The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 960
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    I get the attachment to dogs but why do people bury dogs in a cathedral? Adalbert wonders loudly. Anyway, if you hit the joints, or shove your sword into the cranium through the nose you might be able to break its skull. Adalbert lectures. I think the other stuff should be obvious, here let me show you.

    Instead of lecturing, Adalbert rushes in to help Justin with his attack.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another: Melee hit vs. AC 10 to give +4 to attacks, move to D5 (1d20)[7]

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    -Lebwen-

    Lebwen tries to make his way around the others to get a good hit on the dog, encouraged by Lizuga's enthusiasm.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I assume I can work my way around to get into range...

    attack
    (1d20+5)[8] +3 base, +2 buff
    damage
    (1d8+5)[6] +3 base, +2 buff

    Maybe I should have just acid splashed it, but seemed like a waste of the encouraging shout

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    Silna grasps her axe and shoulder her way past her comrades to get a chance at the skeletal canine. She attempts to dodge its first attack, and responds with a slice to the belly—a move which recently proved effective against a living canine.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Silna will eat the AoO. She moves to whichever space is still open, and attacks the skeleton dog.
    Attack - (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage - (1d12+4)[15]
    Spoiler: If it's a threat
    Show
    Confirm Crit - (1d20+4)[11]
    Crit Damage - (1d12+4)[14]
    Let's Just RPG! (quick & easy OGL system)
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lizuga laughs out loud as she hits the stone wall instead of the canine skeleton. Adalbert moves in to help, but only manages to block the most direct path to the skeleton. Lebwen is forced to move past the skeleton to get into position to attack and gets bitten for 2 damage. He attacks, but with his usual luck (if we can call it that), even flanking with Adalbert he misses fairly wide. Silna follows in and swings her axe into nothinghess that is the skeleton's belly, but then the swing continues into rib cage, causing 12 damage and pieces of bone flying in various directions. The skeleton collapses to the ground as an oblong heap of bones.

    There seems to be no more movement inside the vault, other than that by the party. Besides the bones scattered everywhere, you notice some heap of rags on the floor near the entrance. Also, you quickly notice that of the sarcophagi in the niches in the walls, one is open and empty. The name plate reads: Ezakien Tobyn.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, sorry, I missed the effect of Adalbert going there to help. This means Lebwen eats the AoO before Silna. I moved Lebwen all the way into flanking position because he is there for a good hit and can reach there and he already ate the AoO anyway, and also because this way Silna can attack this turn with her 20 feet move. Included Encouraging Roar into Silna's attack.

    Wolf skeleton: (1d20+2)[14] for (1d6+1)[2] trip (1d20+2)[7] vs CMD

    The party won. Actions?

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin sheathes his blades looking around grinning. "Well that seemed to go better than the last little fight I was in. Though strange to have animated skeletons running around under the church. Maybe Father Zantus could shed some light on it. " Glancing at the name plate he reads it out loud before shrugging, "Does anyone else know who Tobyn could have been?".

    Seeing the pile of rags that looks out of place he crouches beside them and see's if there anything contained within them.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    While performing some ancient Qadiran body rites with the skeletons, Adalbert mentions. I had a chat with a scholar in town. Tobyn is the former high priest of this cathedral and Zantus' master. Struggling to find a place to lay the copper piece in the mouth where it doesn't simply fall down onto the floor, Adalbert quickly shifts his attention away from the skeletons and casts Detect Magic after snapping his fingers for a Light spell on his dagger.

    Usually necromantic energy has to be quite strong in a place devoted to the more positive aligned gods. Something down here must be desecrated, or worse, the church was built upon another ritual site.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I give the place a thorough look.
    Spellcraft checks: taking 10 for 16. Then rolling for several auras, or rechecking the first if I don't get conclusive answers. (1d20+6)[7](1d20+6)[13](1d20+6)[15]

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Is there any way to tell if someone raised them, rather than random negative energy? With all the people for the festival did a necromancer sneak in to cause havoc?" Lebwen asks looking for any clues as to how they got here. "I doubt there were dogs buried in here and with only one sarcophagi open, that probably means these guys where left in here, rather than being raised in here" he adds gesturing to the boney remains.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Think Knowledge (arcana) would cover the general ways skeletons could be created

    (1d20+7)[13]

