New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default [3.5] Archivist spell sources (such as trapsmith)

Hey guys,

I'm working on an archivist and I'm sourcing spells from obscure sources. My DM for this campaign is on board (all players are T1 and the encounters are built to challenge optimized characters, so anything RAW is allowed).

I want to use the archivist's ability to gain some powerful spells at low level. There are many examples of this, such as summon giants as a level 4 spell through disciple of thrym's version (which is a level 4 divine spell). Another such case is acquiring haste as a level 1 spell by using the trapsmith version. People say this is a cool option, and I would agree.

However, I took a look at the trapsmith, but apparently the trapsmith casts arcane spells. Were all the people who recommended gaining haste at level one through trapsmith mistaken? Or am I looking at the wrong version?

Or is there another explanation?

I've tried searching but I couldn't find an answer anywhere :(

EDIT: Sorry, this is concerning 3.5 by the way! :)
    Last edited by Reliku; 2018-11-16 at 05:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Archivist spell sources (such as trapsmith)

Trapsmith is used for Artificer, not Archivist, from memory.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reliku View Post

However, I took a look at the trapsmith, but apparently the trapsmith casts arcane spells. Were all the people who recommended gaining haste at level one through trapsmith mistaken? Or am I looking at the wrong version?

Or is there another explanation?
    1. Cooperative crafting. A trapsmith can theoretically work with a divine caster to produce a divine scroll of a usually arcane spell. This, in fact, can be said of for every single arcane spell.
    2. Feats that allow you to cast one as the other. Southern magician would let you cast a divine version of the arcane trapsmith spell. Then, you can write a scroll of this spell.
    There's another feat that lets you do this, but its name escapes me.

EDIT: Ah, it's called Alternative Spell Source. Thank you, forum search!
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2018-11-16 at 07:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I did a write-up of Archivist Class Spell Access a while back that you might find a useful starting point. I'm not sure how to actually pull off spells from the Trapsmith in particular, but one of the methods mentioned may lead into it through some additional rules-gymnastics that I didn't already cover.
    Last edited by BowStreetRunner; 2018-11-16 at 09:29 PM.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would suggest checking out the Chameleon Handbook - it contains a nice list of spells that can be accessed at lower levels through different classes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    I did a write-up of Archivist Class Spell Access a while back that you might find a useful starting point. I'm not sure how to actually pull off spells from the Trapsmith in particular, but one of the methods mentioned may lead into it through some additional rules-gymnastics that I didn't already cover.
    Further to that write-up without necro'ing the thread -- you already have there that domain spells can be picked up by someone who has the domain, but also consider the cleric who doshes out 3,000 or so on a Domain Draught, which gives him access to the spells of that domain for 24 hours. Probably wouldn't work scribing scrolls of more than 1,000 gp in value, of course, but this might shorten the way to access for some.