The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 963
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert Hornwood, of the Academy of Applied Magic, understudy to master wizard Kalizandrex Poppo

    I'm afraid I am of not much use carrying the guard without hurting him. As much as I strain my capabilities, I don't think I can recreate the healing ritual of the Mwangi shamans again today. But at least let me clean your clothes to avoid further infections. The small professor waves his hand and Lizuga's torn clothes are as good as new. Except you know, torn. If we find a cave where earth spirits are strong I could magically mend it but you know. Can't exactly summon one right now.

    I've spent some time tracking down their bands in the past.
    Say, do you assume this was the last we saw of these creatures? Usually you do not attack a city this well defended without a cause. And maybe we can track them down to talk to them, no? Adalbert smiles a sincere smile. You even talked to them. Can you teach me their language? His belly grumbles, but probably from indigestion. Adalbert grabs his tummy. We could talk over this with a pint or two, shouldn't we?

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    As the dwarf cuts down the goblins Justin looks around, still breathing hard and in pain. But the pain rapidly fades as the halfling heals him. Accepting Lebwen's hand he nods, wincing as he retrieves his blades."My thanks to you all for helping to defend the town." He looks at Adalbert and offers a hand, "My thanks to you especially Master Adalbert, without your aid I may be well dancing with Desna herself!" Touching the barely healed wounds he nods at the comment about surviving, "Aye, surviving is the most important bit. Are there any more of the vile beasts to chase out? They've never been as bold as that."

    Greeting Lizuga and Silna he grins, "Good to have such doughty dwarves visiting eh? You're skill against the green skin is no exaggeration." As he hears that the goblins have been more less contained he points back to the town. "Please, all of you, my Aunt runs the Rusty Dragon. Please, saving her nephew will be at worth at least a flagon of ale. Come, drink, and tell me of you yourselves. I'd like to know the people who saved me."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    "You're right, Adalbert. It does seem odd for them to attack such a well-defended city with such a small force. I reckon there may be more gathering, but perhaps these reckless few just couldn't resist disrupting the festival." She presses her lips, considering the implications of the attack.

    To Justin, she replies, "Aye, can't refuse an offer of ale! I met this aunt of yours yester-eve; hers was a fine brew."

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert Hornwood, of the Academy of Applied Magic, understudy to master wizard Kalizandrex Poppo

    I don't know the actual creatures but I know about the goblin hero gods. They're usually demonic dogs called barghests and they want results and do not care for stragglers. And with results I mean death and carnage. I mean... he stubs a goblin with his foot. That they provided, though not as they wished I assume. The halfling has an almost evil grin on his face.

    Please, all of you, my Aunt runs the Rusty Dragon. Please, saving her nephew will be at worth at least a flagon of ale.
    I understand that, Justin. In the meantime, you can drop the master in front of Adalbert. Formality would require my surname of Hornwood, so Master Adalbert is wrong in two ways. Come join us as we feast with Sir Foxglove. I don't feel he is in the mood for overt formalities tonight, but please just don't embarass yourself. Adalbert uses his magic to clean the others' clothes of grime, guts and blood. He then proceeds to take the gold, component pouch, the masterwork horsechopper and responds: Oh, and uhm, can you organize someone to bring this loot to a safe place? I would hate to be so greedy but I am kind of broke right now, and I need a bit of the money it brings. If we can sell it to a merchant friends of mine that brings it to Cheliax, the halfling resistance could very much use a few of those bows and armors. So if you want a good cause for these things, that would be it. He wields the horsechopper. This peculiar weapon however is well-made. I would like to study it before we give it away.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    -Lebwen-

    "We had goblins in the around the islands but I can't say I had any dealings with them."
    Lebwen adds to the conversation.

    Then in response to Justin's offer says "That sounds like a good way to end the night, but I think we should take up Aldern on the offer of dinner first."

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    -Lebwen-

    "We had goblins in the around the islands but I can't say I had any dealings with them."
    Lebwen adds to the conversation.
    Islands? Pardon me, I don't want to be racist to assume your heritage. Where are you from? Rahadoum? Thuvia? I don't recognize your accent.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    As Lebwen tries to organize transporting the guard to the temple, Lizuga arrives. After reporting to the noble, she bends down to heal the wounded guard, who, shortly thereafter, regains consciousness. He stands up, carefully patting himself here and there, seeing his wounds closing. "Uh, thank you! Name's Eugeni. Are you done with the..." he looks around, counting the bodies "...yep, that should be all of them. I thought they would be wreaking havoc."