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Upon closer examination, the rags turned out to be an old tattered robe containing nothing. Upon magical examination, the robe turned out to be the only magical object in the vault, and only faintly so. Adalbert detecs it to be of the school of Necromancy, but is unable to identify the details.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Adalbert know (arcana): (1d20+7)[23]

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    This robe is of necromantic origin but the magic is either quickly fading or not very strong in the first place. He holds up the piece of cloth. I agree, a necromancer is a very high possibility, maybe even a goblin tampering in these arts. But I also learned that the Old Light was an ancient Thassilonian war machine. Basically a long range siege weapon. And only Nethys knows how they conjured up the necessary arcane energies. We should ask Zantus, and revisit sage Brodert. We should probably inform Lady Deverin of the happenings.

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Right, my diminutive friend. That sounds like a plan of action. Maybe some of those people can tell us more about these necromantic robes, and some juicy gossip on old Tobyn. Lead on!".

    Lizuga looks over Lebwen's bite. "Yah, that'll clear right up with a few beers and a good night's sleep. Let me know if it doesn't, okay?".
    Semper ludens.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    "This is beyond me," chimes in Silna. "I usually deal with living threats, not those that are already dead. But if these bones animated, does that mean other... remains... down here are at risk?"
    Let's Just RPG! (quick & easy OGL system)
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The Cathedral / Boneyard

    You went back to the cathedral to tell Father Zantus what you have discovered. He looks genuinely surprised. "We have not had any undead here, like, ever! This should not be happening!" He went with you back to the vault to see for himself. Pretty quickly he came to a conclusion: "Neither of these skeletons is Ezakien Tobyn. Ezakien died of the fire in the church. His remains were all burned, I handled them myself, and these two skeletons are just clean. More than that, we do not bury dogs here in the boneyard." He takes a closer look at the robe, casting a spell, but does not seem to reach a conclusion. "You should show this to Ilsoari Gandethus of Turandarok Academy, he should be able to tell what it is."

    Turandarok Academy

    You did as advised and are led by Justin to the academy, which turned out to be part school, part orphanage and part a museum of strange things and trophies. Ilsoari Gandethus, a wizard and the head of the academy was in. He listened to your story, took a closer look at the robe, casting a spell, and quickly reached a conclusion: "This is a Robe of Bones. Necromantic item, sort of like a portable collection of undead, usable by anyone. These things usually have a lot more of skeletons and zombies than you have encountered, but this thing seems old and well-used, so maybe that's all that it had. It is now completely depleted."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Spellcraft 15
    Show
    The spell being cast is Detect Magic on both counts.

    Abstalar Zantus spellcraft: (1d20+7)[9]
    Ilsoari Gandethus spellcraft: (1d20+10)[28]

    Will move you the rest of the route some time tomorrow.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Haven't even gotten a good view at it. Is it goblin sized or do we literally have a 'larger' problem now? Adalbert inquires.

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Have there been any sightings or rumors of other undead in the area in the last few months? Would a skeleton or zombie out in the forest be unusual enough for a scout to report it, even if they were able to take care of it at the time?"
    Lebwen asks.
    "Maybe we should ask the Mayor or scout directly when she returns if there have been any sightings"

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Turandarok Academy

    Ilsoari holds the robe up to full length. "Definitely human-sized. Should have been usable both by humans and goblins, so can't tell you about the 'size' of the problem. A skeleton or zombie encountered somewhere around the town would be reported to sheriff, I presume, but also would likely to be much gossiped about. Haven't heard such a thing. As for the gossiping... good work with those goblins! Feel free to come in any time." You left Turandarok Academy and went along Main Street, then Tower Street to Brodert Quink's residence.

    Sage's house

    The sage is surprised to see Adalbert back so soon and immediately (and correctly) assumes that something must have happened. Hearing the details and examining the robe, he shakes his head. "It's old, but not that old! Nothing to do with Thassilonian magic. I'd say someone got his hands on this robe and... what? Stole late Father Tobyn's remains? That, by itself, does not make much sense. We must be missing some essential detail."

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    That sounds like prophecy stuff. Can't really think off anything other than some cryptic rhyme. I have heard quite a few prophecies, I even had a professor in prophetic lore. Total nutcase she was. Maybe we are vastly overinterpreting the connection between the goblin attacks and the necromancer here. And one thing does not make sense. Depleted or not, why would anyone leave a robe behind? Even basic teleport spells take your possessions with you. Mindless undead cannot activate such items, and who in their right mind attacks a devout of Desna with undead? That is like attacking the sun with a lance made of wax.

    Adalbert rubs his chin. No, I say the goblin attack and the undead ambush were both distractions. Both were weak and badly planned, and are meant to eat up ressources or trigger some kind of behaviour. He turns to the ranger. Undead are not your forte but you are the only one who could maybe detect a change in stonework, and you are the best goblin tracker in town. Do you think you could pick up on some tracks for us? Lizuga could ask her crew if they saw someone suspicious at the harbor, and the rest of us can help me getting some rumor from the townsfolk and from Auntie dearest. Someone should ask the mayor on what her opinion of that is as well.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to gather information: (1d20+7)[11] +2 for anyone helping me.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Soooo......someone stole his bones years after he died? That's not just someone being angry, that's downright weird"
    Semper ludens.

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin trails after the others, intrigued by the unusual happenings in the small village that he'd come to call home. At Aadlebert's suggestion to Silna and Lizuga he pipes up. "If we are to hunt the goblin menace than I would gladly come. I need some revenge after failing at the gates." He motions towards the top of the hills, "I think I'll check in with the sheriff though to make sure I'm not needed for more mundane patrols within Sandpoint." He grins and gestures at the still smoking goblin pyres.

    As he looks at the Robe of Bones he shrugs, "A strange cloak, and a suspicious one." Looking at the more learned members of the party he asks with some hesitation "What one do with the bones of such a well liked and faithful priest?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin, you did not fail. Adalbert makes a stern face. If you weren't there, maybe I would have been the target of the goblin's wrath. And I am not sure I would have taken it as easily like you did. And time spent cutting you down is time spent not burning down Sandpoint, again. The halfling smiles. So if nothing else you are a formidable punching bag.

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    "Well," begins the dwarf, "I suppose it could have been a cover for something else going on in the vaults. I can search for any tracks or strange markings if we head back to the cathedral. But this magic stuff is beyond me."
    Let's Just RPG! (quick & easy OGL system)
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The Boneyard

    You head back to the boneyard before reporting to the mayor. Silna checks the area for tracks and finds many. Some are clearly left by the party, some by other medium-sized creatures over the last few days, but there are also many definitely goblin footprints. Silna thinks that most medium-sized footprints are left by legitimate visitors, but one set of medium-sized footprints correlates with goblins' footprints too much for a coincidence. Silna tries to get into the details of who went where, but is unable to reach a conclusion.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Silna perception: (1d20+7)[27]
    Silna survival: (1d20+7)[8]

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lebwen asks, "Silna can you tell anything about the bigger footprints with the goblins? Wearing boots or running around barefoot would at least give us an idea of what was with them."

    And after a minute says to Justin "Did you know the guard working the front gate? Maybe he got a better look at the entire attacking party. At very least we know there were nine goblins we killed and the one we escorted. If he saw more then we know some escaped, and if he saw less then that means the others got in a different way and we should look for how they got in."


    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Are the walls to the town the sort that would be easy or hard to scale? Clearly no for the dog, but someone else using the distraction.

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Goblins are pretty damn dumb, right? It makes sense that someone would push them to attack like that, so they could sneak in under cover aaaand...." -Lizuga shrugs - "...steal those bones for whatever light-forsaken reason. Somebody's the brains behind this. We can probably find them by going out and cracking a few goblins, tho."
    Semper ludens.

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Silna Glintstone—dwarf ranger

    Silna replies, "They didn't seem to differ from most of the visitors' footprints, Lebwen. They just... seemed to have traveled alongside the goblins. Maybe they were using the goblins as cover, but why were they targeting the old bones? What could they do with them?"
    Let's Just RPG! (quick & easy OGL system)
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Having gathered whatever information was available at the boneyard, which included observing the wall, which seemed quite difficult to climb without equipment (but then again, the equipment necessary was quite simple - like a rope and a grappling hook), the party went to report to the mayor. Hearing the news, the mayor was not amused. "So, someone is behind all this. You have my clearance to seek him out. Or her. Anyway, I hope Shalelu will be here tomorrow. If not, you are cleared to strike out on your own, at your option. I'll have sheriff Hemlock informed that you are assigned to this task, Justin, so that he won't be missing you."

