New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A "Gem Wizard" concept.

Basically an arcane spellcaster with a love/affinity for gems, that works with them and incorporates them into spellcasting somehow. Kind of a weird idea but I wondered how it could be done.
    A google search did bring up this feat for me.

I'm not entirely sure how good these would be though, as at face value metamagic rods just seem superior all around. Much less building a character based around making and using metamagic gems. That's just one potential idea I had for such a character though. I'm not entirely fixated on it for the concept. Thoughts/ideas?
    Last edited by tadkins; 2018-11-21 at 01:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A "Gem Wizard" concept.

Would you accept a psion, specifically a shaper? They have a default crystal flavour, which is easily refluffed as gems without anyone batting an eye. The other catch is that it's either 3.5 or DSP's work that you'd be using.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Faerun has gem magic users. Here's a feat for you.
    They also have rune magic that you could always refluff as gems.
    Gems can be used just like potions using alternate item rules
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

or you have spheres of power wizard with gem magic drawback and skilled casting gemcutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks y'all so far, keep 'em coming. :)

Quote Originally Posted by chaos_redefined View Post
    Would you accept a psion, specifically a shaper? They have a default crystal flavour, which is easily refluffed as gems without anyone batting an eye. The other catch is that it's either 3.5 or DSP's work that you'd be using.
    I'd like to keep it as an arcane spellcaster if possible (psion just doesn't really fit the image I'm thinking of) but other than that material from different sources are great. Just in case I want to use it in Pathfinder, or 3.5, or what have you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Some spells from earlier editions that may be useful, either directly or as inspiration for other things:

Blastjewel
    (Evocation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Components: V, M
    Range: touch
    Duration: special
    Target: 1 gem worth at least 500 gp
    Saving throw: Reflex half
    Spell resistance: no

You inscribe an invisible rune on a valuable gem, which cannot be set in jewelry or a wall or similar. At any later date you may mentally command the gem to explode, dealing 1d6/level (maximum 10d6) points of piercing damage from the shrapnel to all creatures in 20 feet. You may trigger the gem from any distance on the same planet.
    Material Components: a gem worth at least 500 gp, which is consumed upon triggering the spell
    Known to: dragons

Facet
    (Transmutation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Components: V, M
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Target: 1 gem
    Saving throw: Fortitude negates
    Spell resistance: yes

You improve the value of a cut gem by removing imperfections, polishing it, fixing the cut, etc. The value of the gem doubles but it must make a Fortitude save or be destroyed in the process, and this save cannot be avoided in any way short of a wish or miracle. No gem can be enhanced beyond 25 000 gp in value.
    Material Components: a jeweller's cloth
    Note: Birthright

Janga's Jewel
    (Divination)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 7
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: 24 hours
    Target: 1 gem

You imbue the target gem with one use each of know alignment, discern lies, arrow of location and an prediction of one event in the next 10 minutes, which is accurate so long as no one acts on the information to prevent or alter the event.
    Material Components: a gem worth at least 400 gp

Sand Gems
    (Transmutation)
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Effect: 1 handful of sand

You transform a handful of sand to a crystalline gem of your choice, up to 1000 gp in value. You permanently lose 1 hit point which may not be avoided or regained by any means short of wish or miracle.
    Material Components: handful of sand

Transmute Gem
    (Transmutation)
    Level: Clr/Or 3
    Components: V, S, DF
    Duration: permanent
    Target: one gem
    Saving throw: special

You can alter a gem, increasing or decreasing attributes of it. This spell can either alter a gem while keeping the same gp cost of it or attempt to refine the gem to increase cost. If the GP value is stable, gains in one area come at the cost of loss in another. For instance, one could make a gem bigger, but it would lose clarity and purity. A purer gem would be reduced in size or alter shape to a less valuable cut. This effect, while permanent, does not require a saving throw.
    If you attempt to increase the value of a gem, it must make a Fortitude save DC 15 to survive the process. You must make a Craft (jewelry) check.
    DC price increae
    15 25%
    20 50%
    25 100%
    30 150%

In any case, a gem may only be subject to this spell once. Any further attempts destroy the gem to the point of worthlessness.
    Granted by: dwarven deities

Triad Gem
    (Transmutation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 9
    Duration: special
    Target: 1 ruby

You store up to three spells that cannot have a combined casting time or more than 1 minute in a specially prepared ruby that may be released as a standard action by concentration or breaking the gem. If you are the caster you may choose which spell to release, otherwise a randomly chosen spell is released on a randomly chosend target/area. You may release one spell at a time or up to three, releasing one per round in the order you choose. If not used, the ruby loses one spell per day.
    Material Components: a ruby worth 500 gp
    Note: known to Sammaster in FR

Vision Crystal
    (Divination)
    Components: V, S, F
    Duration: 1 minutes/level
    Target: 1 object

You turn one clear or reflective object, e.g. a mirror, gem, crystal ball as a crystal ball. You can employ read magic, detect magic, comprehend languages, low-light vision, darkvision and any other detect effects through the focus.
    Focus: the object to scry through

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Transmute Gem
    (Transmutation)
    Level: Clr/Or 3
    Components: V, S, DF
    Duration: permanent
    Target: one gem
    Saving throw: special

You can alter a gem, increasing or decreasing attributes of it. This spell can either alter a gem while keeping the same gp cost of it or attempt to refine the gem to increase cost. If the GP value is stable, gains in one area come at the cost of loss in another. For instance, one could make a gem bigger, but it would lose clarity and purity. A purer gem would be reduced in size or alter shape to a less valuable cut. This effect, while permanent, does not require a saving throw.
    If you attempt to increase the value of a gem, it must make a Fortitude save DC 15 to survive the process. You must make a Craft (jewelry) check.
    DC price increae
    15 25%
    20 50%
    25 100%
    30 150%

In any case, a gem may only be subject to this spell once. Any further attempts destroy the gem to the point of worthlessness.
    Granted by: dwarven deities
    Where is this from? I just pictured an undead necromancer increasing their onyx gem's value.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The oread has an alternate race trait called oread gem magic that let's you modify spells with gem stones. Kinda cool option on the race front if oread is allowed.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This idea is outrageous.
    Truly, truly outrageous.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feantar View Post
    Where is this from? I just pictured an undead necromancer increasing their onyx gem's value.
    Dragon Magazine Annual #3

I'm sure a necromancer could do so, but it would have to be one with a patron from the dwarven pantheon who is cool with undead.