    Lizuga proceeds with the second part of her report and the noble replies. "I think there is a misunderstanding here. Aldern Foxglove, of the Foxglove family. Not of this town's ruling families. You should report to sheriff Hemlock or mayor Deverin herself. They probably have their hands full at the moment, so maybe some time tomorrow?"

    After Adalbert handwaves clean everyone's clothes, Aldern Foxglove remarks "Ah, very handy! I'm sure Garridan will appreciate us not smearing blood all over his place. My men can handle the loot - either store it or sell it, no problem, just say it and it will be done. Come on in and leave it here."

    Inside Aldern orders one of his men to handle the loot according to preferences expressed, then orders a 7-person banquet to be served, again, according to the preferences.

    "I came here from Magnimar, for the festival, mostly, but also for some minor business interests and hunting. Besides, do you like hunting? My men have tracked a boar in Tickwood. We can ride there and get it, any time you are free in next couple of days." He goes on about hunting boars. In short, the procedure seems to be as follows: some of the hunters grab longspears and wait in some tight spot and some other hunters and/or assistants chase the boar into this ambush, which it usually charges, because it's such a boarish thing to do. The hunt is supposed to be somewhat dangerous, but not overly so, and, if you belive Aldern, rather fun. Meanwhile, if that aunt of his (nods at Justin) does not provide you with lodging, feel free to come here and claim some rooms, Aldern paying.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Lizuga and Eugeni are implicitly invited. Anybody not coming will be invited explicitly. Feel free to ask talk and/or finish the dinner and leave for Rusty Dragon.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Boar hunting? With spears? I'm so there, ..Sir? And boar feasting afterwards? Ha! Why not tomorrow!". Lizuga punctuates her words by stabbing at the air with her knife, still impaling a bite of meat. She gulps another mouthful of wine. "And I'm so happy for the room, I think the inns are all full with the festival and such".
    Semper ludens.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    -Lebwen-

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Islands? Pardon me, I don't want to be racist to assume your heritage. Where are you from? Rahadoum? Thuvia? I don't recognize your accent.
    Lebwen replies "I'm from Quent on Motaku Isle, one of the many islands making up the Shackles. You said you were from Cheliax?"
    Lebwen also helps Adalbert collect the gear from the goblins and get it to Adalbert's friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    "I came here from Magnimar, for the festival, mostly, but also for some minor business interests and hunting. Besides, do you like hunting? My men have tracked a boar in Tickwood. We can ride there and get it, any time you are free in next couple of days." He goes on about hunting boars. In short, the procedure seems to be as follows: some of the hunters grab longspears and wait in some tight spot and some other hunters and/or assistants chase the boar into this ambush, which it usually charges, because it's such a boarish thing to do.
    "A boar hunt sounds like a lot of fun. I don't have a spear but I can't turn that down, I'll see if I can pick one up before we go" Lebwen says with some excitement. "I will also take you up on that generous offer of a room, a real bed will be nice after the weeks in hammocks on the sea. If I can sleep without the sway of the ocean that is."

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert Hornwood, of the Academy of Applied Magic, understudy to master wizard Kalizandrex Poppo

    To Aldern:

    Thank you kindly for the food and the invitation to hunt with you, but I don't see myself being able to pierce a boar's skull. If that creature isn't a fey beast and can cast magic, I am afraid my master will admonish me wasting more time on my treatise on long lasting abjurations. You see, I came to this town to study the spell that is about to be cast on the chapel.

    To Lizuga:

    Ah, are you some kind of cleric? I can perform a few healing spells my own though I mostly copied the Mwangi shamans more primal spells.

    To Lebwen:

    That is QUITE far away. And I have seen. Adalbert puts on a pair of reading glasses which double as a focus for his detect magic spell. you are capable of casting magic yourself. My particular interest lies in abjuration and divination. Can you tell me about your learned techniques? Adalbert has his notepad in his left and a pencil in his right hand.

