best option available to them, and they had to take the risk in order to better ensure success for the battle as a whole.

"I agree. Attacking the gates from inside is the best option. Then we should head back into the sewers while the rest of the army attacks through the gates. Once back in the sewers, we should be able to sneak inside the main part of the Keep, and will hopefully get closer to Riasom's throne room before anyone can stop us, and while they are distracted by the main attack," he suggested.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri shakes her head and takes off her pointed hat, flipping it upside down for Roust to hop into, which he dutifully does. "The good will and spirit of our army is the only thing I need now. Lead on Magnus."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Acacia eyes Magnus suspiciously. Sure, he's been part of the Dawn Brigade longer than her, but he did fight for the enemy in the war. She considers this for a moment before pushing the thought away. If it is a trap they'll make their way out of it. Wouldn't be the first time. "Alright. You probably know your way around the place Magnus, and I'm sure you want to lead the charge, but if I were the spider I'd have that entrance trapped to hell and back. I'll be right up there with you to do what I do best: handling traps. Let's go."

"Oh, and your majesty, I'd suggest not sending anyone in after us. I may leave a nasty surprise or two behind in case some of Itsy Bitsy's forces follow our trail."
    Characters in play:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus nodded his acceptance of Acacia's words. He could not expect trust, he knew, but acceptance of his plan was sufficient for his needs at present. He considered what was said, then replied, "Traps are possible, I suppose. But Riasom tends to be a big picture sort of person. He will watch for armies, not small scale strike teams. And sewers are literally beneath his attention. He will probably not even consider them, though it is possible that one of his lieutenants might. So we must still be careful. Besides, we are sure to encounter trouble at some point, so earlier or later makes little difference. To be honest, I am less worried about guards down there, or at the entrance to the sewers, than I am about monsters just being left to live down there. I think that is more likely. So be ready to fight just about anything," he said.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The lot of you, with Cordelia following beside Saetiri, head towards the clandestine entrance. Magnus, attempting to lead the way to the sewer entrance, shows his presence to the walls a bit more than he probably should, but then Acacia takes the lead and Magnus is able to keep his head down just enough to avoid being spotted. The approach to the sewer along the walls goes well enough, and soon the group arrives at the gated entrance. Acacia makes quick work of the locked grate, and then the group steps inside. The way is darker as the group gets farther from the entrance, and the smell certainly isn't pleasant, but everything thus far has gone without a hitch.

Again, Acacia takes the lead, looking for traps and any other obstacles in the way, but it is eerily quiet. Soon enough, the group reaches a way up within the keep. Above, there are footsteps passing at regular intervals, with about a minute's space in between.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri wrinkles her nose at the smell, but ultimately the fact that they got this far successfully was an excellent start. In a voice barely above a whisper she says to Cordelia and the others. "When the bards sings songs of this day let's leave this part out, yes?"

She follows closely behind the brenin, confident in her ally's trapfinding skills.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

The Brenin looks at Saetiri and shrugs. She whispers in response. "I honestly don't care what they sing, as long as we get rid of the spider." She turns to Magnus. "Magnus, do you know where we are exactly? How far is it from here to the gate? Ideally we should be avoiding detection until we've opened it. I could probably sneak myself in, but I'd prefer it if we stick together for safety's sake."
    Characters in play:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus considered exactly where he thought the sewers had taken them, based on how far and in what direction they had come so far. It was definitely within the Keep, but it was hard to be precise. "We will come out in the main square if we continue for about two hundred feet. I think we are near either the armoury or the barracks. That would explain why there are troops wandering around above us, when they should be on the wall. If we go up here, we come out in the Keep and can get onto the wall and run about three hundred feet to the gate, perhaps a little more. Only problem is that we will be visible to archers when we are on the wall. A small problem, but I thought it would be something worth mentioning. Coming out in the courtyard will be more obvious, but will get us closer," he said, laying out the two options which had occurred to him. He didn't advocate for either one in particular. He was willing to go either way, and the danger didn't frighten him especially. Or rather, it did, but he knew that when he entered his battle rage it wouldn't any more. And it was, after all, his actions in combat which would matter.