New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Eluding the filter against profanity for writing a non-profane, just ambiguous word

My post count is too small to be able to post links, but I just read a post from the user Fyaltari in the thread "Even throwaway gags become important" in which he has problems because the filter against profanity didn't allow to write the name of the author of the science fiction novel "Ubik". You know, a Philip K. ****.

In a case like this, where the lack of profanity is unquestionable, would using tricks like "Philip K. D-l-C-K" be acceptable or is it also a violation of the rules?
    Life is like a ladder in a henhouse; it is short, but full of guano.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eluding the filter against profanity for writing a non-profane, just ambiguous wo

Yes, you can do that; it's not against the rules. Mods have previously stated these things on the topic (which I found using the search feature of the website):

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ghlight=filter

Roland St. Jude:
    Sheriff: No. As noted above, you can work around the filter for non-profanity purposes. We're aware that the filter is inconvenient, but it serves useful forum regulation purposes.
    (post #7, context: previous posts had people explaining things like "You're allowed to bypass the filter for non-offensive uses of a word." and gave examples.)

Rawhide:
    If you are making use of an innocuous form of a blocked word, it is ok to circumvent the filters to discuss it. But, be doubly sure it is being used completely innocuously and appropriately (e.g. there are certain words that will never be ok, regardless of context), as it shows you were aware it was filtered and took steps to circumvent it.

P.S. I was actually the first person to demonstrate the colour code method of circumvention.
    (post #4)

and then, another mod clarified on the "be double sure it is being used completely innocuously" line by saying:

Roland St. Jude:
    And this demonstrates, perhaps, a spot where you really shouldn't have written that and circumvented the filter to do so. You're not really discussing Moby Dick; you're being cheeky and making a double entendre to say the word "dick" for a laugh.

I would advise on this issue as on all others, err on the side of caution.
    (post #7)

There's probably a couple other threads in this subforum you can find on the topic (such as when it is okay and when it isn't when the filter censors part of a url), but I feel like these two threads I linked were clear enough. I'd recommend reading them if you want more context.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-11-25 at 07:13 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Eluding the filter against profanity for writing a non-profane, just ambiguous wo

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Yes, you can do that; it's not against the rules. Mods have previously stated these things on the topic (which I found using the search feature of the website):

Roland St. Jude: (post #7, context: previous posts had people explaining things like "You're allowed to bypass the filter for non-offensive uses of a word." and gave examples.)

Rawhide: (post #4)

and then, another mod clarified on the "be double sure it is being used completely innocuously" line by saying:

Roland St. Jude: (post #7)

There's probably a couple other threads in this subforum you can find on the topic (such as when it is okay and when it isn't when the filter censors part of a url), but I feel like these two threads I linked were clear enough. I'd recommend reading them if you want more context.
    I have a very old link to a single post here. This comes up occasionally, but unless you are really talking about the White Whale, old timey detectives, or actors known for their horrible cockney, evading the censor is frowned upon with extreme prejudice. After all, we can't talk about Mary Poppins without mentioning Dick van Dyke.

That said, unless you use a link shortener, you can't link to pages whose URLs involve banned words.

Finally, the mods have said (possibly in one of the linked threads) that they are aware that the censor is both too strict and not strict enough. The censor is there to remind people to use polite language and to catch the occasional slip-up, not to allow people to swear like sailors without consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Those above have said what needs to be said. If you want to talk about the first Robin, no one is going to warn you for Di.ck Grayson, or other methods of evading the filter. Likewise, no one is going to get mad about the occasional filtered words that aren't directed at anybody; as I explain to my kids, there's a difference between "Well, **** me" used as a statement of disbelief and "Well, **** you" as a statement of anger... the filter catches both, but the second is clearly a problem, while the first probably is not.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.