Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ascendancy: an Intrigue game

Ascendancy

"It is now the 2660th year of the world by the Auroran Count, the 1900th year since the gods arose, and by my count the 1573rd year since the first of the cataclysms. It has been 726 years since the return of civilization, 720 years since word of the Yellow thing began to spread..."

"It is by the blessings of the dead ones that I have lived to see this day and it is by the curses of the dead ones that I have suffered to see this day."

"Sinan is gone..."
    "626 years have passed..."
    "A new time of industry has begun..."
    "The grip of the Ascendant has weakened on the Earth..."
    "Men walk the lands again, reclaiming their former glories..."
    "One day at a time..."
    "An age of man..."
    "A storm is coming..."
    "A new destiny..."

- fragments of a lost diary

Hello. For the past couple of years I've been developing and running a narrative nation game, and after having tested and played it for over a hundred turns I've decided to take a crack at revising it, the rules and the setting, and move the world forward.

Forward 726 years infact, long after the end of the current game. From the ashes of the past comes a new game. Ascendancy, what I am terming an intrigue game after its past as a god and nation game. This game is a player driven roleplay and story brewed between the various players acting as factions and the figures within them in a world mostly dominated by a multi-national confederacy.

You can play anything you set your mind to within this framework I am attempting to establish. Want to play a political party inside a nation, or in general within the confederacy? Go right ahead. Noble House? Yep. Merchant company? Sure. Mercenaries? Sure. Cult? Which god?

The rules for this "intrigue game" as I've written for the running of things are not intended to bind players, they exist to consistently monitor how effective a faction is at any particular task. I encourage players to experiment and invent, and to make their society their own.

The setting is a world recovering and rebuilding after a long period of ruin and anarchy following a divine apocalypse. The year is 1900 AD (not our world, but of similar though somewhat higher levels of development on average), and the Argent Confederacy has seen the world safe over the long centuries since its formation. Its congress bickers and squabbles over the now petty and ancient grudges between its peoples.

If you're interested (and would be willing to stick around for a bit) read on and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

I'm looking for people interested in a long and consistent game. My plan is to run the recruitment for two months starting today, and begin on New Years Day with a turn running for approximately a week and a half. I'd like for sheets to be submitted to me by New Years but I'll be leaving recruitment open past this point for anyone running late due to the holidays.

Hello everyone. An update. We're working on introducing a new continent to our world. We're looking for anyone interested in playing explorers or trading companies looking to explore the new land.

If you're interested in writing lore for the new land to join as inhabitants of this new realm, we would also welcome you. Still working on a new map and the lore.

Message me or post here if you're interested.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-03-25 at 07:38 PM.
    Ascendancy (Setting, Rules, Recruitment, Out-Of-Character, Game Thread, and a Mirror. Also, a Discord.)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Placeholder

Spoiler: Blank Faction Sheet
    Show

Faction Name:

Main Faction Concept:

Component Concepts

Minor Concepts: (Four +1 Concepts)

Moderate Concepts: (Two +2 Concepts)

Advanced Concept: (One +4 Concept)

Heritage Concept: (One +3 Concept relating to your faction's heritage or its relation to its parent nation)

Inheritance Concept: (One +5 Concept. This is only for those who were a part of the previous game. I'll be handing this out personally.)

Spoiler: The Vatnahlifir, example sheet
    Show

Faction Name: The Vatnahlifir

Main Faction Concept: The Vatnahlifir is an occult organization within the militaries of the Khaganate. Descended from the Janissaries, it was founded as a seperate army for Ajivha by Sinan nearly 800 years ago to be a more elite force. Originally composed of the best and brightest that Ajivha had at its disposal they were broken and put back together by Sinan to become Fedai under his control. These Fedai, an army of their own stand as the guardians of Ajivha and its Khaganate holding the first and last lines of defence against the unnatural, blending into all of its forces, its factions, its society.

It is a sizeable faction who's influence spreads across the whole of the Khaganate and beyond with a blank check written nearly 800 years ago by the Khagan, and his successors. Their members undergoing rite after rite in search of the secrets of the past and the beyond, hoarding relics of magic and technology, history, in an attempt to get ahead of the historical curve that only they can see.

They are a force to be reckoned with and few if any openly oppose them.

Component Concepts

Minor Concepts:

Garbed In Sanctity (+1 to Wealth Production) - The Vatnahlifir as a whole is an organization garbed in sanctity. Their manner, their dress, their reputation. They are a force that wears the cloak of religious dogma to their advantage and profits from it. Not that they've ever needed to profit.

Their symbol of choice is an axe-like pseudo-rune which they plaster across their clothing, buildings, and property in general.

Investigators (+1 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - The main force of the Vatnahlifir seen in public outside of those that collect the dead are their investigatory branch. Working in the Khaganate and beyond as Covenant officers they uproot and burn the varied supernatural threats to society, primarily Ascendant worshippers and the Yellow threat.

Relic Hunters (+1 to Wealth Production) - The Vatnahlifir as a group have a predilection for the hoarding of relics. As it was at their founding, one of their purposes is the collection, cataloguing, and use of artifacts for the betterment of society. This combined with their rites has morphed into the compulsive hoarding of artifacts and cultural relics. Their veteran members are often seen carrying them in them into battle whether or not they're useful with ancient weapons and vehicles being especially prized.

Sacred Armaments (+1 to Military Conflict Rolls) - Heavily armed and armoured, Vatnahlifir carry the finest weapons in the Khaganate. Most of them carry heavily customized rifles produced in house by blacksmiths and artisans. Automatic rifles (a technological secret held by the Vatnahlifir) amongst them, as well as rockets, bombs, rifle-grenades, mortars, and all manner of gas and incendiary. Chemical, alchemical, and occult in engineering their arms are the finest in the confederacy and the beyond.

Moderate Concepts:

Collectors of the Dead (+2 to Influence Production) - The Vatnahlifir in the spirit of their founder's miracle offers their services to the dead, claiming that they are able to pierce the veil separating the world and the Aetherial Sea. They do so in exchange for boons across the continent with local governments, not restricting the poor and insignificant but taking longer to process them and cross them over with the influential and wealthy receiving the miracle first.

Rites of the Sinan (+2 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - Corvans within the Vatnahlifir undergo a strenuous series of rites throughout their training whether they be from the outside or raised into it. Their bodies and minds are broken and put back together as fedai (roughly translated from Old Ajivhan meaning "those who sacrifice"), and then they undergo rites physical, spiritual, alchemical, and surgical to produce what are known within the Vatnahlifir as phantoms.

During this rituals their bodies, minds, and souls are linked to Sinan, a process began by the act of inserting Simulacra crystals sourced from Sinan (or other phantoms) directly into the brain. Said crystal replaces their nervous system and eventually renders the recipient immortal.

These processes often leave the phantoms psychotic in some way with the most common afflictions being pica, paranoia, and degrees of sociopathy.