    To Silna:

    We should probably convene with the local authorities tomorrow to track those goblins down. They almost burned down the city.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    Silna speaks up. "A boar hunt sounds like a merry adventure, but Adalbert here has a good point. If you're in the mood for a hunt, we should think about tracking down where these goblins came from. There's plenty sport in that, and we might well save some more lives."

    "Now, tell me.," she continues, with a grin. "Just how many pints are you happy to pay for?" With that, she laughs heartily, and eagerly awaits the reply.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lizuga Manescu

    Lizuga slaps Silna lightly on the arm at her bold question and offers her a look of reproach; when it becomes clear that the dwarf isn't backing down, she instead turns into a huge grin and turns to eye Aldren attentively.
    Semper ludens.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    -Lebwen-

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    That is QUITE far away. And I have seen. Adalbert puts on a pair of reading glasses which double as a focus for his detect magic spell. you are capable of casting magic yourself. My particular interest lies in abjuration and divination. Can you tell me about your learned techniques? Adalbert has his notepad in his left and a pencil in his right hand.
    "I'm still quite new in the arcane arts. Most of what I know I managed to learn by trading minor jobs to travelers that came through town. So I've mostly learned what they were willing to teach me rather than studying in any particular direction. Although the woman that taught me the most had learned the tricks to casting in armor and directing spells through her sword, so I would like to focus on spells that will help me do that. As much as I enjoy a good spell, it just lacks the personal feel of going toe-to-toe with your enemy."

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel View Post
    Silna speaks up. "A boar hunt sounds like a merry adventure, but Adalbert here has a good point. If you're in the mood for a hunt, we should think about tracking down where these goblins came from. There's plenty sport in that, and we might well save some more lives."
    Lebwen adds "The boar sounds more interesting, that's something I haven't done before. But as long as there's a fight I'm up for it." After thinking for a moment he adds "I don't know this area but it would reason that if they don't already know where the goblins are coming from then they're probably hiding somewhere like a forest too. We might well be able to pick up the tracks to both in the same area."

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Aldern shakes his head. "Nah, goblins are not my kind of game. Besides I shudder just imagining how a goblin would taste. As far as I can tell, there is no goblin tribes in Tickwood, and it is small wood. I guess hunting for goblins will require a separate enterprise. There are some in the swamp next to the road to Magnimar, but I'm not sure if they were those attacking or if that should matter at all."

    "How many pints, huh?" Aldern smiles. "Maybe a couple dozens. Certainly no more than your weight, just to set a limit."

    Spoiler
    Show
    The accomodations made available to the party in White Deer: 2 beds in a 4-bed room with two other beds occupied by Aldern's men; 2 beds in a 4-bed room with two other beads guaranteed vacant. This is assuming Justin goes home and everyone else stays at White Deer.

    Horses and spears for the hunt will be provided as necessary (horses rented from Goblin Squash Stables, longspears probably just bought).

    Skipping to the morning?

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    -Lebwen-

    Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Aldern shakes his head. "Nah, goblins are not my kind of game. Besides I shudder just imagining how a goblin would taste. As far as I can tell, there is no goblin tribes in Tickwood, and it is small wood. I guess hunting for goblins will require a separate enterprise. There are some in the swamp next to the road to Magnimar, but I'm not sure if they were those attacking or if that should matter at all."
    Lebwen replies "I'll defer to your judgment on the area. Would the swamp be close enough for any goblins there to come to here for any sort of attack?"

    After an answer he continues with:
    "We've got a lead on the boar, there may not be anything more to the goblin attack, lets see what the locals know. Either way, it sounds like a discussion for more sober times. Let us drink tonight and see what information the morning brings."

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "It would be about two miles to the south, so certainly close enough." Aldern pauses for a moment, then continues "On the other hand, I don't see why they would come here, to the eastern wall, instead of attacking through the bridges. So maybe it was some other tribe."

    You spent most of the rest of the evening carousing with Aldern, who seems to be a nice enough man, certainly one with manners.

