New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Looking for a gaming tool...

Those who have used them can attest to this: while Dungeon Tiles are nice and useful, they can be a real pain the keister to set up and make them stay that way. However, they are almost a necessity for games where strategy in combat is vital.

Recently, I was informed of an alternative. Apparently, somewhere in the dark depths of the Interwebs, is a site where you can purchase a kind of dry-erase cloth (made specifically for gaming, not those giant dry-erase Post-its) that can simply be laid on the table on the DM can doodle out maps on as he pleases. However, despite my mighty internet investigation skills, my search has yet to be fruitful.

So, tell me: has anyone come across something like this while spelunking in the depths of cyberspace in search of gaming gear? Or better yet, come across on in---GASP--real life?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Translation [of "Stop Posting"]: I don't know how to argue against this, so I'm just going to tell you to shut up in attempt to make it look like the counterargument is so blatantly obvious that I don't even need to explain it in a suitably condescending tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    The proper way to run a fight at ECL90 gestalt is to line up and kick each other in the genitals. The first one who falls over loses and his character's soul is devoured by the winner.
    FREE video game and anime music!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a gaming tool...

Yeah, my DM has one. It's a battle mat from Crystal Caste. The link to it (or at least a product similar to it) is here.

On closer inspection, these are actually "Wet Erase" mats, but it amounts to the same thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh my, yes! That is exactly the item of my desire! Thank you, good sir, ever so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Translation [of "Stop Posting"]: I don't know how to argue against this, so I'm just going to tell you to shut up in attempt to make it look like the counterargument is so blatantly obvious that I don't even need to explain it in a suitably condescending tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    The proper way to run a fight at ECL90 gestalt is to line up and kick each other in the genitals. The first one who falls over loses and his character's soul is devoured by the winner.
    FREE video game and anime music!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Closest thing to that I've seen is actual white-board with dry-erase markers. I don't know of any erasable cloth-like material. Another option would be to purchase a bulk roll of white butcher paper.

Also, there are various pieces of software out there to help you with this kind of thing. Gametable is the name of one. Or you can use Microsoft Paint, zoom way in, turn on the grid lines, and use a color-coded system of pixels to show the map. With any of these, try hooking up a laptop so it outputs to a T.V. so everyone can see it.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chessex also makes them. I've never seen a Crystal Caste one, so I can't say anything about the difference between them. But, if you are a bit short on money, Chessex lets you buy second-runs (marginally lower quality) for about $10 cheaper than the regular price. That's how I got mine, and, seriously, I can't see what made it second-run.