Advanced Concept:
    The Choir of Chains (+4 to Military Conflict Rolls) - The Vatnahlifir's most well known weapon is the Choir of Chains, a collection of 11 stable conjurers rendered into fedai by processes even more grueling than that used in the production of phantoms. Their minds are broken, leaving them compliant, and are put back together more carefully than the previously mentioned phantoms. They undergo a period of willing imprisonment meant to get them in the right state of mind while in service, like the phantoms wearing Vegvisir armour and Aegishjalmur masks, unlike the phantoms being chained together on and off the battlefield.

They think in Galdr chants, in the Litany of Chains, in the Lorica of Storms and the Mantra of Fire. Their minds are religious and devoted to Sinan and the concept of Ajivha, and together in a choir they conjure their rainbow flames that burn through anything and everything.

Heritage Concept:
    Fortress Ajivha (+3 to Unity Production) - Ajivha and its Khaganate like its predecessors are a fortress. At the shortest notice its citizens are ready to defend themselves and their kindred against any threat. This unity lends to a strong and hardy nation that rarely bends to outside force.

Inheritance Concept:
    REVELATION: Secrets of the Flesh (+5 to Espionage and Military Conflict Rolls) - The Vatnahlifir are privy to the blasphemous secrets of Sinan and the hellfire of Ajivha, gained through blood sacrifice and the consumption of flesh and cultivated samples of the wax flesh of Sinan left behind. This unholy knowledge is used to fuel their rites and produce increasingly powerful phantoms for the long war.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-02-01 at 08:35 AM.
    Ascendancy (Setting, Rules, Recruitment, Out-Of-Character, Game Thread, and a Mirror. Also, a Discord.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ascendancy: an Intrigue game

Consider me interested and working on a sheet.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Placeholder for the descendants of the protectorate
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Placeholder for an Awnite Faction. Probably the rise of the first unions.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'm also interested. Is there anywhere I can look over the rules?

7. - Top - End - #7

Default 3/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by dreamking View Post
    I'm also interested. Is there anywhere I can look over the rules?
    Yes there is. Here you go: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572627

Edit: link was for the wrong game, sorry, it's now fixed.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-01-12 at 07:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wish I could make something, but it's taking me a while to digest all the setting info.
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2018-12-04 at 06:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    Well, now you're making me feel sorry for a naked bloody psychopath

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    I wish I could make something, but it's taking me a while to digest all the setting info.
    You have roughly two months to read and think. Plenty of time. If you have any questions or need an explanation of anything let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This seems very much my jam. So posting interest while I digest all the lore and try to grok the rules.
    This land is not less green and not less good;
    Its fruits have not grown sour or more rare
    And yet I see no beauty where I should
    And little to lose, if I should only dare

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Posting interest while I look over the rules and settings. I plan on making a cult.

12. - Top - End - #12

Default 18/12/2018

We have roughly 12 people interested so far for anyone watching. Two weeks to turn 1 starting, anyone applying or joining after that point will be caught up with bonus actions.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Heck yeah.

Btw can you give us a base level idea of what level of technology the world is at by this point?
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

14. - Top - End - #14

Default 18/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by cybric View Post
    Heck yeah.

Btw can you give us a base level idea of what level of technology the world is at by this point?
    Late 1800s - Early 1900s.

Steam is widespread and Electricity is available to varying degrees. Automobiles and aircraft are being developed from advanced relics of the third age (said relics in the possession of the rich and powerful). Automatic weapons exist but for the most part are limited to relics and what the Ajivhans (specifically the Vatnahlifir) manufacture for themselves.

Artifacts are for the most part hoarded, and/or in museums. The state of wild mages varies wildly, Ajivha for example considers them a state asset. Living metal is a protected commodity.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

d6 Re: Ascendancy: an Intrigue game

General concept approved by the GM. Let me know if there's anything that needs changing, though.

Spoiler: Kismet and the Legend of the Bones
    Show

The Legend of the Bones

Many years ago, a woman named Cyrica was desperate for a son. Being the esteemed consort of the Emperor of Aurora, Cosimo IV, this was more than just an idle wish. So she prayed endlessly to the god Khalorean, and on a visit to his temple, she was finally blessed with the son she desired.

Unfortunately at birth the infant could, even in the most charitable view, only be described as grotesque. His skin was not the usual crimson of a newborn, but rather the blue tinge one might expect from an abyssal squid. Instead of legs, he possessed six tentacles which constantly writhed and kicked. Nevertheless, Prince Tiberius, as his mother named him, was welcomed into the imperial household as any newborn would be.

It was not long after Tiberius was born that trouble began to brew in the imperial court, and inevitably, the household servants began to blame him for every and any misfortune. Cyrica alone continued to adore her son, but as she slipped into insanity, even she could not protect him. Eventually, he was smothered in his cot by a pair of nurse maids while his mother lay nearby, too befuddled by smoking herbs to even notice.

Not long afterwards, Cosimo was overthrown and his sister Valencia took the throne. Among her first decrees was for the body of her late nephew to be taken out to the palace gardens and quietly cremated, as was the Auroran custom at the time. The gardeners tasked with this responsibility were horrified to find, however, that after the flames died down, the bones of Tiberius were still intact and unburnt. What's more, they had begun to writhe and squirm again, as the infant had done in life.

Terribly afraid, the gardeners hurriedly threw the bones into a wooden chest and gave them to the youngest to dispose of. It was suggested that he sail out and throw the chest into the sea, but on the way down to the port he thought better of it, and instead sold the bones at the market for several months worth of grain.

It followed thus that for the next few years, the bones were traded up and down the Channel, gaining a reputation as they travelled. Eventually, the bones reached the port city of Valthee in the Empire of the Basalt Throne, as it was known then, where they were seized and ended up in the private collection of the Duke of Sung, who took an interest in such magical curiosities. And there they left half-forgotten for many years, until one day, three youngsters found their way into the collection.

Their leader was the Duke's eldest son and heir. With him came a krakari girl, the daughter of a wealthy trading family, and a younger corvan girl in simple clothing. If one looked closely, they would notice a strange thing about the smallest girl -- rather than the bronze gaze of her people, or the typical brown of her human countrymen, her eyes were a brilliant green.

"Good morning." A clear, high voice came from the chest containing the bones, scaring the children half to death. "Please, do not be afraid."

"What are you?" the Duke's son finally asked.

"That does not matter. I offer a bargain. Bring me the necklace that hangs by your mother's mirror, and the cloak belonging to the head priest, and I shall grant whatever you desire in return."

This was an odd request, but the children were hooked nonetheless.

"Anything?" the krakari girl asked suspiciously.

"Yes. Anything."

"Then I wish to be a proper lord, just like my father," the Duke's son declared pompously.

"It shall be done."

"And I wish my mother wouldn't make me brush my frill all the time," the krakari girl said, sniffing.

