New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords OOC

I don't. Didn't realize those were required. It's weird that they bury identification in the spell descriptions rather than directly stating it anywhere.
    So I guess I can't figure anything out on it

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

So we've got the wand of shocking grasp, the +1 longsword, silver dagger, and masterwork handaxe. I've also already got the ring of protection on.

I think Justin and I are both just as likely to get good use out of the longsword, Lizuga could as well but isn't really a direct replacement for her lucerne hammer. Perfectly happy letting Lizuga take it if she wants it.

I think I'm most in need of the ring, and probably the best set to use the wand (though I need to pick up the Wand Wielder arcana at level 3 before using it with spell combat). So I will happily let anyone else take the longsword if they want it.
    The handaxe would be good for Justin because it is light so can be used off-hand.
    Dagger I don't see any direct use, but I'll go ahead and carry it in case we need a silver weapon for any reason.

I would like to pick up leather lamellar, I think we've got the gold for it (it is 60gp) but I doubt we can do a masterwork piece, but not totally sure what we have for money right now.
    Adalbert could probably pick up a few special bolts for his crossbow, not sure what else he might need/want.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

As I see it, Justin needs light weapons for Deadly Agility to work. I am perfectly okay with stacking Lebwen to become a living monster. Every class has its peaks, mine is at 5th level when bardic performance becomes a move action and +3 as well as 4th level when i get 2nd level spells and can pick up heroism for you guys. 1-3 isn't as blessed for me, Lizuga looks like a build that starts off really strong and peters out a bit (honestly getting a MW cold iron luzerne hammer is probably sufficient for her) and Justin is a TWFing dex build (that will eat up upcoming light melee weapons so no bad feelings about getting that longsword).

Any enemy you nova down with the sword is a guy less that can injure targets for Lizuga to heal, one less threat to Adalbert's life, any one less that can threaten Justin (and boy did he almost go down a few times too).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Hey

Yes, if its okay I'd appreciate the MW hand axe as that would give me a MW weapon. If it's okay could we sell the "red" ones below as taht would then let me get an upgrade to the other shortsword to a MW one? There are no other magical bits I need and it makes sense for the others to get the Ring and the Longsword +1

Other stuff...
    Potion of Cure Light Wounds (3) 150 gp,
    Scrolls of Cure Light Wounds (2) 50 gp.
    Mw thieves' tools x 2 (one of these)
    Composite Shortbow (Str +1),
    two nonmagical earrings (of Tsuto)
    MW Flute,
    Oil of Purify Food & Drink (1) (25gp), Alchemist’s Fire (3) (60gp), Alkali (2) (30gp),
    Mwk Horsechopper (with Lizuga afaik),
    220 gp from the mayor of Sandpoint
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

The loot is not worth particularly much, so go on ahead. We just need a bit of ammo and cold iron weapons and we should be fine.

Any "acceptable" solution for Adalbert involves an experienced archmage, a magic circle and a summoned deva or fey spirit anyhow.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-05-19 at 03:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah, I'll take some of the CLW items Adalbert was trying to pass off earlier.

Forgot about the earrings, did we check them for anything unusual? Sigils or anything that might make then notably vaulable?

Assuming we've got access to masterwork weapons I'll do what we can to help you get one.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

If we can sell the horsechopper at market value, let's do that. If we can only get a pittance. Lizuga is keeping it as a souvenir.

