The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

Songbird went over to check out the aforementioned dancing game, resolving to try it out while Reggie busied himself with the call. He retrieved a quarter from his pocket, putting it into the slot before selecting a song whose title appealed to him. Finally, he started dancing, taking a while to get familiar with the game before getting into the groove of it.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm guessing Athletics + Dexterity would be the appropriate dice-pool? Either that or Expression, I would guess.

Athletics 4 + Dexterity 4 = 8
    (8d10)[8][9][6][5][5][9][8][3](53)
    10-Again: (8d10)[8][9][1][5][7][8][5][6](49)

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Perhaps Songbird after his long durance had never quiet seen a contraption like an arcade machine, and he had never ever played the game "Dance Dance Revolution", but somehow he found he was quiet the natural at the game.

(OOC: Any chance you want to try a WP dice to roll an additional 3d10 to shoot for an exceptional success, as Songbird has 4/5 succesesqs now???)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #693
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show

Aw, what the heck-... Sure~

(3d10)[5][9][9](23)
    10-Again: (3d10)[4][9][9](22)

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: Roll Resolution
    Show
    Spending 1 WP, dropping to 4/5 WP, Songbird makes 6 successes. That is more than an exceptional success!

Despite his lack of experience, Songbird runs through the game like it were on "super easy" mode. Colorful explosions light the screen every time the Changeling successfully chains together a series of well timed steps, and when the song is finally over, "High Score!" flashes over and over in bright golden lettering. The machine's monitor cuts from the neon dancefloor to a list of high scores, where Songbird's flashes at the top, above a a series of runner up scores all attributed to"Fred'DKing".

The boy at the counter actually stumbles around to come up behind Songbird, jaw slack. He whistles and under his breath says, "Holy ****."
    Show

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Reggy smiled, truely life was stranger than fiction 'Well first of all it might interest you to know my acquaintance just thrashed your score at...' He paused to read the name, then stopped to re read it. Suppressing a sigh he went on 'Dance Dance Revolution? That can't be right...
    'Anyway as pressing as I'm sure that is, we need to talk, privately, now.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The mention of Songbird's success seemed to draw Freddy's attention more acutely than anything that Reggie has mentioned prior. "What do you mean thrashed my score?" the man suddenly howled into the receiver, adding "that's not possible!" The rest of Reggie's words were apparently lost on Freddy, who was now practically yelling into the phone, "I don't believe you. I have to see if for myself. Don't you or your little friend go anywhere!"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

'Oh we're not going anywhere' Reggy said suppressing a smile, this really was too easy 'In fact they're moving on to... House of the Dead? Who comes up with these names? You have any high scores on that one your majesty?'

To the others he silently mouthed 'He's on his way.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Sebastian registered Reggie’s words with a sense of certainty, beginning to pace between the machines, his focus on the doorway.

“What is the plan when he gets here? If we have one. We don’t need one. We can always...improvise. I have some ideas.”

9. - Top - End - #699
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Heh-... Woo!" Songbird panted a little as the high score notification pops up, looking back to the kid as he wiped the sweat away from his forehead. "Does that mean I win? Do I get a prize?"

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The arcade employee shakes his head, clearly still dumbstruck by Songbird's performance. "Uh, well you can get your photo on the wall if you'd like."

On the phone Freddy shrieks in reply, "Don't you go anywhere! I'm on my way." He's so loud that the others can here the shrill reply as if the phone were on speaker, before the line goes dead.

It's almost another forty five minutes before Freddy arrives at the arcade (OOC: Feel free to describe what your characters have been doing in the interim if you wish). He is a Darkling with mottled dark purple skin, pointed bat ears, and needle like teeth in a small mouth hidden by an unruly beard. He is thin and short, and his Mask shows a kid maybe a few years out of college, who somehow managed to hold onto the uncoordinated and lanky movements of a thirteen year old.

When Freddy enters the room, his eyes narrow as they focus on Reggy and the group of Changelings. His big round eyes catch the light of the arcade machines, causing them to momentarily flash a bright yellow as he stalks across the room. "What's all this about?" he demands, coming near chest to chest with Reggie, though he's a good head shorter. Big Tom does not even bother stepping forward to help defend his ally.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Reggy smiles brightly 'Well the good news is we didn't beat your score on House of the Dead. The bad is... well, it's pretty bad.' He moves in closer and lowers his voice, the smile fading alongside any warmth in his voice 'You said no to someone very important. Commendable, if I may say so. But we need to know why.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Darkling's long ears twitch, as if in annoyance and Freddy says, "I don't know what you are talking about man." But he takes a step back from Reggy, his eyes darting from one Changeling to the next with sudden fear.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

'Now now,' said Reggy in a warning tone 'We're all friends here, nobody wants to hurt you. But you see Tom, that's my large friend there with the huge vorpal blade, he really wants to know about this and he can be quite persistent.
    'It would be easier for all of us if you just spilled the beans. You said no to the Domino, what did he want and why didn't you give it?'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Freddy's eyes fall to the ground, and he mumbles under his breath, "Jeez, I can't win, can I?" When he looks back up there is a disdainful scowl on his face. His eyes move from Reggy to the arcade staffer, who is now sitting back at his desk. When his gaze returns, Freddy says, "Perhaps we can go somewhere a little more private to talk about this?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #705
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Uh-..." Songbird spent a few moments thinking things over after the employee offered to put his picture up on the wall. "Sure. Gotta take whatever fame I can get."

He spent the forty-five minutes going through the process of getting his face on the wall, then tried out the aforementioned House of the Dead, though he didn't meet with as much success with that one. Eventually, he rejoined the rest of the group to await the Darkling gamer.

"Oh man-... He's actually kind of adorable." Songbird spoke softly, his Mask smirking as Freddy approached, then allowed Reggy to take charge of the conversation, only chiming in after the Darkling suggested finding a more private place to talk. "What did you have in mind? The Hedge?"
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-11-30 at 08:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Freddy scowls at Songbird, sudden rage taking fire in the Darkling's eyes. "You're the one who supposedly beat my record," Freddy hisses, pointing a finger at Songbird and seeming to suddenly forget the need to leave the arcade. He crosses his arms over his chest and says, "Why don't you prove it to me before we go ANYWHERE!"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #707
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Well, there's my face on the wall." The avian changeling pointed over to where his photo had been put up. "And if you wanna check the high scores, you'll find 'Songbird' at the top."

"But I'm guessing that's not enough, is it? You want to try goin' two player, don't ya'?" Songbird chuckled a little bit at that. "Well, if that's what you want, then how about we make a bet. If I win, you answer all my questions truthfully. If you win, I'll leave and won't never come back to your little 'arcade kingdom'. Sound good to you?"

Spoiler
    Show

Could I roll Manipulation + Subterfuge to try and trick him into not noticing that Songbird said 'I', rather than 'we'? I'll put in a Willpower, too.
    Manipulation 2 + Subterfuge 0 + 3 Willpower Dice + 1 for Unskilled = 4

(4d10)[6][8][8][5](27)
    10-Again: (4d10)[9][4][7][1](21)

Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-11-30 at 07:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Freddy raises an eyebrow at Songbird's proposal, after pulling his eyes away from the "Wall of Champions", and shakes his head, "Are you proposing a Pledge to seal this?" His eyes dart from Songbird, to Reggie, to Sebastian to Big Tom, then Freddy crosses his arms across his chest defiantly. "I have a better idea", he says with a growl, "I tell you trolls nothing, and you four go **** yourselves." Failing to meet Big Tom's gaze, Freddy adds, "What are you going to do, chop me down here in this arcade? I don't owe you anything!"

Big Tom steps forward, his voice booming, "That can be arranged!"

The arcade serviceman is now staring at the group, mouth slightly agape.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Songbird's WP is now 3/5. Unfortunately, his roll fails after factoring in Freddy's Composure
    Show

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Reggy grit his teeth and stepped forward smartly, placing himself between Freddy and the oncoming Tom. Placing a hand on Freddy's shoulder and leaning close Reggy spoke low and urgently 'No need to make a mess in your back garden, we mean no harm. We're not here to make some subtle threat, we're not exposing you or running you out. We're here because it's the only place we knew to find you.
    'Freddy, you did something either very brave or very stupid, or both I suppose. That means we have enemies in common now. What do you say we help each other out?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Presence+Persuasion (Charming)
    (7d10)[9][3][6][5][1][2][9](35)
    10 again
    (7d10)[1][7][6][2][8][7][1](32)
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

20. - Top - End - #710
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Sebastian, having been quiet til this point, speaks up, but low and very calm.

“Time isn’t on our sides. Just tell us what we want to know. We don’t want to cause anyone any hassle...but, we can also absolutely ruin everything. We can reduce this one little kingdom to nothing. We can make every machine, every power line, every coin a curse unto itself. Posture and compete however you need, but if we do not walk out with information...”

He trails off, letting the implication settle.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Freddy practically bares his fangs at Sebastian, his lips pulling back to reveal fine needle like teeth. But when he turns back to Reggy there is a degree of civility, though he still growls, "Very well. DDR can wait... but not here. " His yellow eyes dart back to the boy staring at the counter, then back to the group before he says, "let's just go somewhere with a little more privacy."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

'Good man,' said Reggy, finally relaxing 'A private audience with the King, yes, very good... Lead on.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

If there was any indication that Tom was disappointed in not being able to spill Freddy’s blood, it didn’t show on his face. Instead, he simply tucked his hands back into his pockets and prepared to follow the rest of the Motley to their next destination. Privacy was good. It meant less prying eyes if it did come to violence.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Freddy casts one last furtive glance over at the counter boy before saying, "Follow me." If allowed, Freddy leads the group deeper into the arcade, rather than out the door. The space is a surprisingly labyrinthine maze of flashing screens and large garishly painted consoles. The Darkling stops in front of a sad looking wooden door labelled "Broom Closet", and says, "This is one of my Hollows, if you will follow me in."

He opens the door, stepping into the darkness. The Motley follow Freddy in, stepping into... a slightly larger than expected broom closet. The ceiling is high enough for Tom to enter without having to squat; though he does have to slouch to keep from grinding his head against the ceiling. And the space is just big enough to accommodate all six Changelings, though they are forced to stand practically shoulder to shoulder, squeezed between an assortment of brooms and mops. The space smells of mold and dank soil, and far off the group can hear goblins laughing, the sound like the tinkling of warped bells. Once the door is closed, Freddy says, "Okay, we should be safe here." He crosses his arms against his chest, the action forcing him to (possibly) accidentally rib Sebastian, before saying, "Now what exactly have you heard?"
    Show