    Having the business done, you return to Rusty Dragon to have your boar dinner and maybe discuss the plans. Aldern is there with your loot carefully packed by his men. "I will be leaving for Magnimar tomorrow morning. Have this prepared for you to ship or sell or whatever. Also, had this potion identified, turns out it's Cure Moderate Wounds."

    You sit in the tavern, enjoying your dinner when a well-dressed elderly Tian man slams the tavern's door open and bellows out a sharp-tongued command in a strange language. He notices you, frowns, and is about to say something, when Ameiko appears, a ladle dripping with soup in her hand. The two start to argue in their strange language, the man soon becomes enraged and tries to grab Ameiko by the hair, but she dodges and brains him with her soupy ladle.

    Spoiler: Justin or know (local) 10
    Show
    The man is Lonjiku Kaijitsu, one of Sandpoint's most well-known nobles and Ameiko's father.

    Spoiler: Justin or linguistics 15
    Show
    The language he uses is Minkaian. You know maybe a few words, but don't generally speak it.

    Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    Feel free to ignore or intervene.
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-01-02 at 08:56 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    There is a clatter as Lizuga throws her knife and fork onto her plate and gets up; she pauses to wipe her hands, but fails to do anything about the soup stains around her mouth. She tromps over to stand besides the innkeeper, glaring at the old man.

    (Also, she checks if he is okay)
    Semper ludens.

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    With more deliberation, Adalbert sets down his cutlery, cleans his mouth and advances just behind Lizuga.
    My, aren't you an impatient one, master Kaijitsu. However assuming Ameiko owns this place, I must ask you to follow etiquette. It is improper to discuss familial disagreements in public. About as improper to discuss things in a foreign language when guests are present. The halfling postures himself as non-threatening but is prepared for the worst. Please vacate the premises. You don't want your reputation to suffer when we bring the town guard into this, do you, Lonjiku?

    Spoiler
    Show
    I take 10 on Knowledge for a 17.
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[13]

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The Mayor / the Gates

    When speaking with the mayor and the Sheriff Justin smiles and nods. "My thanks Mayor, I will not let you down. But it will be good to have Shalelu to help us hunting." Joining the others again he grins. "I'm officially on goblin hunting duties now." As they head out to the gate and search around for tracks he tries to help Silna, particularly in the tracks that seem to be following the goblins.

    Spoiler: Survival
    Show

    Perception (1d20+4)[14]
    Survival (1d20+4)[14]


    The Rusty Dragon

    In the Inn later he sits happily having a few ale with the rest of his new friends he looks up as his Great Uncle storms in. As things turn ugly he leaps to his feet striding across to where Ameiko and Longjikou are arguing. "Great Uncle, stop it." he barks as he seeks to interpose himself between them. "What are you doing, why are you arguing?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    To Aldern "It was a lot of fun hunting boar, thank you for inviting us. Have a safe trip and be sure to send us a message if you notice anything amiss on the road back home."

    After Justin gets up and it is clear that this is a family matter Lebwen continues to eat but is watching just in case things escalate any further.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The Boneyard

    Justin confirms that about six goblins and one Medium humanoid climbed the wall, then half of the goblins wandered around while another half and Medium humanoid approached and entered the vault, then they all got back the way they came.

    The Rusty Dragon

    Lonjiku Kaijitsu looks at those intervening in the heated discussion, looks like he is about to say something, but then reconsiders, instead throwing a short phrase in his language at Ameiko and leaving the tavern. "I'll need a well-cleaned ladle now, since jackass stew's not on the menu." remarks Ameiko thanking those who stood on her side, and being almost in tears she's back to the kitchen.

    Spoiler: Survival 13
    Show
    If you check for tracks on the other side of the wall, you can confirm the numbers and establish the fact that the tracks go under the trees then join Lost Coast Road when the town gate is no longer in sight.
    Spoiler: Lizuga
    Show
    The old man is okay, only angry.
    Spoiler: Justin
    Show
    Justin diplomacy: (1d20+6)[11]

    In private, Ameiko says that her father is leaving the town, but other then that, there is nothing Justin should be concerned about.
    Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    There will be tomorrow tomorrow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •