New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Dawnbringers

Valien frowned has he pondered the options. "If we come out in the courtyard, how easy is it to get up to the wall?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-12-01 at 12:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus considered the question, then thoughtfully replied, "It is a little hard to say. I never paid that much attention to the sewer system when I was fighting for the other side. So I can't recall exactly where we would come out. But it shouldn't be hard to find stairs leading up, or a door leading straight onto, the wall, depending on exactly where it comes out."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Acacia thinks for a second. "So, opening the gate without being spotted is not going to happen. I'm going to take a quick peek, see if I can get a sense of how many guards we're dealing with here." She sneaks really close to the grate about half a minute after the footsteps disappear, trying to get as good a view as possible without having to move the thing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+15)[19]
    Perception: (1d20+14)[31]
    Characters in play:

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

From her vantage point, Acacia is able to see that, other than the patrol, the hallway is empty. If they all manage to make it out between rounds, the group could get into the keep undetected.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Acacia rejoins the group. "Alright. If we time this correctly we can slip out one by one in between their rounds and get into the keep unseen. That's probably our best bet to keep us hidden for as long as possible. If we do do it like that, I'll bring up the rear, leave the grate open and set a trap to cause some confusion here while we sneak up to the gate. How's that sound?"
    Characters in play:

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

"Do we want to push our luck by splitting up?" Valien whispered. "What if it's the third one through who alerts them? Fortune has favored us thus far but not all of us are cut out for sneaking in plain sight."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-12-04 at 12:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

"Well, we should find a hiding spot inside the keep not far from where we come up, obviously. We could try the next grate, but if it's as Magnus says and it bring us up into the courtyard we'll get spotted immediately." Acacia pauses, rubbing her chin in thought. "And I'd rather not start a fight before we've opened the gates."
    Characters in play:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri nods, saying nothing for fear of giving their position away. She's ready to jump up and find a hiding place as soon as Acacia gives the go ahead. Turning to Cordelia, she gives an inquisitive thumbs up, asking if she's ready to go as well.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Cordelia, still quiet, offers Saetiri a small smile when the kitsune turns to her. She offers a thumbs-up of her own in return.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus slipped through into the corridor like a shadow, more silent than he had perhaps ever been called upon for in his entire life. There was no way anyone could possibly hear him. Unfortunately, the rest of the Dawn Brigade was much noisier, clanking along like the merchants of death they all were. He stifled a curse, as he heard the sound of approaching guards. He drew his sword and prepared to fight, moving to the front of the group in order to protect the weaker members of the party. He drew his blade back, the easier to swing at the moment the first enemy came into range. He just hoped they would not think of yelling for help, or they would have to retreat and find another way in. They couldn't fight the entire garrison on their own, as good as they all were.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Acacia is impressed by the stealthiness of Magnus. You wouldn't expect someone that heavily armed to be that sneaky. Unfortunately for her, the others are all about as quiet as an elephant stampede in a kitchen utensil warehouse. Being the last out of the grate, she takes the time to set up a snare trap in the middle of the hallway between her own position and the direction of the footsteps of approaching guards.

Show
    Snare trap (DC 16 reflex save):
    The trap constricts around a limb or other part of the triggering creature’s body (Reflex avoids). The creature cannot move from the location of the trap, unless the ranger included a “leash” when setting the trap, in which case the creature is limited to the length of the leash. The trapped creature can escape with an Escape Artist check (DC equal to the trap’s DC) as a full-round action. The trap or its leash has a number of hit points equal to 1/2 the ranger’s level, or can be burst as a full-round action with a DC 25 Strength check. The trap can hold up to a Medium creature; each extra daily use of the ranger’s trap ability spent when the trap is set increases the maximum size of creature the trap can hold. At the ranger’s option, if there is a tall object or structure nearby, she can have the trap lift the creature.
    Characters in play:

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Valien winced as his armor plates clattered against each other, and against the hole on the way out. Wielding his lance like a spear, he took up a position between the more vulnerable party members and the presumed approaching guards.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri whacks her knee on the grate as they emerge, causing a great crashing noise. So much for being quiet...

She stands defensively, waiting to put to sleep the people that walk through the door
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

A group of five - an orc, three humans, and a robed elf - rounds the corner, weapons drawn - but they immediately become stuck behind the first of their fellows, who is snagged in Acacia's trap. "Out of the way!" bellows the orc as he shoves past the three humans and takes the lead.

Cordelia steps back against Saetiri's side, hand on her holy symbol.

Show
    Block initiative - everyone acts before the enemies, so feel free to post in any order! Once everyone has committed their actions, I'll post the results and go to the enemies' turn. Exception is if one of you kills an enemy - then I'll post asap to let all of you know how many are still standing. But don't feel obligated to wait on this! We all know how combat drags in PbP.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

Acacia, standing beside Magnus, grins when the first guard gets himself stuck in her trap. She pulls out her bow and takes aim at the group. "Surrender," is her sole command.

