New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Setting Hook: Dungeon Fungus

In D&D, the concept of the typical dungeon is a well-known one. A labyrinth of five-foot corridors and perfectly square rooms, full of elaborate traps, wandering monsters, and hidden loot. It's a trope dating back to the original Chainmail game, and iconically tied to the entire genre.
    There's just one small problem: how unrealistic they are. Very few people would be willing and able to create places like these. For every mad mage creating a nonsensical maze, there are plenty of combat-full goblin hovels and orcish warcamps that don't make sense as a traditional dungeon. My idea does something interesting with this concept, and turns it into an entire plot line for a campaign.

May I introduce...
    The Dungeon Fungus

The "dungeon fungus" is a mysterious infestation of something resembling mold. It infects locations - typically enclosed spaces, like caves and large buildings - and magically twists the layout of an infected area into something resembling a stereotypical old-school dungeon. A fungal den grows traps and monsters to defend the infected area, created out of the actual fungus. Materials and creatures created by the dungeon fungus outwardly look normal, but upon their destruction, they crumble to reveal their true form.
    Each fungal den has a core, typically a large object or particularly powerful fungal monster. If the core of a particular infection is destroyed, that infection (and any other infections spawned by that one, who haven't yet grown a core of their own) are destroyed. Fungal creatures instantly die, and over several hours, the layout returns to normal.
    The growth of new dens goes in a several-step process. First, fungal creatures from another den assault an area, driving out any previous inhabitants to clear the way for new growth. Second, these creatures begin to spread the fungus in the new territory, which begins to morph the layout. Third, with the accumulation of fungal growth, a new core is spawned in that area. After that, the core and the den grow out more inhabitants and traps to fill the area. These fungal monsters often mimic the area's former inhabitants, but usually with some changes, and sometimes as completely new beasts. With this new den complete, monsters are sent out to attack another area and create a new den.
    Sometimes, inhabitants and treasure remain in the original area after the fungal attack, and are incorporated into the new design. Infected creatures are under the control of the fungus, but they die as normal, and return to their former state when the core is destroyed. Treasure can still be recovered and brought back to civilization.

In The World
    The dungeon fungus is a plot hook big enough to serve as a seed for an entire campaign. Adventurers could spend their time destroying cores to fight back the fungal influence, protecting borderland civilizations from attempts to create new dens, or seeking into infected territories to destroy the source of it all.
    Many smaller events could arise from the fungal infection as well. Normally evil creatures like orcs and goblins, once foes of civilization, might be persuaded to work with heroes and fight against the dungeon fungus. Major calamities could purge vast areas of infection, changing the course of a war against the fungus.
    In my idea of what this would look like in a world, the dungeon fungus may have overtaken less civilized areas of the world, beginning to encroach on frontier cities. However, it could easily be at a different point in its growth, to allow for a different sort of campaign. Perhaps heroes defend last bastions of civilization against a world overwhelmed by the dungeon fungus, or perhaps it only just begins to grow in the most remote corners of the world.

So, thoughts or questions? I think it's a neat concept, but there are probably issues I haven't thought about. Also, if you want to use this in your own campaign or setting, feel free.
    "Urgh... That bedamned clapperclaw blocks the path!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Setting Hook: Dungeon Fungus

I suppose it's a nice idea for a dungeon, but I don't see it as something I'd use more than once. There's no interesting antagonist in this, and it doesn't sound as much of a threat as long as you avoid it. It kinda reminds me of deepspawn, delvers, mimics and yellow musk creepers. You'd get a bunch of different creatures out of this, so that's good. At least a core and 2 kinds of minions, with some added spore traps. Maybe some puzzle rooms where it isn't entirely clear how to advance. It's a dungeon inside a colossal creature, except this one would have an alien physique that kinda makes sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

it's an interesting concept, it justifies several tropes. it also lets you use different monsters of different power.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Suggested stats for the creatures?
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on my concept!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    I suppose it's a nice idea for a dungeon, but I don't see it as something I'd use more than once. There's no interesting antagonist in this, and it doesn't sound as much of a threat as long as you avoid it. It kinda reminds me of deepspawn, delvers, mimics and yellow musk creepers. You'd get a bunch of different creatures out of this, so that's good. At least a core and 2 kinds of minions, with some added spore traps. Maybe some puzzle rooms where it isn't entirely clear how to advance. It's a dungeon inside a colossal creature, except this one would have an alien physique that kinda makes sense.
    It could certainly work as a standalone dungeon if you want this in your world. I think that the creator of the fungus could itself be a threat and overarching antagonist, depending on how tied said creator is to its existence.
    Now that you mention it, the fungus might not actually be that much of a threat, seeing as it only infects certain locations. That said, it might attempt to infect survivors or attack cities, which could make it into a much larger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    Suggested stats for the creatures?
    Because of how the dungeon fungus mimics creatures, almost anything from the Monster Manual could work. Goblins? Ogres? Even a dragon could be an interesting option for a core. These creatures (at least, in D&D 5e) would probably have the plant creature type instead of their normal one, and the additional features of their hive mind and disappearance upon death.
    "Urgh... That bedamned clapperclaw blocks the path!"