Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Order of the Stick Trivia XIX: It's Always the Demon Roaches

This is the 19th section of the Order of the Stick Trivia thread

If there are any newcomers, here are the rules:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules
    1. The first player to answer a question correctly, asks the next one.
    2. If that player doesn't have a question immediately in mind, then state "Open Question" ("OQ") and let someone else ask.
    3. Questions have to have an answer that is demonstrated by at least one, and no more than three, canon online strip. (No bonus material either online or in the books)
    4. No counting questions with more than 3 parts. For example: how many times has Roy said "the".
    5. If the answer given is not the answer expected, but still technically answers the question, allow it. You can rephrase and ask your question again later.
    6. There's a difference between rephrasing—finding a different, more precise way to word the question so it has a smaller number of possible answers—and just simply rewriting to rule out the last answer. Over and over again. Don't do the latter.
    7. If an answer is given that in no way is correct, then players can call attention to the fact. At that point, there may be 2 questions occurring at the same time. The 1st question that was incorrectly answered is the valid question. The second question may be answered, but for no prize (aka asking the next question).
    8. If your response is ninja'd, that is if someone beats you with the correct answer, please edit your post stating, "ninja'd, please answer above question".
    9. After 24 hours without an answer, please provide a hint. After an additional 24 hours pass, please provide the answer and take pride that you have stumped us all.
    10. Recognize that this is a game. It is supposed to be quick and fun. If a question seems to go beyond the rules, assume that the author is not familiar with the rules, and point them out. If the author affirms that the question is allowable within the rules, then continue with the game. If the question turns out to be not allowable, it becomes an open question. Groan and move on.
    11. Questions along the lines of "when was the first time X happened/was mentioned" are not allowed because to prove that they never happened before, one would have to link to every strip before it, which is unreasonable and would break the no-more-than-three-strips rule.

Spoiler: Incomplete list of questions mentioning of demon roaches (compiled by b_jonas)
    Show

• 9170378 find me a roach that is NOT demonic.
    • 9219323: Well, I look at is as a way to possibly learn another "minor overlooked trivia". ie, the demon roach who is supposed to look like the guy on the Monopoly game.
    • 9226398: [Find a demon screaming for mom.] By the way, I think the real answer to the demon question is the demon roach in this strip .
    • 9328002: [Find my Two Lightsabers] The roaches
    • 9533953: Find a disappearing demon roach.
    • 9632143: need more help then. it's been too long. also please no more 2 answer questions. if you refuse the next one i ask will be find all instances of demon roaches.
    • 9984767: fine an example of a 4th wall breaking scene not involving the roaches
    • 10121372: I distinctly remember someone (a demon roach?) mentioning different kinds of precipitation somewhere in small letters. But I don't know where it is.
    • 10121804: Now your question is going to be bugging me for ages...I wouldn't have got the demon roaches thing, to be honest, but you're saying that's not what you were thinking of anyway! Any chance you could tell us, or would you have to kill us subsequently?
    • 10163142: That would be a Demon Roach dressed like the guy from Monopoly .
    • 10299141: The Roach Motel.
    • 10340738: Find 3 or more Demon Roaches in 1 Panel.
    • 11089670: Find me someone with roaches in their hair.
    • 11098987: Find me a roach motel.
    • 11309047: The demon roach.
    • 11320127: Find me a roach using a microphone.
    • 11320539: Welcome to Demon Roach Entertainment Network! OQ
    • 11651129: Find a demon roach saying "Swing and a miss!"
    • 11655938: [Find a reference to Monopoly] Take the bet Monopoly house and 'stachy roach.
    • 11938198: [Find a creature, who is fully visible (so the MITD doesn't count), holding an object without a visible hand. ] several times where roaches hold objects,
    • 12979995: [Who thinks the campaign has gotten 'too monty hall'?] This demon roach.
    • 13271299: Or the roach dressed as the Monopoly guy
    • 13294495: the monopoly roach.
    • 13690312: What does the king of the demon Roaches want?
    • 13690790: Still on the subject of roaches - Find me someone with a couple of them on his head.
    • 13702893: You were looking for the Celestial Roach, weren't you?
    • 13827978: Find a reference to Monopoly that doesn't involve demon roaches or the MitD.
    • 14235450: Maybe the demon roaches had a mini briefcase at some point...
    • 14481372: Find a demon roach with an amulet.
    • 14484387: Find a demon-roach doll
    • 14658025: Find me a miniature demon roach doll.
    • 14863434: Find me a toy version of a villain (with human proportions, so the demon roaches and a dragon don't count).
    • 15027352: where there's an angelic roach.
    • 15086501: Which strip has a tiny demon roach doll?
    • 15364326: [who's going to make a fortune on the internet?] The demon roaches (Telepork! (TM)).
    • 15429157: Find me two dead demon roaches.
    • 15435302: Actually, the dinosaurs. See what the roach says. We'll use your question, though.
    • 15484773: Find me someone, other than Xykon and Redcloak (and I suppose the Demon Roaches), who knows what the MitD actually is. And, no, "A Good Man" is not the answer I am looking for.
    • 15697426: [Find a comic where an animal is wearing something in one panel but not in the next panel, without an explanation of why.] one of the demon roaches is wearing an Indiana Jones hat and belt, and in their next appearance the hat and belt are gone.
    • 16867300: Hint: It's quite attractive to roaches.
    • 16905957: That's the one. The reference was to Redcloak saying MitD was going to attract more demon roaches if he didn't clean up after himself.
    • 19641770: The king of all roaches
    • 19944910: [Find an infernal hippie ] It's a demon roach in 422.
    • 20457602: Who regrets investing in life insurance? Declaring OQ because it's been more than two days, the answer I was looking for was: One of the Demon Roaches
    • 21231019: Could it be the MitD and roaches? (panel 5) I count 8 though, 6 from MitD and 2 from roaches.
    • 21477995: The king of all roaches
    • 21913483: [Find a lightsaber fight.] Who else but the demon roaches?
    • 22203933: Hmmm.. I guess that answers the question. The Roach King certainly feels he should get cake. I was thinking of a more explicit "this person/these people get cake" kind of a thing. There are roaches present when the opinion is expressed.
    • 22205369: The demon roaches are listed as major characters in that thread, so the last answer still holds up.
    • 22820950: [Taking the OQ, who says "Make love, not war"?] Demon-roach [Note: same panel as in 19944910.]
    • 23134158: [Find me a light sabre fight.] The demon-roaches, of course. [Note: same question as in 21913483 and 9328002.]
    • 23150683: [find] someone stepping on a demon roach.
    • 23310913: [Who reminds us that more buffing probably happens off-panel?] The demon roaches .
    • 23336810: Find 2 different species of roach.
    • 23401023: Try checking the demon roaches' lines.
    • 23401680: That’s what I was going for, but now that I look back, there are a bunch of people that are not evil that the roaches talk to.
    • 23401370: Find a demon roach taking to a non-team evil member, hobgoblin, and non-O-Chul character (SOD doesn’t count)
    • 23434131: That was indeed what I was looking for. While we might have seen them all by now, the demon roach didn't think so at the time of that comic.
    • 23454747: What do we have over— Hint: It was said by a demon roach in Gobbetopia
    • 23458937: What causes the demon roaches to keep appearing?
    • 23495677: Divination spells from the dark one, according to the Demon Roaches
    • 23477724: [Find someone with monocle and white mustache.] Depends on your definition of someone . Roaches count, right?
    • 23502277: What joke did the demon roaches find to be a stretch?

