The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 957
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Holding a torch in one hand and a piece of charcoal in another, Adalbert leads the way along the tunnel, putting the marks on the walls. The rest of the party, with a lantern in Justin's hand and a stone light in Lebwen's, follow him some distance behind. The tunnel winds for some distance through the bedrock below Sandpoint, generally northeast, then, after about 600 feet, two side tunnels branch off. One to the left can be seen to pass through a broken brick wall. One to the right is just a tunnel, like the one continuing forward.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Errm, is that "5 Adalbert's paces"? That would be, like, 10 feet - well within clear visual range. Or did you mean something else?

    In any case, choose which way you want to go first.

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    On second thought, 5 paces seems too close. Let's say 50. Adalbert corrects himself.

    As he reaches the breach in the wall, Adalbert scribbles an arrow pointing towards the breach and slips outside.

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbet choses the left passage, which leads roughly west for 50 feet before turning roughly north for another 100 feet, though by now Adalbet does not quite trust his sense of direction. As Adalbert notices two openings to the right, a hideous creature steps from the nearest opening. "Errurm?" - it says.


    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    In an initial state of shock, Adalbert stops right in his tracks. I don't want to insult you, but... he pauses, turns on his heels and runs STRAIGHT back to his allies, screaming: GHOOOOOOUL! THE UNDEAD HAVE RISEN!!!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Run for thrice his movement, which is 40 ft. per round atm, meaning I manage 120 ft. in a turn, reaching my comrades.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-02-18 at 12:29 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin watches as the "goblin" comes screaming back to then, howling about the undead.... As Adalbert skids to a halt Justin places the lantern against the wall and draws his second sword. "What did you see my little friend? Lets hope that it bleeds still." Glancing over his shoulders he eyes the clerics hopefully. THey made short work of the previous skeletons underneath the Cathedral, he's sure they can work their faith magic once more.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Split jaws...teeth EVERYWHERE Adalbert gasps. Claws ... pale skin... red eyes. The halfling tries to compose itself. It looks of the undead, but I am unsure. It looks unnatural, and I will not go on without you.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-02-18 at 07:35 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Did it chase you? Let's proceed slowly together. With sword in one hand and light in the other Lebwen takes the lead once everyone is ready.

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    You proceed slowly together with Lebwen taking the lead. The creature stays where Adalbert left it, not even trying to chase. Seeing you coming, it holds one "finger" up, then points it at you, then does some beckoning motions. It also says something, but you don't understand this strange language.

    Spoiler: Linguistics 15
    Show
    You recognize the language as Aklo, an ancient tongue spoken by strange eldritch entities and certain ancient beings, but you don't really speak it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adalbert does not know what this creature is. While it superficially does resemble a ghoul in some respects, the strange jaws and the number of fingers and toes does not match any known humanoid, and ghouls are generally former humanoids.

    Lebwen does not know this creature either, but strongly suspects it to be an aberration.

    Lebwen know dungeoneering: (1d20+8)[24]

    Assume that first of you is 30 ft. from the thingie. Feel free to roll initiative or try to negotiate.

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    This creature is not off this world, it speaks the tongue of the deeps. It wants one of us to come closer. In this moment, Adalbert curses himself for not buying that scroll of Comprehend Languages thinking you cannot reason with the Goblins anyhow. This was so fascinating.

    Fearful but interested, Adalbert comes closer. His buckler in his right, and a burning torch in his left, always interposed in between himself and this odd creature. What do you speak then? You speak Goblin? Or the fine language of giants? How about gnomish, a verbose and intricate language. Surely, you're not speaking halfling. Adalbert tries all of his languages available.

    As it seems only gestures work, the halfling bashes his buckler quickly with his torch. He puts down the torch, and makes a walking gesture on his hand with two fingers, then points at the tunnel beyond the creature. As a sign of good will, he slides a small packet of hearty food across the dungeon floor. It contains sweetened dried fruit, aged sausage, hard sharp cheese, honey cakes, and a mixture of roasted grains, nuts, and molasses. He gestures towards his mouth, then rubs his tummy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's hope this eldritch horror like halfling cookery!

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The creature does not seem to understand any of Adalbert's languages, but looks very carefully at his pantomime, including the assortment of foods. It then points at the party standing 30 feet behind Adalbert, after which it points to it's left where Adalbert can see a small cave dead end. The creature then points at Adalbert and turns to walk north along the tunnel, beckoning Adalbert to follow.

    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    My friends wait here and I should follow? Not a wise choice by me. Adalbert translates but ultimatively follows. Wait for me here. I want to see what this creature shows us.

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Be cautious Adalbert, I don't think most aberrations are friendly. Don't get out of sight of the rest of us. With that said Lebwen follows behind but moves up a bit closer, maybe 15 feet behind them.

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lizuga looks to Justin with a question in her eyes, and follows his lead.
    Semper ludens.

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert turns back. I know it is a dumb idea. But we should keep an open mind at all times. And besides, I am fast if they try to pin me down. The halfling smiles but firmly points his friends to wait.

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    After being pointed back a few times Lebwen stays back but says "Don't get out of sight" then stops at the entrance to the small cave chamber. But keeps a close eye on Adalbert and the creature as they farther in. If they get more than 40ft or so away or go around a corner I'll move up to follow.

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert follows the creature along the tunnel. The tunnel soon seems to reach a dead end, but what is WAY more interesting is an opening to the right, which seems to lead into some well-build catacombs, the first room of which contains a red marble statue of a strikingly beautiful but, at the same time, monstrously enraged human woman, her stony expression twisted in fury. The woman wears flowing robes, and her long hair is held back from he face by an intricate headdress of hooks and blades. In her left hand she carries a large book, the face of which is inscribed with a seven-pointed star. Her right hand holds a glittering metal-and-ivory ranseur, which is itself a separate piece of art. There are a door and two corridors leading out of the room.

    The creature heads into the room, opens the door to the north and shouts something there. It gets shouted back in the same language. The dialogue continues for some time, after which the creature leaves the door to the north open, but heads to the southern corridor leading out of the room, and beckons Adalbert to follow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Know (history) 25 to recognize the statue.

    Last edited by u-b; 2019-02-24 at 02:31 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert touches the beautiful monstrosity of a statue and whispers: Tell me your secrets. I must know who you are.

    He marks an arrow pointing towards what Adalbert would expect to be a monster settlement and continues north.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 as per Lore Master ability for 27 in Knowledge History.

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    As the creature goes into the room and out of view Lebwen works his way up towards the entrance to the catacombs.

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lizuga follows about 40' behind Lebwen, gesturing for the others to join her.
    Semper ludens.

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert recognizes the statue as depicting runelord Alaznist. She was the last Thassilonian runelord of wrath who ruled for many years over her realm of Bakrakhan. He then enters the room to the north (the opposite direction of where he is beckoned). The large chamber was obviously once a prison, as testified by the twenty cells that line the room's perimeter. A rickety wooden platform overlooks the room, with two flights of stairs descen ding to the prison floor ten feet below. A five-foot-wide wooden walkway runs from the northern edge of the platform to a passageway to the east. Skeletons lie in most of the cells. Two more creatures similar to the first appear to be in the room, one taking the stairs up from the floor below, and the other looking like about to follow.

    Lebwen loses sight of Adalbert, but can see the creature that, in turn, can very well see him. He can also see a charcoal mark on the floor - an arrow pointing north.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-02-25 at 09:21 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Fascinating. If these are connected to the runelord of wrath, why are they not attacking everything and everyone at sight? Maybe they are just cave dwellers who stumbled upon these ruins. That would support their current demeanor. Adalbert theorizes.

    He turns south to follow the creature and almost bumps into Lebwen. Get the others, but keep your distance he whispers. The area is dedicated to an old Thassillonian queen, the runelord of wrath. If she would hold any sway over these creatures, they would have likely already attacked. Follow at a distance. He then turns towards his "tour guide".

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin catches sight of the strange beast and recoils in horror at the monstrosity. Then despite an urge and an instinct to run it through he follows the dwarf and the halfing up the corridor. At Adalbert;s words of Runelords he shrugs and turns to the rest of the party nearby. "What's a runelord?" but he stays close to the others, sweat on on his brow as he hears more of the scurrying that suggests more of the beasts are around.

    "Adalbert, where have you gone?" he calls out as the halfling vanishes from view. "Dno't go wandering off. We don't know how many of them there are!"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The "tour guide" looks at Adalbert, then at Lebwen, then at two of the creatures entering from the room to the north. Then the three of them talk about something in their language, pointing at Lebwen and somewhere south, then seem to reach a consensus. One of the newcoming creatures moves south past Adalbert and "tour guide" and, taking the first turn east it encounters, moves out of sight. The "tour guide" points at Adalbert, at Lebwen, at itself, then at the floor right before it. It, and the other creature, block two of the four exits out of the room.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Waiting for things to happen?

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lebwen waves at the rest of the group to come up the tunnel, then steps up to be beside Adalbert, saying quietly to him "Any idea what is going on? This seems weird. They're not seeming overly conniving"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does runelords mean anything to anyone besides Adalbert?

