New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

The Harvest King's skull face seems to leer at Sebastian's blubbering, though it lacks the appropriate tissues needed to do so. He basks in Sebastian's fear, letting the wizend's terrors wash over him like the warm waves of water from a shower. Then Jack O'Lanter raises a hand, silencing his companion. "The woman you speak of is a liar, and a dangerous one at that. It is a shame that she found her way into her home. " His words are cold and hard, like the brick of an unused hearth in November. He lets his words hang in the now still air, black orbits staring deep into Sebastian's soul. After the long silence, Jack O'Lantern lays both hands flat on the table, leaning ever so slightly forward, head inclined just ever so towards Sebastian. "What became of this woman who appeared in your house? Where did she go?" asks Jack O'Lantern, Death's mask still staring at Sebastian without emotion.

(OOC: Sebastian will have an additional -1 to any subterfuge rolls here on top of Jack's -3 composure.)

************************************************** *************************************

"Sheeet," Skydog says with a long chuckle after Songbird's proposition, "as long as I don't have to pay." He shrugs, nodding positively towards Songbird as he saunters off towards the only other patrons in the bar.

As he approaches, Songbird is greeted by sincere applause from the teenagers. Their approval washes over Songbird, filling the avian Changeling with a growing sense of admiration and approval. The glamour washes into Songbird like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter night, though perhaps if he were more sober The Changeling would have been able to gather more.

The young girl with the faded pink hair rises from her seat to throw an arm over Songbird's shoulder. She pecks him one on the cheek, her face warm and red with drink and excitement and and Songbird's spell. "I dig it," she says with a chuckle.

(OOC: With some poor rolling, Reggie regains 1 Glamour, and now has 7/10)

************************************************** ************************************

The big man looks at Tom, fear giving way to confusion very very slowly. He shakes his head in the negative at Tom's question. "I... I didn't here nothing," he blubbers sincerely, hands still raised at ear level, and adds, "I swear."

(OOC: So Portaling through a door will always take a Changeling to the same location in the Hedge. And portaling through that "door" in the Hedge will always take you back to the same spot.)

************************************************** *************************************

Dr. Sholas grins at Reggie's offer; it's the grin of someone who knows they've got one up on their companion. She replies, "Thank you Reggie, I do have your number, and you certainly came quickly for me today." Her smile broadens, a slight rosy flush spreading in her cheeks at her own "possible" double entendre.

(OOC: I'm okay ending this scene unless there's more you want to add Ladorak)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-09-03 at 07:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

“Is there some danger from her? What did she do? She went to someone named Annie. What’s going on?”

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

With a growl, Tom takes a singular step back from the blubbering man.

”I am…sorry to have troubled you. My friend is in trouble.”

Then, without further pomp or conversation, the Ogre turns and retreats out the door into the alley once more. He pulls the door closed behind him with some force, hoping to deter the man from following; even if the man had been able to muster enough courage to overcome his fear of the Ogre.

Having stepped back into the alley, Tom looks once more to the now-closed door and focuses his gaze upon it – willing the veil to part and, hopefully, allow him passage into the Hedge beyond. He had wasted far too much time already and the Ogre was afraid the trail would grow cold.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sorry, Benno. I’m realizing I need to really sit down and read through Changeling again. There’s a lot of nuance I’m struggling with a bit. If I’m misunderstanding, I’ll edit the post.

Thanks for the patience!

"Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

4. - Top - End - #574
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird offered a thumbs up to Skydog as he turned his attention to the other patrons, taking a moment to just sort of bask in the approval of the young group. He was surprised when the pink-haired girl came forward to peck him on the cheek, not to mention somewhat confused as to how to feel. She seemed too young to let this go any further than a simple kiss on the cheek-... Besides, he still wasn't entirely sure how he should feel about that sort of stuff since his transformation. Still, at the very least he could use this opportunity to make more human friends.

"Uh-... Thanks." The avian changeling said, deciding to take it in stride, trying neither to lead her on nor push her away. "Figured I couldn't leave without-... Without a show, y'know? Sorry about-... Earlier. Old wounds, I guess."

"So, uh, might I ask your name?" Songbird turns to the girl, before gesturing to the rest of the group. "Your's and your friends', of course."
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-09-05 at 09:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy shot her a look equal parts knowing and wicked, but decided against pushing any further, at least for now. He had enough on his plate already after all, and as enjoyable as it would undoubtedly be he simply couldn't give Joline Sholas the time and attention she deserved 'Good night again, doctor, try to get some rest, I'll take care of this.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jack O'Lantern lets Sebastians stream of questions wash over him. However, near the end his voices rises to cut The Wizend's voice off. "She went to The Black Widow?" his voice barely rising beyond a whisper, but crackling with rage like the heated coals in a fire. There is a drawn out moment of silence, thin and tight like a heated metal wire. Then The Harvest King throws his head back and laughs, his maw nothing but a black abyss just like his dark eyes.

Suddenly, Jack O'Lantern rises, his metal chair scraping the pavement with a loud screech. "Very well," Jack says, his voice filled with mirth, "I guess it is Annie who I shall have to see next." He says one last thing to Sebastian, the threat felt like the point of a dagger pressed under Sebastian's ribs, "I will tell her you send your regards."

With that there was a gust of wind kicking up sudden and hard, blowing napkins and even small plates off tables, and throwing an impossible amount of dust suddenly into Sebastian's eyes. By the time The Wizend is able to see again, The Harvest King is gone, his only trace being the cold shiver that still ran up and down Sebastian's spine.

(OOC: I can end the epilogue here, unless you want to have Sebastian do anything else. I have one question for you, does this interaction tell Sebastian anything about the Hallow's Eve Contract?)

The chef only whimpers as Tom exits the bar's kitchen. He drags the door closed behind him, the big metal shield screeching with protest as its corner drags across the tile floor. Then, with memories of Arcadia dancing through his head, Tom pushes back through the door, and into The Hedge.

Unlike the swampland that Tom had traversed just hours ago, the Snowskin finds himself standing in a tall vine covered maze. Tom was a big man, but the walls of this labyrinth dwarfed him, all gothic brickwork and wild blooming ivy.

But Tom has no time to take in the obscene and beautiful world around him. There is a ripple of high pitched shrieks, and suddenly The Black Knight finds himself besset by a mob of green skinned goblins. The Hedge beasts barely come up to Tom's knees. Their flesh is a pale cyanotic blue covered only by burlap loin cloths. The things have long hook noses, pointy teeth, and cat-like yellow eyes. Some carry rusted knives, others old garden sheers, or fire pokers. They fall upon Big Tom, not waiting for an explanation, charging as if they had been waiting for his arrival with mad, reckless abandon

(OOC: So I want to resolve this in one contested roll, rather than going through a whole combat. If you want Tom to fight them off, give me a Str + Brawl Roll, if you want to attempt some other outcome, please explain it and give me what you think is an appropriate roll.

Also, your interpretation was correct, and there is nothing to apologize for. At the end of the day, these games should be run from the perspective of saying "I want to do this, what rules allow me to do it". Tom uses one Glamour to portal, and now has 8/10.)

The girl quickly releases Songbird, her face still read, the grin on her face, but now wearing a confused self-conscious awareness. "Uh, I'm Evey," the girl says, growing redder in the face.

The others at the table introduce themselves, their names washing over and passing through Songbird in his drunken future, not a single name taking purchase in his brain. The group still seems enthusiastic about the performance, but are slowly finding Songbird's spell wearing off. Still, the guy who was pounding his beer mug offers Songbird a confused but sincere "Thank you" to Songbird for the song.

"Have a good evening Reggie," the doctor says, "Thank you again for coming."

(OOC: I'm good ending the scene here unless there is something else you want to accomplish. I assume at some point you want to Dream Walk into the dreams of the caterers, but I'm concerned that that will take up more time than we have for these epilogues. Perhaps we can chat in the OOC thread or via PM about how to accomplish this... maybe get the other PCs involved to help Reggie, or resolve everything in Spoiler boxes???)
    Show

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

There was a sense of rightness that settled upon the Ogre as he slipped into the Hedge; it felt like home. The thought repulsed Tom, for he dimly recalled the horrors he had committed here in the past.

And was about to commit again.

The goblins had made two primary mistakes. The first had been troubling one of Tom’s companions.
    The second…had been much worse. They had drawn steel against the Ogre.

And now, like before, the Black Knight had come.

His Hedgespun sword, now free of its mundane mask of normalcy, was held aloft before him. The ever-bloody blade dripped constantly to the road he found himself on. It was a masterful weapon, the blade long and straight and hidden beneath the bloody flux was an engraving.

Wele! Cleddyf du gwaedlyd brenhines y tylwyth teg.

The Black Knight stepped forward, and began his bloody work.

Show

Being attacked in the Hedge is far too much like his past duties. It’s not likely Tom would leave more than one alive, and then only to find out where Imere was hidden (assuming the goblins were responsible). He may feel guilt over it later, but this is what Tom used to do.

Strength 4 + Weaponry 4 (Sword Specialization 2)

(10d10)[2][5][10][2][2][3][1][8][3][10](46)

Not sure if it’s as important at the moment, but the sword grants +1L damage and +2 Initiative and +2 Speed (giving Tom a 7 Initiative and a speed of 12 while drawn). More for reference that despite his size, this is exactly what the Black Knight excels at.

Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-09-06 at 01:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It was tough and bloody work. Tom was exhausted from the entire day's proceedings, and maybe the Changeling was going a little soft. When he had been in Arcadia, he would have had NO trouble dispatching these Goblins, but now it was a real fight.

Still, the Goblins were no true match for The Dark Knight. Tom had taken a few nicks, and wasn't proud of how hard he had to fight, but it was only a matter of minute before four goblins were dead, and the other two had split down different paths to disappear into the maze.

(OOC: Tie goes to the runner with each side getting 3 successes)
    Show

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird stays for a while to interact with his new fans, but as their enthusiasm dies down, he grows a little more quiet and reserved. After they offered their thanks, he decided it was about time to say goodnight. He considered asking the group if they knew where to find a battery-charger for the device he had discovered, but decided against it. He was tired and figured it would be best if he got a good amount of sleep before meeting with Kitsune on the morrow-... Though he might still have to deal with an unpleasant hangover.
    He said his farewells to the group, before starting on his way back home.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Spoilers would probably be best. Reggy will set up a meeting with the caterers, charm, bribe or blackmail anyone he can at city hall and give the night revelers a call.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

11. - Top - End - #581

Beholder

Sebastian sat at the table, nearly in tears as was his usual way after intense conversations. He ran the events back over in his mind. Though he was annoyed with himself, frankly, beyond annoyed, he hadn’t had any other choice. He couldn’t have stood up more, not to the King. Not then, anyway.

He took out his cellphone, that abhorrent device, and he sent a message to the rest of the motley via text.

>Dear Companions,
    I may have done something bad. But, I think I learned something. Please meet me back at the house, and go straight to my Hollow. Sincerely, Sebastian

Fear was supposed to keep people safe. Fear wasn’t supposed to sacrifice others. Sebastian felt in his gut the truth about the Contract. It would have to be broken.

And if the King needed to fall to make that happen, then so be it.

Show

Using my informed condition, can I formulate a way that the contract could be broken?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

That the majority of the goblins had perished was not as pleasing as it should have been for Tom. He was more focused on the fact that two had gotten away. He cast his black eyes around the small clearing they ambushed him in, searching for any sign of Imere having come this way.

A scrap of clothing. A tattered bit of skin or spatter of blood that hadn’t been spilled by him only moments before.

Show

Wits 2 + Composure 3

(5d10)[5][4][10][5][1](25)

If there was nothing to be found, the Ogre would bound off after one of the remaining two goblins. They may have split up, but Tom was confident he’d be able to overtake even one.

Show

Strength 4 + Athletics 3

(7d10)[2][10][7][6][1][9][3](38)

Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-09-10 at 03:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tom paused momentarily, surveying the immediate area. At first he thought he would find nothing, and was resolving himself to chasing off after the goblins. Then, just when he was about to give up hope, a shred of cloth hanging in the vines caught Tom's eyes. The fabric was skewered on a thorn that seemed to grow from the thick and unnatural ivy lining the maze. It was tan, made of what looked like a polyester/cotton blend, and almost certainly belonged to the trench coat of the lizard man Typhon.

Spoiler: @All
    Show
    Please see the OOC thread where I tallied up everyone's XP. I again pose to the group where we want to start off, though Sebastian has texted the group to meet him back at the Motley's apartment building in the CBD. Please let me know if you are spending any XP or updating aspirations as well.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Lowering his bloody sword, Tom’s massive hand reached out to carefully pluck the scrap of cloth from the thorn and held it up for closer scrutiny. Bringing it to his nose, the Ogre gave it a tentative sniff before growling.

”The wyrm….of course. Had that I ended his wretched life at the door.”

The Ogre folded the scrap of cloth and carefully tucked it into his jacket after returning his blade to its rest. Knowing he would find no further answers here, the Black Knight began to retrace his steps through the Hedge back to the portal he’d entered through.

Along the way, while he kept one eye open for further attacks, he pulled his phone from his pocket and frowned as he saw the message from Sebastian. Massive shoulders slumped with a heavy sigh.

We are beset on all sides it seems.

The Ogre paused in his stride for a moment to send a quick response to all those of his Motley.

<<Imere has been abducted. I am on the way. More answers when I arrive.>>

Speed would still be of the essence, especially if Sebastian has exacerbated the brewing troubles.

And so Tom ran on, like the inevitable onslaught of winter.

15. - Top - End - #585

Beholder

Sebastian returned to his Hollow and entered, uncorking a bottle of wine and filling a glass. He would need more than one tonight. He also put on a kettle for his motley when they arrived...if they would still be his motley after this. He frowned. He was tired. It would be a long conversation.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Act 1 Scene ii

Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine,
    Meltin' in a pot of thieves,
    Wild card up my sleeve,
    Thick heart of stone,
    My sins my own,
    They belong to me,
    Me

-Patti Smith, Gloria

Despite the terrible exhaustion of the day, the euthanasia of Arthur Pengrove, the quest through The Hedge and The Dreamroads, and the return home... the day still was not over. At least, the alcohol was finally starting to wear off, bringing a heavy weight to this reality.

By now, everyone had received Sebastian's text message imploring them to meet him back at the Motley's apartment in the CBD, and Tom's announcement of Imere's abduction. And so the crew of Lost slowly trickled "home" to discuss further.

Sebastian's Hollow was a fantasy library straight out of Beauty and The Beast's castle. Ceiling high bookshelves lined the space. Sebastian had prepared tea, and opened a bottle of Pinot Noir to greet his weary friends. Imere's absence was felt by all.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

'The house has never felt more quiet then it did as I walked through it.' said Reggy softly, he gave a slight shudder at the thought of returning to it 'Tom, please tell us everything you know.'
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom stood still and silent, like a watchful – and imposing – statue as he let his dark gaze sweep across the collection of Sebastian’s books. A thick finger brushed along the spine of one tome with a gentleness unbecoming of a giant such as he. When he registered Sebastian’s words, he turned his back on the books and eyed his Motley with a flat expression.

”Imere and I had parted ways. Just.” He began slowly, and the emotion he must have been feeling was trickling through the icy exterior lending a weight and depth to his voice like that of grinding, cracking glaciers. ”I was sent a simple message of Help, so I followed her path to a portal into the Hedge. Glamour had masked it well, but when I forced through I was beset by goblins. Most met their end there. Two fled. But…I found…this….” Tom said, and pulled a small scrap of carefully folded cloth from his pocket. A stride or two was all it took to bring Tom closer, where he dropped the cloth onto the table before the others.

It was a scrap of Typhon’s jacket.

”This was a part of the wyrm, caught up on the thorns of the Hedge. Would that I had butchered the dragonling for his hide upon our first meeting.” The Ogre growled out.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird took a while to find Sebastian's Hollow, but eventually made his way there, still tired from the previous day. He stared at the books as he made his way through the library, wondering what stories they held within, but didn't let it distract him from looking for the rest of the group. He arrived just in time to hear Tom's explanation.

"The wyrm? Uh, I guess that's that scaled guy you guys mentioned-... Yeah?" The avian changeling suddenly looked very grim, glancing over to Sebastian for a moment, before turning his attention back to Tom. "We-... We can't just let them take her! Do you know where they might be holding her? They-... They wouldn't send her back across the Hedge would they?"

20. - Top - End - #590

Beholder

“They are probably going to deal with her after they have dealt with Annie. The King of Autumn is involved in this, and not publicly. If he were involved publicly, in a way he didn’t care to hide...I’d probably be dead. Or worse. Typhon is his agent, one of many. If we can get to Annie before them...maybe we could delay them. I’m...sorry. I caved in. I’m not...not a good liar, I’m afraid.”

Sebastian stared at the floor for a while.

“We may not be able to find Imere, but what if we tried to find that dreadful...internet...persona she made? Could we not enlist the aid of her ‘followers’?”

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy slowly turned to Sebastian, his face a mask, his tone too perfectly flat to be genuine 'What did you tell the King of Autumn Seb?'
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #592

Beholder

“He...asked where Kitsune went. I told him. I’m not proud of it, but it’s what happened.”

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

”They spirited Imere into the depths of the Hedge, and I suspect it was the wyrm who left the Goblins to waylay any who followed. It has been far too long that I have walked those thorny trails. I am unsure if I would be able to track her as I once could have.” Tom said gruffly, the apology thick on his tongue. The disappointment in himself he was not able to catch up to them and save her.

”I do not think that her…followers….would be of much help. But perhaps we could put some feelers out, regardless. I am of half a mind to throttle the life from the King of Autumn for this affront.” One of his large hands rest on the hilt of his blade idly, thumb tracing the intricate detals across the pommel. The blade had tasted the glamoured blood of those Goblins and hungered for more.

”Perhaps there is a hollow they have spirited her off to. All wyrm’s have a lair, and I suspect Typhon would be no different.”

There was no recrimination nor reproach towards Sebastian. The Ogre was well aware of the compulsions that could be laid upon the mind.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

'Imere will have to wait,' said Reggy in clipped tones 'She's stuck in no man's land, we stick our heads over the trench we're liable to have them blown off for our troubles. I'm not saying we should abandon her but this smells like a trap to me. We should focus on Annie, save who we can while we can.'
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird looked away after Sebastian admitted he had told the Autumn King where Kitsune went, taking a moment to keep himself under control. If he was angry, it didn't clearly show.

"I'd hoped I could catch some z's and deal with all this when I was nice and hungover, but-..." The avian changeling sighs at that. "If we act fast, we might be able to save everyone. Right?"

26. - Top - End - #596

Beholder

“If it makes any difference, I’m going to find a way to hurt the Autumn King. I don’t know how yet.”

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

”You do not need to sully yourself by hurting the Autumn King, my friend.” Tom said with a deep baritone growl. ”I will do that will a great deal of relish.” He paused for a moment or two. ”Is it decided then? First we seek out Annie, then Imere?”

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"If that's okay with you guys." Songbird sighs at that."Unless you would rather we split up? Go after both at the same time?"

29. - Top - End - #599

Beholder

“Annie first. Whatever happens to her is on my hands.”

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

"We have a consensus, then?" Tom asked, quietly looming off to the side of the little Motley gathering. "We will search out Annie on the morrow?"