Last Question of the previous thread was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    What is loud and clear?

Last edited by Caerulea; 2019-04-05 at 04:08 PM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XIX: It's Always the Demon Roaches

Last Question of the previous thread was:
    What is loud and clear?
    Telepathy!
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html

Who's got the big guns and isn't afraid to use them early?
    Last edited by Bastian Weaver; 2018-11-16 at 10:36 AM.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

3. - Top - End - #3

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian Weaver View Post
    Who's got the big guns and isn't afraid to use them early?
    Laurin, the Psion.

OQ
    Extended Signature.

she/her

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Find me a humanoid with white-tipped hair.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The pedant in me (especially since that was my thread title) must point out that it's Blackwing, not Blackwind.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    The pedant in me (especially since that was my thread title) must point out that it's Blackwing, not Blackwind.
    Sorry, I didn't notice that. Fixed.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

d20 Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XIX: It's Always the Demon Roaches

Top right corner of splash panel.

If correct, find me a brown-skinned non-humanoid with grey hair standing next to another non-humanoid with black skin and black hair.

EDIT: typo "plash" --> "splash
    Last edited by qbits; 2018-11-16 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Begin by internalizing that you know nothing worth knowing. Discussion is futile and meaningless. You don't even know what it means to be, let alone to learn.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

List of OotS Trivia threads with dates

New thread is here.

(Should I have waited? We were at 50 and I wasn't sure.)
    No. Half of the threads ran to 51 pages, and one ran to 56 pages. This thread can be pretty fast, we fill a page of 30 posts before you can blink. You were right to start a new one.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by qbits View Post
    find me a brown-skinned non-humanoid with grey hair standing next to another non-humanoid with black skin and black hair.
    This one's a toughie, it got me occupied for a long time. The only non-humanoids with hair that I can recall are the lizardfolk, horses, dogs, cats. We see lizardfolk in #676 (prostitutes), #413 (throwaway joke for pre-painted miniatures in randomized boosters), #777 (Ganji and another gladiator), but they all have green skin. Lizardfolk probably aren't supposed to have hair because they're reptiles, not mammals, but everyone was too preoccupied with the boobs so that didn't get much attention. Kobolds are yellow and have no hair, although the Oracle is wearing a shower cap to protect his nonexistent hair and a shower brush to wash his scaled body, and he even calls the humans “disgustingly-hairy mouth-breathing ape-people”. Dragons are of various color and usually have no hair, although one of Tiamat's head has a suspicious attachment. #55 has a blue monster with red eyes and red hair among the monsters imprisoned by Dorukan's amulet. It must be horses then. In #173, Haley is riding a horse with black skin and black hair, but Durkon is riding a yellow-skinned horse with brown hair, so that's only half of the pair. In #141, we see that Vaarsuvius's horse has brown skin and gray hair. And in the tenth panel, it's walking right behind Haley's horse with the black skin and black hair, so that is my answer. Is that what you were thinking, qbits, or did you have some other monsters in your mind?

