New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Savage Attacker

1. - Top - End - #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Savage Attacker

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    Can you apply the benefits of the Savage Attacker feat to the Sneak attack of a rogue?
    "reroll the weapon's damage dice"

I'd say no, since it specifies the weapons damage dice, and not just damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    Can you apply the benefits of the Savage Attacker feat to the Sneak attack of a rogue?
    I guess by the latest Crawford regarding great weapon fightstyle it's a no... I'd allow it though. They're both horrible without it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I actually just asked the same question on RPG Stack Exchange. People came to the same conclusion that MadBear did.

Note the wording on Savage Attacker vs. Critical Attack rolls. Savage Attack says "you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice", where Critical Hit states "roll all of the attack's damage dice".

There's a clear difference there, in that Critical takes all of the damage from the attack (including Sneak Attack), where Savage Attacker states only the "weapon damage dice".

In terms of the swingiest weapon with the greatest benefit (Great Axe, 1d12), that's +3.25 damage per turn at the MOST. It's not a very good feat, something I'd probably make a half feat (meaning having it grant you +1 STR or something).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-11-16 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5

It may be a way to make the feat worthwhile by allowing reroll on all damage die with riders.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Its decent on moon druids who end up with 4d10 damage dice

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lolzyking View Post
    Its decent on moon druids who end up with 4d10 damage dice
    That is pretty decent. That's about +11 damage per turn. What form do they have that deals 4d10 on a single attack?
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    That is pretty decent. That's about +11 damage per turn. What form do they have that deals 4d10 on a single attack?
    Dunno about 4d10, but a lot of the CR 2 Beasts get one attack per turn that does massive damage. The quetzalcoatlus, for example, can do 6d6+2 damage with a single attack if gets the damage boost from Dive Attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Dunno about 4d10, but a lot of the CR 2 Beasts get one attack per turn that does massive damage. The quetzalcoatlus, for example, can do 6d6+2 damage with a single attack if gets the damage boost from Dive Attack.
    For it to be eligible for Savage Attack, it can't be listed as "Extra damage" (like with Sneak Attack), it has to be listed as direct damage from the "weapon". I don't have the Monster Manual on hand, so I can't compare, but I just wanted to bring it up in case anyone was trying to make a build off of it.

5th Edition Homebrewery

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

The bite on a T-Rex is 4d12. That's not bad. Thrown rock from a giant ape is 7d6. I could definitely see this being useful if there's a caster in your party who likes to cast polymorph.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

11. - Top - End - #11

Mammoth, though it's actually 4d8 + STR on the Gore attack and 4d10 + STR on the stomp attack, though the target must be knocked prone from it's trampling charge feature to trigger the stomp attack.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    The bite on a T-Rex is 4d12. That's not bad. Thrown rock from a giant ape is 7d6. I could definitely see this being useful if there's a caster in your party who likes to cast polymorph.
    But can you even use feats while polymorphed? Unlike wildshape that says it retains a big and kind-of-open list of benefits, polymorph just seems to entirely replace all mechanical factors besides alignment and personality.
    Last edited by OvisCaedo; 2018-11-16 at 03:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

For it to be eligible for Savage Attack, it can't be listed as "Extra damage" (like with Sneak Attack), it has to be listed as direct damage from the "weapon". I don't have the Monster Manual on hand, so I can't compare, but I just wanted to bring it up in case anyone was trying to make a build off of it.
    Ah, I forgot about that. Yeah, the dive damage bonus is probably listed as "extra damage" (I'm too lazy to check right now, though).
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2018-11-16 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Ah, I forgot about that. Yeah, the dive damage bonus is probably listed as "extra damage" (I'm too lazy to check right now, though).
    Yes, it's extra damage.

Quote Originally Posted by QUETZALCOATLUS
    Dive Attack.If the quetzalcoatlus is flying and dives at least 30 feet toward a target and then hits with a bite attack, the attack deals an extra 10 (3d6) damage to the target.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    But can you even use feats while polymorphed? Unlike wildshape that says it retains a big and kind-of-open list of benefits, polymorph just seems to entirely replace all mechanical factors besides alignment and personality.
    No feats while Polymorpled: you play the creature as written.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Savage Attacker gets better for Barbarians with the Brutal Critical class feature. 4d12 on a critical hit with a greataxe is worth re-rolling.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?