The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (OOC) New Orleans by Night CtL 2E

Will give at least one more player a chance to respond.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Any chance that the Motley's shared aspirations might have dinged at any point?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For the most part, I'm not sure recently there were any aspirations hit... however, at the end of the "scene" which is coming up I will run through everything and probably catch a few moments when everyone earned some beats.

Oh damn, sorry. My reading of the rules was more of a subtle, thematic tie into the Dreamweaving action. I.E. Inspiring a 'reflective' mood in the Dream to create a mirror, rather than just pointing one out. Scrolling up, I can see where you made that correction with Earthen Rite - sorry for not getting that earlier.
    I suppose the same rules apply with Hedgespinning? I was hoping to employ some of these burgeoning music dice pools for that at some point.
    No apologies necessary. First off, I don't think the rules are particularly clear on this. On the one hand, it says, make any mundane roll, but then on the other they make it sound like it should be more applicable. Second though, this is my first time running these 2E rules (and I assume it's the same for everyone), so I'm not going to claim superior knowledge/experience. Because of this I am completely open to discussion among us and making some decisions as to how these rules should be interpreted. And that's probably true of almost all my rulings, I'm always open to discussion. I'm the ST, but I'm not a dictator.

In regards to Hedgespinning, it's the same mechanics, but they are more overt about this. The activities do not have to be tied. They use the example of rolling a successful hit during combat and using some of the successes to change the environment. In comparison, with the Dreamweaving, they talk about arriving on the scene of a murder, and the players rolling persuasion to convince the dream they are cops, and therefore shifting into the uniforms of cops.

So again, I interpret these differently, though I'm open to discussion.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm waiting to let some of the other players respond, though I can use an NPC to keep things moving if today appears slow.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

breaking point:

(1d10)[1]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Reggy does not take any clarity damage, having resisted the sudden questioning of his own reality.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Clarity Roll - (1d10)[4](4)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you. Sebstian as well is able to maintain his grasp of reality without taking Clarity damage.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As if it needed mentioning, I'm not ignoring this thread, just holding off on replying to let Players respond. But please let me know if you want me to move things on.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello friends! Long time no see.

I'd like to start by apologizing for dropping off the face of the planet. I wish I could claim otherwise, but things spiraled out of control in life so fast and hard that getting online was nowhere on my radar. I won't get into all the nitty-gritty details of what was going on, but there was extended periods of hospitalization followed by a court battle to get custody of my kids back from my ex.

Long story short, I am in a much better place now; both physically and mentally.

I'm glad Benno reached out to me again, as I've been feeling supremely guilty for abandoning everyone. It's not logical, but matters such as this rarely are.

So, I'm going to read through the threads and find out what I've missed and go from there.

In the words of the infamous Bender:

"I'm back, baby!"
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Heya, I'm Hiska! I only stepped into the game after you left, but its good to meet you!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Heh, it would be interesting if Songbird were able to become the Domino before Halloween. I may have him throw his hat in to that ring, when the time comes.
    On another note, what time is it in-game?
    @Ohiska: Sounds like a good aspiration. Maybe something to add when we end this scene, which certainly seems to be winding to a close (all agreed?). I'd say its around 5PM. Sun is still up, but people are gonna start settling down for drinks.

@All: This scene is definitely coming to a close. I will let it run on as far as people want, but I've got nothing to add for the scene. I'm relinquishing Big Tom, and all of Erulasto's characters back into his control. I will start counting out and doling out beats. Think about any aspiration changes you want to make. We will transition to some preludes for character exploration.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiska View Post
    Heya, I'm Hiska! I only stepped into the game after you left, but its good to meet you!
    Good to meet you as well!

@Benno: I sent you a PM with some inquiries about the games and the time I've missed.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Counting up Beats (note that I am only assigning beats that weren't already given out during the course of the game):

Sebastian: xxxxxxx
    Reggie: xxxxxxx
    Songbird: xxxxxxx

So all three players gain a beat for finishing the scene. Both Songbird and Sebastian have taken Clarity damage and gain beats from that. Reggy gets a beat for "signing" the Tumbledown Brass band for the hospital fundraiser. I am giving Sebastian and Reggie a beat for the information gained about the Hallow's Eve contract from Wren Lamontaigne (Ohiska wasn't with us yet). I'm giving all three 2 beast for the information gained from Pengrove, as a lot was uncovered. All three gain a beat for exploring Hedgespinning, and a second for exploring Oneiromancy as these are new, and interesting rules unique to Changeling. Lastly Songbird gets a beat for discovering Kitsune's ipod, which is part of finding Kitsune aspiration.

That tallies to 7 beats for each character. This puts Reggie at 1 beat and 2 experience, Songbird at 3 beats and 1 experience, and Sebastian at 2 beats and 2 experience.

As always, please please please speak up if you think I missed something. I am very fallible and am always willing to discuss. Also, please let me know if you want to update any of your aspirations. As previously stated, we will be moving to solo interlude scenes shortly. All WP will be restored.

Erulasto: Because you were absent for most all of this "Scene" I'm going to hold off on giving Tom beats for now, but I know you will be able to make up for this shortly. But I will give him a beat because he took clarity damage and that will stay on your character box going forward. This puts tom at 4 beats.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Erulasto: Because you were absent for most all of this "Scene" I'm going to hold off on giving Tom beats for now, but I know you will be able to make up for this shortly. But I will give him a beat because he took clarity damage and that will stay on your character box going forward. This puts tom at 4 beats.
    All good, and it makes sense. It just wouldn't be fair for me to reap the rewards when I wasn't here to do the work.

If you don't mind, Benno, I'm going to hold off on making a post for Tom until you do the scene change. Sort of like a fresh start, you know? That work for you? I don't really think there's much to add to the tail end here.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rightio. I think I'll stick with the Aspirations I have for now and I'll wait until we begin the solo scenes to post again.

May I spend my Experience to get the third dot of Enchanting Performance? Or does this not count as the end of a session?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey all, sorry for the delayed response. Yesterday was my birthday, and am now on vacation with my wife for the week. Are we ready to move on then???

And yes, you may spend XP now, and change aspirations, or you can wait till after the "interlude" where more beats will be gained.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Okay, so I haven't had many responses, though I think part of it is that players don't check the OOC thread regularly. Unless I hear otherwise by this afternoon, I will move everyone on to the interlude scenes. I apologize if part of the lag in the game is on a miscommunication or something on my end.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so I haven't had many responses, though I think part of it is that players don't check the OOC thread regularly. Unless I hear otherwise by this afternoon, I will move everyone on to the interlude scenes. I apologize if part of the lag in the game is on a miscommunication or something on my end.
    I'm ready when you are. I'm mostly caught up with the IC thread. I may read through it a couple more times in the next few days, but I feel confident I'm capable of picking up here at the next scene.

Thanks Benno!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey all, I am working my way through the interlude scenes. These take a little more time to write, as I have to set an individual scene for each PC. Also, I am on vacation, and there's only so much time my wife will let me sit in front of my laptop :P

I have a clear idea for each player and am just trying to use what downtime I have right now to get words on paper... or screen. Thank you for the patience.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey all, I am back home now and will be resuming my more regular posting schedule. I apologize for the delays this week, and appreciate everyone's patience with me!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

ER, would you give me a manipulation + empathy roll
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@All: I'd like to propose a basic homebrew rule that will likely benefit all players and I believe makes sense in the context of Changeling the Lost. The current rule states "Any time your character takes clarity damage, take a beat". I'd like to add to this, "or simply takes a breaking point". I feel breaking points are central to the concept of Changelings as figures who have been captured, subjected to torture and gaslit, and are now left always doubting themselves and their interpretation of the world around them.

Therefore, I don't think it makes sense to only "reward" failing a breaking point, but anytime your character does something that makes them challenge their perception (ie a breaking point) that should be dramatic enough for a beat.

I won't make this official till I hear responses from everyone.

@Ohiska: Before you asked this

May I spend my Experience to get the third dot of Enchanting Performance? Or does this not count as the end of a session?
    To clarify, yes you may. Please respond whether or not you do this before I remove the point of experience from your character box.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm down with the house rule. But I have another inquiry as well.

Do Changelings inherently sense portals into the Hedge? Would Tom know if this alley leads there? Is there a roll I need to make ti determine that? Sorry - I dont have access to the book until I get home. Hehe

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Changelings to do not immediately sense portals, though any door or "entrance" can be used to Portal. Perception rolls would be decent, but some Contracts can also be useful
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For Tom's 10 again (4d10)[4][5][5][7](21)

Sorry for being slow to respond.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297

Beholder

Manipulation + Empathy - (4d10)[9][1][10][7](27)

28. - Top - End - #298

Beholder

Rolling a 10 again, which is odd because I usually remember to type that in.

(1d10)[7](7)

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

For Tom's 10 again [roll0]

Sorry for being slow to respond.
    Sorry for missing the 10-Again. Posted from a cellphone and then forgot to check at my PC later. Hehe

I don't think Tom has any Contracts that would be useful in this particular regard, unfortunately. I'm just trying to make sure I understand the option's here. Based on what I've read about Portaling in the Changeling book, if Tom knows there is a hidden path to the Hedge he can spend a point of Glamour and say the magic words (the example it gives is "open sesame", or somesuch) and the portal will open again. Since all of Tom's Contracts are related more to combat, surprise/ambushes, or being scarier, as far as I can tell that's my only real recourse.

I'm making an IC post accordingly, but let me know if I've messed up Benno and I can adjust it as needed!

Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm in favour of the house-rule-... Without it, you feel a little disappointed every time you avoid taking Clarity damage.

And yeah, I think I'll spend that Experience.