Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Under the Ice 5e IC

"Can you conjure food and water for the whole party indefinitely?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Getting enough food for a week or so excursion isn't going to raise too many eyebrows, especially this time of year. Gurik explains, passively.

He sits cross-legged on the floor and uses Minor illusion to make a map of the surrounding area along the floor.

Worse comes to worse, Gaulgori and I can find some good-eating for all of us, but I'd rather we didn't spend our time rummaging around for food. We don't know what will be down in the depths under the ice, but whatever it is, it likely doesn't need to eat what we would consider food. From time to time, we get little packs of... things... that aren't of the mortal realms.

He changes the illusion to show what he has seen in his many travels.

So there IS an ecosystem down there, whatever it may consist of. Personally, I think the best we can do in preparation for the trip is create a rumor that a better excursion site is over here.

Spoiler: Rolls and such
    Show

Survival (1d20+1)[4]
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+8)[27]

This is to find a death trap, an area that is lesser known for it's danger; somewhere people can be sent off to and be expected to not come back if you don't know what your getting yourself into...

If no such place exists, I'll go for somewhere that is just simply out of the way, a red herring or difficult-to-navigate terrain.

I would even be willing to put some coin forward to hire some lowly undesirable type vultures to "scout it out for us"... That way, any of the more experienced Vultures will be more inclined to follow them into the dark while we go undisturbed.

Of course... Letting a few shmucks walk in and trigger any of the dangers isn't always a bad idea... but regardless, after we examine the site and get what we can hold, I recommend doing a sweep for the stray sheep that managed to pick through the site first and couldn't make it through the blizzard that may be on route. We're over due for one, you know...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Dusk listens and nods. "I wouldn't be against putting out false rumors that lead to the wrong location. But i'd rather not lead desperate people intentionally to their death. But searching the area for people who may have already been there is perfectly reasonable. As a cleric I can summon food and water, those won't trouble us. Are you all supplies for the winter? Hypothermia is more likely than lack of food or water."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Let me talk to the merchants for any wears we need. I'm quite used to getting my way. Lea lets out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Little
    Goliath Black Mage & Familiar & Mount
    HP: 62/62 & HP: 40/40 & HP: 59/59
    Conditions: -- & Conditions: -- & Conditions: --
    Concentrating On: --

Little gives Malathorn a nod and then nods in Dusk's direction before saying, "Yes. If Ms. Dusk's spell works the same as mine, either of us could conjure enough to feed more than our group with a single casting each day. Though of course it would be better if we didn't need to and could save our spells for..... solving problems. So if you have money, buying extra rations wouldn't be a bad idea."

6. - Top - End - #36

NecromancerGirl

Dusk nods, and moves her winter cloak out of the the way stretching slightly. "I suppose we can all imagine what we need to get, if we don't have it. Let us move to the next topic of discussion. How will we travel? If nothing else we should avoid walking haphazardly a cross the Ice and snow. If need be we could grab a donkey and cart, or a wagon. But if so I suggest we find a way to not leave a trail."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ventrix listened , pale eyes moving purposefully between the speakers. He then added, ”I have three of my Master’s horses that will not tire over ice or across leagues. I believe the servant of the Lady could acquire more.”

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Little

'I have a Pegasus. So I don't need to get a mount, if that helps." Little states.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

So, it's settled then; We get simple provisions, horses for those of us without mounts, and lead a stray group to Hailfire and try to keep the lowlier of our problems at bay. We go in and try to find whatever information and books we can find. Artifacts and relics of the old world are to be sent off and the loot is divided up between us. Everyone fights, or everyone runs; There is no half-measure here. The wastes are not forgiving to those weak of heart.

we take what we can carry and we will decide on re-sealing the site upon leaving.

Wispwalker... eh... If Gaulgori happens to try and... um... sample... your master's gifts... Just... Just sternly tell her "No"... If she pretends to not hear you, let me know and... I'll do something about it. Gaugori has a... unusual pallet for the taste of the fallen... so to speak. I hope you don't take any offense to it, personally.

10. - Top - End - #40

The dragonborn snorted, creating thin curls of chill mist. “While all living grow from death, these servants would be hard to chew without their consent.”

11. - Top - End - #41

NecromancerGirl

Dusk nods. "I have an arcane cantrip for if the route gets too rough. I can move earth and stone to help make a path out of any normal stone or earth. So hopefully terrain itself won't be too hard, assuming I have the time to. And like my friend here, if need be, I can reanimate any horses that die from cold or damage. Though it uses up some daily resources. I assume such a thing probably would bug anyone here." Dusk shrugs nonchalantly. Death was no big deal here.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can summon a steed for myself, at least, and conjure a weapon whose flame does not burn out. Some provisions, then, and we should have all we need."

13. - Top - End - #43

I would in fact, need a horse. Lea admits looking down at the floor.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #44

NecromancerGirl

Dusk nods as people speak. "As to horses... Ventrix mentioned having 3. There is a chance he might let you guys ride them, depending. They are his after all. Given we are all of some experience from the sound of it, it shouldn't be too hard to procure more if that's not an option." Dusk speaks in a tone of voice that seems like someone is trying to verbally shrug.

"So it seems as if this is winding down. Shall we go make any final supply purchases? Or is there other matter to address first?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

There is a butchery down the road where we can get some salted meats and dried provisions, any equipment would likely have to be bartered in this town. It's named Salvage for a reason, y'know.

I'll send a mind whisper around dawn, and we can set off to the site. I'd recommend preparing yourselves for the bizarre and undead, with holy magics devoted to restorations. We don't know what kind of diseases and toxins they could carry down there, but it's always best to be prepared for such magically.

