The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: (OOC) New Orleans by Night CtL 2E

Sebastian will hopefully guide his party through the Dreamscape...

(6d10)[4][2][8][1][1][4](20)
    10s - (6d10)[7][8][9][10][8][1](43)

...it’s been a while since I’ve been here, OK?? ;)

Please help me with rolls!
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-07-10 at 08:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Okay, Songbird gives Sebastian one extra dice, and we are waiting on Ladorak to roll for Reggie. I've had a poop day, so if everyone's okay with it I'll let that drag things down rather than move things on.

And Ohiska:

Unrelated side note: I was going through the Clarity rules, checking to see if this would trigger anything in Songbird. Didn't seem like it, but I realised he should have had a Breaking Point when he found out Arthur wasn't the guy he thought he was-... Sorry I didn't notice that at the time.
    Do you want to retroactively roll for that? I'm sorry for not catching it. I will be very honest that I find Clarity breaking points less intuitive to identify than most other CofD games.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rolling that one success that Ohiska got (1d10)[8](8) and 10 again (3d10)[2][3][6](11)

EDIT: So that's two successes for the group vs. 1 for the "Hedge". Again, the success goal is 7.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-12 at 07:12 AM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244

Beholder

I love the idea of this navigation and the way the dream roads are. I just hope I roll better!

(5d10)[6][8][2][5][5](26)
    10s - (5d10)[8][9][8][5][4](34)

Also, I am away til Wednesday, so my posting may be spotty.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Do you want to retroactively roll for that? I'm sorry for not catching it. I will be very honest that I find Clarity breaking points less intuitive to identify than most other CofD games.
    Nah, it's fine. No need to be sorry. It wouldn't feel natural right now, but it might fit after the group has buried Pengrove. And yeah, Clarity's hard for me, too.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Darn ER, the dice have just not been helping you out in this game. And thank you for the heads up. Is it okay with you if I roll for Sebastian to keep things moving?

Rolling for "The Hedge" (6d10)[3][1][5][6][9][8](32)

EDIT Post- so waiting on Ladorak, but without his roll, the Changelings are tied with the Hedge for 3/7 successes... this could be close!

I'm not gonna try lending dice to Sebastian, as I would have to spend more Willpower-... Need to save some for the way out, after all. Speaking of which - does a mirror in a dream count as a real mirror for the purposes of Mirrorwalking?
    I think to encourage team work, you may as well roll a chance dice. I won't penalize the team if you roll a 1. In regards to Mirror walking, that's a super interesting question, but I think you should be able to still... but an interesting concept.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-13 at 07:50 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll roll that chance die here, if that's okay.

(1d10)[8]

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ohiska, that one success gives ER one extra dice. Feel free to roll that 1d10 for him if you like. I know the odds aren't great but that extra success would be helpful me thinks.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For Ohiska and Ladorak, please roll the higher of your Composure or Resolve + Survival to assist Sebastian. The rolls have been rather unsuccessful so far, and so now we are at Changelings 4 vs. Hedge 5 with a goal of 7.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ohiska adds one success to the pool, and Ladorak adds two dice which need rolling (rolling here) (2d10)[1][7](8) and for good measure here are the 10 again (2d10)[2][9](11)

Okay, that ties the Changelings and the Hedge at 5 and 5, it looks like this last round will be close!

EDIT: And Ohiska has valiantly been spending WP to help keep the Changelings keep up. Ohiska, I think this will count towards fulfillment of Songbird's Needle of Friendship, and I am giving Songbird back a WP, giving you 1/4 now.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-17 at 07:31 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ah, Benno, I believe I should have 5 Total Willpower, on account of having Resolve 3 and Composure 2.

Yeah, I just checked my character submission, I think I accidentally put '4/4' Willpower instead of '5/5', all that time ago. That's my bad. Sorry about that.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ohiska, my bad as well. I should have caught that. I will adjust your Character box now, which puts Songbird at 2/5 WP. Then I will be getting the promised IC post up.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

Beholder

I’m back and catching up on posting. Benno, to respond here, the dream Sebastian is looking for is one of someone who maintained their integrity in the face of terrible odds. Maybe a dream of forgiveness, absolution.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So, I am going to answer Ladorak's question here, and pontificate quickly on Oneiromancy in 2E, trying my best to sum up what you can do in a dream accurately and simply. My only caveat is that the system is very different than in 1E, and this being my first game of Changeling 2E I can only say I will do my best.

First, because everyone came into the Dreamworld through the Gate of Horn, you are physically present and use your regular stats. However, if the group had gone to sleep and lucid dreamed their way over through the Gate of Ivory, you would be using modified stats, and the rules would be slightly different.

Dreams (where the players are now) are symbolic and fluid settings that are malleable to those who know they are in the dream via the skill of Oneiromancy. Dreams are filled with the dreamer, Eidolons (people/characters that you can interact with) and props (objects and animals). You can interact with Eidolons and Props like in real life, but should remember that most of these are either simply set dressing, or have some sort of significant meaning to the dreamer.

Changelings in a dream must engage directly with the dream world and must try their best to integrate themselves appropriately within a dream. So if you come upon a crime scene, perhaps you would introduce yourselves as cops or detectives. Songbird tried to introduce himself as a musician playing at the restaurant. Failure to do so will cause the dream to essentially reject you ala Inception. But yes, you can use contracts... however, there is a completely different power that Changelings have, which is why I am posting this rather than resolving Ladorak's contract role

So changelings have the ability to shift the reality of the dream in the same way a lucid dreamer does. The game breaks this up into subtle shifts, and paradigm shifts. Subtle shifts would be things like, say changing your costume so that you have a blazer on, to things like making a minor location change. You can also literally place modifiers and tilts on characters and Eidolons this way (see page 218). Paradigm shifts are obviously more messy changes, often times creating changes that would be out of place in the setting of the drea, for example turning the scary restaurant worker into an astronaut, or completely changing the scene from say a restaurant to the surface of the moon.

Mechanically this is a little complicated (at least on initial read), but uses the same mechanics as Hedgespinning, something that all Changelings can do while in the Hedge, again because of the malleable reality. So, you make a mundane roll for a regular action (And Ohiska, I apologize for not catching this, let me know if you want to use your persuasion roll thusly), and can allocate successes between the original goal of the roll and Oneiromancy by spending a point of Glam. Different types of shifting have different costs, as per the table on page 218. IF you get an exceptional success, you can instead spend two glamour and go for a paradigm shift.

For example, Songbird makes a Presence + Subterfuge roll and says, "But I am already wearing a blazer" and gets 4 successes. He uses three successes to convince the waiter, and uses the extra success to create a shift in which all the players are wearing blazers. Take a look at the chart because there are some pretty neat things you can do. Alternatively, he uses three successes to change the waiter into a baby, and then the group just walks away.

Lastly, I'll say that when CHangelings enter a Bastion, they always enter on the outskirts, so they probably are aware of the fact that this isn't where the action is, this is just dressing for a dream scene happening somewhere else.

Ladorak, please let me know if you still want to use the contract.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Also, if you know the system well and have anything to add or correct please feel free to speak up
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That is all useful information, and thank you for it. Cool system, in that case cancel the Contract.

Instead could I use the presence+socialize roll I made IC. 2 successes, 1 to convince the waiter Reggy is a VIP, the other to 'grow' the group to adult size?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll wait for the confirmation that Ladorak's 'make the group bigger' attempt worked before posting, as what I was going to say was fairly dependent on that.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Okay, yes I think that is an acceptable 1 success subtle shift. I'll resolve this in the IC thread. I will spend the one point of Glam on Reggy's character box.

Thank you everyone for the patience with me this weekend. The wife has been on nights during the week, so trying to spend some quality time with her after not seeing her for a week.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259

Beholder

Wits + Intelligence (7d10)[7][1][2][3][3][10][9](35)
    10s - (7d10)[2][7][4][2][3][3][4](25)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Just as one extra note regarding the rules above for Dreamweaving, for those not familiar, there is an almost identical set of rules for Hedgespinning in the Hedge. Rather than writing them out, I'll invite everyone to read through them. There are also slightly more complicated rules for Hedge navigation, which complicates the navigating for the players, which I held back on, because I didn't want this "side quest" to become too complicated. Just as a heads up.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@ER: Any desire to either spend a WP to roll an extra 3 dice, or alternatively turn the failure into a dramatic one for a beat?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262

Beholder

@ER: Any desire to either spend a WP to roll an extra 3 dice, or alternatively turn the failure into a dramatic one for a beat?
    I think I will keep it just a regular failure so others can help to succeed in this. I already spent WP in the roll :(

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Surprisingly quiet day. Totally understand if everyone is busy, but please speak out if you are waiting on me...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

Beholder

Can I “find” another tomb right next to that one using magic? Basically say we were really putting him in here?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Absolutely. Again, you could make a Presence + Subterfuge/Persuasion/Expression roll saying exactly what you said, and along with convincing the kid with extra successes literally create a free tomb for your body.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

Beholder

Excellent!

Spending a Willpower
    (7d10)[9][9][2][7][2][1][2](32)
    10s - (7d10)[2][2][6][8][6][7][4](35)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My apologies ER, but I think Ladorak/Reggy made the roll to shift open a tomb, and change the carpet roll to a nice casket. What is ER trying to accomplish, before I resolve the roll?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268

Beholder

My apologies ER, but I think Ladorak/Reggy made the roll to shift open a tomb, and change the carpet roll to a nice casket. What is ER trying to accomplish, before I resolve the roll?
    He did...It was just what I got for checking OOC before IC :) it was just a practice roll...unless my numbers are close enough that I could persuade this kid to open up a little? But that is secondary.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hmmm... the kid is already neutral to the party. How about you keep the WP and hold off on the roll? Unless there is something very specific you want to accomplish.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think we're good to leave?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.