Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 515
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Slightly embarrassed at her earlier faux pas, Charazael accompanies the brood in silent observation. She politely declines anyone touching her. At the mention of the word " Merrshaulk" her ear's perk up.

    Spoiler: Rollz
    Show
    Roll to see if we are being followed Spot: (1d20+5)[11]
    Knowledge Religion for Merrshaulk: (1d20+5)[6]

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Charazael

    Charazael wracks her brain for this Mershaulk but comes up empty. Is this entity an ally or foe of Mother?

    "Metzli, I do not know of Merrshaulk, but it is obvious your people hold her in great reverence, please, ease my ignorance and tell me more of Merrshaulk."

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Charazael

    Charazael wracks her brain for this Mershaulk but comes up empty. Is this entity an ally or foe of Mother?

    "Metzli, I do not know of Merrshaulk, but it is obvious your people hold her in great reverence, please, ease my ignorance and tell me more of Merrshaulk."
    “Merrshaulk is our god! He who adopted us, who taught us the ways of magic. It was under his watchful eye and guidance that we were finally able to fight back against the Tathliki to our south, who had pushed us back to the Yaun River and would have slain the last of us there! To Eztl, he appeared, first in a dream, a majestic serpent of every color with great wings. He told Eztl that now was not the time for his people to die, that the world was a more interesting place with them in it. He then gave Eztl a blessing, both of magic and of being marked.” As if to show this, he pulls down a park of his armor by his neck, showing patches of snakelike scales.

    “That mark was the sign that a god was with us, that our existence was divinely commanded. The next morning, as the sun was just peaking over the horizon, he led the last of our people, barely 100 strong, men and women, children and aged, against a camp of over a thousand of the Tathliki. Unprepared for this surprise, they were slaughtered. As we fought, our people’s faith in Merrshaulk grew, and he continued to bless us. Our people were fruitful, for the army needed more men and women. When the king of the Tathliki was finally captured, Eztl presented the king’s flesh, and then his own, to Merrshaulk in thanks. Merrshaulk’s blessing has been upon us ever since.”
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2018-12-06 at 03:15 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xanyo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Listening carefully to Metzli's story, Yrmys finds herself a bit uncomfortable. She recalls some things about this Merrshaulk...

    Thinking for a time, she selects her words carefully. After a silence, she addresses Fenrir.

    "Doth not this place cause thine heart to feel the cold?" she asks softly, "Doth thou not favor warmer climes? Mine favor must belong to some place more open. 'Tis not meet that we stay here longer than we ought, and upon our hosts impose."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7]
    Spoiler: DM; Fenrir IF roll is at least 15(roll failed)
    Show
    That was a bluff check to communicate a hidden message, which is as follows:

    Stress on "place", "heart", and "cold". Suggest that this place is cold-hearted, meaning that there may be evil here.

    The phrase "warmer climes" has the connotation in this context of a place with more good present, and the mention of a place more open connotes a place of candor, honesty, straightforwardness.

    The final sentence suggests that we should leave before we risk enmity with the locals.
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2018-12-06 at 06:52 PM.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

    Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanyo View Post
    Listening carefully to Metzli's story, Yrmys finds herself a bit uncomfortable. She recalls some things about this Merrshaulk...

    Thinking for a time, she selects her words carefully. After a silence, she addresses Fenrir.

    "Doth not this place cause thine heart to feel the cold?" she asks softly, "Doth thou not favor warmer climes? Mine favor must belong to some place more open. 'Tis not meet that we stay here longer than we ought, and upon our hosts impose."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    [roll0]
    Spoiler: DM; Fenrir IF roll is at least 15(roll failed)
    Show
    That was a bluff check to communicate a hidden message, which is as follows:

    Stress on "place", "heart", and "cold". Suggest that this place is cold-hearted, meaning that there may be evil here.

    The phrase "warmer climes" has the connotation in this context of a place with more good present, and the mention of a place more open connotes a place of candor, honesty, straightforwardness.

