New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Tales of the Library : First Tale "Tale of Shovels rocks and ropes"

Quote Originally Posted by Schismatic View Post
    "Absolutely. In this sense we are quite akin to priests in a city's temple. Though it would be more accurate to say, druids tend to share an affinity that might not be found in organized religious institutions. I myself am an acolyte of Silvanus." She explained.
    "Cool. I believe in Boccob. I know it rare for a drow to believe in a deity like Boccob. But I choose this path to be part of my life."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schismatic View Post
    "Oh? Well--soft spot or no, nature is not as loyal or noble as Nyx here. I've seen enough to respect what is out in glade, cave and range. Plenty a Silvanus acolyte meet their end of the bewitching sights and songs of the fey. The survival rate of some Druidic circle acolytes is quite low if raised from infancy. The balance of nature allows only predators a respite, and animals--even the mightiest--do not grow old in the wilds..." She noted.

"I do not wish to cultivate a mystique--far too many people mistake fellow druids as if masters of the wilderness, or oneness with the primal. In truth, what marks the difference between a druid who survives and one that does not is those that do not fall spell to simply the romance of natural world. As Malarites put it quite well, the insult of; 'May you grow old'... dispassion in the passionate. Living framed by necessity of death. In short all things are of nature, and true ugliness is just how far people attempt to liberate--in imagination or attempted reality--from Nature's designs." She tried to explain.
    Gunnar was getting ready to take the first shift shile listening to this conversation. He was sitting on a log, with his shield resting by his side, cleaning his sword. After sheathing it, he readies his shield and a javelin, which he uses for support to stand up.

"That's an interesting view you get there, miss. Very sensible. I was raised on the countryside, working at a manor for as long as I can remember. But I would not confuse that with nature either. The woods are beautiful, but pretty dangerous. Men and beasts are dangerous, as a matter of fact. Different kinds of dangerous, but dangerous to a fault. This is a wondrous and dangerous world we live in..." - He lowers his head for a moment and then looks around - "I'm glad I'm out in the open with someone with your kind of knowledge... And most of all, someone who seems sensible. Knowledge is a powerful weapon... But, as most weapons, not everyone is qualified to wield it."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thelia had followed the conversation in silence, even while getting ready to take her watch. She was indeed a bit surprised to have a drow worship Boccob, but that was Sarah's problem, not hers. A'diya confirmed what Thelia had suspected in her belief. She could also agree with Gunnar's assessment that not everyone was capable of using some knowledges.
    "Where do you want me," she asked Gunnar when it was time to go on watch.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

@ Everyone

the supper made for you was delicious, some simply mutton stew along with some potatoes and spices, he throws some bones and raw meat to Nyx which seems to enjoy. Gunnar takes the first watch and while you slowly fades to fatigue and gain some sleep. none of you have dreams during this night.

@ Gunnar

you watch the surroundings trying to catch any movements or any sound. you gaze at the stars while all of your companions go for sleeping. around you the night take over no moon the stars are shining brightly on this great deep blue mantle which is the sky, amongst constellations one is brighter than normal, the Cat's cradle. you gaze to it for a while. your watch pass without any trouble, exhausted you go to wake up Thelia.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 hours has passed

@ Thelia

When you open your eyes Gunnar is in front of you he wakes you up with a gentle stroke on your shoulder. you get up and get ready for your turn, the fire is sleeping and feeble embers can be seen every once in while. Upon you the sky is dark, no moon but all the stars are shining like gems, some of them are blue and some others are red, but the majority are white. you sit next to the campfire and try to listen and see what it's around. You think about what you have read, you watch in the direction of Raziel's tent he is still awake a feeble light but maybe he is busy with something, so you decide for this night not to disturb him. you observe the stars movements over your head and when two hours have passed you going to wake up the next one. you go to wake up Sarah.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 hours has passed

@ Sarah

Someone is whispering your name, you open your eyes to see Thelia's face, without saying a word you know that it is your turn, so you dress yourself up and you crawl out of the tent. Thelia goes for rest. there is no light coming from the campfire only the Starlight is illuminating the surrounding, your heritage allows you to see clearly what is around, on a nearby tree an owl is observing something, you follow the bird with your eyes and after a while, he flies and lands over something silently. The owl gaze at you like it is waiting for your approval, you smile and the owl flies back in the dark to enjoy its dinner. you gaze at the sky, and judging by the stars movements your turn has passed peacefully. time to wake up the next one, you go for A'diya. and then tired resume your resting.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 hours has passed

