New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Tides that Bind IC

@Gregory: The Lantern Archons may be small, but one cannot say they are cowards.

That beast hits like a damn truck, but at least they should keep it busy for a few seconds. Enough for your body to recover its former strength and then finish this abomination.

It's two bright golden rays that strike the beast. One ricochets off its antlers, fading harmlessly into the foggy sky.

The other is a direct hit.... but not really impressive enough to cause this beast to keel over in pain. Still, they are keeping it busy and that's good enough.

Round 8

These Celestial Champions may be forty feet off the ground, able to snipe at the beast at their hearts content, but...

This son of a bitch can leap. It has done so many times before and that's exactly how it showed up on the Great Bridge to fight you. That immense arm of his is used as a spring of sorts to propel his body upwards and with its slightly shorter claw, grabs one of the Archons, landing several feet closer to your location as the entire structure shakes and crumbles a bit more.

Shrieking and roaring in the diminutive Archon's luminous face, which sings like a canary in despair, the beast crushes the poor summon in his claw and bashes his fist into the ground at least three times, causing golden ichor to spurt onto the bridge before the entire summon dissipates, sent back to Celestia with memories it will hopefully forget.

Sadly, this was somewhat expected- Lantern archons are decent combatants against regular foes. This isn't one of them as you once again ask the power of The Cudgel to answer your prayers and forfeit The Holy Sword prayer uttered this morning in favor of yet more nourishing light.

You need to use this time granted and capitalize on it to the extreme if you plan to leave its safe confines and face this beast one on one.

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Beast of the Great Bridge
    Gregory & Lantern Archon
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-11 at 07:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Camus shake himself to get rid of the cold water.
    "Something is wrong, Daun. It's messing with my teleportation as if clearly not wanting us to meddle. Let's go flying instead: who knows where it will take us next time".

Truth be told, Camus ran low on Teleports. Although two fiascoes in a row was not his fault as there is a fate component when casting the standart version of the spell that could prove frustating to even an archmage, he didnt like the idea of being the laughingstock in Runestone. So he blame some esoteric and supernatural effect.

Not really wanting to feel cold for the night, Camus cast a powerful abjuration to shield him from cold and taking to the skies. "It might be dangerous and you're already at home. If you want to go back to sleep I wont tell".

Spoiler: Cold Heart
    Show
    Energy Immunity (Cold)
    Immune to Cold for 24 hours.

If she decide she still wants to check on the howlng, Camus nods and fly along.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun fixes Camus with a glare, figuring that her most powerful enhancement will now wear off before the fight even starts.

"Of course it's going to be dangerous. Why would that mean I'm not going?"

She takes to the skies, headed in the direction of the noise they heard before.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kalir

As the Crow turns her back Kalir silently calls upon an advanced Sublime Way secret. His full body tenses for but a second, and his bleeding ceases. He walks towards the carnage by the overturn carriage. His footsteps are solid so that she knows he is not trying to sneak up on her. His eyes, naturally better in dim light than humans, are focused on the dead. Who were they and why did the attack the carriage? His voice was calm and neutral.

"Like an owl I silently swooped down on my target. Like you I am no paladin. Like you I fight as needed. I don't claim to know you though. It drives Maxil Trentis crazy that I am Royal Guard. But he and the others know I am loyal. Just tonight the king himself entrusted himself to me. I do not want to see this city get torn apart. If you are out then there must be trouble. I don't expect to like your answers. That's the price for protecting the city. I accept that. Enlighten me then, please."

Kalir has circled around to the dead carriage driver opposite of the Crow. His empty hands turned outward to show no threat.

"In the mean time If you must burn that body, let me grab some token from him for his family. He seemed a good man. And if you'll allow me, I can help some with those injuries."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Iron Heart Endurance, heal 28. 141/238hp.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: Chances are that you could take down The Crow at this point.

It would be very easy. With Thresher firmly gripped in your hands, a single swing to her back and she';d be done. Never mind all the sweet items you could pilfer from her. Everyone who fights like that must have magic items, right?

"You swooped down like a blind hawk. Errant in his course. Messy in his execution. Oh, I can tell you are no paladin... not that they are as pious as one would think anyway.

As for loyalty, good. That is one thing that seems to be found in spades here. Blindness too. If you decide to walk this path, little boy, you may find yourself having to hunt faces you know. This is a burden few are willing to bear.""

The Crow ceases pouring oil on the dead stage coach and you rummage through his butchered body, retrieving a single rosary bearing the symbol of the Healing Church, now covered in blood.

"Oedon's Tomb.

That's where I was headed before this man was attacked. A Hunter has fallen to bloodlust and become a danger to everyone. As we speak, he is engaged with another. Given who his rival is, I am certain that the fight is done. I would assist and go confirm the kill, but...