"It shall also be done," the bones said. "And what do you want?" it added, addressing the green-eyed girl.

"Oh, she doesn't need anything, she's just a servant," the Duke's son interjected. He turned to the maid. "You keep watch, while we get the things."

The pair disappeared, leaving the green-eyed girl and the bones alone.

"I have never seen a corvan like you."

"They say my father was human," the girl said by way of explanation, looking down shyly.

"Ah. Well, what do you desire, then?"

"Can I really?"

"Yes."

"I want... I want to leave here and see the whole world. I want to see the Basalt Obelisk, and the Colosseum in Xule, and... and..."

"It shall be done," the bones said, interrupting her. "I need a very special, third ingredient. Go and fetch me frogspawn in a jar, and be quick about it. Don't let the other two see."

The girl hurried off to fulfil this strange request. By the time she returned, the frogspawn safely stowed under her skirt, the other two had already returned.

"Where were you? You were meant to be keeping watch, idiot!" the krakari girl cried.

"Never mind, nobody came. Now place the necklace and cloak in my box," the bones instructed. The two noble children did so. "And now, the bargain is fulfilled."

At first, nothing seemed to happen. Then, the krakari girl began to itch her forward.

"Ow, my head!" she cried, tearing out of the chamber. The duke's son followed her.

"Pour the frogspawn in the box. Quick."

The green-eyed girl did so, with more than a little disgust.

"Now, place your hand into the spawn, and your wish shall be granted."

~

Meanwhile, the krakari girl had ground to a halt, running her claws over her head. The duke's son was in fits of laughter as her feathery frill came away, leaving the back of her head with the same texture of a plucked chicken.

"It's not funny! This isn't what I meant!"

Then, there was a sudden scream from upstairs. The two children looked uneasily at each other. That was followed by a familiar shout:

"The Duke is dead. Long live the Duke!"

The blood drained from the new's duke face as he realised the full gravity of what he had just done. He sprinted back to the collection room to beg the bones to reverse the bargain, only to find the chest had vanished. For the rest of his life he would send search party after search party across the land, but neither the mysterious bones, nor the green-eyed girl, were ever seen again.

Faction Name: Kismet

Main Faction Concept:

The origin of Kismet is shrouded in mystery. He has no permanent form, appearing before mortals as anything ranging from a black cat to a fox, from a grinning urchin to an alluring maiden. The only consistency is that regardless of the form he takes, he always has green eyes. This, apparently, he cannot change.

There are many stories told about Kismet, which invariably will share the same narrative structure. He will appear before a desperate mortal, offering something they desire above all else. Love, wealth, vengeance on a rival, and victory in a key battle are all common themes. He will always deliver on his end of the bargain, but inevitably, there will be a price that has to be paid sooner or later. If one is brave, or foolish, enough to make a deal with Kismet in the first place, it can only be recommended that the wording of the deal is checked to the last letter.

Component Concepts

Minor Concepts:

Hearts of Men (+1 Influence Production): The hearts of men (and women) are easily tempted by the allure of money, glory, or just pure power. Kismet has great experience in knowing exactly what to offer to sway all but the most resistant.

Fool's Gold (+1 Wealth Production): It is commonly supposed that Kismet has the power to create gold and precious stones out of thin air. This is not actually true. Rather, he knows the location of enough treasure-laden shipwrecks and long forgotten tombs that he can summon almost any amount of wealth at short notice if a mortal requests such things. He has no use for gold himself.

Long Arc of History (+1 Influence Production): As a being who has existed for at least half a millennium, Kismet has a wealth of historical knowledge he can draw upon and use to his advantage when dealing with mortals.

One Soul (+1 Unity): Kismet is a single being... reportedly. Some sources beg to differ, but they aren't held in high regard.

Moderate Concepts:

Immaterial (+2 Military & Espionage Rolls)
    A being of spirit rather than flesh, ordinary weapons or indeed solid walls are no barrier to Kismet. A particularly potent magic would be required to repel, let alone contain him.

Foresight (+2 Military & Espionage Rolls) Kismet possesses an uncanny, though not always perfect, ability to predict future events. Some say that this is the result of being able to listen in on the conversations of the gods themselves, while others ascribe it to a small red orb which he is said to possess.

Advanced Concept:

Kismet's Conspiracy (+4 Espionage Rolls): As a result of a bargain made centuries ago, the exact details of which change with each retelling, a number of Ravens of Gangari are closely allied with Kismet. This "conspiracy" collects information from across the known world, which they ferry back to Kismet through mysterious methods known only to those involved.

Heritage Concept:

Cosmopolitan (+3 to Influence Production): As a result of the lack of certainty over his origin, most cultures have stories claiming Kismet as their own. This, coupled with his ability to take the form of any race or kind, allows him to tailor his approach to the mortal in question.

Inheritance Concept: To be determined by GM
    Last edited by The JoJo; 2018-12-19 at 07:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Why do you +2 to military and espionage roles. It should be only one.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordArgon View Post
    I asked the GM about it, and he said it's okay if they're close uses and it's justified (it's also been done in the example sheet).

18. - Top - End - #18

Default 20/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by The JoJo View Post
    I asked the GM about it, and he said it's okay if they're close uses and it's justified (it's also been done in the example sheet).
    He's right that I had said that, though I think I had intended it to apply to wonder concepts (5 action concepts formed in a single round, relating to something miraculous or revelatory). This may change, it may work better if people think outside the box and come up with reasons why it would make sense.

Concepts can have split bonuses, concepts can be improved, concepts can go beyond 5.

My plan was to hand out bonuses to the descendant factions of previous players based on their end state and what they've accomplished. I'm fine with the sheet as it is and will modify his bonus to account for this.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-01-12 at 07:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Default 24/12/2018

The Out-Of-Character thread has been posted: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576932

Applications and sheet prototypes will be added over the next week, and as they're produced. The plan is still to begin on New Years day, with recruitment continuing over the next month.

If you have any questions or issues let me know and I'll address them as best as I can.