Lizuga needs a back-up weapon, preferably a halberd, and would like to upgrade from scale to either chain or breastplate.
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

The jeweler offers you 12 gp for the pair. Finely made, but neither the jeveler nor Adalbert see anything specifically noteworthy. Non-magical.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey team, I'm pleased to be here:

Spoiler: Iris of Shelyn
    Show

Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 2, Init 6, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 1, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
    MW Composite Longbow (+2 Str) +6 (+1 BAB, +4 Dex, +1 weapon) (1d8+2, x3)
    Morningstar (two-handed) +3 (+1 BAB, +2 Str) (1d8+3, x2)
    Dagger +3 (+1 BAB, +2 Str) or ranged +5 (+1 BAB, +4 Dex) (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Mithral MW Chain Shirt Armour (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10
    Condition None

Happy to take suggestions on any final tweaks before Iris joins the game. I grabbed some cold iron arrows as it looked like those were the go.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

So selling:
    MW theive's tools 50g
    MW horsechopper 155gp
    composite shortbow 37.5gp
    longsword 7.5gp (my old one)
    MW flute 50gp (may as well, Adalbert doesn't use flutes)
    earrings 12gp
    dogslicer 4gp

total: 316gp

just purchased:
    insecticide 175gp
    net 4gp
    cage 10gp

total 189gp

left 127gp

wants/needs: (CI is 50% more than normal weapon cost, which is what I've based this on)
    MW CI shortsword (Justin) 315gp (may as well combine the CI and MW, no reason to not use CI all the time right?)
    CI bolts (10) (Adalbert) 1.5gp
    CI halberd (Lizuga) 15gp (you wanted a spare halberd and we were looking at cold iron, so assume it would be a good choice)
    CI Morningstar (Lebwen) 12gp

total 343.5 gp

so net -216.5gp

220gp in loot (This was straight gold right? I thought Adalbert used most of the note from the Mayor but not all of it. The gold from the mayor plus the platinum pieces we picked up from Tsuto)
    Silvered dagger would only sell for 11gp, probably not worth selling at this point.

So unless I've missed something we're pretty much even, and don't have the much left for upgrading armor.

I had completely missed that the recruitment had actually happened. I got to play my inquisitor all of one encounter before that game disappeared.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

I would keep the silver weapon (remember it does have a -1 on attack rolls) because as Adalbert can probably tell some evil monsters are allergic to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post

Show

Iris of Shelyn
    F NG Human (Varisian) Inquisitor (Urban Infiltrator), Level 2, Init 6, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 1, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Condition None

Happy to take suggestions on any final tweaks before Iris joins the game. I grabbed some cold iron arrows as it looked like those were the go.
    I am not one to criticize other's builds openly but you asked so:

1) Con of 8 is incredibly dangerous. I once had a Con 12 Aasimar archer Inquisitor and she kind of took the lead to scout and was discovered a few times. Needless to say I got to sit out a few battles for being cut down to 2-5 HP before the battle even started. Without Con 12 I might have been killed outright. I get that you want to play a lithe character but Con 8 is sick and pale, not one you would send out on missions. I'd go 14/17(increase on 4th)/14/10/14/8(slightly abrasive). If not, I'd at least pick the 1 HP/level up until Lv 3 and pick the extra spell from 4th level onward.

2) I took the archetype of Infiltrator and I would recommend it to you too since you don't really go for social skills anyhow. But that is up to you, it is a minor tweak and it changes your fluff somewhat (if you choose not to ignore it).

But it's mainly because I am the skill monkey of the group and focussed on social skills and knowledge checks. I can be stealthy but this is dangerous work we are doing.

3) Minor mistakes: You forgot to take a second language other than Common. Your Intimidate is governed by Str but I don't see a source for it. (Preference: I'd like it for an inquisitor to know which skills the enemy is using so I would invest in Spellcraft. Esp. as an archer you can disrupt summon spells with an arrow and pick a fitting judgment).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I'd at least pick the 1 HP/level up until Lv 3 and pick the extra spell from 4th level onward.
    That is a good idea..with the DM's permission, I will defer the extra spell pickup until 4th.

You forgot to take a second language other than Common.
    I wasn't actually sure how that worked. I see the Player's Guide lists Varisian as a Bonus Language but I figured I needed INT+1 to select that?

Your Intimidate is governed by Str but I don't see a source for it.
    Fixed!