    In the morning, those of you intending to hunt boar get on the horses brought by Aldern's men and ride east out of town. It is a short ride of about half a hour along the coast, after which the road goes into the woods, one of which, Aldern explains, is Shank's Wood, and another is Tickwood. Aldern's men lead to the area where the boar is supposed to be found, point at the place where two or three persons with spears should stand ready to get the boar while the others would chase it in their direction.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone still hurt heals one hit point. Anyone not going hunting will be in town to observe a less ceremonious ceremony of consecration of the new cathedral or otherwise act freely until the noon. Anyone standing (presumably, with spears), nominate yourselves, describe your arrangement, and roll for readied/AoO attacks. Anyone chasing (presumably mounted), also nominate yourselves, and make up to three rolls of Survival.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    -Lebwen-

    Lebwen heads out with Aldern to hunt for the boar. Unless Aldern wants to take the lead, Lebwen will take the center position in the area the boar is going to be lead into. He leaves his backpack with the horse he road in with but keeps his longsword on him. When it sounds like the boar is very close he braces the spear in anticipation.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    If I have a choice I will have picked up a longspear rather than a regular spear, in which case I'll stay a step behind the others so it will hit my reach range the same time as anyone else there.

    attack/AOO:
    (1d20+3)[7]
    damage:
    (1d8+3)[11] (double if brace vs charge)

    HPs 10/13 (was 9 before the rest)
    spell prep for the day:
    0- daze, light, acid splash
    1- enlarge person, shocking grasp

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    After spending the evening heralding Aldern with stories of Cheliax and their city-state's resistance against the naval blockade of Chelish ships, the halfling returns to the inn, only to be greeted by Justin's aunt trying to push a few more ales for her nephew's savior. In order not to show his gratitude he will share a few with the guests but when it get's too late, he will excuse himself to his room. There the halfling will fall into a deep and dreamless sleep.

    Adalbert will watch the consecration of the temple. The halfling will take notes furiously and will interview the head priest afterwards. He is mostly curious if the spell or spells were cast via circle magic or if they emanated from a single caster. He also wants to know if the spell was divine or arcane in nature, and he tries to inquire a bit about the inconvenience and why people do not talk about this, and why it is taboo.

    He would further inquire about the Old Light and why it wasn't also protected against fire as it has key strategic value. He will show due respect but try to gather information. If he pushes too far, his response will be something along the lines if how he knows it is painful to bring up past mistakes but historians need to document them to allow future generations to learn from them and not repeat the same mistakes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Know (Religion): (1d20+7)[27]
    Know (Arcana): (1d20+7)[19]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[27]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[21]

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Ha!, I'm going to be on the sharp end of this hunt!", Lizuga shouts, and takes up position with the spearmen.

    Spoiler: attack!
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[18], damage (1d12+4)[9]+(1d6)[2], or braced vs. charge (2d12+8)[24]+(1d6)[5]
    Semper ludens.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    Silna enjoys the last of her ale before taking advantage of the proffered accommodations for the night. The next morning, she joins the group going for a hunt. Though she doesn't often go for riding a mount, she feels her skills in tracking and her knowledge of the natural world will be a better fit joining the chase.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Survival1 - (1d20+6)[13] (note: this includes her +1 from Track)
    Survival2 - (1d20+6)[13]
    Survival3 - (1d20+6)[21]
    Last edited by Vegan Squirrel; 2018-12-14 at 11:21 AM. Reason: edited to add color/link

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin enjoys the night of carousing and casual drinking, happy to be making new friends and curious to meet not one but two dwarven warrior woman. They were the first female dwarves he had encountered and were not like the tales that people had said of not being able to the difference between them and the male dwarves. He thanks his aunt for the hospitality and in the morning heads down to the stables to meet thsi Lord Foxglove and join in the hunting. Still sore and scarred from the battle with the goblins he merely rides beside Silna, swords sheathed as he watches her tracking the boars.

    "Your skills are impressive Silna. Have you met Shalelu, she is our resident elven gobllin hunter. ANd a fine job she does as well." Wincing as the riding tears at his scars he looks around the woods, looknig for goblins than any boars.