    The final sentence suggests that we should leave before we risk enmity with the locals.
    "The cold? Oh, today is just rainy. Most days, it is balmy and warm, with the sun shining through the treetops." The air is indeed rather humid here. "Please, stay one night. I promise you, may my heart be ripped from my chest if I am lying, no harm shall come to you within our city. Indeed, I believe that you and we may be able to forge a... partnership."
    Spoiler: Fenrir
    Show
    He is clearly hiding something, but he seems honest in regards to your safety and not meaning you harm. Only the nature of this potential partnership immediately jumps out as cause for concern.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    so Durnehviir, do we stay or go back, they seem honest enough but I am not ready to trust them

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir - The Tiny Brass Dragon Wyrmling

    Fenrir tilts his head to the side at the mention of "partnership". And this Merrshaulk; he knew nothing of their patron. Well, there's only one way to find out.

    "Excuse me, but if I may, what would this partnership entail? I am intrigued by your people. Should this partnership be struck, I would want to know more the people of the Yuan River. Have you learned scholars that could teach me of your history and biology? I must say the biological composition of your race is fascinating. Also, I would hear more of this Merrshaulk. What is his story? His story before his interaction with your people, I mean. What are his tenets? His views on the world at large?"

    Fenrir listens intently to their guide as they walk. Metztli seemed very keen on this "partnership", which was all well and good, for they needed a little help at the moment. But Mother and Father had taught him to be shrewd and wise. No sense jumping into anything without knowing the true value and cost.

    Spoiler: Probing questions
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+10)[28]
    Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[19]
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

    Nosce te ipsum

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    ”Assisting us. I cannot give too much away, save that it requires time and planning on our part, and yours if you should choose to help. This is in case you should turn us down and tell those who ought not know. But, as you seem a cunning and curious one, I’m sure that one above me would be willing to exchange knowledge for your help in a matter that has been a thorn in our side for some time...”
    Spoiler: Fenrir
    Show
    He is much more guarded about the matter specifically, though he again, does not feel actively deceptive, just cautious about what he shares.

    “So, a meeting until satisfaction with one well read scholar and one holy man, in exchange for your assistance in one of our planned endeavors?”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    so Durnehviir, do we stay or go back, they seem honest enough but I am not ready to trust them
    Durnehviir tilts his head to the side considering the question, "I would stay, I have seen no signs of treachery like the Orcs. I have no reason to distrust these people, ...yet."
    I like the globe warm...

    If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

    Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xanyo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Looking between Mitzli, Fenrir, Durnehviir, and Wiandie, Yrmys finds herself frustrated.

    "If thou wouldst excuse us," she begins, "I would take a moment aside that I may exchange verbiage with mine nest-brother, Fenrir."

    Assuming nobody objects, she pulls Fen aside and whispers to him.

    Spoiler: Fen or Listen DC 25
    Show
    "This place I doth not trust. Merrshaulk bears a name I recall from the tutelage of the time within our eggs. His nature is demonic, his title the Abyssal Serpent and The Venomous One. Judge as you will."
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

    Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir - The Tiny Brass Dragon Wyrmling

    Fenrir waves a claw at Metztli. "No no no, my good sir. You misunderstand. We are Dragon." Fen says in the majestic sense of the word. "The information is merely to sate my appetite for knowledge. Depending on what my sisters have to say on the matter and what the nature of this collaboration would be those will determine our collective price for this partnership. Should your superiors please us with the information we seek and other less intangible gifts we may accept your offer. A moment, though, Metztli. My sister wishes to discuss a matter in private."

    Fenrir steps aside with Yrmys and listens to her wisdom.
    Spoiler: Whisper whisper with my Sister (DC 25)
    Show
    "Good to know, Sister mine. Though I would point out that Mother and Father don't always see eye to eye. We dragons are complex beings, capable of many things. Can these people not be similar? I trust in the strength of our Elder Brother Durnehviir. And in the rest of our brood. I trust you to tell me things I may not know and keep me informed. But I don't see many options for us right now. I am wary of them as well. Keep your eyes and ears open. Seek the truth with me. I feel like we can and should proceed. Will you join us?"
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

    Nosce te ipsum

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    ”Ah, then when you are done discussing among yourselves, I can take you to someone higher ranking who can make that deal.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xanyo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir the Clever indeed.
    Spoiler: Whispered to Fen
    Show
    "...very well. I shall endeavor as thou hast requested - presently. Should an outcome more favorable and verily to us be presented, I would that we should seek that it we may embrace. I beseech thee to be wary, and caution exercise, lest ye find thyself paltered."