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    By the silver hood of Ng! Adalbert exclaims before promptly shutting himself up with his hands. They think I am a goblin from the raiding party. I assume they think you are Tsuto. They are in league with another. This does not bode well. Let's follow them further in.

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The creatures does not seem like they are leading anyone anywhere. Or, for that matter, letting anyone anywhere past them. Some time passes, then you can hear and then see the third creature returning. It moves past Adalbert, but stops adjacent to him, then raises one arm. The arm seems to shake up and down a bit, but then finally settles at the direction and level of about Adalbert's chest. The piece of clothing covering Adalbert's face seem to be pulled down.

    Spoiler: Adalbert
    Show
    Adalbert feels some movement of the air from above the hand directed at his chest, then he feels the piece of clothing covering his face being pulled down, then something invisible taking him by the cheek. Then a voice manifests in his head... or, more precisely, not-voice, because the meaning seem to manifest without being put through the words. "So, HALFLING-DRESSED-AS-GOBLIN, who ARE you and why have you COME?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Does runelords mean anything to anyone besides Adalbert?
    DC 15 to have encountered this term from ancient thassilonian history. If you beat DC 20, you know these were rulers and casters, powerful in both.


  27. - Top - End - #297
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Hmprfrpprgrpf! Adalbert mumbles. He seems to be quite agitated. Something's in ma mind! he shouts. You can hear a bit of rural charme coming out as the halfling panicks.

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "What's wrong!?" Lebwen says to Adalbert, trying to figure out what has happened. Looking over at the creatures to see how they're acting. Then walking farther into the room and acting like he's studying the statue, but more watching their reaction to his movements.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Move to H12, and assuming they don't react aggressively, continue to I-11.

    Knowledge (history)
    (1d20+3)[4]

    Spellcraft (to see if I can pick up anything from what the creature just did)
    (1d20+8)[9]

    edit: well maybe those 1s now will mean I've got some good rolls coming...
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-02-26 at 06:08 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The creatures seem to be quite neutral about Lebwen's movement and his interest in the statue. This continues for some time, then one of the creatures in I13 seem to visibly get ready and starts to command the other creatures, which, in turn, also visibly get ready. Then you hear (and Adalbert also feels) wing flapping with no visible source coming from I13 and at Adalbert face's height and then up, accompanied by a short word in high-pitched tongue. "Niha!"

    Spoiler: Adalbert
    Show
    The non-voice is gone.
    Spoiler: Adalbert and Lebwen
    Show
    The wing-flapping ended in the square with the statue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have about eight rounds worth of actions before things start, but the creatures are neutral most of this time, so I assume you do nothing of real consequence, but feel free to retcon (this particularly applies to Justin, Lizuga and Silna).

    Initiative:
    Adalbert: (1d20+4)[17]
    Justin: (1d20+4)[7]
    Lebwen: (1d20+0)[16]
    Lizuga: (1d20+1)[18]
    Silna: (1d20+2)[20]
    Creatures: (1d20+5)[16]


    In this specific case NOBOBY IS FLATFOOTED.

    => Silna, Lizuga and Adalbert (if you want to start the hostilities, do it now)
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-02-27 at 11:39 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "For Sandpoint!". Lizuga roars as she lunges forward, trying to catch on of the abominations with the spike on top of her hammer, and another one with the hook on the backswing.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Swift action to use Encouraging Roar. Standard Action Piercing Strike vs I13 and H14: Lucerne Hammer (1d20+7)[12], damage (1d12+6)[10]+(1d6)[5]; they both have +4 AC from cover. If I fell both of them, move to I13, otherwise remain in place.

    Spoiler: Defense, AoO etc.
    Show
    Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity #1 (reach)
    Show
    Lucerne Hammer (1d20+7)[16], damage (1d12+6)[8]+(1d6)[3] - or damage shield bash, (1d4+6)[8]+(1d6)[4].
    Spoiler: AoO #2 (Combat Reflexes)
    Show
    Lucerne Hammer (1d20+5)[23], damage (1d12+4)[13]+(1d6)[2] - or damage shield bash, (1d4+4)[8]+(1d6)[4]
    Spoiler: AC and other defenses
    Show
    AC 18 (+1 Dex, +2 Shield, +5 armor). Counter: Oaken Shield (+4 AC)
    Spoiler: Fort save
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7]
    Spoiler: Ref save
    Show
    (1d20+1)[19]
    Spoiler: Will save
    Show
    (1d20+6)[23]
    Spoiler: Resource tracking
    Show
    Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Encouraging Roar, Staunching Strike, Piercing Strike.
    Triage: 3/3
    Hit Points: 17/17
    Sheet link
    Semper ludens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •