The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: (OOC) New Orleans by Night CtL 2E

Just FYI but I am generally super bad at posting on weekends. If I don't get it in it's first thing Monday for sure.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Just for continuity’s sake, Sebastian didn’t go up after the Reggy and Tom to see Kitsune. He was more curious about the phone right now until he knows whether there’s anyone on the line.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ok. I wasn't clear that he was picking up the phone. Will adjust/edit my IC post now, so you won't see a new post
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #34

Hey Benno, just a quick note on Clarity. I think that basically any time Imere gets cornered into providing any sort of medical attention for another person it is going to force a surprisingly nasty Clarity roll because it's re-enacting the Durance. It can be mitigated if it's dealing with very minor stuff that she's learned how to deal with, and it goes way off the danger end if it's something life and death.

It's some nice mechanical punch to something that's already a priority for her to avoid.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-12-02 at 04:19 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As long as you are okay with that challenge, I am Thanqol.

Thank you for the patience everyone. IC post coming now
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    I am Thanqol.
    No, you are Bennosuke

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Gotta work on my grammar/punctuation I guess
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-12-04 at 01:17 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

[I'm looking to make some sort of occult roll here. Bonuses, penalties?]
    I'd say it would be Wits or Int+ Occult and you could get a +2 bonus as there isn't too much hidden here.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

I'd say it would be Wits or Int+ Occult and you could get a +2 bonus as there isn't too much hidden here.
    Nothing on 7 dice

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You rolled at home?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

You rolled at home?
    I'm in the habit of using my own dice, I can switch to the forum roller if you prefer. I just find it saves me coding multiple pools for 10-agains and such which I otherwise forget.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I know it's a bother, and I believe I know all of the players well enough to believe we can all play honestly, but so that no one doubts anyone, I would prefer you use the forum roller.

Thank you

EDIT: Also, no successes on seven dice??? That's bad luck!
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-12-06 at 08:18 AM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

I know it's a bother, and I believe I know all of the players well enough to believe we can all play honestly, but so that no one doubts anyone, I would prefer you use the forum roller.

Thank you

EDIT: Also, no successes on seven dice??? That's bad luck!
    No worries

14. - Top - End - #44

Hey Benno, that's a very cold no you've given me there so I've got nowhere to really take this scene from here. At this point I'm looking for something interesting to happen to Imere to draw her back in because there's no clear chain of exciting logic to follow through on.

15. - Top - End - #45

Beholder

My occult roll was...uninspiring too!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Hey Benno, that's a very cold no you've given me there so I've got nowhere to really take this scene from here. At this point I'm looking for something interesting to happen to Imere to draw her back in because there's no clear chain of exciting logic to follow through on.
    I apologize. While it's not meant to be some deep and important secret, I usually don't have a problem giving some hints with a failed investigation roll; but this is so simple that giving a little is the same as giving the whole thing.

So how about this; Imere can tell that this was a reflection of the Wyrd making a sudden and powerful change in reality; picking up on the glamour rich scent, but Imere can't make heads or tails of what the Wyrd was doing or why.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

I apologize. While it's not meant to be some deep and important secret, I usually don't have a problem giving some hints with a failed investigation roll; but this is so simple that giving a little is the same as giving the whole thing.

So how about this; Imere can tell that this was a reflection of the Wyrd making a sudden and powerful change in reality; picking up on the glamour rich scent, but Imere can't make heads or tails of what the Wyrd was doing or why.
    That's not quite what I was getting at. Have you heard of the idea of 'failing forwards'? It's the concept that you should never be like 'no you find nothing' because the only thing that a player can do then is just stare at you blankly and be like 'okay'.

Instead, the theory goes, you should take a failed dice roll not as a simulationist 'you failed to do the thing you were attempting' but a narrative 'you succeed in doing the thing you were attempting in a way that's really bad for you'. Like, the phone rings again and Imere picks up and it's an evil faerie monster on the other end who now knows her name and starts making really creepy and personal threats. My agenda in this game is to have an interesting day, not to try and perform a magical forensic investigation, so I'm super down with bad things happening so long as they happen in an interesting way that drives the story forwards. When I fail a roll I want to feel like 'oh crap!' not 'oh, okay'.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My apologies for the delayed response, and I am sorry if I did not explain myself well. In regards to:

ave you heard of the idea of 'failing forwards'? It's the concept that you should never be like 'no you find nothing' because the only thing that a player can do then is just stare at you blankly and be like 'okay'.

Instead, the theory goes, you should take a failed dice roll not as a simulationist 'you failed to do the thing you were attempting' but a narrative 'you succeed in doing the thing you were attempting in a way that's really bad for you'. Like, the phone rings again and Imere picks up and it's an evil faerie monster on the other end who now knows her name and starts making really creepy and personal threats.
    This was exactly what I was referring to with:

While it's not meant to be some deep and important secret, I usually don't have a problem giving some hints with a failed investigation roll; but this is so simple that giving a little is the same as giving the whole thing.
    I do understand the idea of "failing forward", though I am familiar with the concept under a different name. Perhaps there was a work around I didn't think of, but without revealing more, I simply couldn't think of a way of giving a little away without giving it all away, so to speak. It honestly (I think) stems from the fact that while I described the phone going off for a specific reason, I didn't expect it to become a focus and something that would be investigated, though that is the joy/challenge of GM/St-ing.

My apologies.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

I do understand the idea of "failing forward", though I am familiar with the concept under a different name. Perhaps there was a work around I didn't think of, but without revealing more, I simply couldn't think of a way of giving a little away without giving it all away, so to speak. It honestly (I think) stems from the fact that while I described the phone going off for a specific reason, I didn't expect it to become a focus and something that would be investigated, though that is the joy/challenge of GM/St-ing.

My apologies.
    Fair enough. Still, the point remains that I'm kind of at a dead end right now and four people talking to the same NPC gets messy, so I'd love you to kick my character's butt in some sort of direction

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fair enough... coming right up.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-12-10 at 07:41 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@ER/Erulasto/Ladorak: The kitchen is probably not a great hiding place. There is Sebastian's Hollow, but once inside, the chalk doorway would remain (though if the visitor is a supernatural they will have to try to force the door open), so it won't exactly be a perfect hiding place. The kitchen has an attachment to the basement, and a back door. Don't forget, you can always portal into the Hedge if you so care. Or you can do a decent job hiding and rely on Imere to distract/redirect the visitor... assuming the visitor even has any oppositional intention.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Gosh darn it mixed up the forum dice roller

[roll0]

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Gosh darn it mixed up the forum dice roller

(4d10)[1][4][7][7](19)
    >:T this is why I hate using this fricking thing

(4d10)[1][4][7][7](19)

24. - Top - End - #54

Sebastian is great, you are great.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Hit me with a 10 Again!

(1d10)[5]
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

doodly doodly doo (6d10)[9][8][10][7][3][1](38) and 10 again (6d10)[9][5][4][10][6][8](42)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

Beholder

Just to be clear is she looking at my ledger of stolen dreams, or the book I have the fae spellbook locked in? It will greatly change how I respond!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The latter . What's a touchstone for if it doesn't get threatened from time to time.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

I can make an Intimidate roll if you want, but we got him three to one with a giant scary knight on hand so I think it's a bit redundant?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Not necessary.
    Show