Show
    Move action to draw bow.
    Standard action to ready a ranged attack against the robed elf if (s)he starts casting a spell.

Spoiler: Attack if it goes off:
    Show
    Attack (w/ deadly aim): (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage (w/ deadly aim): (1d8+7)[8]
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2018-12-08 at 05:46 PM.
    Characters in play:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus paused to see if the command to surrender would work. He didn't stop his attack completely, just hesitated on his swing for long enough to see whether the sight of them would be more terrifying than their fear of Riasom.

Should they not stop advancing, Magnus swung his blade with lethal effect at the orc, who seemed the physically strongest of the enemy group.

Attack 1(1d20+13)[14]
    Damage (3d6+4)[17]

Attack 2 (1d20+8)[27]
    damage (3d6+4)[12]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Seeing the other step forward to press the assault, Saetiri wastes no time in casting a spell, causing waves of exhaustion to roll over the enemy guards. "Inda a byahara!" Her voice is almost singsongy, as it coaxes them to sleep.

Knowing that the elf will naturally be immune, she sends the spell as close to the three humans as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Deep Slumber, ideally avoiding the elf from the burst if possible. (in the event he has fewer HD than others, I don't want to target someone that's going to be immune and waste affected HD).

DC 19 will save or fall asleep for 6 minutes.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2018-12-09 at 11:20 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Valien moved up alongside Magnus, and likewise readied himself to attack any of the guards who might stop for neither his allies' words nor their spells.

Spoiler
    Show

Move up to within reach of the enemies and ready an action to Power Attack any who remain hostile and aren't incapacitated by his allies' spells.

Attack: (1d20+11)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+15)[19]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

The group continues to advance, and so Magnus is quick to dispatch the orc sergeant with a spray of blood. The three humans make as though to strike at Magnus, but each of them slumps towards the ground, put into a magical sleep by Saetiri's spell. The elf raises his hand - and his shot in the shoulder by Acacia, then rent across the chest by Valien. Within ten seconds of the group coming through the doorway, they are all downed.

Show
    Don't worry, it'll get more difficult. Just gathering data...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

"Good fortune for us," Valien whispered breathlessly. "Now onwards, before more arrive!"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Saetiri nods. "Agreed. It will be only a few minutes until they wake up. We need to raise hell before then."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Acacia

The Brenin nods. "Alright. Let's move. And let's hope we haven't alerted the entire keep yet."
    Characters in play:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

You all advance down the hallways towards the courtyard and the front gate. Soon enough, the group reaches a door with a grated window - outside you can see, about twenty feet away, is the main entry to the keep. There are plenty of soldiers in the courtyard and on the walls. Some are rushing here and there, giving orders and shouting directions as things outside the wall seem to be picking up - Tiana is getting the army in place for the assault when the doors open.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Whispering to the others, Saetiri watches the guards go back and forth.

"How do we want to play this? I could slip into the gatehouse invisible and... influence the guards there to open the gates. I could potentially bring one other with me invisibly, but that's it."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

"Try it. But once the gates are open and the attack begins, we'll have to rush in anyways to stop them from retaking the gatehouse."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Although a powerful warrior, Magnus was under no illusions about his ability to kill all the guards. He considered the options, and decided that there was no good alternative. "Do it. Who do you want to go with you?" he asked. He was happy to go along, but in spite of his stealth before, he could not guarantee that he would remain silent. Taking a warrior would likely be a good idea, though, just in case.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Many of Saetiri's tails twitch as she thinks, a noticeable sign of her indecision. Eventually the answer is clear.

"Magnus. It's likely we will have to carve our way out; I want you at my side if that's the case."

She looks towards the gate, planning out a route. "Let me know when you're ready to go. I can maintain the invisibility for only about six minutes, but any aggressive action will end it. And of course, we won't be able to see each other, so we need to coordinate where we're going now."

Spoiler
    Show
    What does the path to the gate look like, and can we see the gatehouse, or how to open the gate if there isn't one?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    The building you are standing in is about 10 feet away from the gatehouse. You'd have to go out this door and in through another - which may look strange if you're invisible. You can't see the inside of the gatehouse, so you have no idea how to open the gate or how many guards are inside.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sae peers at the window above the street. "On second thought, that window might be our best bet. It has to be less conspicuous than a door suddenly opening. I can fly the two of us on my broom."

She mounts the broomstick and slides back, leaving room for the man.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Magnus unhesitatingly climbed aboard the broomstick, then held Sae around the waist, to ensure he stayed on. "When we dismount, I will hold you by the arm, so we don't get separated. I will not strike unless we are in immediate danger," he said, as he prepared to go.