@ A'diya

a gentle stroke wakes you up, is Sarah, Time for your turn, it's quiet this evening she tells you and afterward, she yawns, you smile and then you take her place. a shooting star catch your eyes, around you the night is silent and there are no movements, the bitter cold is rising from the mire. Nyx looks around and goes digs for a bone that she saved from the dinner, you choose a spot where to hide and starts your turn. Upon you, some clouds are moving and the stars are veiled upon you. the winds blow a cold breeze, Nyx comes backs with her bones and starts to chew on it, she manages to break it and starts to enjoy all the bone marrow. while she is chewing you realize that two hours have passed. tired you decide to wake up Jeremi.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 hours has passed

@ Jeremi

you wake up moments before A'diya calls you from the outside, it's your turn, you prepare yourself. you find a spot for taking your turn, you bring the flute with you and try to remember old songs without playing it, you just practice the movements of your finger and the strength of your breath. a cold breeze is rising and forming a little fog, you can see in the distance sunlight emerging from the horizon. the little fog gently lays on grass and freezes. You are amazed by this phenomenon. two hours are passed and you go to wake up the others, your hear catches a sound Yawn! you turn your head and Raziel is awake

@ Everyone

Spoiler: sleeping
    Show
    you are fully rested and you recover your spells

Wake Up! Time for breakfast! this is what you hear when you open your eyes, outside your tent Raziel and Jeremi are awake , Raziel is cooking while Jeremi is playing a smooth song with his flute, the tune is genlte and slow. You enjoy your breakfast and then you put all of your things back in your backpack and some of them on the mule.

When you are ready you go next to the hollow rocks that can open what lays below, you place the keys and with a deep sound the earth tremble and an hole is revealed between the grass, stairs are going down in the dark, and from the depths of the darkness a smell of fustiness envelope your nose.

Spoiler
    Show
    need to know who will enter first in what order and if you light a torch or not

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sorry for not joining in last night." Jeremi starts as everyone wakes up. "My grandfather and I left home to try to make money to send home." After a long pause, he continues, "this was his flute." After another pause, he switches to a solemn tune.

6. - Top - End - #276

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_fromrome View Post

When you are ready you go next to the hollow rocks that can open what lays below, you place the keys and with a deep sound the earth tremble and an hole is revealed between the grass, stairs are going down in the dark, and from the depths of the darkness a smell of fustiness envelope your nose.

Spoiler
    Show
    need to know who will enter first in what order and if you light a torch or not
    "Well, I guess that's it... We're going in." - Gunnar checks his sword in its sheath, the two javelins in the back quiver, the bag of rocks and the sling at his belt. He then fastens his shield to his back and takes a small leather pouch from his bag and place it in one of the many pockets in his jacket - "Let me just check this entrance before we go in... I was mentored by a retired adventurer... He taught me a thing or two about traps. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I would sure not like to die at the doorstep."

If it's dark inside, he'll ask - "Maybe someone could go behind me with a lamp... I'll need both hands to investigate and to fight."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'm taking 20 on a search check at the door and the first step, for a net 27. Gunnar has Trapfinding.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I can take the rear," Thelia offered, looking at the entrance, "unless someone else wants that position. I would also suggest using the torches first, as they weigh a lot for the amount and time of light they give. We can keep the sunrods for emergencies and to get back out if we have to."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can stand not being in the back." Jeremi has his Hurdy-Gurdy in hand as he waits for Gunnar to finish.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

@ Everyone

you advance in the darkness, Gunnar first searching for traps, while Sarah behind him holding a fired torch, behind them Jeremi A'diya Raziel and Thelia last. you descend step by step for more than fifteen minutes you can see the end of the stairs further you can see a large hall but before entering the room on the last step Gunnar sign you to stop.

@ Gunnar

Spoiler
    Show
    you find a device you can try to disable it or try to activate it let me know what do you choose and then roll

10. - Top - End - #280

HalflingRangerGuy

@ Everyone

you advance in the darkness, Gunnar first searching for traps, while Sarah behind him holding a fired torch, behind them Jeremi A'diya Raziel and Thelia last. you descend step by step for more than fifteen minutes you can see the end of the stairs further you can see a large hall but before entering the room on the last step Gunnar sign you to stop.

@ Gunnar

Spoiler
    Show
    you find a device you can try to disable it or try to activate it let me know what do you choose and then roll
    "There's something here..." - Gunnar whispers - "Bring that torch closer, will you? Just don't burn my hair, please." - He smirks and winks at Sarah.

Knowing he's not very experienced in this, Gunnar decides to take it slowly, as there doesn't seem to be any pressing issues that would justify rushing it. He reaches into his jacket, retrieving the leather pouch he had taken out of his bag earlier. Opening it, he retrieves small and delicate tools that seem older than himself, albeit not particularly well crafted - "Let me see what the hell is this..."