Merry Christmas everyone!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems really cool and I'll try to get through the rules/setting stuff over the next few days and get a submission up.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Summery of the Total War Hanrui game I ran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to Ceika for my awesome Avatar!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My faction sheet. Finished
    Spoiler: The Oculiuris
    Show

Faction Name: The Oculiuris

Main Faction Concept:
    A cult of knowledge founded at the start of the fifth age by the Vampire treasure hunter Cyrax. While treasure hunting in an underwater ruin, he had a vision of billions of eyes surrounding him, and judging him. He felt as if all the future generations were disappointed in him. Even after he fled the ruins, he could still feel the eyes upon him, and could not shake the feeling of guilt. Cyrax was driven mad by the constant feeling of guilt, but from that madness came an epiphany. He saw the source of the constant warring and destruction, ignorance. If he destroyed ignorance, then the future generations could be saved from the constant cycle of destruction and rebuilding. Originally formed from his fellow ruin raiders, the Oculiuris promoted education and free exchange of ideas. Their core philosophy was that knowledge must be preserved and spread in order to avoid catastrophe. Taking that idea to the extreme, the leaders of the Oculiuris Ihave linked their minds together into a hivemind. The headquarters is in the Dead Republic, but it has many hidden chapter houses all over the world.
    Component Concepts

Minor Concepts:
    Knowledge is Power (+1 Influence Production) - The Oculiuris use their intelligence networks to blackmail those in power. The Oculiuris use them to advance their agenda of free education to all.
    Thousand eyes (+1 Espionage Conflict Rolls) - The Oculiuris have spies and informants in many places, allowing them to learn the secrets of the world.They call their network the Thousand Eyes.
    Power and Prestige (+1 Influence Production) - The leaders of the Oculiuris are rich and well connected. They use the prestige of their positions and family to make deals and attract more peons.
    High Society (+1 Wealth Production) - Many of the Oculiuris members have built up wealth both through the ancient knowledge they uncover and the modern secrets they pilfer.
    Ruin Raiders (+2 wealth production) - The members of the Oculiuris are filled with experienced treasure hunters. They use the funds they receive from selling ancient artifacts to fund their organization.
    Hidden in Plain Sight (+2 espionage conflict rolls) - The Oculiuris's members are not easily identified. They do not wear symbols or uniforms. They do perform rituals. They quietly advance the Oculiuris's agenda and only know their immediate superior in the organization. This makes it difficult to locates or infiltrate the Oculiuris.
    Mindbreaker (+4 espionage conflict rolls) - The Oculiuris employ a powerful form of mind magic that can destroy one's identity, leaving only memories to be harvested.
    Heritage Concept:
    Of One Mind (+3 unity production) - The Oculiuris's hive mind removes disagreements among the inner circle.

Inheritance Concept: Potato garden. (+5 to potato production)
    Last edited by LordArgon; 2018-12-31 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Finishing my faction sheet.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a few basic questions.

Is this game taking place here, on myth-weavers, or both? If the answer is both, are these separate universes/games running in parallel or do they interact?

What is the relationship between Ascendancy and Only Ruins?

Is there a synopsis of the existing nations somewhere that isn't so in-depth that the first spoiler I open details six different types of nation-specific coinage?
    DM: Academy Living
    Group A|Group B|OOC

23. - Top - End - #23

Default 28/12/2018

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    I have a few basic questions.

Is this game taking place here, on myth-weavers, or both? If the answer is both, are these separate universes/games running in parallel or do they interact?

What is the relationship between Ascendancy and Only Ruins?

Is there a synopsis of the existing nations somewhere that isn't so in-depth that the first spoiler I open details six different types of nation-specific coinage?
    It's taking place here, with a record of events on mythweavers.

Only Ruins was the predecessor to Ascendancy, taking place at the dawning of the fifth age of man.

Yes. The first one is in depth as that was my nation in Only Ruins and I had alot of writing saved up. The other nations have paragraph descriptions rather than whole posts. If you need more concise descriptions I can provide it if you ask.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, alright, I'll post it finally.

Spoiler: Exterminators Guild
    Show

Faction Name: Exterminators Guild

Main Faction Concept: Originally developed during the settling of Stone's Throw by the Khaloric Swarm by order of Empress Dorian Cook, the Exterminators have always maintained a respectable position in whatever civilization they have ever been part of, usually focused on emergency defense, scouting, diplomat escort, army support, and civil welfare.

The Exterminators Guild receives funding from businesses, religions, governments, individuals, their own production, adventuring, donations, and many other sources. Low- or Null- income people can set quests for home repair, deliveries, monster slayings, or anything else. Normally such quests would be undesirable to an exterminator, but since the income doesn't necessarily come from the client, helping an old man to fix his fence might yield three months salary in gold because it was intentionally overpaid by the state.
    Sometimes no pay is given, sometimes minor pay compared to the quest requirements. Those who earn respect in their local guild branch easily get compensated for their patience and obedience, and clients who invent complaints are easily refused further services henceforth.

Component Concepts

Minor Concept: Thematic Consequence (+1 Unity)
    No one knows why, but preparing for the wrong type of dungeon often gets Exterminators killed, almost as if they're being directly targeted for being stupid. Wear a fur coat inside a fire dungeon? You're probably going to have to fight something that breathes fire, whereas the other party members wearing smarter clothing don't get targeted at all, or see a creature with such an ability to begin with.

Minor Concept: Magic Door (+1 Influence)
    The Exterminators agree that dungeon entrances are a strange phenomenon. A 20 foot wide hill might have a dungeon entrance on one side, and go straight forward for a full mile, even though that shouldn't be possible given the geographical constraints. What's more, that the area around an entrance and the type of dungeon seem to blend into one another; sometimes you have to travel quite a bit inside to even know you're in a dungeon because it looks like the city's walls or whatever else.

Minor Concept: Mutation Acquisition (+1 Military)
    It's a widely known fact, to Exterminators at least, is that creatures in dungeons gain odd abilities periodically, and those abilities or other types of changes that make the creatures more dangerous often spread through the entire population of that type of monster, but only if it is killed inside the dungeon and its body left there. Learning new fighting abilities due to ever-changing combatants serves a purpose.

Minor Concept: Quest Reward (+1 Unity)
    The fact that any quest might reward s/he/they who complete it a substantially higher pay than would otherwise be expected unites the Exterminators in the shared hope of a gambler. On the client side, it makes those excessively wealthy happy to save so much money as long as they don't overdo it, and those destitute are pleased to be treated with dignity.

Moderate Concept: Expel Overflow (+2 Espionage)
    When dungeons aren't invaded for long enough and the creatures inside are able to breed to the point they get crowded, the excess population leaves the safety of their dungeon and come out to the vicinity, becoming even more aggressive than usual.
    Information about the other side is easily able to be acquired this way. Luckily, the Guild has offices near each such known entrance.

Moderate Concept: Treasure Chests (+2 Influence)
    Sometimes some type of container might be located within a dungeon. Sometimes they even seem to appear just behind an adventurer as soon as they turn their back- turning around again could get them something valuable or useful.
    Because of the spreading of this knowledge, the Exterminators Guild periodically acquires some hopeful volunteers, since it isn't safe for someone without training to enter such places.

Advanced Concept: Untraceable Income (+4 Wealth)
    The centuries-old tradition of ensuring accredited volunteers never learn the connection between their payment and their client ensures professional behavior is observed in all interactions, no matter how major or minor.
    No government or other organization makes attempts to demand such information because it's so intentionally convoluted on every level.

Heritage Concept: Insect Hive (+3 Influence)
    The Exterminators Guild was first formed of ray-das, but wildwings joined almost immediately after. Since humanoid insects breed and mature at a higher rate than mammals and have more potent forms of pack instincts and tradition, most Exterminators Guilds primarily employ spiders and moths (drider, galan, wildwing).