OQ.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-11-16 at 05:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Who studies trigonometry?
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    Who studies trigonometry?
    Does the operation of a sextant require trig?

If so,
    What brand of popcorn does the MitD eat?
    Extended Signature.

she/her

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If so, What brand of popcorn does the MitD eat?
    I generally don't just search for phrases of the question in the transcript anymore unless I already know what strip I'm looking for, because it feels cheap, and it only answers easy trivia questions anyway. But looking at the index of strips about the MitD is another matter altogether, because I compiled that index. The descriptions in the first half of the index suck, I should rewrite them at some point to include all the important details. For example, they don't mention popcorn at all. Anyway, in #82, the MitD is eating “Nifty Pop” popcorn while watching the scrying ball. He's eating popcorn again in #369 when watching the fight between Redcloak and Miko, but the brand isn't identified. OQ.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-11-16 at 08:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    OQ.
    If a sextant was a valid answer:

Find 2 stacks of plates.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

wink Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XIX: It's Always the Demon Roaches

Spoiler
    Show
    Begin by internalizing that you know nothing worth knowing. Discussion is futile and meaningless. You don't even know what it means to be, let alone to learn.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Find 2 stacks of plates.
    Durkon tries to help her mom doing the washing up, and she ends up dropping them and breaking. Since Durkon's mom is in it, it must be in one of the flashbacks that Durkon shows to Greg, but I think it's one of the earlier ones presented in the comic. I think it's right before the giant frog scene. Yup, here it is all right in #963, first panel. The second stack of plates is still on the table. OQ.

Quote Originally Posted by qbits View Post
    Those are in fact the horses I had in mind, although not the specific strip that I looked at. I commend you.
    Ah, #207 matches the description better because the horses are standing in place rather than trotting.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-11-16 at 10:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Find me the almost 2nd best pickpockets ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Find me the almost 2nd best pickpockets ever.
    Here?

If so: OQ

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    Here?

If so: OQ
    Well, those are the most awesome pickpockets in the entire world... I would guess the answer is these two, since they almost got away with it.

OQ if that's right. (Also, if it is right, this might be a good reminder to try to keep questions based in something directly in a strip image or text rather than based in inferences.)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Does the operation of a sextant require trig?

If so,
    What brand of popcorn does the MitD eat?
    The intended answer was Andi but I suppose that works too.

Anyway, last person gave an OQ, so find me a half-elf with no visible ears.

(The ears are never visible, not just invisible in one frame. You don't have to prove they're never visible by posting every frame they're in, just don't pick a zoomed in picture of Pompey. If you've found the right person, you'll know.)
    Last edited by Potatopeelerkin; 2018-11-17 at 04:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

so find me a half-elf with no visible ears.
    Here? OQ if correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Here? OQ if correct.
    No, sorry. The character's ears are never visible- it's not just panel shenanigans. I've edited the post to make it clearer, hopefully.
    Last edited by Potatopeelerkin; 2018-11-17 at 04:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Carol, the oldest crewmember aboard the Mechane.

OQ
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Carol, the oldest crewmember aboard the Mechane.

OQ
    All these OQs!

Find me one page with a person who should lean in, and one page with a person who shouldn't. (Both pages include the phrase "lean in")

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Durkon tries to help her mom doing the washing up, and she ends up dropping them and breaking. Since Durkon's mom is in it, it must be in one of the flashbacks that Durkon shows to Greg, but I think it's one of the earlier ones presented in the comic. I think it's right before the giant frog scene. Yup, here it is all right in #963, first panel. The second stack of plates is still on the table. OQ.
    I was thinking of the plates in 104, which has the buffet for the heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    OQ
    What does Roy say he will wear as a necklace.

And ninja'd.

Find me one page with a person who should lean in, and one page with a person who shouldn't. (Both pages include the phrase "lean in")

Don't lean in! He's got a poison tooth!

"Lean in, sister!"

What does Roy say he will wear as a necklace?
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2018-11-17 at 08:43 AM.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I was thinking of the plates in 104, which has the buffet for the heroes.

What does Roy say he will wear as a necklace.

And ninja'd.

Don't lean in! He's got a poison tooth!

"Lean in, sister!"

What does Roy say he will wear as a necklace?
    Xykon’s Teeth

OQ

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    OQ
    Find a silver earring.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Do Crystals earrings count? Such as in 581 or most Crystal strips?

If so, who is totally going to get a detention.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Elan shouldn't be passing notes in class battle.

What would cause Haley to sneak attack someone where the sun don't shine?
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-11-17 at 10:23 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    What would cause Haley to sneak attack someone where the sun don't shine?
    This dwarf continuing to call her a whore.

Find Eric, alive.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    OQ.
    Find the king of all roaches.