    Yrmys allows her nest-brother to return to the conversation, although she is troubled a whit.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

    Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    “Merrshaulk is our god! He who adopted us, who taught us the ways of magic. It was under his watchful eye and guidance that we were finally able to fight back against the Tathliki to our south, who had pushed us back to the Yaun River and would have slain the last of us there! To Eztl, he appeared, first in a dream, a majestic serpent of every color with great wings. He told Eztl that now was not the time for his people to die, that the world was a more interesting place with them in it. He then gave Eztl a blessing, both of magic and of being marked.” As if to show this, he pulls down a park of his armor by his neck, showing patches of snakelike scales.

    “That mark was the sign that a god was with us, that our existence was divinely commanded. The next morning, as the sun was just peaking over the horizon, he led the last of our people, barely 100 strong, men and women, children and aged, against a camp of over a thousand of the Tathliki. Unprepared for this surprise, they were slaughtered. As we fought, our people’s faith in Merrshaulk grew, and he continued to bless us. Our people were fruitful, for the army needed more men and women. When the king of the Tathliki was finally captured, Eztl presented the king’s flesh, and then his own, to Merrshaulk in thanks. Merrshaulk’s blessing has been upon us ever since.”
    "Eztl offered Merrshaulk his own flesh? His faith is indeed worthy of respect."

    A false faith in a false god, we must be cautious with these...primitives, they are prone to fanatiscm in false items, however, if they could be turned to Mother, they might make useful fodder.

    To my broodmates (privately):

    "The people of the Yaun River seem to be honorable have treated us with respect, SO FAR. I see no have in treating with them and hearing their offer, it is simple politeness, but I am reluctant to enter any long term partnership with these beings until we have a firmer grasp of the world at large. We are but hours into our eons of existance, and vulnerable to the predations of the world. We should decide together, because as a brood, our unity is our best defense. I suggest we gather as much information as we can from them and find a temporary shared lair where we can begin our journey into the world."

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Well Charazael, while I am wary of the situation, gather what information you can before entering into any agreement, the shorter the better.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir - The Tiny Brass Dragon Wyrmling

    Once his brood mates voice their opinions, Fenrir folds his arms and taps a claw on his chin. "Seems there is a consensus to be wary. Good advice. We are yet young. It also sounds like most of us are not opposed to the idea of hearing what these people of the Yuan River has to say and offer. If you trust me to proceed, I will trust the rest of you to watch our collective tails. We must watch for traps physical and contractual. I will not make any decisions without your agreement. As Sister Charazael said, 'Unity is our best defense.'"

    Fenrir turns back to Metztli and bows. Or as much as a tiny dragon can bow. "Metztli, Blessed of Merrshaulk, we have conferred together, and I and my brother and sisters will hear your leaders' proposal. We will then make a judgment as to our participation. You may now take us to your leaders."

    With that Fenrir makes an "after you" claw gesture to Metztli.

    "I would like to express our gratitude to you, Metztli, for paving our way into your leaders' good graces. Should we end up helping in your cause and should we be treated fairly in our dealings with your people, know that we will also seek a reward for you. You are the architect of this meeting after all. By the way, what are the names of your worthy leaders? I would not want to be uninformed at our meeting."

    Spoiler: I'm Diploming the poop outta him!
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[26]
    Spot possible guards trying to flank us - (1d20+9)[23]
    Listen for any yuan-ti talking of harming us - (1d20+9)[14]
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

    Nosce te ipsum

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Metztli nods as you finish convening. "Our current high priest, Itzcoatl, is one of the organizers of this plan. Please, follow me."