    Spoiler: Skills
    Show


    Survival (1d20+4)[16] (1d20+4)[6] (1d20+4)[9] as needed
    Perception (1d20+4)[21] (1d20+4)[9] (1d20+4)[14] as needed



    Chatting to the others he'll ask all of his new friends how they came to be in Sandpoint, "Was it for the festival or other reasons that have you brought you to our sleepy town?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Sandpoint

    The consecration takes place shortly before noon. The priest makes a speech, mentioning the temple of Desna that formerly was in the place of the new cathedral and was destroyed in the fire along with guarter of the town 5 years ago, then thanks the four merchant families of the town and everyone else who helped to fund the cathedral and everyone who helped to actually build the cathedral, proclaims that the cathedral is open to members of various faiths, then, finally, enters the cathedral and there casts a spell. And that's it. The new cathedral is officailly consecrated. People are welcome in to pray and/or make donations. The doors leading from the cathedral to the cemetery are closed and, if anyone questions, it is explained that the cemetery is currently off-limits.

    The priest is today quite popular and busy handling various peoples requests, but when interviewed, explains that the spell marks the limit of his abilities, so he does what he can. When questioned about Old Light, the priest that the Old Light is old and was in it's current state since, like, forever. At least long before the town of Sandpoint was built (which was, honestly, not that long ago, but at that time the Old Light was already old and defunct). Then the priest says that there is one person in town, who dedicated his life to studying the Old Light and other old stuff, local sage Brodert Quink, and that anyone interested in the topic should direct questions to him. His house is located just next to Old Light, on Tower Street.

    Tickwood

    Silna and Justin, assisted by Aldern's two men, quickly find the boar and chase it straight into the ambush. Aldern stands ten feet behind the ambush, seemingly not wanting to steal all the fun from his new friends. The boar, without stopping, either charges or just tries to run past the ambush when it is intercepted by Lizuga's lucerne hammer for 29 damage. Mortally wounded, the boar stops there for a moment, but then turns to fight, it's tusks finding the mark in Lizuga's side for 11 damage. Human and animal blood pulses filling the area.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Boar: (1d20+4)[23] for (1d8+4)[11] vs Lizuga
    Boar bleeds.

    Justin and Silna are mounted and 150 feet from the scene. Lizuga roll to stabilize.

    @Justin: there are two warrior women, but only one of them is dwarf. Also, Shalelu is hardly a "resident", mostly "wanderer". She visits Sandpoint several times a year.

    => Party

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    -Lebwen-

    Lebwen missed his shot when the boar came charging in. After it gores Lizuga and doesn't seem to be going down after the vicious hit it took, he stabs at it again, trying to draw it's attention or finish it off.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    attack:
    (1d20+3)[9]
    damage:
    (1d8+3)[5]

    HPs 10/13
    spell prep for the day:
    0- daze, light, acid splash
    1- enlarge person, shocking grasp

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lizuga Manescu

    Lizuga is bowled over by the boar. She clutches her bleeding midriff and grunts out. "Well played, piggy. Well played", straining (and failing) to get herself into a seated position.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Roll to stabilize (1d20+1)[6] vs. DC 11. I should have gotten an AoO as well as the readied attack against the boar, but...it's a weird and counter-fictional rules corner, so i'm not gonna insist on it.
    Spoiler: Defense, AoO etc.
    Show
    Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity #1 (reach)
    Show
    Lucerne Hammer [roll3], damage [roll4]+[roll5].
    Spoiler: AoO #2 (Combat Reflexes)
    Show
    Lucerne Hammer [roll6], damage [roll7]+[roll8]
    Spoiler: AC and other defenses
    Show
    AC 18 (+1 Dex, +2 Shield, +5 armor). Counter: Oaken shield, +4 to AC (additional shield bonus)
    Spoiler: Fort save
    Show
    [roll9]
    Spoiler: Ref save
    Show
    [roll10]
    Spoiler: Will save
    Show
    [roll11]
    Spoiler: Resource tracking
    Show
    Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Encouraging Roar, Staunching Strike.
    Triage: 3/3
    Hit Points: -2/10
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2018-12-16 at 06:30 AM.
    Semper ludens.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Then I shall visit sage Brodert. Puzzled by the cleric's choice of magic, Adalbert waddles off, expecting a much grander hallowing of the place, along with an abjuration against fire spells. Why someone would spend a gift of the gods for such a symbolic act was beyond Adalbert who was much more pragmatic in nature.