Show
    I know I may look like the Take 10 and Take 20 rule freak, but, at this level, I see no reason to risk a dice roll outside combat, when this could just blow our heads off.

Therefore, I take 20 on the Disable Device check (+7), for a net 27.

As per Trapfinding rules, I'd like to know if, with a 27, it's possible to study it, figure out how it works, and decide if we could bypass it (with the party) without disarming it. If it's not, I'll simply disarm it (hopefully).

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thelia kept silent, or at least as silent as you could be in armour. The fact that the torches were closer to the front didn't really bother her, as she still had her low-light vision. When Gunnar signaled to stop, she turned around to keep an eye on the back, at least more than glances now and again. Now she glanced at the group from time to time in order not to miss when they moved again.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

She progressed into the darkness, drawing her shield and holding it in front of her as she kept Nyx close to her. Proceeding into the depths of a place that she didn't think deserved to still exist. It was kind of anathema--an ancient strangeness of the world.
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2019-03-14 at 02:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    "There's something here..." - Gunnar whispers - "Bring that torch closer, will you? Just don't burn my hair, please." - He smirks and winks at Sarah.

Knowing he's not very experienced in this, Gunnar decides to take it slowly, as there doesn't seem to be any pressing issues that would justify rushing it. He reaches into his jacket, retrieving the leather pouch he had taken out of his bag earlier. Opening it, he retrieves small and delicate tools that seem older than himself, albeit not particularly well crafted - "Let me see what the hell is this..."

Show
    I know I may look like the Take 10 and Take 20 rule freak, but, at this level, I see no reason to risk a dice roll outside combat, when this could just blow our heads off.

Therefore, I take 20 on the Disable Device check (+7), for a net 27.

As per Trapfinding rules, I'd like to know if, with a 27, it's possible to study it, figure out how it works, and decide if we could bypass it (with the party) without disarming it. If it's not, I'll simply disarm it (hopefully).
    "Ok." Sarah bring the torch a bit closer to Gunnar but not closer to his hair.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

@ Everyone

Gunnar with skill disable the device, now it is safe to go ahead. you arrive in the large hall, the room looks smaller than before, also it is empty, no signs on walls and no other things only dust. The torch reveals the narrow corridor that goes straight is in front of you, it keeps on going until it splits into two corridors, one go ahead and the other one goes on your left, you can notice that the straight corridor ahead after 10 meters turn also left.

Spoiler: image
    Show

you are the red dot

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"OK, what now," Thelia asked. She hadn't spent all that much time underground, "Always take the first left, or something like that?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've never heard that." Jeremi muses. "It might be something about staying to one side? Either way, its probably better to start closer to the entrance and work our way deeper."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

"Best way to find an exit to a maze is to follow a wall--but assuming this place is boobytrapped and likely multi-levelled we should probably assume doing as such will likely deny us useful intelligence and items necessary to proceed, and increased traps." She noted

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Yes, it's a bit like that," Thelia said, "you Always take the first left so that if you want to get back out, you take the first right and you reach the exit again. Then you take the next left and do it all over again. Makes it easier to get back out if you have to. Especially since one choice isn't better than any other and we don't know anything about this maze anyway."

19. - Top - End - #289

HalflingRangerGuy

"I believe our intent here is to explore the whole place, anyway..." - He looks at the rest, while readying his shield, nodding to A'diya as she gives her opinion - "So I say we explore every room as we come across it. Just let me search the doorways before anyone crosses inside." - He looks around at the options revealed by the torchlight - "But it would be nice if someone could make a sketch of our way in... Mapping it somehow." - He looks at Sarah - "Hey, I see you carry around that spellbook of yours... Any chance you have some spare paper? Some unused scroll or something like that? Any of you have it?" - He looks at the others, but for some reason doesn't even look at A'diya.

Show
    If someone has paper and quill or pencil, Gunnar will take 10 in a Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) (+5) check for a net 15 to map as we go, from time to time.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I have some parchment and ink," Thelia said, taking it out of the scrollcase in her backpack, approving the idea of making a map. It was not only a good idea to find their way in this labyrinth, it would also be a nice thing to bring back to the temple later.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You decide to take the first on your left and proceed walking for less than twelve meters, Gunnar is looking for devices and traps, but he found nothing. you proceed towards the darkness when at some point Thelia hesitate her steps, she looks around and then proceed with the others. the tunnel continues towards you it is possible to move only in line Raziel is looking around trying to catch any information that he could find, but unfortunately the walls are cutted rocks and nothing more, the environment is still silent no movements so fa. you arrive at the end of the tunnel at your right side there is a closed door while left the tunnel continues straight and then turn right.

Spoiler: choose
    Show
    door or continues?

22. - Top - End - #292

HalflingRangerGuy

You decide to take the first on your left and proceed walking for less than twelve meters, Gunnar is looking for devices and traps, but he found nothing. you proceed towards the darkness when at some point Thelia hesitate her steps, she looks around and then proceed with the others. the tunnel continues towards you it is possible to move only in line Raziel is looking around trying to catch any information that he could find, but unfortunately the walls are cutted rocks and nothing more, the environment is still silent no movements so fa. you arrive at the end of the tunnel at your right side there is a closed door while left the tunnel continues straight and then turn right.

Spoiler: choose
    Show
    door or continues?
    Gunnar walks in silence for most of the time, which is quite surprising to the rest of the group, that had him constantly blabbering about (mostly) useless knowledge and trivia, and his considerations about it, for the last couple of days. He seems focused on the search for traps, contraptions and secret doors, in a not quite secure kind of way. When the group arrives at the turn facing the door, he starts searching for devices at the doorstep and whispers to the others - "So... do we see what's inside or ignore the door and follow the tunnel? I'm of a mind to comb this place, if possible. Either way, I'm already checking for traps as you decide..."

As the others think and speak their minds, he keeps searching and muttering, partially to those close and partially to himself - "This reminds me of something I heard from an old man at a tavern in Waterdeep last year... He said he was a former adventurer and that he crept through Undermountain, of all places. While he talked a lot of nonsense, this caught my attention. He said that 'when you arrive at a door, the biggest question is not if or how you can go through, but what's the purpose of the door. Ask yourself, was this door made to prevent something from getting in or to prevent something from getting out?'... That's deep, man... Deep and creepy."

Show
    Take 20 in Search (+7) for a net 27.
    Last edited by amanamana; 2019-03-20 at 09:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I would suggest we take a look," Thelia suggested, "I'd rather not have something behind my back if I can avoid it."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Gunnar examines the door and the lock, the door is made in wood, but behind the wood's layer which is decaying a sheet of metal can be seen. You have no idea how thick it is. The lock is covered with rust even though it is a very elementary lock in this condition it is fragile, it is close but with extra attention you could lockpicking it or you can destroy it by force.

Spoiler: Gunnar skill check
    Show
    , no traps on the door and on the lock, please roll Open lock to open the lock or strength to force the door

25. - Top - End - #295

HalflingRangerGuy

Gunnar examines the door and the lock, the door is made in wood, but behind the wood's layer which is decaying a sheet of metal can be seen. You have no idea how thick it is. The lock is covered with rust even though it is a very elementary lock in this condition it is fragile, it is close but with extra attention you could lockpicking it or you can destroy it by force.

Spoiler: Gunnar skill check
    Show
    , no traps on the door and on the lock, please roll Open lock to open the lock or strength to force the door
    "Hmmm..." - Gunnar examines the door - "I'm not quite used to this lockpicking bit." - He looks at the others and shrugs - "This is more of a thieves' métier. I'm just a dabbler at this things... Let me see what can I do." - He inspects the lock and starts working meticulously, even if he has only a superficial understanding of locks.

Show
    OK. Here I'll have to take 20. Most locks have DCs over 20 and Gunnar only has a +3 in Open Locks. So, taking 20 for a net 23.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Gunnar is working patiently on the lock trying not to break it, the time is passing slowly while Gunnar is trying to figure it out how to open it, after half an hour of precise work the lock squeak and the door is open, you open carefully the door. In front of you a fully furnished room. you inspect the room with the torch it looks like a dormitory, there are five beds, five chests under each bed, a carpet cover all the surface of the floor, some weapons hanging from a rack and two mannequins stand at the center of the room wearing a full plate armor, both weapons and armor are broken and full of rust, for sure they have no value and no use. in the right corner of the room, there is another door.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, we'll have to go faster," Thelia siad, "we only have light for so many hours and I'd rather not stay the night in here if we can avoid it. Although at least we have beds here and only two doors, so we should be safe if we return here."

She did a look around the room to see if she could find any clues as to who the people sleeping here had been.

Spoiler: OOC dice rolls
    Show

search I guess: [roll]1d20+4[/roll]
    Last edited by farothel; 2019-03-22 at 11:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298

HalflingRangerGuy

"Why don't you people search the room, the chests, under the rug and all while I take a look at this other door?" - Gunnar heads to the door and starts working again.

Show
    Search (+7) around the second door for devices and secret passages: (1d20+7)[25]
    If it's locked, Open Locks (+3): (1d20+3)[18]

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

As Gunnar tests the lock, Jeremi rolls up the rug, and attempts to open the chests. "Lets see who was living here."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[18]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sarah searches the room.

Spoiler: Sarah's Search Skill Check
    Show
    Search: (1d20+3)[16]