Someone decided to be rash and stupid and has left me in less of a fighting state than normal. If you are out here doing the King's work, you might want to check that place, but a word of caution, little boy:

Once you fall to the allure of Blood, you will turn into a Beast. There is no escaping such fate.

Take that as enlightenment.""

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun & Camus: You could go back home.

One of you lives in Glenndale. The other in Runestone. The flight back to the Academy should be relatively easy...

But you are thrill seekers. You want to Experience a fight? Well...

It's a little over ten minutes flying at top speed over the foggy streets of Halmathan. Some spells may have been spent already, but the sounds of howling and beastly shrieks draw your attention towards St. Abaidas Bridge. It is barely visible due to the thick fog, but as you descend, you realize that perhaps it would've been better to go home.

Inquisitor Gregory is on the bridge, worse for wear. He's currently engaged in a battle and given the huge amounts of blood on the ground and cracks on the bridge, it isn't going well for him.

In fact, a single glowing mote shoots at his adversary, but it clearly isn't enough as both witness a gigantic beast, well over thirty feet tall. Claws bigger than a man and greyish white hair covering its body while a pair of twisted horns just from its lupine face.

Who knows what this is- there are no books or records or tales of a creature like this ever. It seems rather violent, though as it roars and shrieks in your direction while the tiny golden more keeps on the assault of him.

@Gregory: Just a little while longer...

With this beast occupied by your summons, you should have ample time to recover and bring it down for good...

And then, flying majestically and smelling of the ocean, Archmage Camus appears a few feet behind you, with his raven familiar.

Map

Show
    Breast of the Great Bridge
    Gregory & Lantern Archon
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-12 at 02:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Letting Daun take the lead, he follow her for sometime until they reach St. Abaidas' Bridge justbto find the Great inquisitor Gregory fighting a gigantic beast.

"Need help from a potential criminal, Inquisitor Gregory?", he shouts to the man, not one to let go the opportunity for a little sting, "Just what the thing is this thing? No, not you Thing".

Spoiler: Lore
    Show
    Nature check in the beast:
    (1d20+21)[23]
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2018-12-11 at 08:18 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

8. - Top - End - #158

Kalir opens his wings wide, ready to take to the skies. "Find me after this night is over. That will be easier than me finding you I'm sure. If the Hunter survives, who am I hunting?"

With the answer, the raptoran takes to the skies. Getting above the rooftops he takes advantage of something who fly by magic can't, doubling his normal speed. He couldn't do it all night, but his years of hard training gave him the endurance to do it for far longer than most. He beelines for Oedon's Tomb. As he gets close, he activates his ring.

Show
    Refresh maneuvers while listening to the answer. Run action while flying. Run for 2 min (~.6 mile) then go to normal flight speed. Go invisible as a I get close.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

@Kalir: The Crow kneels in front of the dead and offers a silent prayer as you spread your wings and take off to the night sky.

"If there is another night for us, I might just do that.

As for who is the one you're looking for? He will try to kill you. That should be something you are well acquainted with and can recognize.""

And then you're gone.

Daun should be back at the mare or snug at home. Although you were given the task to watch over her, you;re a raptoran. And a Royal Guard. Where in your title does it say that you have to watch over people? Weapons and trinkets and maneuvers are there to be used. That's a fact.

As for Oedon's Tomb... that's not close.

The Golden Mare Inn and this street are, but you'll have to do some serious flying across Halmathan to reach the old cemetery. Your wings can propel you fast, but not fast enough. Thankfully, you have a ring!

A ring that shall make you Invisible and Invincible. Whoever that crazy Hunter is you're after, he'll never know what him him.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Gregory looks back in surprise. "Be careful! This beast has shown remarkable abilities to leap and possesses tremendous strength. I do not know what it is, but we must bring it down, for the safety of the City!" he says, before launching into another spell.

The lantern archon shoots another ray of light at the monstrosity, then flies upwards and away from it.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    The archon attacks then moves to around 33 and as far left and as high as it can make it on 60 ft.
    Ray of light: (1d20+2)[18]; damage: (1d6)[3]

Gregory's HP: 141/196
    Last edited by Taelas; 2018-12-12 at 06:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Round 9

@Ilven: Maybe all that running has left you winded. maybe the fact that this mad man has gotten a bigger and deadlier weapon has put you on edge...

But you have frozen in place and so, the psychopath smiles wickedly as he rears that enormous halberd and as the moon's light shines on the blood of its blade, the mad man swings it with such force, that he is physically able to send you flying back!

Spoiler: Knock Back
    Show

33 damage plus 1 bleeding damage. Reflex DC 33 or be sent back 10 ft. and knocked prone.