    As he closes in to Brodert's house, the halfling thinks off a good gift for the sage to compensate for his time. He ultimatively decides that sharing his own knowledge would be the best gift for a fellow scholar, deciding that way not only because he lacks the money for any more impressive and worthwhile gift. But as he passes a food cart at the market, he decides to at least bring a bottle of wine and a small pie in hopes to elongate the talk somewhat.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    Before they catch up to the boar, Silna responds to Justin. "Thank you. I haven't met this Shalelu, but anyone who makes a name hunting goblins is fine by me."

    "I came to Sandpoint as a traveling guide for a priest. He came for the festival. Hmmm, looks like the boar might be up this way..."

    They continue, and eventually lead the boar into the ambush. As the combat begins, Silna does her best to ride her mount up closer, preparing to dismount.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not sure on the speed of whatever horses were available, and I'm also not sure whether they are trained for this or frightened by combat, or whether a Ride check is required. Either way, Silna will try to use the horse's speed to get closer to the action, either as a double move or as just a single move, depending on what I'm not sure of and maybe this roll.
    Ride - (1d20+1)[19] to control her mount.
    If possible, she will also draw her throwing axe.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    The young man blushes as they talk about the elf before the squealing ogvthe boar distracts them. "Boar, it's a beast!" he mutters spurring the horse forwards and drawing one of his swords in hand!

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show


    Ride (1d20+8)[23]
    Draw sword
    Gallop horse (up to 200ft) to close with boar to stop it goring the downed Lizuga

    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Sandpoint

    Adalbert comes to the sage's house and finds that Brodert is in. The sage welcomes the visitor and, when inquired about the Old Light, enthusiastically explains that it was not a lighthouse as most of the locals believe. In fact, it is a ruin of an ancient Thassilonian war machine capable of spewing fire to a range of more than a mile. It was built more than 10000 years ago by Thassilonian empire of Bakrakhan and prbably was destroyed when that empire fell or some time after. Unfortunately, the information about the events happening so long ago is scarce at best.

    Adalbert is welcome to share his knowledge and/or inquire about other related or unrelated topics.

    Tickwood

    Lebwen stabs at the boar again, again missing. Silna and Justin ride closer to the action, Silna drawing a throwing axe and stopping short of wading into melee, and Justin, with a sword drawn, getting straight in. As the boar turns around to face the horse and Justin, Aldern closes in from the other side, drawing a rapier, and stabs the boar for 12 damage, ending its life on the spot.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The horses are of light variety, but it is not perfectly clear whether they have been combat-trained. They are encumbered by the riders, so have normal move of 35 feet, but can run up to 5x as much, so up to 175 feet. They probably have been to some hunting trips, so you don't have to roll unless you try to ride into melee or otherwise endanger the horse. Justin just tried it and is quite aware that his horse is not combat-trained. Nevertheless, he retains the control.

    Aldern: (1d20+9)[18] for (3d6+3)[12] vs boar

    Lizuga roll to stabilize. Everybody else are welcome to try Healing 15. (repeat as necessary)

    Feel free to pack up and leave for Sandpoint.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Fascinating... Adalbert mutters when Brodert finishes his lecture. Do you think the past fire was in any way connected to Old Light? I mean, residual magical energy? It can be silly and just be a normal coincidence...also the goblin attack the other day. They seemed hell bent on burning buildings and killing dogs. I just hope there is no connection. That town REALLY has a bad link to fire. The halfling takes a drag from his pipe. He scratches his smooth chin. It always was irritating for him that he was unable to grow a beard. Every scholar and philosopher needs a beard. You might be the wrong person for that but has Sandpoint suffered goblin attacks in the past?

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin nods to Aldern and drops down beside the poor woman who had been so gored by the enraged boar. "Good work my lord Aldern" he calls out to Foxglove as the boar tumbles down to the earth and Justin kneels beside Lzigua and the alarming pool of blood spreading out from her. He looks at the wound and vainly presses his hands against it looking at the others. "Someone help please."

    Spoiler: Heal
    Show

    (1d20)[15]..... I can guess how this will go
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •