New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Under the Ice 5e IC

From your separate corners of the Wastes, you had come together in a small tavern in the heart of Scavenge. For a moment you had forgotten about the cold outside as you sipped a warm mug of ale from a dented and grimy mug, conversing like old friends.

But this was more of a business proposition.

You all had very selective knowledge the others all wanted- locations of ancient a terrifying temples and libraries built by those who served what madness lurked Under the Ice. For your various reasons, you all had decided to roam the ice, visiting and plundering these locations one by one.

However, the road lies open ahead of you. Where do you want to go first?
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Under the Ice 5e IC

Dusk sits in her chair and watches people drink and get warm. As a Warforged, she had no need to eat Or drink, and thusly couldn't do so. She found herself wondering idly what drunkenness was like. Fortunately her Raven distracted her from such pointless thoughts by climbing onto her head. The raven looked at the person directly across the table from Dusk. "Murder! Murrrderrr" The raven called playfully, imitating a female voice. Dusk gave a loud sigh. "Shut up you goofy bird."

After taking a moment to calm her familiar, she would speak up. "I have heard of something of note. I have only heard of rumors, so I can't say what is true. I heard there was a valley to the west, between several mountains. Supposedly there used to be an ancient city there. The rumors differ on who built it, But they all say that long ago the tunnel into city collapsed. Supposedly this caused water to build up in the valley and the city was flooded. I hear a recent earthquake collapsed a way into the valley, and the water has drained." Dusk shrugs slightly, but looks curious. "Apparently now the issue is that the later of ice above that giant lake never melts, and some of the buildings help hold the ice layer up. I hear one scout got in and claimed the city was suspiciously intact given the flooding. Sadly that's all I've heard about that particular place. I can't vouch for it existing or not though. We all know how legends grow with time."
    Last edited by Mai; 2018-12-01 at 07:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Little
    Goliath Black Mage & Familiar & Mount
    HP: 62/62 & HP: 40/40 & HP: 59/59
    Conditions: -- & Conditions: -- & Conditions: --
    Concentrating On: --

"Little" as she was known to a few in these parts (and by other nicknames hopefully not associated with that one in the minds of the few others who had heard certain dark rumors) had heard rumor of a woman who had found the location of a lost library beneath the ice. Rumor was she was searching for just one book in particular.
    One rumor claimed it was a family registry bound in a solid platinum covering that would prove her the rightful heir to certain artifacts, titles, and lands much contested.
    Another that it was a volume of tales and poems that in turn contained clues to a secret treasure or pocket dimension.
    A third rumor that it was a manual for the creation of a dragonbone or maybe demonflesh golem. Or was it a blood elemental?

In any case, Little was intrigued enough to seek this woman out. Knowing that she would likely be hired for the job in exchange for the likely rather unfair deal of being able to keep whatever it was she wished she found there, given the rarity of anyone of learning who could properly identify the right tome in these lands. Especially any who would be willing to brave such dangers.

So she tracked down these rumors to a particular tavern in Scavenge named....
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-12-02 at 04:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The strong-built dragonborn sipped from his ale, pale blue eyes piercing each intently. He listened to the machine’s words and considered them for a moment. He had found the undying servant of the Raven Queen a curiosity and a pleasant enigma. “This riddle sounds worthy of our time. Many bodies of knowledge would be preserved in such a place. I have heard a scrollhouse of unusual merit may reside there.”
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2018-12-01 at 07:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, Contains many bodies of Knowledge, Lets not add our bodies to its collection...

Gurik's face barely rose up above the level of the table itself. He works himself up to standing on his chair, leaning over the table a little bit.

Now, He says in a more hushed tone Are you talking about Gilmast? He waves his hands promptly, using a minor illusion cantrip to generate a ghostly swirling map on the table. It's barely visiable, just changing the hues and widths of the knot lines in the wood with darker labels dotting various areas. his eyes quickly scan the outer edges of the room for anyone that could be listening in.

{Knowledge, itself isn't exactly valuable here in scavenge.}
    His voice echoes into everyone's heads at the table {But a good way to get yourselves killed, looted and jumped is to announce to strangers around you That you know where potential salvaging cites may be.}

{You might be new here, and I can forgive you for that. But talking openly about anything that could have gold, magic or, most importantly, POWER this far up north is asking all of us to get jumped}

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGirl

Dusk nods, and whuspers "My bad. Though I sadly lack your method of communication. But I suppose I can think of something." Though she was intending to be quiet, her raven opened it's beak, only for for Dusk to order the raven to keep it quiet. So murder decided to try to jump into Gurik's shoulder. "Hello.. body... collection?"
    Last edited by Mai; 2018-12-01 at 09:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Little

...The Wrong Bird. A place that somehow fit its name, as difficult as that should have been.

After over an hour of asking around and waiting, Little was fairly convinced her contact wasn't here. Disappointed, but hardly surprised, that such a fortuitous rumor wound up being off or maybe even completely fictional, she'd decided to leave just as she heard something like what she'd been listening out for. Looking to the source of the words, she found herself lucking out. She directly behind and in the blind spot of a goblin that she noticed was trying to see if what those at the table were up to was being watched. As she took a few careful steps closer, she saw the faint illusion of a map. A map of a place that certainly wasn't on any of the region's charts that she'd ever seen.

Perhaps this was what the rumors had been formed from. Or mayhap it was just some lucky coincidence. Either way, a lost place to scavenge for lost tomes and the like was something appealing to her. Now... how to insert herself into this group's plans? She mulled this over and concluded on....

...A few moments later a faerie dragon with yellow gem-like scales seemingly drunkenly swoops around the goblin's head and crashed onto the table right onto the illusionary map. As this happens the "young girl" approaches so quickly she practically slams into the back of the goblin's chair and says in a childish voice, "Oh I'm so sorry about Citrine! She didn't knock over any of your drinks did she?" Even as she's saying the second part she's clearly seen the map as she leans down over the table to examine it from about half an inch away from her eyes. "Oh, pretty!" she states not quite loudly, but not quite quietly either. Then she claps a hand over her mouth and says to the people seated at the table in a hushed tone, "Sorry sorry! That's not the kind of thing you'd want everyone here looking at I guess yeah?"
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-12-02 at 04:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

”Mind-speaker, I do not fret, as these street-walkers do not live long beyond these halls. Speaking of rumors may lead them to the Master’s table sooner than later”

Framed by two stiffly standing and heavily cloaked figures at his back, Ventrix sat poised as if just as ready to spring as to recline. These cloaked guards had not moved since they took post watching the other tables. The dragonborn added, ”Yet, caution is warranted, I concede. These whispers remain worth our consideration.”
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2018-12-01 at 09:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Gurik was comfortable with a Murder taking interest in him; he dealt with animals all day. He paid the bird little more attention then a soft rub on the head, as he listened to what the white dragonborn had to say. I can work with cautions and whispers... But

The swooping Faerie Dragon however, was not something Gurik was expecting.

He immediately drops the illusion, and his spine stiffens like a cat dunked in water before taking a quick glance over the new familiar in front of him.

Hashuitzit!?! Why I... Oh..? ooh... Oh, Hello there little one...

Standing on the edge of the chair and leaning in almost to the extent of falling face first on the table.

Oh, My... Are you a Draconis Faeteninus? And how did you get all the way up here, lil'un? She is Very Impressive. Our connections to the Feywild are tedious at best... in fact... I'm currently working on a thesis about the severed connection to the Feywilds is a large part of why we are stuck in everwinter in the north here...

He gently examines Citrine, trying to decipher what breed of Faerie Dragon specifically she is.

That's part of the reason, I believe, that the Giant-kin are so rampant up in these parts; The Fae serve as a natural counter balance. No Fae, nothing to stop the Giants from roaming... The Giants and their kin aren't capable of Real magic, as you know... nothing that could manage a bridge to the Feywild and bind a brilliant specimen like THIS! How did you manage...

He turns around to look at the Goliath Magus standing behind him...
    Last edited by Son of A Lich!; 2018-12-02 at 01:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fascinating. You know, we could always do our "considering" in more private quarters," Malathorn added softly, cutting a lean figure in spite of his heavy armor and the thick pelt about his shoulders. He bore no visible weapon but even in the tavern he kept his helmet on. "I worry less about the scum of this city than to whom they may talk."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Little

Not sure if they were not responding directly to her words either to avoid bringing more attention to what they'd been discussing or to try and hope the "child" would get confused and leave, Little just decided to roll with that kind of behavior if that's what these people were going to do.
    She did wonder if the marveling over her familiar was genuine or not. If it was, it wasn't a topic she'd be uninterested in discussing at least. But she couldn't assume it was either.

"We're going somewhere more private to discuss Faerie Dragons? Ok. Where to!?" Little asks with exuberance. By her thinking either they're fooled by the child act and she can continue trying to make it difficult for them to not go along with it or they're be able to tell it's false and hopefully have to good sense to go somewhere more private where they can all be more frank about things. Well.... or they might decided either way to try and take her somewhere unseen and slit her throat, but she's not terribly worried about her chances of escaping such a situation. Even if these individuals are tougher than they look, the construction of the buildings around here were such that it would be easy enough to make an exit where there previous was none.

As an afterthought (or at least her false persona's afterthought) she adds, "This is Citrine by the way. Say hello to the nice people Citrine."

Citrine for her part, very dryly for a voice that actually somehow conveys the sparkling of gemstone, remarks, <"Hello to the nice people Citrine."> in Draconic.

Spoiler
    Show

If someone wants to use Golden Rode that I've used for Citrine here just let me know and I'll use something else for her.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGirl

Lightbulb Re: Under the Ice 5e IC

Dusk watched this with some minor irritation. What was she doing? Why intervene. And why would this thing just randomly end up on their table right after talk of keeping things quiet. This was obviously some kind of trick to listen in. Or at least that was one of Dusk's thoughts. She supposed it was possible that this was some accident. But why assume she was invited and that they wanted to talk about the pseudo-Dragon thing.

Well Gurik had been talking about it. And that just brought her thoughts around to him. "Why would fae be the counter to giants? Maybe it's just my lack of fae knowledge... But I've never heard of far and giants being at war or something." Dusk asks, curious.
    Last edited by Mai; 2018-12-03 at 11:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Roll for deception
    Show
    (1d20+2)[15]
    Gurik is very smart, but whenever he is faced with knowledge of things he can't possibly know, he will Gladly make things up on the spot. Consummate know-it-all, Gurik always has an answer, even if it's complete rubbish. Or maybe he's on to something, who knows?

"Ah! Yes, well... Giants, as you know, are slaves to a... sort of... " he works his hands together trying to find the right words "Psuedo-religious principle called "The Ordening". Giants, in the era before time, were carved from the elemental planes essence and given mortal shape... Thus why you have Fire Giants and Rock Giants and so forth. Any way, the Giant's natural state is being categorized into tiers of grandeur based on this Ordening. Heavier elements are on the bottom, and lighter elements on top. Hill Giants and rock giants on the bottom, The Fire, then water, er Frost, then Air Specifcally Cloud and then Storm.

The Fey wilds, however, is predicated on Magic being Natural. The Believe of the individual will shape the nature of reality in a fundamental form of rudimentary magic, and since Giants are elemental in nature and Fae-folk naturally have a disposition to manipulating their very core beliefs as easily as... say... you know the way to the grocer. This is why I believe that the lack of Fae in the northern continent is why the Giant and Giant Kin are so disposed to settle here. They are without a very important natural predator, as per Mercer's Theorem of Hyper-competition, in On Leylines and Magic Disposition of Native Beasts.

He pauses and eyes up the table, appearing to be looking for praise, but in reality he's looking for who believes him and who is politely being quiet.

"It's an excellent read, if you have the chance."
    He quiets his voice slightly "But I have a room here, at The Wrong Bird, we can ward it and discuss things privately there..."
    Last edited by Son of A Lich!; 2018-12-04 at 02:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight (1d20+8)[15] Not sure whom tie goes to, but Ventrix probably smells the scent of manure.

The white dragonborn stared long at the speaker. ”Dragons and giants are ancient foes. Fey are newcomers to that feud. Yet, a private hall is better to discuss bad blood and new...opportunities.”
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2018-12-04 at 01:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Little

There is only the tiniest moment of being completely unimpressed on Little's face before she resumes her facade of an overly curious child. "I see I see. Uh huh." she replies nodding her head along, as if she half understood what was being said. At the mention of going somewhere else, she picks Citrine off the table, by the tail causing the faerie dragon to have to flap her wings to be in any control over her positioning, and places Citrine on the inner brim of her hat. Then she takes a step back away from the table so she's not in the way of people getting up and waits for the goblin to lead the way.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Ohhh. New opportunities? Lea asked clearly interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh! Yes, many Exciting new opportunities..." Gurik says with a small hop from the chair, reeling for a slight second from his left knee with a wince "But lets make our way to privacy for the details."