And whether you are able to hold out the worst or not, the killer steps five feet closer to you.

Map

Show
    Father Gascoigne
    Ilven

@Gregory: A wizard? Good.

Although you could take down this creature on your own, Runestone is known for having some very capable casters. Be it a pardoned offender or not. A damn pyromaniac... you sure could use someone with a set of skills like that against this beast.

And with only one Lantern Archon left, this one watches the utter destruction of its brethren and zaps the beast again. It hits, but not enough to really bring it down.

Round 9

@Gregory, Daun & Camus: Even with all your intellectual might combined... you have no idea what this thing is. How it came to be in this City. All those metaphorical dice rolls for luck are for naught-

There is NO precedence of a being like this existing. Ever. At this point, you are fighting it blindly or not at all.

And as for Gregory's summon, the beast looks up at it and shrieks so loudly in it s direction, that the tiny golden mote sings like a despairing canary before bursting into blood mid air, fading away from existence.

And then, using its mighty arm, the beast moves closer towards Inquisitor du Vay, intent on finishing him.

@Gregory: Still under the protection of Sanctuary, you look at the beast, now awfully close to you and focus on invading his mind. Attempt to see what goes through that beast...

There it is. You managed to invade his mind. Murky at first, but there is something there and....

And it is at that very moment that you feel the Sanctuary spell dissipate, as the beast, towering in front of you, holds its head with one claw and aims the other at you, shrieking in abject anger! It does not want you meddling inside and as a result, it will finish what it started.

Map

Show
    Gregory
    Camus
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-13 at 03:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's bring it down before it roam somewhere else", he shouts to Gregory and analyze the situation.

If left alone to fight a beast this huge, who knows if the inquisitor would make it (not that he have much love for him, at all) but removing him from Harm's way might be as good as putting someone else in its wake of destruction. Not having planned to blast a beast to the Outer Planes when he woke up, he decides to give the beast a new distraction.

Blowing a gust a wind in his gloved hand, he start whispering to it in Auran.

"Defend the bridge and smite down the beast threatening it", he says in a language that reminds of the wind blowing as several runes appear on his robes. He then takes a deep breath and exhales as the wind around the beast begin to spin with great intensity and a huge air elemental appears right beside the beast and between it and himself. If it likes jumping, better have a summon blocking his path to himself.

Spoiler: Robe of Mysterious Conjuration
    Show
    Activating it is a standart action, so the summon can act right away.
    Summoning a Huge Air Elemental (burning my Glass Strike for it) so as it is melee with the beast, but floating 15ft above ground, using its bulk to prevent him from jump toward Camus and Daun.

SUMMON STATS
    HP: 136
    Speed: Fly 100ft (Perfect)
    AC: 22 (Touch 18, FF 12) - This consider he's dodging the beast
    Grapple: +24
    Space/Reach: 15ft/15ft
    FA: 2 Slams +19 (2d8+4) - This consider his Air Mastery
    SA: Air Mastery, Whirlwind
    SQ: DR 5/-, Darkvision 60ft, elemental traits
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +19, Will +5
    Relevant Feats: Combat Reflexes (up to 9 AoOs), Dodge, Mobility, Fly-by Attack, Spring Attack

The wind colossus appears immediatly after Camus' call and smite the beast with cyclonic strength, all the while dodging its probable offense.

Spoiler: Wind Slam
    Show
    1st Slam (1d20+19)[34] dmg (2d8+4)[14]
    2nd Slam (1d20+19)[35] dmg (2d8+4)[10]

Free action to Dodge the beast.

"I can take you out with a whim, but I fear this beast will turn his attention somewhere else if we frustate his hunt", he says to Daun, "Have to keep it busy before I can destroy it".
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2018-12-12 at 03:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: In all your years training in the arcane...

Who knows where this thing came from. Why it is here... but it must be put down. As a Runestone Archmage, it is your duty to use your power to protect the people of this City. Savages as they might be.

And even if it's a man like Inquisitor Gregory. Those earlier summons were too small for a beast this big. No, you need something to match its strength. Also, you don't want to end like the Cuthbertine below. Daun is a raven, and her best spell wore out a long time ago. That thing will mince both of you apart. What to do...

And then you place your hands together and your robes begin to illuminate as the fog around you disperses in a small radius. Whatever this thing is, it will have to answer to the Powers from Beyond. Those that dwell amidst roiling clouds. Beings that can challenge any mortal. A creature only a mind such as yours can hold sway over...

And with the winds increasing, a true Champion of the Inner Planes answers your call, floating a few feet off St. Abaidas Bridge as the beast looks at him and bears its claws before the airy goliath smashes him once, causing the beast to shake its head in mild annoyance, followed by a brutal uppercut that nearly sends it falling off the bridge itself!

Despite the strength of your summon, something is clear as you analyze the battle:

Those hits... only one actually hurt the beast. And not by much. A tough hide to boot. How to deal with an enemy like this?

Map

Show
    Gregory
    Camus & Huge Air Elemental
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-12 at 04:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm, the idea of collapsing the bridge with a tyrannosaurus is tempting, but I think I can do better than that.

Not for the first time tonight, Daun stands in horrified awe of the thing before her.

Carefully watching the battle, Daun decides against summoning an ally of nature for fear of collapsing the bridge under their huge blows. But there isn't much she could do from this distance. She flies closer to Sir Gregory, taking care to be fairly high up and out of the reach of the beast. A creature like this was no natural thing she knew of. Which means it was likely to have some magical empowerment behind it. It was worth a shot.

At her caw, a blossom of translucent green petals appears around the beast, seeking to sap away any magic that might be bolstering it.

"Fight on Sir Gregory. You have friends."

Spoiler
    Show
    So I don't actually have a lot of great options, but dispelling is never really a bad idea.

Daun will move action to fly to H37. (I can't see the column names, but assuming the leftmost one is A, it would be column H)

Then using targeted greater dispel magic on the beast. I don't know if it even has magical buffs up, but I don't really want to waste a turn casting detect magic or something. I'm just going to roll dispel checks, please take as many as you need (or ask me to roll more if needed)

Spoiler: Dispelling
    Show
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[30]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[33]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[17]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[26]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[25]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[32]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[27]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[32]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[31]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[23]
    Greater Dispel Magic Check: (1d20+13)[26]
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

@Daun: You could summon a gigantic predator from the Cretaceous Period and with Camus' own summon, have them gang up on that thing...

You could, but who knows what would happen to anyone standing in the area, mainly sir Gregory. The big boys will have to wait. There might be a way to bring him down to size, though. A thing like this could not have merely spawned out of the blue. Magic has to be involved.

And so, you swoop down closer to the Inquisitor, keeping an eye out for the beast, but that massive claw of his is just now proving to be deceptive long and lethal as it claws at you mid descent.

Spoiler: AoO Claw
    Show
    38 damage. Apply DR, if any

Bastard has incredible reach and strength to boot, but you can fix that, as a shower of green spectral petals slowly rain on the hulking creature...

Only for it to shriek and roar in even more anger. It has no spells on it... why????

Round 10

@Gregory: The beast roars in your face and does a quick leap over you and around, allowing for Camus' elemental to punish him for his folly.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    From Elemental to the Beast

And whether the living tornado struck or not, the beast's imposing shadow looms over you as it stretches out both of his shaggy arms and brings them down on you with monstrous strength!

Spoiler: Beastly Embrace
    Show

56 damage plus Improved Grab DC 59 and roll a Concentration check to maintain Detect Thoughts active.

Map

Show
    Gregory
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-13 at 03:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

The air elemental was tasked to smite down that creature and so he does with obedient servitude.

Show
    Slam (1d20+19)[32] dmg (2d8+4)[17]

"I dont have the whole night! Got a bottle to finish and a weasel to name", he shout to the others.

Still flying, Archmage Camus decide to give those below a better fighting chance. With a flick of his wrist the passage of Time seemed to slow down for an instant for Daun and Gregory, just to speed up as their movements become faster.

Spoiler: Haste
    Show
    Casting Haste on all three: Daun, Gregory and Elemental.

"Keep beating the giant dog!", he commands in Auran the elemental, which strike with extra fast diligency.
    Following the orders, the elemental fly a little bit closer to the beast and keep smacking it with his clenched fists.

Spoiler: Summon FA
    Show
    Taking a 5ft to get in reach (his reach is 15ft)

1st Slam (1d20+20)[30] dmg (2d8+4)[16]
    2nd Slam (1d20+20)[28] dmg (2d8+4)[14]
    Haste Slam (1d20+20)[39] dmg (2d8+4)[15]

17. - Top - End - #167

Kalir

Flying took no mental effort so his mind raced with the encounter with the Crow.

The Crow had given up her hunt. I've taken the Crow out of the fight for the night. Normally that would be a boast worthy accomplishment, but I just weakened the city's defenses when it was needed. My fault. My job to try to make up for it.

She gave me a good slashing too. Not an ideal way to head into another fight.

How did she know about her prey being at that tomb?

How did she know that prey was already facing a rival?

How does she know I might still make it there on time?

Who is that rival?

Who is this other Hunter?

What drove him or her mad?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Running so much while heavily wounded is not easy, but pausing to catch one's breath carries dire consequences, as Ilvan quickly learns when the madman's wicked swing sends him sprawling through the graveyard's dust.

He looks around for options, and finds them to be swiftly running out. Except...
    The statues- this killer was a large man, perhaps he would be able to seek shelter there- or it would at least make his corpse irritating for the madman to retrieve and dissect should he die in such an inconvenient place.

That halberd was swift and dangerous, but better to die while trying than while begging for mercy that almost certainly wouldn't come.

Ilvan calls on his boots one more time, and makes a leap of faith.

Show

1.)Boots of speed as a free action.

2.) Move-equivalent action, get up. Tumble doesn't seem to apply, so this will likely provoke an AoO, which stands... a 50/50 or more chance of killing Ilvan outright. The player is aware of this.

3.) If the map given includes the pushback effect: Move action, get into the cover of the statues, Tumble DC 15 to avoid AoO (1d20+18)[20] . If the map does not include the pushback effect, the DC would have to be 25 to move at full speed and make it to cover.

HP=37/160, Bleed 1.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun looks curiously at her failed spell. There was something strange going on here for sure. But often times a beast would act like this when confused or threatened. And Daun's never met a creature she couldn't tame, but with Gregory and now Camus at risk, there wasn't time to try calming the creature. Well, perhaps they could scare it off.

Seeing it grab Gregory gave Daun an opening where she could fly in without being ripped to shreds. She pecks Gregory on the shoulder, and the inquisitor immediately bursts into purifying blue-green flames.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Fires of Purity on Sir Gregory, which lasts 13 rounds. Gregory deals an extra 13 fire damage on melee attacks, and creatures that make melee attacks against Gregory take 13 fire damage as well. Now let's hope it doesn't have fire resistance.

Buffs: Death Ward, Freedom of Movement
    HP: 118/156
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2018-12-13 at 10:22 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Whatever this thing is, it can be killed.

Runestone is a house of Knowledge. This includes not only learning the ways of the arcane, but also how to use said knowledge to finish off an adversary. There is a reason why wizards all over the world are feared- they can end a life without ever having to swing a blade or nock back an arrow. These are not tenets Runestone boasts in their admission pamphlet, but let's be real here:

Ending a battle quickly is what true wizards do. Be it directly or indirectly, the power of the Cosmos is yours to unravel as your needs demand. and so, you cast a mighty incantation from the Transmutation School. One that is sure to sway the tide in your favor against this beastly adversary.

It is clear by the actions of this creature that it's solely focused on the Inquisitor- the way it ignored your summon makes that evident. But why? It doesn't matter. If it kills Sir Gregory, it will come after you and Daun. Can't let that happen, as Time is exponentially sped in your allies' favor and your whirlwind colossus bashes the beast several times.

He doesn't kill him- that hide has proven pretty tough. But a few more slams and he should go down. If he doesn't, you should still have an entire repertoire of arcane tricks to dispose of it. You need to. Not only because you're an Archmage, but because of what this "dog" will do to the rest of the City of let loose.

@Daun: Wait... a book told you that spell solves everything. EVERYTHING!

They lied. It doesn't. Although typically a beast like this HAS to be magical and bear powerful magical protections... it has none. This beast just happens to be abnormally strong, which is silly:

Nobody can be that strong without trinkets and transmutations, right? Yet here we are, with that thing crushing Inquisitor du Vay with its claws. Who knows what this creature is or why it's here and although you may not look eye to eye with the Cuthbertine, it's not like you are going to let him die at the hands of that monster.

Swooping down towards du Vay, as he struggles within the beast's grasp, you peck the back of his shoulder and watch Mystical turquoise flames erupt around the Inquisitor...

@Gregory: That grip again... you aren't going to survive another whomping like that and...

And then you watch the beast shriek and howl in pain, as your body ignites and so does its claws, releasing you immediately from its grasp as it looks at its claws, singed badly.

It has been hurt. A lot. More than would be expected from such a minute amount of fire as it fixes its eyes on the raven that visited upon him such scorching punishment.

Map

Show
    Gregory
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-13 at 04:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Ilven: Vision is going blurry now...

And then you fly back several feet and land on your back, skidding on grave soil and trailing more blood. This mad man is incredibly strong. That axe/halberd of his carries the strength of a beast. How will you ever have a chance to defeat him?

If only you had refused that child's request. If you hadn't come to Oedon's Tomb. If only...

No. That's a lot of "if's". A poor excuse for your current state. Amidst the pain, you can vaguely remember Captain Ludwig's words to you and Amren, amidst the speed in which you were traveling so long ago:

You were trained to be weapons of war. Disciplined and devoted. Not children playing with newfound toys! The power we have is not to be squandered in petty games to prove each other's worth over their fellow Spartan! Commit to your oaths, Helguard.

If I wanted children out here, I would have picked them up at The Orphanage! Now let us prepare. Remember why we are here...and fulfill your duty.

It was rare to see Captain Ludwig lose his cool. The man was a legend not only in the Helguard, but the City of Halmathan as a whole, His dedication to the mission went unquestioned. He knew his life and those under his command were always at stake and so, expected nothing less than flawless perfection in the field. The grim marches were unforgiving. Make a single mistake, and it would most likely mean the end of you and your squad...

A lesson learned too late for you and your pupil, now forever bound to a wheelchair.

Although The Holy Blade isn't here now, you are one of the last remaining Helguards left in the world. You need to put this mad man down, some way or another. And so, you get up and roll several times around the grave soil, finding a semi secure spot behind some graves and watch more of your precious blood drip onto the ground.

@Kalir:
    The streets are covered in fog and the faint scent of incense reaches you even at this altitude.

Rushing in like a darn fool, you just made Halmathan a far more dangerous place tonight. Hunters, praised or despised, took care of The Scourge years ago. It is true that some fell to that damn curse- or whatever the public called it- but they got the job done. The Crow being the top Hunter amongst their ranks, as far as you know.

And you beat the hell out of her, leaving her in a limping state. Maybe if the City Guard were around. And the entirety of the Royal Guard, this could be averted. But right now, you are alone. Flying over the City and not in top shape after "sparring" with the Hunter of Hunters.

You and her may have different views on how to dish out Justice, but crippling her means a crippled Hunt for beasts and mad Hunters. This, you cannot ignore. Something else you cannot ignore is how she knows about her marks and their location.

Oedon's Tomb is rarely visited- and with good reason. Past its gates lies Old Halmathan. Not a place you have ventured to and hopefully never will. The first outbreaks of The Scourge took place there before it spread to the entire City. The solution?

To this day, people avoid even mentioning that place and what was done to it. Many were lost due to The Scourge and a decade later, grief still festers within many who lost loved ones to it.

But that's not where you're headed. The graveyard leading to it is your destination. If the Crow cannot fulfill her task, it falls upon you to cover up for her. You may not be a Hunter, but that doesn't mean you are bereft of skill and strength.

But what about your opponent? The Crow mentioned he will try to kill you. If this individual is similar to The Crow power wise, that is a very real possibility. However, the only way to find out is by going to the old graveyard.

If her mark is facing another, they might need help... or a burial. Handy, given where you are going.

And so, completely exhausted, you land at the open gate leading down to Oedon's Tomb as the fog roils around thicker than anywhere else in the City. Almost as if trying to block your passage as trails of blood lead down below to the Hallowed Ground.

But nothing can stop you. Not only are you a Raptoran, but you are also a Royal Guard. Top student at The Blooming Lotus. You will deal with whoever is down there. And it will be dealt with swiftly and painfully if necessary.

Round 10

@Ilven: Every single muscle and bone in your body is ready to call it quits as you roll further away from the psychopath and take refuge behind some grave stones.

Not that it may help much with this bastard's speed, strength and new found reach, but you need to find a way to somehow over power him as the man sniffs the air around Oedon's Tomb and laughs maniacally as he takes his time walking towards you, halberd held firmly in both hands and then...

Something's wrong with him. He's fallen on his knees and has begun grunting and coughing... blood? You hurt him with several arrows, but not so much to bring him to his knees. What's going on with him?

@Kalir: Still invisible and invincible, you descend the stairs to Oedon's Tomb and can smell the blood all over the place. It's a charnel house. There was a slaughter here, given the body parts piled in a corner of the graveyard. A recent one too.

And then you catch sight of... Ilven Selma? The Old Helguard is near death hiding behind some gravestones. He does not look well. Is he the man The Crow told you to come and kill? Impossible. The man's a National Hero, a Living Legend...

There is another man here as well. Wearing simple attire- nothing fancy expect a black coat a hat and a dangerous looking halberd covered in blood as he kneels on the ground and coughs blood, in abject pain.

Map

Show
    Father Gascoigne
    Ilven
    Kalir
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-17 at 10:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally free, Gregory decides to go directly on the offensive, hammering his mace at the beast. The enchantments from the others make him move faster, hit harder, and he unleashes a barrage of blows.

Show
    Detect thoughts runs out, since Gregory isn't spending an action on maintaining it.

Attack #1: (1d20+21)[31]; damage: (1d8+6)[10] (+13 Fire); if crit: (1d20+21)[28]; crit damage: (1d8+6)[8] (+13 Fire)
    Hasted Attack: (1d20+21)[26]; damage: (1d8+6)[13] (+13 Fire); if crit: (1d20+21)[22]; crit damage: (1d8+6)[13] (+13 Fire)
    Attack #2: (1d20+16)[26]; damage: (1d8+6)[11] (+13 Fire); if crit: (1d20+16)[24]; crit damage: (1d8+6)[11] (+13 Fire)
    Attack #3: (1d20+11)[25]; damage: (1d8+6)[14] (+13 Fire); if crit: (1d20+11)[14]; crit damage: (1d8+6)[8] (+13 Fire)

HP: 88/196
    AC: 29

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

@Gregory: Time for some payback.

This beast has tossed you around like a rag doll. It almost killed Galavant... he is not getting any mercy from you. And since it's clearly afraid of fire, you take as many swings as possible, thanks to Camus and his talking familiar. Who knew Runestone trained their pets to cast spells? Handy indeed.

However, in the midst of swinging, there's some missing. Those hits that do connect, meet the beast's brutally thick hide, which, although it repels the steel of your mace, does nothing to prevent this monstrosity from burning as it shrieks in pain towards the moon and pants heavily as its legs shake a bit.

Round 11

@Daun, Gregory & Elemental:
    It is said that when an animal is injured and cornered, that's when it becomes the most dangerous. Either you kill it quickly, or it will retaliate and turn the tide.

The beast claws the bridge with his massive hand and scrapes in a wide arc, striking all three of you with monstrous strength!

Spoiler: Beastly Swipe
    Show

All three bolded take 47 damage. Apply DR if needed. Any who are on the ground, make a Reflex DC 47 or fall back 10ft. and prone.

And then, with a large howl, the beast leaps further back onto the great bridge, whimpering in pain as that last slash caused it to further catch on fire... but it isn't down yet.

And hopefully, it gives you brave heroes a chance to retaliate.

Show

From Gregory (if he hasn't been knocked back and prone) and Elemental

Map

Show
    Gregory
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-13 at 06:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

The elemental is deeply cut but still stands flying when the beast jumps away... But not fast enough to prevent the elemental to strike at its back.

Spoiler: Elemental AoO
    Show
    Slam (1d20+20)[26] dmg (2d8+4)[13]

Camus watch as the beast seemed very affraid of fire. Howling in Auran, he order the elemental to press on the attack and charge the beast.

Spoiler: Wind Charge
    Show
    Charge (1d20+22)[30] dmg (2d8+4)[12]

"Dont let it escape!", he shouts to the others on the bridge and get ready. This dog wont escape.

Spoiler: Ready
    Show
    Readying to cast a Wall of Force to block its escape

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

@Camus: Safe and away from the battle, you will never lower yourself to be a savage and engage in this kind of carnage.

You are a wizard. Magic is the most powerful force ever known. Nothing can best you. That is a fact. Some might even go as far as saying that you are a deity when it comes to arcane matters. Calling beings from the Inner Planes? Only a god has the right to do that, so by such flawless logic...

You must be a god.

And gods have servants. Your elemental does not put down on the chase after the beast, despite getting sliced badly. You will catch it, alive would be interesting. But given its nature, dead will work just as well.

Your summon tries to bash once as the beast leaps away. too slow.

Your summon then presses on the charge and strikes the beast as this one uses its wounded longer claw to pierce your summon. A poor exchange of blows with a clear winner.

Spoiler: AoO Claw
    Show

53 damage

However, your summon is tough- it should be able to withstand a few more swipes and they are disposable:

You can call as many as you want. Barring that, those two below should be able to kill it. And if they cannot and that thing decides to flee...

Then you will be required to use force against it.

Map

Show
    Gregory
    Daun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-12-14 at 05:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Daun winces in pain as her tiny bird bones are crushed by beast's claws. Feathers fly. But still she stands.
    With another peck on the inquisitor's armor, she a shower of rose petals fall over Gregory, stitching his wounds together and relieving him of his aches and pains from battle. Then she flies about forty feet in air, looking to avoid any more sharp claws.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Heal on Gregory to restore 140 HP, as well as all of heal's other good side effects.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ilvan can hardly believe his own survival as the madman bends over and starts hacking up a lung. There's a stroke of pity for the man about to put him in the ground; his body and mind were clearly failing, taking him on a rampage while his little daughter waited for a father who would likely never return. If the mother had found the madman... well, there might be red jewels among that pile of the dead.

He gives a brief thought to taking this opportunity to run- but he was sure the killer would catch him in short order. Instead, he would take advantage of this opening and try to bring him down. Fulfill his duty, or die trying, in true Helguard fashion.

And so, even though his blood spatters the tombs, he raises his bow and looses more gleaming arrows toward the madman's dark shape.

Show

EDIT: Mathing effects of critical now, will be included into this post when finished. Please wait ~5min if you're reading this now, AlanBruce. Edit: Math done, thanks for your patience.

Taking one bleed damage, 36/160.

1.) Swift action, use Guided strike (attacks this round overcome DR)
    2.) Free action, boots of haste, round 7/10
    3.) Full attack, silver arrows.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Haste: (1d20+29)[49]
    Critical confirmation, if needed: (1d20+33)[35]
    Damage: ( (1d8)[8]+(1d6+7)[13] ) Nonlethal + (1d6)[6] acid. = 21 nonlethal, 6 acid
    Critical damage: +25 nonlethal.

Total for haste attack= 46 nonlethal, 6 acid.

Attack 1: (1d20+29)[47] +1 stance =48
    Critical confirmation, if needed: (1d20+33)[49]
    Damage: ( (1d8)[1]+(1d6+7)[8] ) Nonlethal + (1d6)[1] acid. +1 stance = 10 nonlethal, 1 acid

Attack 2: (1d20+24)[34] +1 stance =35
    Critical confirmation, if needed: (1d20+28)[39]
    Damage: ( (1d8)[5] + (1d6+7)[11] ) Nonlethal + (1d6)[5] acid. +1 stance =17 nonlethal, 5 acid

Attack 3: (1d20+19)[39] +1 stance= 40
    Critical confirmation, if needed: (1d20+23)[41] +1 stance = 42
    Damage: ( (1d8)[4] + (1d6+7)[11] ) Nonlethal + (1d6)[1] acid. +1 stance =16 nonlethal, 1 acid
    Crit damage= 22 nonlethal
    Total = 38 nonlethal, 1 acid

Spoiler: Effects/math
    Show

Attack: 20base +2 bracers, +1 magic, +1 weapon focus, +1 haste, +4 eternal training (+3 knowledge devotion instead if not human). =+29/24/19

Damage: +1d6 merciful, +1d6 acid, +1 haste, +1 bracers, +1 magic +4 eternal training= +7
    Attacks this round overcome DR, arrows are silver again.
    Still in blood in the water stance, effects apply upon a critical.
    Edit: Current blood in the water bonus after this round = +2 attack and damage.

Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2018-12-13 at 08:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178

Kalir

Walking down the stairs to give his wings a brief break he takes in another scene of carnage. Only two bodies mattered at the moment- the two still showing signs of life. The closer one kneeling in pain. The farther one also doing badly... Sir Ilven? It was then the farther figure fired a volley of arrows with such speed and accuracy it could not be any other but him. The biggest question was it the helguard that had really fallen to bloodlust?

Kalir half jumped half flew onto the top of a statue closer to them and landed softly to avoid damaging the statue. Still invisible he took in the view from a different angle. He called out so the farther one could hear him as he kept his visual focus somewhere between the figures to watch for any movement from either. "Helguard! This is Kalir, Royal Guard. Hold your fire! The man is down. Who is that?"

Show
    Move to the group of statues to the NNE, row 32, standing on the lower right statue, more so on its left side. The screenshot doesn't show me column labels.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

@Ilven: What would drive a man to commit murder in such a way?

If he is indeed the one responsible behind that little girl's mother's disappearance and her body is around this graveyard... how do you tell a child such grim news? You and your Order committed themselves to dispose of the filth beyond the City so this one would remain untainted. In that regard, the Helguard was incredibly effective. So much that there is no need for you anymore.

And as the arrows fly through the fog filled Tomb and strike the coughing mad man in his death throes, one strikes him right between the eyes as he coughs blood in copious amounts and keels over in a pool of blood, exhaling a gout of cold breath for the last time.

It's over. Threat neutralized. Confirm the kill and report to the Captain. The old Adage rings true even tonight. Some things are just hard to forget.

@Kalir: Carnage seems to be the main theme tonight.

First Halmathan streets are painted red. Now, Oedon's Tomb. Hard to tell how many dead ones are scattered around with all this fog, but if there were two standing, only one is at this point, as Helguard Selma shows why he is called The Arrow of God and puts that man down.

Whatever happened here, it wasn't pretty. It still isn't. The smell of blood is fresh and pungent- the old elf did not have an easy fight and he does not look in top shape as he rests his body against an old cracked gravestone, painting it red.

And just so he knows that you are here, since your ring is active, you call out to the Old legend and perch yourself atop an old angel statue. Unseen but very much heard.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Finally a good hit! Perhaps he wasn’t quite done yet...and a voice comes out of nowhere, shattering Ilvan’s focus. Kalir... who was that again?

And he doesn’t know this man’s identity, not really, but it shouldn’t matter, in Ilvan’s opinion. He struggles to make himself heard, having just stopped sprinting.

”That is a frothing murderer with an axe! Don’t trust that he’s down.”

As he speaks, Ilvan turns the dial on his belt again, trying to stop bleeding out now that the madman is not an immediate threat.
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2018-12-13 at 11:23 PM.