New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

Frantic fumbling was the last thing they needed from Freddy. It would only endanger his life, as well as their own. If whomever was lurking in the shadows, pulling strings and scheming, saw people start to up and disappear, they may be more inclined to scrutinize his Motley a bit closer than was appropriate for the time.

So, Tom simply took a single step to the side to place his considerable frame in front of the door.

"You are as safe as you can be with my companions and I here. Do not be a fool. If your hands are truly clean in all this, then why pass up the extra hands? Just answer us a few more questions and we will be out of your way and you can scurry off."
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #722
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird went quiet after his attempt to pressure Freddy into betting ended in failure, sure that whatever else he said would make things more difficult for his fellows. He silently followed with the rest of the group when Freddy resolved to lead them to his Hollow and dutifully played the recording when Reggy prompted him to do so.

"Look, man-... I respect that you refused to do what they asked. Despite everything, you seem like a decent guy." The avian changeling spoke up after the Darkling started trying to push past the group and Tom blocked the door. "If you stick with us, you'll be safer. If you help us-... Maybe we can figure out a way to fix this whole mess."

Songbird looked to Reggy to back him up on this.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm willing to roll Presence + Persuade, but I'm guessing there would be a penalty for pissing him off before? Reggy could also try-... Can you use Teamwork with Persuasion?

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

'Songbird is right Freddy,' said Reggy, the seriousness of his words feeling strange in his mouth, no jest could cut through the tension in this cramped stuffy room, no joke or winning smile would ease Freddy's nerves. For a man able to seamlessly fit into almost any social group on the planet it was a uniquely disquieting experience 'Run if you have to, you're not the first runner we've warned today. But they're coming after you regardless. The more information you can give us the better we can cover your tracks.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Sebastian looks around at the group, musing out loud more than anything. It was beginning to play out like a movie. He didn’t much care for movies. They never ended the right way.

“Can you...rethink your decision? Can you call your...’contact’ and let them know you’ve changed your mind?”

He looks around at what would probably be hostile responses, especially given his incongruous statements. He raises a hand by way of explanation.

“I don’t mean for real...I mean as a ploy. Get the child. We can come up with something for *that*...and turn them over. Maybe we can find out more? It’d be a fake child or something...”

Dark thoughts crept into Sebastian’s mind. He knew they’d all think the same thing. A tingling of the book in his Hollow also resonated with him. Was there something in there? His next words were very low.

“What we need...is to make a fetch...”

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Each Changeling's plea only seems to serve to heighten Freddy's anxiety till he finally explodes, snarling as Sebastian starts to talk about making a Fetch, "You don't understand. None of you freaking understand! I'm not safe, and these guys are dangerous. However bad you think your Keeper was, Creed and his goons are just as dangerous. I don't know a hell of a lot, but I know that."

Freddy pushes his way pas the others, stumbling again over a wet mop, though this time he doesn't hit the ground. He turns back to the Motley rather than fleeing though, and adds, "But I don't know anything more. I swear. I've made it this far in New Orleans by knowing who not to cross, and that's pretty much everyone at the top. But I don't know what they wanted with a little kid... I... I only knew I wasn't gonna get them one." With that, Freddy reaches an arm out for the door of the broom closet.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, I will give one character one shot to stall/convince Freddy with a successful social roll. It will be at a -3 modifier though. No assistance, one character, one roll... so choose wisely.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ogre shook his head in disgust, stepping aside to allow Freddy to pass him by and exit. If there was some way to parlay with the Darkling, it certainly wasn't going to come from Tom. Though, a solid punch might be enough to slow him down.

But violence wasn't always the answer.

Show

Not from Tom it isn't. Social skills are not his forte.

7. - Top - End - #727

Beholder

Show
    social rolls are not Sebastian’s either, sadly. I will yield.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Think I've got the highest
    4+2-3=3
    (3d10)[7][4][7](18)
    10-again
    (3d10)[1][4][10](15)

Shoot

Reggy puts his hand on Freddy's shoulder as he moves to get past 'Freddy, I know you're scared, but we have to know everything if we're going to fight this.'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-12-11 at 11:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Freddy looks up at Reggy, pulling back just slightly when the Flowering Fairest reaches out a hand. His lips curl back like a dog's to reveal rows of thin needle like fangs.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Not to slow things down, but you can throw a WP at it for 3d10 or alternatively take a dramatic failure for a beat.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Why not? Make it a dramatic
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Freddy backs away from Reggie and the other Changelings, his posture suddenly changing as he goes bolt upright, his short fur bristling. "I've told you enough!" Freddy snarls, fangs still showing. He steps up to the door and opens it; but instead of exiting he turns back to the group and says, "Now get out of my Hollow, all of you!" There is now true malice in the Darkling's eyes as the flashing lights of the arcade pour into the over sized broom closet. From his very demeanor, you can tell that Freddy has had enough, and won't be cooperative any further.