His walks along side the Dragonborn, guiding the group to his room.

"Clearly" He says with a small chuckle "You aren't that familiar with Mercer's work, allow me to explain..." He starts to ramble, hastily peppering in names of wizards and scholars as he walks the party along to his room, in a very round about way of trying to wow the cleric with what he knows but trying so hard to look confident in his information.

Spoiler: Gurik's mind-whisper to Little (No Peeking!)
    Show
    {As a man of scholarly works, I don't believe in Fate or Destiny...}Gurik's voice, in between pauses and breaks of his ramblings, seeps into Little's mind. {But I also Don't believe in coincidences. Your breech into the fey wilds is very intruiging, especially at such a young age. If you are looking for work, we could use someone with your mastery of arcana...} as he leaves the common area, he motions subtly for her. {Just follow us, I'll vouch for you if there is any trouble}

"... And, so... Naturally, it's not so much a "War" per say, between the Giants and Fey, just... Natural selection on an arcane scale... eh... of sorts, so you see" He sighs loudly, proud of his... 'Recovery' of the little fib he just told. He holds the door open to his room and ushers everyone in. Once everyone is inside, he takes out a fist full of rice and salt and scatters it across the floor. He waits a moment, closes the door and prepares an Alarm Ritual.

"This may take a brief moment, so lets all take the time to introduce ourselves to each other..."
    His eyes scan the room to the strangers around "Who are you, what are you looking for specifically in the dig site, and what can you bring to the table for the group?" He gently starts to unspool silvery thread from one of his many Many pockets of his overalls.

"Well?.. Who wants to go first?"

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm Lea, Skald and warrior I'm trained in keeping morale up, hampering our foes, and shiving them repeatedly with the sharp pointy end, repeatedly. Lea remarked.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Only when the group retired to the relative safety and privacy of Gurik's room did Malathorn remove his helmet, revealing a man with clear elven features, fair skin and long, dark hair, seemingly approaching middle age. "I am Malathorn, holy warrior and scholar of the arcane. I believe with that, you have my motivation and skillset both," he said curtly.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGirl

Dusk follows the group happily enough. And when they finally enter the room. She sits on the ground and seems perfectly comfortable doing so. Her raven familiar hops round on her head and shoulders, and mimics any words he finds to be fun. He begins saying "Thorn of canes!" happily. "Most of you, or at least them,"(Dusk nods to Gurik and centric) "know me. My name is Dusk, cleric of the Raven Queen. I am also a Warforged, should that matter to anyone." Dusk shrugs as she ends her introduction.

21. - Top - End - #21

The pale dragonborn’s overly cloaked escorts filed in before and behind him. He let the rambler share his soul, listening and occasionally glancing toward the speaker to affirm that he indeed listened. Once in the room, Ventrix selected a chair that faced the door. The two guards took a stand on opposite sides of his chair as Ventrix sat.

”I am also a servant of the Ultimate Master, though I claim no preference to Her many aspects. I am known as Ventrix to my kindred, and Wispcaller to many tribes of the Wastes. Pray tell, generous host, who are you?”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Gurik finishes up with the alarm ritual before cautiously taking the center of the small room.

"I... am Gurik Runepicker... well, technically, Grisslewort at birth but that clan... we're not going to get into the finer details of goblin nomadic societies here. I am Gurik Runepicker."

he collects himself briefly, pulling his hood down and revealing a thinning head of red hair with white roots. For a goblin, he seems to wear clothes that look like they may be a few sizes too big for him. He confidently throws one end of his scarf over his shoulder for a Touch of flair.

"By trade... due to circumstances of the north here... I'm mostly a guide or ranger. I help new comers to the north find safe passage to whatever destination they are heading too."

with a casual use of prestidigitation, he dims the lights and hushes his voice...

"But by profession, I'm researching the cities under the snow... And more specifically... I want to free the north of the Everwinter, and I think the cities below may have details as to how we would accomplish that..."

He takes a quick scan of the people in the room and their reactions.

"I am nearly 50 winters old... I don't know how long it would take for me to find a solution to the problem of the Everwinter... My knees are starting to give and i'm not as young as I used to be. I need help, help from able bodied people like you all. I can only look through so many librarys with the time I have left on this realm, I can only fend off so many Owlbears or wights..."

"What I am looking for, first and foremost, is new cities from before the Everwinter. Details, specifics, ways to find them and what we can expect beneath them. I do have a few magic tricks I've learned in research down beneath the snow..."

He buries his head under his scarf a bit in shame.

"I... Never had the time or means to go to an actual university to practice magic amidst the great scholars... But I can't leave this being without..."

He looks around the room a bit, putting his hood back up.

"Without being something before I go... I want to help provide a better future for my children, my grandchildren, my great grand children. I can't leave, knowing that the bitter cold is just going to force them into lives of strife, bending the knee to whatever beast holds a micron of power over them."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Little

Little let's Gurik's words hang in silence for a moment so that the rest of the people in the room don't get tonal whiplash when she speaks up to say, "My name is Kuori, but most people call me Little! I used to have a tribe, but I don't now. So I make my own tribe now, sort of. I conjure things like food and water, familiars, beasts, even elementals and elemental and darker forces."

"I was in a place with information before. But I read everything there. So I'm looking for places with more information. But those kinds of places are rare and dangerous. So it sure would be nice to go with a strong looking group like you all." she finishes, laying on the charm probably a little bit too thick and clumsily.

Spoiler
    Show

I figure word of what she did to her tribe may have reached this area by now. But it's hardly "big news" for most people. So I'm thinking with the information she laid out, it might be enough for someone to put the clues together. But really just one person as it's not like it's hot news or anything. I'll leave it up to that person how much of the details they know (and whether they received any distorted information) and whether or not to say anything. Just please say so in the OOC if you want to claim your character is the one who knows so we don't wind up with a silly situation like somehow everyone knows.

I also think it probably shouldn't be Gurik because Little and Gurik have already had a decent amount of interaction already compared to other characters and I'd like to mix it up a little. Pun intended.

Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-12-06 at 08:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGirl

Dusk listens and nods. "So we have made our introductions... And if this is the group we will be pursing this with... Let us get back to discussing where we are heading and what we may need to get there and as we work?" Dusk asks, trying to bring the topic back to it's more important subject. Despite this she doesn't seem angry or bugged. Merely more interesting in the bigger picture. Murder the raven hops around energetically.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"I confess that this library, even the rumors of it, are unknown to me," Malathorn admitted. "What sort of journey are we preparing for? Any rumor of guardians, or rival knowledge-seekers? And should we arrive and find the entrance buried beneath tons of ice or rock, does one of you know a spell to remove or circumvent such an obstacle?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-12-09 at 02:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Little

"Earth elementals are good at moving rocks around I imagine. Or I could turn someone into a very large creature." Little replies to Malathorn's question.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGirl

Dusk nods. "One of the arcane Cantrips I learned is mold earth. I could probably use that to move frozen earth out of the way, though it would take a while to use it to tunnel through any frozen soil, rock, or potentially ice." Dusk shrugs slightly. "was for guardians, any city with a library so steeped in folklore probably has it's fair share. And given the seclusion of such a hidden place.... And the darkness in some of these submerged areas.." Dusk thinks out loud, pacing slightly..."I would expect creatures that can deal with cold and dark places. But I doubt there is abundant food. Though if there are warmer areas in this place, I suppose fungi could grow... I imagine it's gaurdian would thrive in darkness, and is probably the type to desire ancient knowledge."

28. - Top - End - #28

I admittedly, never studied much of my tribe's lore.... Maybe we could find someone who knows? Lea comments.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"I suppose then we shall have to outfit ourselves for the journey, plus a potentially long search for an entrance, followed by a possible lengthy excavation, and combat with fellow treasure-seekers and potential guardians. Again, unless we have some means of providing for ourselves magically, a large purchase of provisions will surely be noticed. I have lived in these parts for long enough to provide for myself, maybe even for the rest of us, but finding game is never a sure thing."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Little

Little gives Malathorn a blank stare, as she had not more than a minute before announced her ability to conjure food and water. Admittedly, she doesn't feel like it would be a bad idea for others to actually buy extra provisions so they didn't have to rely on her ability to do so.