AND ROPE!
    he says with a sudden realization We shouldn't expect the opening to be a simple archway! It's likely going to involve spelunking down into the depths below. I have a wide range available to myself, pre-knotted, a trick I learned from a sailor named Chalara back to the east of... never mind, it's not important, but it always comes in handy at unusual circumstances.

Now... Lea... let us see if we can find some young gents and ladies looking to make some quick coin and spread rumors to lead the other vultures astray, yeah? I think...

He looks over to Dusk, and sees the disapproving glare coming from her face...

He takes her hand in one of his and pats the back of it with his other, in a very grandfatherly sort of way I'm Sure they will be fine, they'll probably turn tail at the first sign of trouble and come home. Nothing to worry about at all, dear...

Spoiler: Deception roll
    Show
    (1d20+4)[12]

He scuttles back over to Lea and starts explaining what they would look for to identify a scrap savager in this part of the wastes as he and Lea go out the door.

16. - Top - End - #46

The draconic cleric motioned toward the tall guard at his side. ”Falkstav will bear you on his mount.”

Falkstav bowed his head before returning to his vigil.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

"Excellent. When and where shall we meet up before we embark?"

18. - Top - End - #48

Lea intones a few words under her breath, before booking an all around best tavern tour of the city.

With supernatural charm and grace, does Lea start using the voice of a goddess to lead travelers astray.

~Outthere on the frigid road, lies riches untold.....

Spoiler
    Show

Performance (1d20+13)[33]
    Performance (1d20+13)[23]

19. - Top - End - #49

As you sing, those in the cramped tavern who look like they're out for coin perk up and are enraptured by your song. By the end of the sweeping tale of the gold hidden under the Hailfire Peak, a larger and burlier human male cries out "let us go to the mountain of the Wyrms! Come, my brothers and sisters, let us seek our fortune!" A cheer goes up from the crowd as they begin to stream out into the cold.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

20. - Top - End - #50

The deagonborn watched the fervor and quietly chanted, ”May their manied paths lead to the One Road all must walk, May their steps be swift and true, The Many-Faced One patiently waits your coming.”
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2018-12-19 at 06:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

NecromancerGirl

Dusk would approach as they marched out, likely to meet their deaths with a slight a scowl. She hasn't and wouldn't have wanted this. But the prayer was nice. She would turn to Ventrix and nod. He might follow another deity, but she could respect him for that. "And when they walk that one way road, may they be filled with courage. May no one attempt to turn back, and try to unduly deprive death of it's prize."

Dusk says in response to Ventrix and what he had said. Then she turns to the rest. "You all know now that if we find them frozen along the path, you have forced me to stop there and given them a proper death ceremony."
    Last edited by Mai; 2018-12-19 at 07:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Little

Little watches with an amused smirk at the crowd of people foolishly heading out to their deaths.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-12-19 at 08:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Malathorn likewise simply looked on, his expression unreadable.

24. - Top - End - #54

NecromancerGirl

Dusk heads out to the Lowry. Since everyone was going to be using horses, she supposed she needed to pick one up. Dusk headed out to take a look, and maybe she'd find a nice horse. Frankly at this point she didn't find herself worried if it was dead or alive. A skeletal horse was as good as a living one, and needn't fear disease or other issues.

25. - Top - End - #55

You approach one of the merchants around on the rickety wooden streets and platforms suspended high above the icy chasm below. A small man, you can't tell if they're a halfling or a gnome, is hawking some tired-looking and aged horses at the top of his lungs. As you approach, he twists his hardened and grizzled face into a smile, baring yellowed teeth. "Interested in a horse, are ye? Welp, it's a hunnerd for one of these fine animals. Best yer gonna find for miles," he says with a grin as he slaps the flank of one of the larger creatures. As you look in the alley behind, you see a horse carcass beginning to attract flies.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

26. - Top - End - #56

NecromancerGirl

Dusk turns towards the man. "My apologies, but I wouldn't but a good horse for that, let alone the oldest and most weary horses you have. They'd die a day into any trip." Dusk lowers her hood, and States at the man. There was the corpse, but a zombie horse would attract flies, she mu h prefered skeletal undead when undead were needed. And she didn't wish to hold everyone up to flay the flesh from it's bones. "If you don't wish to sell either at a decent price, or better horses, as a cleric of the raven queen, I have other alternatives."

(What condition is it in? It sounded like it just began attracting flies. Given the state of the others I would guess it's an old age type death not cut to bits?)

27. - Top - End - #57

As you inspect the horse in the alley, flies buzz around the rotted husk. Nearly all the flesh has been stripped off the bones, and what remains is thin and almost translucent. It wouldn't take more than an hour to reduce it to a skeletal form, but there still might be a bit of a smell.

28. - Top - End - #58

And that? Lea remarks with a raised eyebrow pointing to the body.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

"If these are the 'best around', you'd best go with your 'alternative'," Malathorn quipped, clearly showing little patience for the merchant, whom he turned towards to address directly. Drawing himself up to his full height and affecting his best tone of refined menace. "You wouldn't happen to know anywhere around here that healthier beasts might be purchased—would you?"

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate: (1d20+8)[25]

30. - Top - End - #60

He cowers. "No, far as I know, I sell the best horses around. It's hard, you know, raising horses in the arctic... 'specially with the missus sick, and the children hungry... I can give you a discount, if you'd like! 75 gold, final offer. And if you want that thing," he nods back towards the corpse, "5 gold and it's yours." He bows his head, visibly shaking.