Show
    Reggy gains a beat and is now at 3 xp.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-12-14 at 09:41 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #732
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird sighed at that, looking regretful as he made his way out of the Hollow.

"Good luck, Freddy."

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom remained dispassionately out of Freddy’s way, and followed Songbird out of the Hollow with a shrug of his massive shoulders and a hushed grumble on his lips.

”That could have gone worse.” The Ogre eventually said, hands tucked into his pants pockets. ”At least we know more than we did before, aye?

14. - Top - End - #734
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Yeah, I guess-..." Songbird retrieved his guitar and idly started strumming a melancholy song as he walked along. "Feels like I'm to blame for antagonising the kid earlier. Sorry 'bout that."

"So, what's our next move?"
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-12-17 at 06:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom was silent for a few moments as he pondered Songbird’s apology.

At last, when he spoke, his voice was deep and measured – and a little distant – as if playing through old memories in his head.

”The most effective way of hunting and trapping an enemy is to harry them to the point where they will make a mistake in haste and anger.” The Ogre said. ”Antagonism, then, has a place in the arsenal. Always.”

How many Changelings and hobgoblins had made a fatal flaw as the Black Knight had harried them through the Hedge? How many drops of blood had been spilled by his blade in such a way?

It was doubtful Tom even remembered them all.

"As to our next move, I suggest we pursue our other leads. And perhaps we could look into missing children? I am reluctant to believe Freddy was the only one our quarry had asked to do such a thing."

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

'None of that now,' said Reggy to Songbird, a smile sick with worry fixed upon his face 'Many more mistakes to be made before we're done with this. If we stop for apologies every step of the way we'll never make it. Freddy told us something we didn't already know, that's good enough for now.
    'As for what he told us... It makes me sick. I've changed my mind, let's go after Maev, God knows the bastard deserves it.'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-12-19 at 03:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

"I agree." Tom said, in response to Reggy's suggested course of action. "Removing such a villain from the city would serve the people well."

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"We could see about askin' Skydog? He's been in the Revellers longer than me, he might know more about the guy."

19. - Top - End - #739

Beholder

“They specifically wanted a child that wouldn’t be missed. We won’t find a missing persons’ report or anything like that. If anyone has any contacts with groups that are...on the fringes...maybe we could reach out to them. Ask if they’ve heard anything.”

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

”I do not like the notion that they are preying upon the weak.” Tom’s entire morality rebelled against the notion of children being taken. They would be missed. He would miss them, if no one else would.

”I could ask around some of the homeless and destitute.” Those that Tom has watched from the sidelines. Those Tom has gone out of his way to protect.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    Happy Holidays everyone. I have a feeling post rate is a little low due to RL responsibilities and well earned holiday relaxation. I am simply posting here to state that I am under the assumption the characters still need to discuss more. If need be, I will use the character of a player who has not posted in a number of days to help move things forward, probably starting with Reggie, who has not had a post since 12/19.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-12-26 at 08:51 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Reggie sighs as the group discusses their various options. "Perhaps we could do all these things," he says despondently, "though I don't like the idea of breaking off right now, given how Imere was captured." With a mirthful chuckle Reggie points to the door and says, "However, why don't we start by exiting this broom closet."

Assuming the group follows Reggie, he says, "I have some responsibilities to take care of for Charity Hospital today as well. But we have to start acting fast. We still have a few weeks before Halloween and the renewing of the Hallow's Eve Contract, but something tells me the target on our back is growing." His eyes dart around the arcade as the group moves towards the door, studying the room for possible ambushes. Then the man stops, crossing his arms, "I still say we do what we can to go after Marv and the Domino of the Revelers. We know they are coming for us anyways." Reggie turns his attention to Songbird and says, "If you think Skydog can be trusted and will be of use, lets start there. It's up in the French Quarter anyway, and there are more homeless there anyways," he adds to Tom. "Sound like a plan?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom followed Reggie out of the broom closet last, ducking his considerable frame through the door and into the rest of the arcade. He was listening intently, though his dark eyes swept to and fro. Like Reggie, Tom was of the belief that trouble would find them sooner rather than later.

”Aye. That will do.” The Ogre said with finality at Reggie’s plan.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The four walk from Magazine street up to St. Charles, the main road that runs through the Garden District. A three lane in each direction street, lined with picturesque three story Victorian houses and towering crepe myrtle trees. The St. Charles trolley car runs along a track that drives up the median divider of the street, and the Changelings board it to go North (down river) to the French Quarter. Then it's another 15 minute walk up to Skydog's bar.

By the time they arrive it is just a little bit before noon, and the midday humidity has already become oppressive. Despite the early hour, the tavern is already open, though mostly empty, except for Skydog himself and a single wino who sits at the bar. The man has a shaggy brown beard streaked with grey, and a mop of greasy hair. He's dressed in a pair of dirty cutoff jean-shorts, and a striped tank-top, both hands clutched around glass of brown liquid that was likely either rum or whiskey.

Skydog looks up from his busy work at the bar as the four enter. "Well shoot," he says with a grin, "back so soon? Ain't it a little early to be thirsty?" The wino looks up from his glass to give Skydog an accusatory look, and the bartender chuckles and offers a friendly apology.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Yeah, that works." Songbird said as he followed Reggie out of the closet. He was relatively quiet for much of the trip to the French Quarter, still a little upset about Freddy and Kitsune. He felt like his new little Motley was alone in a city that was gradually becoming more and more hostile.

"Never to early for a drink, but-... Probably best not to indulge too much. Just a shot of whiskey for me." The avian changeling responded to Skydog after entering the establishment, sitting himself down at the bar, glancing over to the only other person at the bar and briefly wondering whether he might be listening in. "Mostly just here to see you, though. I wanted to talk to ya' about some Reveller stuff."
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2020-01-01 at 03:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show

Could I try rolling Empathy + Wits to see whether there's anything off about the other drinker?

Wits 3 + Empathy 2 = 5

(5d10)[9][2][5][9][1](26)
    10-Again: (5d10)[4][1][10][6][3](24)

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

”A pint of whatever is on tap.” Tom grumbles as he follows his Motley into the bar and gingerly lowers himself onto a barstool next to Songbird. His immense size wasn’t all that accommodating for such seating, but so long as he was careful he figured it wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

The Ogre eyed the wino curiously for several long moments, wide hands pressed to the bar top idly – fingers drumming as if they wanted nothing more than to be wrapped about his blade.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Songbird gives the man at the bar a thorough study, finding no hint of Glamour or anything supernatural about him. The wino remains focused on his glass, tilting his head back to take a voracious gulp of his drink. A bit dribbles down the man's chin, and the cloying scent of whiskey fills the room momentarily.

Skydog nods at both Songbird and Tom's orders, and begins preparing their drinks.

The avian changeling responded to Skydog after entering the establishment, sitting himself down at the bar, glancing over to the only other person at the bar and briefly wondering whether he might be listening in. "Mostly just here to see you, though. I wanted to talk to ya' about some Reveller stuff."
    Songbird's words raise an eyebrow from the bartender, who eyes the mortal at the bar with concern. Fortunately, the man seems to be completely lost in the fog brought on by his last drink. A heavy sorrow hangs over the man, Glamour clinging to his flesh like icicles. Skydog says in a low voice, "Why don't you come down to the end of the bar, and I suppose we can talk in private."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #749
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Sure." Songbird nodded, moving to the place Skydog designated.

"I'm not usually one to talk court politics, but-... It's been on my mind a lot recently. What are your thoughts on Creed, Skydog?"

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Before Skydog meets Songbird and the others at the end of the bar, he finishes pouring Songbird's shot of Bullet bourbon and Tom's frothy amber tap beer. He pads his way down the bar with the two drinks, handing them out with a grin.

"I'm not usually one to talk court politics, but-... It's been on my mind a lot recently. What are your thoughts on Creed, Skydog?"
    Skydog's eyebrows lift so high that his bushy mustache lifts above his nostrils. "Well sheeeeet,"
    the bartender swears uncomfortably under his breath. He leans across the bar to get as close to the other Changelings as he can and nervously says, "Well that's the Domino of our Freehold." His eyes are hard, cold, terrified. The man shakes his head and says with steady insistence, "I don't know what there is to say." But as he speaks, Skydog grabs a bar napkin and quickly procuring a pen from his apron scribbles the words, "NOT SAFE!" He flashes the napkin before the group quickly, like a magician conjuring a rabbit, before holding the small white paper over a nearby candle till it lights and blooms to ashes.
    Show