    The Yaun-ti leads you deeper into the city. As was visible from further off, the stone in the inner sections of town seems different from the stone that makes up the outer buildings. While most of what you had seen seems to have been carved from plain, soft stone local to the area (many of the buildings being part of the cave itself), as you near the tall building in the center of town, the workmanship becomes more fine, brick buildings start to line the roads, and more colorful stone becomes common. Polished granite and similar stone seems to be a popular base and brick material, at first appearing just as scattered bricks in a building, until you eventually reach a large building that seems to shine even in the dimly lit cave, every brick being finely polished to make maximal use of the bio-luminescent fungus that grows on the cave ceiling and walls. Another thing is noticeable to you as Metzli motions for you to halt and steps inside the building, alone: Skulls. Around the large, open hole windows in what you imagine must be a religious temple, each brick has a single, bleached white skull, embedded into the stone itself. Ymrys recognizes the source to be some kind of elf, based on the delicacy of the features.

    After about a minute, Metztli steps back out, a look of pride on his face. "Itzcoatl eagerly awaits you." You are led inside, to an equally sparkling interior. Along the walls alternate everburning stones and proper wooden torches, the former burning without regard to the airflow and the latter swaying as though to welcome the new arrivals. The interior has several support columns, and arranged to create concentric circles are three circular rugs, woven to have holes for the columns. The outer one, green and blue, appears to depict continents and oceans in an abstract art. The second it a nearly black purple that is inter-spaced with stars. The central circle is simply black, so dark as to not have any particularly visible depth or texture. In the back of the building, a large creature, entirely serpentine except for two powerful arms at its side, is closing a book with no title and placing it on a desk somewhat scattered with papers, inkwells, and some paperweights. His body is covered in religious tattoos, and he wears little more than a cloth belt, to which are tied some pouches, and around his neck, a metal symbol of a sun with a serpentine eye in the center.

    "Welcome!" the creatures says, lifting his arms high and lowering his head in a bow, level with the heads of Wiandie and Durnehviir, before rising back to his full height. "Children of Bahamut and Tiamat, it is a pleasure and a privilege to have creatures of such noble birth come to our humble city. Please, feel free to sit or lie down on the second circle," he continues, gesturing to the rug adorned with stars. The yaun-ti abomination slithers forward, setting himself in the central, dark ring. "Metztli has told me that you all could be persuaded to help us with a problem." Itzcoatl seems to look at you all for some sign of agreement, before continuing. "I suppose first, what do you know about the region here? Based on your faces, you can't be more than a year out of the egg."
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2018-12-17 at 01:05 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir - The Tiny Brass Dragon Wyrmling

    Fenrir pipes up before his less subtle siblings take the floor. "High Priest Izcoatl, thank you for welcoming us into your grand city. You are correct; we are young, yet Mother and Father have taught us well in the ways of the world. Unfortunately, our knowledge of the immediate region is embarassingly sparse. What can you tell us of your land? And your people? Metztli was kind enough to give us a brief history of how you came to be, but I pride myself as a scholar and would love to hear the full history of the People of the Yuan River. Also, is there an easier way to refer to your people? The People of the Yuan River can be such a mouthful."

    Fenrir makes note of the rugs in his mind, meaning to ask about them later.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[18]
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

    Nosce te ipsum

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    "Merrshaulk's Children will be fine," he says with a slight frown. "Our home lands stretch from the Yuan River, down through the land of what was once the Tathlekian Empire, and to the shores. We're on an island about one hundred miles to the south, in the middle of the southern sea. We came here by way of the Underdark, actually. The sea is shallow, and with our lord's blessings, it is safer to travel there than by ocean. Our city's name in your language means 'Southern Outpost.' We have come to inhabit this area... some decades ago," he says, pausing as though somewhat surprised at the amount of time, "and have tried to make allies of the natives to the island.

    I suppose that leads us to our... quandary, and why a deal is wanted. The locals on the shores have reacted with hostility to us. While a peace has been brokered, our people are skeptical of its longevity. We would like, in exchange for providing comforts, safety, and in general seeing that your early years are productive ones, ask for your allegiance and support when this peace wilts and fighting breaks out. Metztli has said that he told you of our religious history, and as he may or may not have covered, we are not an aggressive people, but if we are intruded upon, we will strike back with poisoned fangs."
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Durnehviir's ears perk up a bit at the comment about not being aggressive, "So those are not the skulls of your enemies in the bricks outside then?"
    I like the globe warm...

    If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

    Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    ”As I said: We do not believe in striking first. We believe in landing the final blow,” Itzcoatl says icily. “They serve as a warning to those that would choose aggression over peace.”
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2018-12-17 at 06:46 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Nodding his approval Durnehviir follows up with, "Much as I was met with violence when I first emerged from the egg."
    I like the globe warm...

    If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

    Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Charazael

    The idea intrigues Charazael, the early years will be the most vulnerable for her and her kin, but all pacts come at a price, and the ones that seem so generous up front seem to cost so much later. They are not telling us everything, and their generousity implies some desperation.

    "The Children of Mershaulk show great thinking and foresight in this proposal, and indeed the idea has merit. Please, tell us more of your....neighbors and details of your peace so we may be more able to assist you.."

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    wendy will follow along
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-19 at 10:42 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    The Yuan-ti nods, seemingly both in approval at your curiosity and irritation at having to give more information without reaching an agreement. ”So, a furred race of humanoids live at the shores of this island, the nearest settlement being about thirty miles from us, known amongst themselves as the Tabaxi. They are not too advanced in their weapons technology, but their mages are skilled in the elemental arts, and their warriors are fierce. When we came out of the Underdark to see what manner of land we had come to settle, several of our scouts came into skirmishes with with them. Some battles we won, some they won, but things remained tense for around fifty years.” The creature gets up and goes to his desk, still talking but also looking for something. “Eventually, one of our own, one of the lesser Yuan-ti, made claims of having met a Tabaxi who claimed both interest and authority in settling this dispute, them having lost kin in a skirmish some years ago. After discussing things for some time, they were permitted to speak to our leaders of a compromise: both sides admit that the skirmishes arose from ignorance and misunderstanding, and borders be agreed upon between the land of the Tabaxi and the land of Merrshaulk’s Children. So long as neither crosses into the land of the other, there should be no need to fight, so went the logic.” Itzcoatl returns, placing before you a map of the immediate area.

    Spoiler: The Map
    Show
    “So as you can see here, our land comprises little more than this mountain range and the immediate lands to them. While this was fine twenty years ago, we did not realize how much our people would grow, and we are quickly finding that expansion is desireable. The long term effects of living underground on our people were also not heavily considered by my predecessors. Adding to this is that because of our limited ability to expand above ground, we are unable to maintain a strong presence at the surface, which has led to some of the Tabaxi encroaching on what little we do own. Their leaders claim that it is just hunters who stray too far toward the mountains, and to their credit, they do not object when we force these intruders back. However, they make no effort to stop them either, and it has become infuriating. Furthermore, because of the skirmishes and ensuing deal, we have had little ability to learn of where we are. We know that it is an island, but not the size, nor shape of it.

    As I said, I do not know the day that war will break out, but with the tensions building and their superior numbers, I wish to find an upper hand. A group of young dragons allied with us would be a blessing.”
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2018-12-19 at 09:41 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir - The Tiny Brass Dragon Wyrmling

    Fenrir looks to each of his siblings in turn o get their approval or refusal. Once he has consensus, he regards Itzcoatl. "High Priest Itzcoatl, my siblings and I have discussed your proposal, and have come to an agreement amongst ourselves. We have decided that we will help you, but we require one last attempt at diplomacy. Our collaboration in your efforts necessitates you sending us as envoys with an honor guard of Merrshaulk's Children to the Tabaxi. We will endeavor to garner more surface land for you and your people through diplomatic means. Failing that we will return here to assist in taking said land by force. All this will be in exchange for the provision of whatever protection, comfort, and assistance we may need in the years to come. This contract between Merrshaulk's Children and the dragons before you will be finite. Termination of the agreement will occur when we, the Children of Bahamut and Tiamat, deem it so. At such a time, we will leave your lands and seek our own destinies in the world. If this agreement is pleasing to you, High Priest Itzcoatl, then let us begin planning the acquisition of land for Merrshaulk's Children."
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

    Nosce te ipsum

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Itzcoatl sits on his coils, thinking through the deal. ”Hm... The only term I wish to adjust is the duration: We will provide and assist you in your living for up to five years after our inevitable conflict with the Tabaxi is concluded though you are free to leave earlier, with potential to renew and renegotiate the deal if both parties should agree. I do not want to bind my people to a deal that they cannot dictate terms of, nor do I know how long after the conflict they will still appreciate your presence. I am sure that you are gracious guests, but you understand that I cannot be as foolish as my forbearer was.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir, a moment please.
    in a hushed voice, if they want only a five year term after diplomacy/conflict I say to adjust our portion of the bargan to just diplomacy, if he wants us to fight for them five years is not enough, I think.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Fenrir - The Tiny Brass Dragon Wyrmling

    Fenrir acknowledges his sister's concerns with a nod of his head. "I think five years after the conclusion of hostilities should be enough time for us to set up a new situation for ourselves, Sister. We just have to have faith that Father and Mother will see to our provision. They brought us to the Children of Merrshaulk, didn't they? I think they and Merrshalk's Children can guide us to the next stage in our development. We must take goodwill when it crosses our path.

    High Priest Itzcoatl, we would be honored to accept your people's hospitality in exchange for a quick and favorable end to this inevitable conflict with the tabaxi."
    Fenrir bows deeply to the yuan-ti high priest. "Let us not waste any time. Gather your most trustworthy warriors and let's see if we can't broker a deal with these tabaxi. If our diplomacy efforts fail, we can always find other ways to skin these cats."
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

    Nosce te ipsum

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hot Soup Air Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orsik Vondal View Post
    Fenrir - The Tiny Brass Dragon Wyrmling

    Fenrir acknowledges his sister's concerns with a nod of his head. "I think five years after the conclusion of hostilities should be enough time for us to set up a new situation for ourselves, Sister. We just have to have faith that Father and Mother will see to our provision. They brought us to the Children of Merrshaulk, didn't they? I think they and Merrshalk's Children can guide us to the next stage in our development. We must take goodwill when it crosses our path.

    High Priest Itzcoatl, we would be honored to accept your people's hospitality in exchange for a quick and favorable end to this inevitable conflict with the tabaxi."
    Fenrir bows deeply to the yuan-ti high priest. "Let us not waste any time. Gather your most trustworthy warriors and let's see if we can't broker a deal with these tabaxi. If our diplomacy efforts fail, we can always find other ways to skin these cats."
    "Excellent. Thank you for your own willingness to aid us. Metztli, please gather some of your caste to escort our new friends." Quickly, the Pureblood runs out of the building. The furthest back among you, with your blindsense, notice him stop by the others and mumble something, before the two of them run off, presumably to find some more warriors and explain the situation to them.

    "Leaving tomorrow morning, you should be able to reach Kawazawa by the late afternoon, if you take the river. If you would prefer land travel, then Moridanishi is closer. Apparently, both are glorified trading posts that had cities grow around them, so there is otherwise no particular reason to pick one over the other. I should note that the forest around the river is particularly thick, so unless you are a nimble flyer, you will probably have to stay on a boat, unless you want to swim... though I don't believe any of you are of varieties that particularly enjoy water.

    The local language there is the Tabaxi tongue, though a decent amount of their sages are familiar with Draconic as well. Metztli knows enough of their language to get through some basic interaction, unless... one of you is of the variety of your kind that is adept at languages?"
    he says, looking at Fenrir with a knowing grin. "I'm sure it would make a positive impression on them."
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •