The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (OOC) New Orleans by Night CtL 2E

Dexterity+Computers? Hehe
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I PM'ed Ladorak who has been a little MIA, but have not heard back from him. Hopefully he is okay. In the mean time, I will be controlling Reggie, just to keep things moving forward.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Just as a heads up, I will be away at a conference from Thursday to Saturday of this week, and my posting will likely be affected during this time.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Just as a heads up, Erulasto had to be hospitalized again, though it sounds like he is recovering well. I'll let him talk more about his health, though I encourage you to PM him with support. I will be controlling his characters for a little while longer till he has recovered.

I do think there needs to be more discussion as to the next step, but please let me know if you think we should end this "scene". Otherwise, I can use Tom to prompt further discussion.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Just as a heads up, Erulasto had to be hospitalized again, though it sounds like he is recovering well. I'll let him talk more about his health, though I encourage you to PM him with support. I will be controlling his characters for a little while longer till he has recovered.

I do think there needs to be more discussion as to the next step, but please let me know if you think we should end this "scene". Otherwise, I can use Tom to prompt further discussion.
    I've got nothing to add, I'm happy to scene.

Get well soon Erulasto!!
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey all, back from the AAP conference, and getting to responding to all the games now. The conference was sufficiently busy, and I was unable to get to any quality posting. Thank you for the patience.

On a side note, my Grandmother passed away while I was at he conference, and the funeral will be tomorrow. I am okay, and after her suffering for many years, I am simply happy she is at peace. But this means my post rate may be affected tomorrow and maybe Monday (depending on how long family is in town).
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127

Hey all, back from the AAP conference, and getting to responding to all the games now. The conference was sufficiently busy, and I was unable to get to any quality posting. Thank you for the patience.

On a side note, my Grandmother passed away while I was at he conference, and the funeral will be tomorrow. I am okay, and after her suffering for many years, I am simply happy she is at peace. But this means my post rate may be affected tomorrow and maybe Monday (depending on how long family is in town).
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-24 at 05:32 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you for the kindness. I only hope I haven't lost everyone's interest in my limited absence.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

[4,2,4,1,4,8 - 1 success]
    @Thanqol: I don't mean to be too big of a bother, as I know the forum roller is less than ideal, but I would still prefer if you roll "inside" the forum.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

@Thanqol: I don't mean to be too big of a bother, as I know the forum roller is less than ideal, but I would still prefer if you roll "inside" the forum.
    Oh, right, sorry, I forgot - this is the only game that I use the forum roller for. Would you like me to reroll?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

No, that's fine. I overall trust every player, but I feel that using the dice roller ensures that all players have certainty that there is less opportunity to cheat ect.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

No, that's fine. I overall trust every player, but I feel that using the dice roller ensures that all players have certainty that there is less opportunity to cheat ect.
    Makes sense, it's just a habit thing. I'll try to remember.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I am now going to perform library kung-fu to learn all that can be known about the agreement.

Intelligence + Occult (w/ Specialty) + Library = 4 + 3 + 4 = (11d10)[6][9][4][9][7][4][4][8][10][1][1](63)

9 Again: (11d10)[10][7][6][9][8][10][10][3][1][8][5](77)

14. - Top - End - #134

Beholder

And, another on the 9 again: (1d10)[3](3)

5 successes by my count seems pretty nice.
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-02-27 at 07:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sebastian's Stamina + composure (5d10)[6][9][5][9][6](35) and 10 again (5d10)[8][6][5][6][5](30)
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Happy Carnival everyone!!! Since today is Mardi Gras, the holiday most strongly associated with New Orleans, I'm giving everyone an extra beat, just for fun.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@All: Thank you for the patience. IC post coming now.

@Thanqol: Unfortunately, the video was blocked
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

@All: Thank you for the patience. IC post coming now.

@Thanqol: Unfortunately, the video was blocked
    Dang. Um, look for chika dance / 'love is war' ending. It's a dorky cute anime dance.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lol. One of my pediatric patients was showing me something very similar a while back.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

Hey Benno, I'm currently suffering terminal character motivation issues and it's really starting to show through in my posts.

When I made this character I set up a really strong conflict: She's a crap doctor who everyone thinks is a legendary doctor. Her motivation was to hide out from all the people who think that she's a legendary doctor while she figured out what she's doing with her life.

That hasn't been touched on once. The character's current objective is, uh... meeting an old lady who was in a photograph so she can find out why the magical fox chick who teleported into her bathroom has a lizard man after her so the lizard man doesn't come after me. That's not an objective. That's not even a mild preference. It's making everything I write feel stilted and fake and turning this game into a massive drag.

