New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Light Armor Proficiency

I'm sorry... WUT?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook page 89
    You are proficient with light armor (see Table 7–6: Armor and Shields, page 123).
    Benefit: When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble checks.
    Normal: A character who is wearing armor with which she is not proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride.
    Special: All characters except wizards, sorcerers, and monks automatically have Armor Proficiency (light) as a bonus feat. They need not select it.

Can someone PLEASE point me to errata that fixes this?!? Because something is wrong here, and I believe this is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Light Armor Proficiency

Yeah, it's definitely wrong.

Pick Pocket isn't a thing anymore. It clearly means Sleight of Hand.

[/intentionallymissingthepoint]
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I don't know that there is one. Not one that I've ever seen.

As far as the PHB is concerned, it's basically correct. Those are the only classes that lack any armor proficiency.

And I'm not saying this is a good argument, but it can be argued for the classes outside the PHB that the specific entries in a class description trumps the general rule that the feat lays down.

Otherwise, yeah, it's just one of many dysfunctions.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. All characters. So not just members of other classes like Shugenja and Wu Jen and stuff. All characters. Including non-humanoids. Monsters and such. And familiars and animal companions. And goats that you bought for 1 gp each. And the Infested Commmoner's chickens.

Specific beats general, right? What's more specific, the type definition rules that specify what armor proficiency you get from HD alone (e.g., MM1 pg. 306 under Animal Type: "Proficient with no armor unless trained for war.") or the rules for a feat that specify both who has it (everyone) and what benefit this specific feat gives (proficiency with a kind of armor, and I think we can all agree that any character who actually has a feat and meets the prereqs should gain the benefit of said feat—a Wizard who took the feat, for example, would clearly be able to proficiently wear leather armor, even if that's still not a wise move for them)?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh god, this will be super useful for DCFS