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't actually sure how that worked. I see the Player's Guide lists Varisian as a Bonus Language but I figured I needed INT+1 to select that?
    I was mistaken then. I was thinking about humans in 5. edition D&D. You only speak Common then.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

That is a good idea..with the DM's permission, I will defer the extra spell pickup until 4th.
    Yep. You can mix and match favored class bonuses as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    If the hammer by itself isn't long enough to reach the bottom of the pit then tie the horse chopper onto the end of the hammer with a bit of rope.
    The hammer itself is not enough and didn't you sell the horsechopper already? Anyway, it's not a problem to find a long enough pole even if it means going to town to get it. Assume that in time you can get the quasit onto the net. Anything else?
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-05-21 at 09:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

At first I was thinking we would do the rest of the shopping later, but that wouldn't make sense because we wanted the cold iron for the quasit specifically. Would the hammer and halberd be enough? Halberds are 5ft long.

If not I've got another plan, but will wait for any ideas the rest of the team have before trying anything else.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Iris of Shelyn
    Condition None

Welcome Ghostfoot

- As for getting the quasit out the hole shall we kill the zombie with ranged attacks from above (should be no real challenge) and then someone with a rope jumps down whilst holding their breath. Wedges the quasit in a cage and then gest hauled out. A person can hold their breath for ~ 1 minute so we can hop down, cage the quasit and then get hauled out

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

I was under the impression the quasit knived the zombie to redeath before we got back.

As for the rest, Adalbert climbs down the rope, pushes the quasit into the net, we pull them back up. Should be much faster and safer than trying to put the quasit in the cage first or having him carry the quasit or tie the rope around it. Even together they should be light enough for us to easily pull them up together.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

I was under the impression the quasit knived the zombie to redeath before we got back.

As for the rest, Adalbert climbs down the rope, pushes the quasit into the net, we pull them back up. Should be much faster and safer than trying to put the quasit in the cage first or having him carry the quasit or tie the rope around it. Even together they should be light enough for us to easily pull them up together.
    That sounds like a good solution then

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies if my RP is too commanding right now but I feel Adalbert is nice enough to let out a command or two before reverting to his usual calm friendly and intellectual self.

(Plus, he is damn scared of demons. I never realized how scary these things can be when your character is so bad at fighting :))

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris is in.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

@Sporeeg

Makes sense for the halfling to be commanding when he knows what's he's talking about.
    Always happy to separate ooc from ic.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought it was all very much in character with Adalbert's actions.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm glad we had to explain everything again. I hadn't put a few points together until I had to re-read the note a few times to together what we figured out.

By the time we finished with the quasit we had 1.5gp left. We just got 1000gp.

MWK Breastplate (Lizuga) 350gp
    Lamellar (Leather) (Lebwen) 60gp

Is it worth upgrading to masterwork for my armor as well?
    Not sure anything else that is needed or wanted. Maybe get Lizuga a masterworked hammer?

Selling
    studded leather (Lebwen old) 12.5gp
    scale mail (Lizuga old) 25gp

That leaves us at 629gp.

I believe someone had a pack mule? Was that Silna so it is gone? It looks like Thistletop is only about 5 miles away, but I'm not sure how likely it is we'll be making that trip in a day. If we'll think we'll be out a while we should look at some camping equipment.

We'll collect some more information before we go, I'll try to get another post IC this evening, but wanted to put this out there so we've got an idea of where we sit.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-05-24 at 05:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm glad we had to explain everything again. I hadn't put a few points together until I had to re-read the note a few times to together what we figured out.
    Yes, thank goodness! I'm still reading through the IC from beginning (and also the most recent events) so please forgive me if I miss some key piont.

I believe someone had a pack mule? Was that Silna so it is gone? It looks like Thistletop is only about 5 miles away, but I'm not sure how likely it is we'll be making that trip in a day. If we'll think we'll be out a while we should look at some camping equipment.
    From what I can see Adalbert has a donkey.

I can retrospectively grab a donkey/ mule & camping gear if needed. Iris' travelling pack is actually an annoying encumbrance for her (bumps her up to medium encumbrance) which is maybe okay for overland travel but not so hot for high-action dungeon-delving. So some way of carrying the boring gear would certainly be welcome.

@u-b; I deliberately left Iris' origin vague. Is there one of the big cities nearby that she would be more likely to have come from?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

We should definitely invest in the good old wand o'cure light wounds if someone in town sells this. And shouldn't we go for MW armors and MW CI weapons overall?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, thank goodness! I'm still reading through the IC from beginning (and also the most recent events) so please forgive me if I miss some key piont.
    Yeah, I figured you were one of the reasons we were asked to tell them what we found out, and why I didn't just say "we relay to the mayor what we found/saw"

I can retrospectively grab a donkey/ mule & camping gear if needed. Iris' travelling pack is actually an annoying encumbrance for her (bumps her up to medium encumbrance) which is maybe okay for overland travel but not so hot for high-action dungeon-delving. So some way of carrying the boring gear would certainly be welcome.
    I'm right at that weight bump too, I'm sure I'm into medium now with the second weapon and the net. We'll have to figure out what the situation is, and if having something like a mule with us would even be practical. We haven't had any problems finding basic equipment so buying it in-game shouldn't be a problem.

We should definitely invest in the good old wand o'cure light wounds if someone in town sells this. And shouldn't we go for MW armors and MW CI weapons overall?
    While normally I think that would be a good investment, so far the way Lizuga's healing works it doesn't seem like nearly as high a priority as it would be in a normal game when casting 3 CLW was all a 1st/2nd level character could do. If other's think it is worthwhile I'm good with getting one, that was just my initial impression.

We already got Justin the MW CI weapon. I figured I'm going to be using the +1, so the CI being secondary it wasn't worth it to me. For Lizuga I assumed the halberd would also be secondary and the Lucerne hammer as the weapon of choice so not worth the cost on the CI weapon at this point. Of course getting the Lucerne hammer in CI and MW is an option too, though I'm not sure we're going to need that much CI at this point. CI is a cheap upgrade if we're already purchasing something but probably not worth replacing a MW normal with a MW CI.

But what's possible is a bit different now with the extra gold. My armor could be worth it, but as I've said, I've got most of the good stuff we've found so far so I'll let others have first pick on spending the gold.
    Not sure what else Adalbert, Justin, or Lizuga might need now with enough gold to not just look at the bare necessities.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Shalelu has a wand of CLW, if that's relevant to when you want to buy yours.

@u-b; I deliberately left Iris' origin vague. Is there one of the big cities nearby that she would be more likely to have come from?
    Probably Marnimar, which is really close and probably most suitable. The other large cities farther away are Riddleport and Korvosa.
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-05-25 at 05:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure what else Adalbert, Justin, or Lizuga might need now with enough gold to not just look at the bare necessities.
    Most of my plans involve high level magic which is EXPENSIVE. Downside from playing an oracle for years. You tend to solve things by throwing magic at it.

But honestly 1k gold split by five is still not what I would call "splurging" in Pathfinder terms. I would like to have a Masterwork Chain Shirt if possible. It costs 250 gp though.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, it is far from splurging, but it is enough to pick up some of the mundane gear that is simply out of the reach of starting characters. I thought you made good use out of the first bit in giving us options, and more things like that could be a good use of some of it. I'm thinking things like bear trap, camo net, masterwork backpack (I've got one, others could use one if you're on the edge of medium/light load). The potential of tents or pack animals if we're going to be in the wild of extended periods of time. Maybe your disguise could be upgrade a bit?
    MW armor is of course a good option.

And having thought about your disguise... I wonder if Justin knows Tsuto well enough to pass off as him on initial contact with the goblins... We've got his clothing, and assumedly access to his house for non-stabbed and bloody clothing... we should check Tsuto's house for any more potential information.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-05-25 at 02:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

masterwork backpack (I've got one, others could use one if you're on the edge of medium/light load).
    Cool, I've just upgraded.