Something Needs To Be Done.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm sorry you feel this way, and I do recognize that the game has dragged (especially with one player being pretty MIA). I can only promise that each character will get an opportunity to explore their individual identity's/backgrounds/story arcs, and ask for your patience. However, feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss further, and of course, if the game simply isn't your cup of tea, you are welcome to drop out.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

I'm sorry you feel this way, and I do recognize that the game has dragged (especially with one player being pretty MIA). I can only promise that each character will get an opportunity to explore their individual identity's/backgrounds/story arcs, and ask for your patience. However, feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss further, and of course, if the game simply isn't your cup of tea, you are welcome to drop out.
    It's a tempo thing, I think. My character was built around the expectation of being unable to live a normal life and everything in this game so far has been eminently mundane and unthreatening. I can't think of really one bad thing that's happened to my character so far or one thing that she's motivated to solve. It's not a case of 'wait and your backstory will become relevant', it's that the entire structure of the game so far has not connected to my character's problems in any way, or given any problems that I am motivated to solve. No problems, no drama, no story.

It's the literary equivalent of treading water and I'm at the stage where the character is drowning or drowned. I don't think I can recover elegantly because the character's voice has developed in such a meandering fashion if problems were to start happening now I'd need to completely redefine who she is.

I've been feeling this for a while but this lecture series really helped me with the vocabulary to describe why I wasn't feeling it. I strongly recommend you give it a listen.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you for the recommendation. I hope how things progress are more satisfactory. I have some ideas in mind for how to address some of your concerns.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And after thinking about it, and hearing your concerns, I think I have some ideas for Imere's Aspirations, which are often meant to help the ST identify what sort of situations you want your character be placed into. So Thanqol, how would you feel about:

-Be placed in a situation in which Imere is in immediate danger, threatening either her health or her clarity
    -Have Imere in a situation where someone is reliant on her medical "expertise" to heal them
    -Have Imere learn more about the actual practices of "mundane" medicine

Would this sound like situations you would like to see Imere involved in? I know it isn't going to be the fix to the problem as you see it, but perhaps it does help inform me as to how you want to see your character involved in the story.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Beholder

And here I thought I was going to have a nice, light login for tonight’s post!

In truth though I like the moral quandary. I do have a question I couldn’t find in the rules. Can someone be killed in dreams? In other words, could Sebastian use Oneiromancy to sculpt a pleasant dream for him to then kind of...”fade away” into?

26. - Top - End - #146

And after thinking about it, and hearing your concerns, I think I have some ideas for Imere's Aspirations, which are often meant to help the ST identify what sort of situations you want your character be placed into. So Thanqol, how would you feel about:

-Be placed in a situation in which Imere is in immediate danger, threatening either her health or her clarity
    -Have Imere in a situation where someone is reliant on her medical "expertise" to heal them
    -Have Imere learn more about the actual practices of "mundane" medicine

Would this sound like situations you would like to see Imere involved in? I know it isn't going to be the fix to the problem as you see it, but perhaps it does help inform me as to how you want to see your character involved in the story.
    So a term bandied around a lot in those lectures is 'Discovery Writer' - that's an author who doesn't do plotting and outlining and wants to find out what the story is through the process of writing it. That's very much the type of writer I am especially when it comes to games. It makes it really difficult for me to future project the exact kind of scenes I want to be a part of; I want to find those out organically.

At the same time, another catchphrase used is 'In the beginning of your story you chase your character up a tree. In the middle you throw rocks at her. At the end she gets down from the tree'. That's kind of the main thing I'm trying to get at here. I want to be chased up a tree and have rocks thrown at me. There are a bunch of hooks I've given for that - those three things you've listed are all definitely things that I want - but I don't want Imere to learn about real medicine for the hell of it, I want her to do it because she'll be guillotined by the King of Summer (or whatever) if she can't.

I'm also going to have to mentally hard reset my character because nothing's working for me and it's been so long since it has been working for me I'm not entirely clear with what I'm trying to do. That might take a few days.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@ER: Glad I can give you a tough spot. In regards to your question about Oneiromancy, the art of dreamweaving is a complicated and arcane skill that not many Changelings have mastered. Please give me an Int + Occult roll + plus your specialty as I'll give Faerie lore the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-03-16 at 06:53 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

Beholder

Roll for Oneiromancy - Int + Occult + Specialty = 9 Dice = (9d10)[2][9][2][10][8][6][5][1][4](47)
    10s = (9d10)[8][5][3][1][7][8][4][7][1](44)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fours successes! Sebastian has experienced a death during his experimentation with Oneiromancy. He remembers being stabbed in the heart, the pain that felt so real, and then simply waking up in bed with a dull ache in his chest.

No, dying in a dream does not lead to death in real life... however... perhaps that was useful somehow.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

Beholder

Fours successes! Sebastian has experienced a death during his experimentation with Oneiromancy. He remembers being stabbed in the heart, the pain that felt so real, and then simply waking up in bed with a dull ache in his chest.

No, dying in a dream does not lead to death in real life... however... perhaps that was useful somehow.
    I think I can work with that! I have a few ideas.’I’ll be writing it up soon. My car has been giving me problems, so I’ll be working on that for a while and it may cause me some delays in posting. Please accept my apologies if I am.