New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Players constantly dying

Quote Originally Posted by Yael View Post
    Anyone got thoughts on the Fortress of the Yuan Ti module?
    I haven't checked it out, but I'd expect more of the same since it's the same adventure path. All you gotta do is look at the expected character level, then look at the ELs of the encounters, and how many extra problems the PCs have to deal with during those encounters. The newer format with all the encounters in the back makes it even faster. All the fix you should need is a bit of a sidequest to give them a level or two more than the module is advertising, and a reminder of all the bad stuff that happened last time (unless they're all soulknife monks now).

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I'd let it be. Plus the nice thing about modules is that the difficulty is set so you don't have to worry about it being your fault. Except Google opinions to make sure the modules aren't sucky.
    I mean, that's kinda my point isn't it? That the difficulty of this module is in fact faulty, so the DM should worry about it. Moudles aren't exempt from the same pitfalls as any other book. Overall internet opinions will probably be like overall forum opinions: lots of people saying it's great (because they player higher OP and need the challenge), and other people saying it's just a little difficult (because for them it was actually overpowered but they never considered the possibility a module would advertise the wrong PC level).
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Players constantly dying

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    All the fix you should need is a bit of a sidequest to give them a level or two more than the module is advertising, and a reminder of all the bad stuff that happened last time (unless they're all soulknife monks now).
    Since the medusa is gone, and the items of interest are gone, I'm assuming the portal that the medusa took to the Fortress is also now gone? Or was it permanent?

I'm sure you've already ruled on that in game (since the players came back to get their former selves, and presumably un-petrify themselves), but I might have introduced a reason/way that the portal is still there, but currently not working/blocked. Maybe a few side missions with Es'sarch to level up a bit, and get a means to breach through the blocked portal...