Inheritance Concept: (One +5 Concept. This is only for those who were a part of the previous game. I'll be handing this out personally.)

Last edited by Viirin; 2018-12-29 at 08:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Copies Magic, my Numenera focus
    Show

Spoiler: Me
    Show
    Spoiler: Meyers-Briggs
    Show

Spoiler: Gamer type
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Administratum of Awn
    Show

Faction Name: Administratum of Awn

Main Faction Concept: Core Domestic Governing body for the republic of Awn.

Component Concepts

Minor Concept: Bureaucracy
    The Administratum is more than any individual. Anyone can be replaced, and the system will carry on. (Unity +1)

Minor Concept: Detailed Records
    The Administratum keeps detailed records of its activities and audits. (+1 to Espionage)

Minor Concept: National Organization
    The Administratum is a significant part of the Awnite government. It exists in all provinces, though the local branches may vary in strength. (?)

Minor Concept: Uniform Policy
    The Administratum was originally formed to govern most domestic affairs in the lands of the Principal of Awn.
    The Administratum has since spread to all provinces. Awn decreed that the administratum would function the same through all provinces. (Unity +1)

Moderate Concept: Liberty Guild
    The Administratum has direct management of the Liberty Guild which is responsible for the resolution of conflicts between citizens. (+2 Influence)

Moderate Concept: Guild Oversight
    The Administratum is responsible for overseeing the "state" guilds. It is responsible for the resolution of conflicts between guilds, and taxing them. As part of it's power of taxation, it can audit. With sufficient mismanagement, it can replace the head of the guild but this is difficult. (+1 Wealth, +1 Influence)

Advanced Concept: Treasury Dispenser
    The Administratum is responsible for distributing the wealth of the nation of Awn to the various "Governing Institutions". Most of the funds are earmarked by ancient agreements, but the Administratum is responsible for actually transporting the wealth (And collecting it in the first place see below). (+4 Influence)

Heritage Concept: Tax Collector
    The Administratum is responsible for the collection of taxes from the citizenry of Awn. (+3 Weath)

Inheritance Concept: TBD
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2018-12-30 at 11:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Default 31/12/2018

I've decidedly posted the Game Thread a day early to give everyone a little extra time for their first post (and because I'll be busy during the next couple of days). Recruitment is still going until the end of January as was originally planned and late players will receive bonuses to help keep the balance of power. The first turn due to its unusual beginning will last longer, starting today (Monday the 31st) and ending on Saturday (the 12th).

Happy New Years everyone! Have a good week!
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-01-12 at 07:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry I was a little slow on this but here is my faction, The Crimson Enigmas. LEt me know if its all good and I'm cleared to head over to the game.

Spoiler: Crimson Enigmas
    Show
    Faction Name: The Crimson Enigmas

Main Faction Concept: The Crimson Enigmas are a high end smuggling group who specialize in bringing in high end weapons, both modern and ancient, and gear as long as the buyers don’t have too many questions as to where it comes from. The group started off as a small group buying/stealing army grade weapons and gear and reselling it to the various groups and organizations throughout a handful of cities in the Khaganate. They were founded by Josiah Payne, who had grown up among several of the southern cities travelling around with merchant parents, before joining the army. After her first few years of service she was promoted to quartermaster and that was when she realized the possibilities inherent in her position. Using a few of her friends back home she started the small business of reselling small amounts of used army weapons, gear, and supplies that wouldn’t be missed.

During the rest of Josiah’s stint in the army she organized a small group of contacts and groomed her successor, for when she left the army, to still have access to the gear. Once she got back home and assumed command of the growing organization business sky rocketed and they outstripped the competition with their solid supply of high grade military weapons and gear. Now years later they have dominated the illegal weapons trade market and are looking to expand their holdings given the new political climate evolving. They are expanding into artifact hunting, mage procurement, and are keeping an eye on high end military developers for any new tech to be created and then hopefully stolen.

Their symbol is a bright red thickly drawn check mark.

Component Concepts

Minor Concepts:

Military Contacts (+1 to Military Conflict) - The Crimson Enigmas have contacts among military all over the southern Khaganate by now and have recruited many serving military members into their group and ex-military members.

Criminal Contacts (+1 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - Much like how they had recuited military members into the organization the Crimson Enigmas also had recuited many members with criminal ties or criminals themselves to help them manage and move their illegal product.

Crime Pays (+1 to Wealth Production) - The main goal of their organization had been wealth, for a long time that was all they were focused on, and as such the group has managed to grow many permanent contracts that have kept money flowing within the organization while they now focus on bigger things.

Criminals Grapevine (+1 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - The Crimson Enigmas enjoy a good reputation in the underworld as following through with payment and deliveries of promised goods. As such now that they have started to spread beyond the handful of cities they had operated in they are not having much trouble finding criminal operatives ready to join up.

Moderate Concepts:

Tomb Raiders (+2 to Wealth Production) - The Crimson Enigmas have recently taken to raiding ancient ruins and lost civilizations for their high end tech. Many noble houses, military commanders, and criminal enterprises all vie to be the first to buy these rare pieces that could be game changing items. The Enigmas often hold secret bidding wars to get the best deals they can which ends with them rolling in piles of money.

Trained Operatives (+2 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - Recently The Crimson Enigmas have had to start training operatives specially in order to successfully steal, or find these rare pieces. Sometimes they need to be able to out maneuver other parties or steal it from parties that have it and are not quite willing to let it go. Payne took all of the most loyal members she had who had some sort of experience with this line of work and payed out the nose for training and gear, giving them a year before starting to send them out. The wait was worth the cost, beware crossing the Enigmas lest you find a crimson line across your neck...

Advanced Concept:

Large and In Charge (+2 to Influence and +2 Unity) - Josiah Payne has crafted this organization on her own back, and often times through sheer force of will and personality. This has resulted in many of the original members being fiercely loyal to the women and that loyalty has dribbled down through the ranks to even the rank and file. Her uncanny ability to remember names and personal details has helped cement the loyalty to her among the lower ranks thanks to her personal touch.

Her powerful personality and founding position of the group has led her to be the one mostly doing the major deals and meetings with buyers, granting her access to many influential and powerful men and women over the years. She has been careful to cultivate personal relationships with several over years and has firm friends to help her with her goals.

Heritage Concept:
    Treasure Hunters (+3 to Exploration ???) - Once Payne started to expand into treasure hunting she managed to lure an ancient Luug, Dantil Welloue, out of retirement to join her in what she promised would be a revival of the treaasure hunting era.

Inheritance Concept:
    To be Decided.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Summery of the Total War Hanrui game I ran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to Ceika for my awesome Avatar!

28. - Top - End - #28

Default 1/1/2019

Quote Originally Posted by The JoJo View Post
    General concept approved by the GM. Let me know if there's anything that needs changing, though.

Spoiler: Kismet and the Legend of the Bones
    Show

The Legend of the Bones

Many years ago, a woman named Cyrica was desperate for a son. Being the esteemed consort of the Emperor of Aurora, Cosimo IV, this was more than just an idle wish. So she prayed endlessly to the god Khalorean, and on a visit to his temple, she was finally blessed with the son she desired.

Unfortunately at birth the infant could, even in the most charitable view, only be described as grotesque. His skin was not the usual crimson of a newborn, but rather the blue tinge one might expect from an abyssal squid. Instead of legs, he possessed six tentacles which constantly writhed and kicked. Nevertheless, Prince Tiberius, as his mother named him, was welcomed into the imperial household as any newborn would be.

It was not long after Tiberius was born that trouble began to brew in the imperial court, and inevitably, the household servants began to blame him for every and any misfortune. Cyrica alone continued to adore her son, but as she slipped into insanity, even she could not protect him. Eventually, he was smothered in his cot by a pair of nurse maids while his mother lay nearby, too befuddled by smoking herbs to even notice.

Not long afterwards, Cosimo was overthrown and his sister Valencia took the throne. Among her first decrees was for the body of her late nephew to be taken out to the palace gardens and quietly cremated, as was the Auroran custom at the time. The gardeners tasked with this responsibility were horrified to find, however, that after the flames died down, the bones of Tiberius were still intact and unburnt. What's more, they had begun to writhe and squirm again, as the infant had done in life.

Terribly afraid, the gardeners hurriedly threw the bones into a wooden chest and gave them to the youngest to dispose of. It was suggested that he sail out and throw the chest into the sea, but on the way down to the port he thought better of it, and instead sold the bones at the market for several months worth of grain.

It followed thus that for the next few years, the bones were traded up and down the Channel, gaining a reputation as they travelled. Eventually, the bones reached the port city of Valthee in the Empire of the Basalt Throne, as it was known then, where they were seized and ended up in the private collection of the Duke of Sung, who took an interest in such magical curiosities. And there they left half-forgotten for many years, until one day, three youngsters found their way into the collection.

Their leader was the Duke's eldest son and heir. With him came a krakari girl, the daughter of a wealthy trading family, and a younger corvan girl in simple clothing. If one looked closely, they would notice a strange thing about the smallest girl -- rather than the bronze gaze of her people, or the typical brown of her human countrymen, her eyes were a brilliant green.

"Good morning." A clear, high voice came from the chest containing the bones, scaring the children half to death. "Please, do not be afraid."

"What are you?" the Duke's son finally asked.

"That does not matter. I offer a bargain. Bring me the necklace that hangs by your mother's mirror, and the cloak belonging to the head priest, and I shall grant whatever you desire in return."

This was an odd request, but the children were hooked nonetheless.

"Anything?" the krakari girl asked suspiciously.

"Yes. Anything."

"Then I wish to be a proper lord, just like my father," the Duke's son declared pompously.

"It shall be done."

"And I wish my mother wouldn't make me brush my frill all the time," the krakari girl said, sniffing.

"It shall also be done," the bones said. "And what do you want?" it added, addressing the green-eyed girl.

"Oh, she doesn't need anything, she's just a servant," the Duke's son interjected. He turned to the maid. "You keep watch, while we get the things."

The pair disappeared, leaving the green-eyed girl and the bones alone.

"I have never seen a corvan like you."

"They say my father was human," the girl said by way of explanation, looking down shyly.

"Ah. Well, what do you desire, then?"

"Can I really?"

"Yes."

"I want... I want to leave here and see the whole world. I want to see the Basalt Obelisk, and the Colosseum in Xule, and... and..."

"It shall be done," the bones said, interrupting her. "I need a very special, third ingredient. Go and fetch me frogspawn in a jar, and be quick about it. Don't let the other two see."

The girl hurried off to fulfil this strange request. By the time she returned, the frogspawn safely stowed under her skirt, the other two had already returned.

"Where were you? You were meant to be keeping watch, idiot!" the krakari girl cried.

"Never mind, nobody came. Now place the necklace and cloak in my box," the bones instructed. The two noble children did so. "And now, the bargain is fulfilled."

At first, nothing seemed to happen. Then, the krakari girl began to itch her forward.

"Ow, my head!" she cried, tearing out of the chamber. The duke's son followed her.

"Pour the frogspawn in the box. Quick."

The green-eyed girl did so, with more than a little disgust.

"Now, place your hand into the spawn, and your wish shall be granted."

~

Meanwhile, the krakari girl had ground to a halt, running her claws over her head. The duke's son was in fits of laughter as her feathery frill came away, leaving the back of her head with the same texture of a plucked chicken.

"It's not funny! This isn't what I meant!"

Then, there was a sudden scream from upstairs. The two children looked uneasily at each other. That was followed by a familiar shout:

"The Duke is dead. Long live the Duke!"

The blood drained from the new's duke face as he realised the full gravity of what he had just done. He sprinted back to the collection room to beg the bones to reverse the bargain, only to find the chest had vanished. For the rest of his life he would send search party after search party across the land, but neither the mysterious bones, nor the green-eyed girl, were ever seen again.

Faction Name: Kismet

Main Faction Concept:

The origin of Kismet is shrouded in mystery. He has no permanent form, appearing before mortals as anything ranging from a black cat to a fox, from a grinning urchin to an alluring maiden. The only consistency is that regardless of the form he takes, he always has green eyes. This, apparently, he cannot change.

There are many stories told about Kismet, which invariably will share the same narrative structure. He will appear before a desperate mortal, offering something they desire above all else. Love, wealth, vengeance on a rival, and victory in a key battle are all common themes. He will always deliver on his end of the bargain, but inevitably, there will be a price that has to be paid sooner or later. If one is brave, or foolish, enough to make a deal with Kismet in the first place, it can only be recommended that the wording of the deal is checked to the last letter.

Component Concepts

Minor Concepts:

Hearts of Men (+1 Influence Production): The hearts of men (and women) are easily tempted by the allure of money, glory, or just pure power. Kismet has great experience in knowing exactly what to offer to sway all but the most resistant.

Fool's Gold (+1 Wealth Production): It is commonly supposed that Kismet has the power to create gold and precious stones out of thin air. This is not actually true. Rather, he knows the location of enough treasure-laden shipwrecks and long forgotten tombs that he can summon almost any amount of wealth at short notice if a mortal requests such things. He has no use for gold himself.

Long Arc of History (+1 Influence Production): As a being who has existed for at least half a millennium, Kismet has a wealth of historical knowledge he can draw upon and use to his advantage when dealing with mortals.

One Soul (+1 Unity): Kismet is a single being... reportedly. Some sources beg to differ, but they aren't held in high regard.

Moderate Concepts:

Immaterial (+2 Military & Espionage Rolls)
    A being of spirit rather than flesh, ordinary weapons or indeed solid walls are no barrier to Kismet. A particularly potent magic would be required to repel, let alone contain him.

Foresight (+2 Military & Espionage Rolls) Kismet possesses an uncanny, though not always perfect, ability to predict future events. Some say that this is the result of being able to listen in on the conversations of the gods themselves, while others ascribe it to a small red orb which he is said to possess.

Advanced Concept:

Kismet's Conspiracy (+4 Espionage Rolls): As a result of a bargain made centuries ago, the exact details of which change with each retelling, a number of Ravens of Gangari are closely allied with Kismet. This "conspiracy" collects information from across the known world, which they ferry back to Kismet through mysterious methods known only to those involved.

Heritage Concept:

Cosmopolitan (+3 to Influence Production): As a result of the lack of certainty over his origin, most cultures have stories claiming Kismet as their own. This, coupled with his ability to take the form of any race or kind, allows him to tailor his approach to the mortal in question.

Inheritance Concept: To be determined by GM
    My faction sheet. Finished
    Spoiler: The Oculiuris
    Show

Faction Name: The Oculiuris

Main Faction Concept:
    A cult of knowledge founded at the start of the fifth age by the Vampire treasure hunter Cyrax. While treasure hunting in an underwater ruin, he had a vision of billions of eyes surrounding him, and judging him. He felt as if all the future generations were disappointed in him. Even after he fled the ruins, he could still feel the eyes upon him, and could not shake the feeling of guilt. Cyrax was driven mad by the constant feeling of guilt, but from that madness came an epiphany. He saw the source of the constant warring and destruction, ignorance. If he destroyed ignorance, then the future generations could be saved from the constant cycle of destruction and rebuilding. Originally formed from his fellow ruin raiders, the Oculiuris promoted education and free exchange of ideas. Their core philosophy was that knowledge must be preserved and spread in order to avoid catastrophe. Taking that idea to the extreme, the leaders of the Oculiuris Ihave linked their minds together into a hivemind. The headquarters is in the Dead Republic, but it has many hidden chapter houses all over the world.
    Component Concepts

Minor Concepts:
    Knowledge is Power (+1 Influence Production) - The Oculiuris use their intelligence networks to blackmail those in power. The Oculiuris use them to advance their agenda of free education to all.
    Thousand eyes (+1 Espionage Conflict Rolls) - The Oculiuris have spies and informants in many places, allowing them to learn the secrets of the world.They call their network the Thousand Eyes.
    Power and Prestige (+1 Influence Production) - The leaders of the Oculiuris are rich and well connected. They use the prestige of their positions and family to make deals and attract more peons.
    High Society (+1 Wealth Production) - Many of the Oculiuris members have built up wealth both through the ancient knowledge they uncover and the modern secrets they pilfer.
    Ruin Raiders (+2 wealth production) - The members of the Oculiuris are filled with experienced treasure hunters. They use the funds they receive from selling ancient artifacts to fund their organization.
    Hidden in Plain Sight (+2 espionage conflict rolls) - The Oculiuris's members are not easily identified. They do not wear symbols or uniforms. They do perform rituals. They quietly advance the Oculiuris's agenda and only know their immediate superior in the organization. This makes it difficult to locates or infiltrate the Oculiuris.
    Mindbreaker (+4 espionage conflict rolls) - The Oculiuris employ a powerful form of mind magic that can destroy one's identity, leaving only memories to be harvested.
    Heritage Concept:
    Of One Mind (+3 unity production) - The Oculiuris's hive mind removes disagreements among the inner circle.

Inheritance Concept: Potato garden. (+5 to potato production)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viirin View Post
    Alright, alright, I'll post it finally.

Spoiler: Exterminators Guild
    Show

Faction Name: Exterminators Guild

Main Faction Concept: Originally developed during the settling of Stone's Throw by the Khaloric Swarm by order of Empress Dorian Cook, the Exterminators have always maintained a respectable position in whatever civilization they have ever been part of, usually focused on emergency defense, scouting, diplomat escort, army support, and civil welfare.

The Exterminators Guild receives funding from businesses, religions, governments, individuals, their own production, adventuring, donations, and many other sources. Low- or Null- income people can set quests for home repair, deliveries, monster slayings, or anything else. Normally such quests would be undesirable to an exterminator, but since the income doesn't necessarily come from the client, helping an old man to fix his fence might yield three months salary in gold because it was intentionally overpaid by the state.
    Sometimes no pay is given, sometimes minor pay compared to the quest requirements. Those who earn respect in their local guild branch easily get compensated for their patience and obedience, and clients who invent complaints are easily refused further services henceforth.

Component Concepts

Minor Concept: Thematic Consequence (+1 Unity)
    No one knows why, but preparing for the wrong type of dungeon often gets Exterminators killed, almost as if they're being directly targeted for being stupid. Wear a fur coat inside a fire dungeon? You're probably going to have to fight something that breathes fire, whereas the other party members wearing smarter clothing don't get targeted at all, or see a creature with such an ability to begin with.

Minor Concept: Magic Door (+1 Influence)
    The Exterminators agree that dungeon entrances are a strange phenomenon. A 20 foot wide hill might have a dungeon entrance on one side, and go straight forward for a full mile, even though that shouldn't be possible given the geographical constraints. What's more, that the area around an entrance and the type of dungeon seem to blend into one another; sometimes you have to travel quite a bit inside to even know you're in a dungeon because it looks like the city's walls or whatever else.

Minor Concept: Mutation Acquisition (+1 Military)
    It's a widely known fact, to Exterminators at least, is that creatures in dungeons gain odd abilities periodically, and those abilities or other types of changes that make the creatures more dangerous often spread through the entire population of that type of monster, but only if it is killed inside the dungeon and its body left there. Learning new fighting abilities due to ever-changing combatants serves a purpose.

Minor Concept: Quest Reward (+1 Unity)
    The fact that any quest might reward s/he/they who complete it a substantially higher pay than would otherwise be expected unites the Exterminators in the shared hope of a gambler. On the client side, it makes those excessively wealthy happy to save so much money as long as they don't overdo it, and those destitute are pleased to be treated with dignity.

Moderate Concept: Expel Overflow (+2 Espionage)
    When dungeons aren't invaded for long enough and the creatures inside are able to breed to the point they get crowded, the excess population leaves the safety of their dungeon and come out to the vicinity, becoming even more aggressive than usual.
    Information about the other side is easily able to be acquired this way. Luckily, the Guild has offices near each such known entrance.

Moderate Concept: Treasure Chests (+2 Influence)
    Sometimes some type of container might be located within a dungeon. Sometimes they even seem to appear just behind an adventurer as soon as they turn their back- turning around again could get them something valuable or useful.
    Because of the spreading of this knowledge, the Exterminators Guild periodically acquires some hopeful volunteers, since it isn't safe for someone without training to enter such places.

Advanced Concept: Untraceable Income (+4 Wealth)
    The centuries-old tradition of ensuring accredited volunteers never learn the connection between their payment and their client ensures professional behavior is observed in all interactions, no matter how major or minor.
    No government or other organization makes attempts to demand such information because it's so intentionally convoluted on every level.

Heritage Concept: Insect Hive (+3 Influence)
    The Exterminators Guild was first formed of ray-das, but wildwings joined almost immediately after. Since humanoid insects breed and mature at a higher rate than mammals and have more potent forms of pack instincts and tradition, most Exterminators Guilds primarily employ spiders and moths (drider, galan, wildwing).

Quote Originally Posted by Novabomb View Post
    Spoiler: Administratum of Awn
    Show

Faction Name: Administratum of Awn

Main Faction Concept: Core Domestic Governing body for the republic of Awn.

Component Concepts

Minor Concept: Bureaucracy
    The Administratum is more than any individual. Anyone can be replaced, and the system will carry on. (Unity +1)

Minor Concept: Detailed Records
    The Administratum keeps detailed records of its activities and audits. (+1 to Espionage)

Minor Concept: National Organization
    The Administratum is a significant part of the Awnite government. It exists in all provinces, though the local branches may vary in strength. (?)

Minor Concept: Uniform Policy
    The Administratum was originally formed to govern most domestic affairs in the lands of the Principal of Awn.
    The Administratum has since spread to all provinces. Awn decreed that the administratum would function the same through all provinces. (Unity +1)

Moderate Concept: Liberty Guild
    The Administratum has direct management of the Liberty Guild which is responsible for the resolution of conflicts between citizens. (+2 Influence)

Moderate Concept: Guild Oversight
    The Administratum is responsible for overseeing the "state" guilds. It is responsible for the resolution of conflicts between guilds, and taxing them. As part of it's power of taxation, it can audit. With sufficient mismanagement, it can replace the head of the guild but this is difficult. (+1 Wealth, +1 Influence)

Advanced Concept: Treasury Dispenser
    The Administratum is responsible for distributing the wealth of the nation of Awn to the various "Governing Institutions". Most of the funds are earmarked by ancient agreements, but the Administratum is responsible for actually transporting the wealth (And collecting it in the first place see below). (+4 Influence)

Heritage Concept: Tax Collector
    The Administratum is responsible for the collection of taxes from the citizenry of Awn. (+3 Weath)

Inheritance Concept: TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by GameOfChampions View Post
    Sorry I was a little slow on this but here is my faction, The Crimson Enigmas. LEt me know if its all good and I'm cleared to head over to the game.

Spoiler: Crimson Enigmas
    Show
    Faction Name: The Crimson Enigmas

Main Faction Concept: The Crimson Enigmas are a high end smuggling group who specialize in bringing in high end weapons, both modern and ancient, and gear as long as the buyers don’t have too many questions as to where it comes from. The group started off as a small group buying/stealing army grade weapons and gear and reselling it to the various groups and organizations throughout a handful of cities in the Khaganate. They were founded by Josiah Payne, who had grown up among several of the southern cities travelling around with merchant parents, before joining the army. After her first few years of service she was promoted to quartermaster and that was when she realized the possibilities inherent in her position. Using a few of her friends back home she started the small business of reselling small amounts of used army weapons, gear, and supplies that wouldn’t be missed.

During the rest of Josiah’s stint in the army she organized a small group of contacts and groomed her successor, for when she left the army, to still have access to the gear. Once she got back home and assumed command of the growing organization business sky rocketed and they outstripped the competition with their solid supply of high grade military weapons and gear. Now years later they have dominated the illegal weapons trade market and are looking to expand their holdings given the new political climate evolving. They are expanding into artifact hunting, mage procurement, and are keeping an eye on high end military developers for any new tech to be created and then hopefully stolen.

Their symbol is a bright red thickly drawn check mark.

Component Concepts

Minor Concepts:

Military Contacts (+1 to Military Conflict) - The Crimson Enigmas have contacts among military all over the southern Khaganate by now and have recruited many serving military members into their group and ex-military members.

Criminal Contacts (+1 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - Much like how they had recuited military members into the organization the Crimson Enigmas also had recuited many members with criminal ties or criminals themselves to help them manage and move their illegal product.

Crime Pays (+1 to Wealth Production) - The main goal of their organization had been wealth, for a long time that was all they were focused on, and as such the group has managed to grow many permanent contracts that have kept money flowing within the organization while they now focus on bigger things.

Criminals Grapevine (+1 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - The Crimson Enigmas enjoy a good reputation in the underworld as following through with payment and deliveries of promised goods. As such now that they have started to spread beyond the handful of cities they had operated in they are not having much trouble finding criminal operatives ready to join up.

Moderate Concepts:

Tomb Raiders (+2 to Wealth Production) - The Crimson Enigmas have recently taken to raiding ancient ruins and lost civilizations for their high end tech. Many noble houses, military commanders, and criminal enterprises all vie to be the first to buy these rare pieces that could be game changing items. The Enigmas often hold secret bidding wars to get the best deals they can which ends with them rolling in piles of money.

Trained Operatives (+2 to Espionage Conflict Rolls) - Recently The Crimson Enigmas have had to start training operatives specially in order to successfully steal, or find these rare pieces. Sometimes they need to be able to out maneuver other parties or steal it from parties that have it and are not quite willing to let it go. Payne took all of the most loyal members she had who had some sort of experience with this line of work and payed out the nose for training and gear, giving them a year before starting to send them out. The wait was worth the cost, beware crossing the Enigmas lest you find a crimson line across your neck...

Advanced Concept:

Large and In Charge (+2 to Influence and +2 Unity) - Josiah Payne has crafted this organization on her own back, and often times through sheer force of will and personality. This has resulted in many of the original members being fiercely loyal to the women and that loyalty has dribbled down through the ranks to even the rank and file. Her uncanny ability to remember names and personal details has helped cement the loyalty to her among the lower ranks thanks to her personal touch.

Her powerful personality and founding position of the group has led her to be the one mostly doing the major deals and meetings with buyers, granting her access to many influential and powerful men and women over the years. She has been careful to cultivate personal relationships with several over years and has firm friends to help her with her goals.

Heritage Concept:
    Treasure Hunters (+3 to Exploration ???) - Once Payne started to expand into treasure hunting she managed to lure an ancient Luug, Dantil Welloue, out of retirement to join her in what she promised would be a revival of the treaasure hunting era.
    You all look fine. Move on to the game thread. I'm including those I've already responded to for completions sake. Good luck everyone and Happy New Years.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-01-12 at 07:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Default 12/1/2019

Turn 2 has begun for those interested. If you need any help with your sheet, the world, the rules, etc message me.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-01-12 at 07:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Default 23/1/2019

We're now a couple days into turn three now and we have about a week left for the official recruitment period.

If you're interested please state your interest. If you have any questions feel free to ask them.