New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Beginner 5E Game [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    Yuri opens her eyes as Dain finishes. The lightning in her irises has subsided somewhat, thanks in no small part to Dain's music. She takes a deep breath, and nods.

"I think so. Especially considering the sort of trouble they found the last time they went off together," she says, with a wry grin, clearly joking about that last part.

"Bwaha! Indeed!" Dain bellows at Yuri's comment. He stands up and heads to the door, holding it open and standing aside to let Yuri through first. "Shall we, Miss Yuri?" Dain says curtly and they head to the market in search of Aidan and Macil.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Colossus in the Playground

Dain and Yuri manage to run into Aidan and Macil as the two are traveling just beyond the governor's mansion. It's a simple matter to inform the two of what the plan is-selling the gemstones to the good Sir Worthram.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yuri eyes Macil and Aidan after they explain the plan. Something's obviously bothering her, though it's hard to tell just what.

"Do you both need to go? Surely just one of you could handle the sale, can't you?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

4. - Top - End - #634

You all head for Sir Worthram's abode, and manage to fetch a fine price for the gems. A little while passes, with you doing whatever you please, before you meet with Governor Fett for dinner.

As you enter Fett's dining room, you see the Governor himself, seated at the head of the table, along with a tabaxi man dressed in robes, a man in plate armor, with a shield and sword stowed away, and an elvish woman, dressed in fancier robes than the tabaxi.

They're talking animatedly when you enter-the tabaxi regaling them with some story, that ends just as you enter, eliciting some hearty laughter. "Ah, good evening!" Fett says when you come in. "Please, take a seat. I'd like you to meet who you'll be taking to meet our potential allies. Introduce yourselves, if you'd like."

"I am Dog," the tabaxi says. "I founded the Monastery Of The Stony Egg. But, due to its troubles, I've been working with the local guard, as someone who can go where the more heavily armored can't."

Spoiler: Intelligence DC 16, For The Monastery-Roll With Advantage If You Know Monasteries Well Due To Backstory
    Show
    The Stony Egg was a completely failed monastery. Not because Dog was bad, or anything-more because he never stuck in one place long enough to get a following, or a building. Rumour has it, though, that the titular Stony Egg is an artifact of some power.

The other man, seeing it's his turn, says "Verd NaShan. Captain of the guard."

And finally, the woman introduces herself. "Laughter Gembright, court wizard, or close enough to it for Indos."

"These three are people I'd trust with my life. Laughter and Verd have full permission to speak for me when dealing with Iarn," Fett says. Dog looks offended.

Verd chuckles, and says "Dog, you know full-well why the governor doesn't trust you to speak for him."

"Then why am I even going?" Dog asks.

"Because," Fett replies, "You notice things. Things others don't. Now, sit, eat, be merry-there will be time enough to be serious in the morning."

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #635

BardGuy

"Father Aidan Shadowmist, it is a pleasure to meet you all." Aidan shakes hands with those who offer it, but he refrains from anything but the basic pleasantries, and focuses on studying the new companions.

6. - Top - End - #636

MindFlayer

Dain walks into the governor's dining room and surveys the scene. He internally scoffs at the tabaxi wearing robes at the table. Some company you keep, Governor he thinks to himself. Dain approaches the table and introduces himself as he takes a seat. "Dain Darkbrew" he says with a nod and slight wave of his hand.

Upon hearing that the tabaxi's name is Dog, Dain cannot control himself. "BWAHAHAHA!! BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!" he bellows, the moving pieces of his armor clang along with his laughter to form a jubilant cacophony as he nearly falls out of his chair. After a few seconds he attempts to compose himself, and addresses Dog. "Hooboy, I suppose I should apologize, but I haven't laughed like that in years! Ye can understand, given the, uh, that dogs are, uh, not much like yerself..."

As Verd and Laughter introduce themselves, Dain nods in response. "Laughter! Bwaha!" he says, admittedly still recovering from the previous introduction. Dain straightens up in his chair and composes himself before saying "Pleasure to meet you all." He begins to dig into the food and wine at the table, listening intently to the others.

Dain has his concerns about Dog, and Verd chiming in that Dog knew why he wasn't trusted to speak for Fett did not help how he felt about the situation. Still, Fett trusted Dog to some degree; Dain resolved to give Dog a chance, as he saw little leverage in arguing to leave him behind. But he wanted to be prepared for the worst, and glances at the tabaxi to size him up.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Dain wants to size up the tabaxi, wondering if he could hold his own in a fight against him, if it should come to that.
    If insight is applicable: (1d20)[7]

7. - Top - End - #637

Spoiler: Insight DC 7
    Show
    Dog appears reasonably scrappy. In general, he comes off as a bit off-not bad, by any means, just different.

Dog rolls his eyes at Dain's laughter, commenting "I've heard it before."

Everyone shakes Aidan's hand as you settle in for a good meal.

As the meal goes on, you get to know the others a little better. Verd, it would seem, used to be an adventurer. And, while he might not look it, is actually approaching 200 years old-quite a feat for a human. But, of course, while the magic he learned through the years has kept him alive and active, he's nowhere near the fight he used to be. "The sword is, actually," he says at one point, "mostly for show. I can use the shield just fine, but the balance of any weapon throws off my wrist something fierce. If it comes to a fight, I'll do my best to heal and support you, and get in the way of the enemy, but I won't be doing much to hurt them myself."

Laughter, meanwhile, talks a lot about her family. It's a large one, with her as the youngest (only 80 years old), and parts of the Gembright family all over the continent.

Dog, as the least talkative, gives you the least info, but you're able to gather from a few of his words that he's no stranger to violence against those who need to be punched.

Show
    If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask of the others, do so now. If not, I'll skip to the next morning and set you off for meeting the hobboes.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #638

NinjaGuy

After the gem sale, Yuri mentions to Aidan that she needs to talk to him alone at some point, but that she should probably get some more formal clothing for the dinner tonight. She spends the rest of the afternoon acquiring a more formal outfit than the commoner's clothing she usually wears.

Yuri smiles at the introductions and nods at everyone in turn, before giving a bow and introducing herself.

"Yuri Mysolaes, a pleasure." She remains quiet for the most part, though lightning flashes through her irises every now and again. When Laughter mentions that she's only 80, she raises an eyebrow. In her village, and in her parents' upbringing, that's still a bit young.

"I take it your family is here, then, Laughter? Is there a large community of elves in Indos?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

9. - Top - End - #639

"No-it's a bit of a story, actually," she says. "About 15 years ago, I think it was, I started having visions. Something... Strange-I don't really know how else to put it. I saw an old man in my dreams, trying to escape from chains. I tried to decipher it, but no one in my home could make heads or tails of what it meant, so I went from city to city, trying to figure it out. I stopped having the visions after about four or five years, but at that point, I was already a traveler, so I just kinda stuck to it. It helped me get training from a lot of different academies, as a matter of fact, so when I got tired of traveling, it was pretty easy to find work here in Indos. That was, what was it?" she asks towards Fett.

He replies, saying "Six years, I think."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #640

NinjaGuy

Lightning flashes through Yuri's irises for a brief moment once more when Laughter mentions her visions. Her expression doesn't change, though.

"What made you decide to settle here?" Her curiosity has gotten the better of her now.

11. - Top - End - #641

MindFlayer

Dain enjoys the fine food, spirits, and company at the dinner. He didn’t know what the future held or when his next good meal would be and he wanted to make the most of the occasion.

He listens to Verd’s description of his abilities. Dain wished the man could hold a sword, but at least he had other capabilities.

As Laughter tells of seeing visions, Dain raises an eyebrow. Damn elves hearing voices. Bah! he thinks to himself.

Dain still couldn’t warm up to Dog much, not trusting the tabaxi.
    Show

Dain doesn’t have any questions. Ready to move on.

12. - Top - End - #642

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    Lightning flashes through Yuri's irises for a brief moment once more when Laughter mentions her visions. Her expression doesn't change, though.

"What made you decide to settle here?" Her curiosity has gotten the better of her now.
    "Convenience, honestly. There's good people here, good places to work, and it's not THAT far from home," she replies. "I know, nothing special, but that's what it is."

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #643

NinjaGuy

"Ah, I see," Yuri says with a nod. She seems to consider for a moment, but decides not to trouble the younger elf with her next question. Instead, she chooses a more incidental question.

"What sort of magic were you schooled in?"

14. - Top - End - #644

"Yes," Laughter replies. "I've received training from various different academies, and never really had time or the inclination to specialize."

Show
    Mechanically, she's a Wizard with no subclass.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #645

Macil responded to the introductions with a jaunty mid-air salute with one hand while the other grabbed the first available chair at the table.

"Macil Barabat, retired jewel salesman." He dug into the food as he considered the governor's confidantes. The tabaxi interested him; his comment about going places sounded like how he might describe himself. Certainly he'd been many places he couldn't have reached as easily carrying an extra quarter of his weight in metal.

His thoughts about illicit acrobatics evaporated as the wizard described her visions. It reminded him of the dream he'd had the night before. He'd intended to ask Aidan about it, but Dain and Yuri had joined them before he had a chance. Still, perhaps there was something here.

He gestured towards Laughter with a loaded fork.

"Did you learn anything at all about visions in that time? Or since, for that matter?"
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #646

"I'm afraid not. The only thing I can think of of note is that they were at their strongest the occasional time I slept in a temple," Laughter replies.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #647

NinjaGuy

"A temple? Was it an active one, or one that had been abandoned?" Yuri asks. Something the goblins they captured said has been bothering her since she spoke to Kelrug, and Laughter's visions seem to be striking awfully close to what happened to the elder gnome. A tinge of worry seeps into her expression.

18. - Top - End - #648

"I wasn't sleeping in an abandoned temple," she replies. "It was just your average temple-two or three priests, a handful of acolytes, the faithful coming every day or so..."

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #649

NinjaGuy

Yuri glances at Aidan and raises an eyebrow, the worry not leaving her expression, before she looks back to Laughter.

"Perhaps you were getting a message from the gods, then? Did you ever mention it to the priests?"

20. - Top - End - #650

Laughter nods. "Of course I did-that was one of my first thoughts, actually. But none of their prayers received any answer on my visions, and like I said, they stopped quite a while ago."

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #651

NinjaGuy

Laughter's answer does nothing to quell Yuri's worries. She glances at Aidan again.

"I see," she says, quietly, more on her mind now than when the meal began, but unsure of how to deal with all of it.

22. - Top - End - #652

The dinner proceeds, a few courses laid out by Fett's servants.

Before you realize it, it's time to turn in, and ready yourselves for tomorrow.

Show
    Feel free to narrate your own morning, getting ready to go and talking to anyone else you want to. I'll be moving on to the meeting itself soon.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #653

NinjaGuy

Yuri is up early, still troubled from the day before, and makes her preparations quickly, before makes her way to Aidan's room, knocking softly, hoping to catch him before they need to depart.

24. - Top - End - #654

MindFlayer

Dain greatly enjoys the dinner with Fett and friends. He eventually wanders back to his room, where it takes him a half hour to remove his armor due to being quite drunk. While unfastening his greaves he loses his balance and falls into the wall with a loud thud. As he falls to the floor his forehead catches the arm of a chair, leaving a large welt. He uses the chair to pull himself to his feet, hardly feeling the impact in his current state, and finishes removing his armor before falling into the bed where he quickly falls asleep.

Dain groggily rises in the early morning, a light pounding emanating from his forehead as he reaches up to feel the new bump. His new armor is haphazardly laying in the corner of the room; it takes him about a half hour to sort through everything and refasten the buckles to properly fit to himself. He washes his face and examines his beard, deciding that it was again time to trim. He carefully uses one of his handaxes to trim the excess parts of his beard, cutting away the more unyieldy portions to leave behind a somewhat manicured but thick and full black beard extending nearly to his belt. A haircut would have to wait until they were back in civilization, unless he could convince Macil to do it sometime while on the road.

Ready for the day, Dain heads down to the kitchen to find some breakfast and to meet up with the others.

25. - Top - End - #655

BardGuy

Aidan excuses himself from the dinner table much earlier then the others, barely finishing his meal. He notices Yuri's not so subtle hints, but he chooses not to pry any further until he knows more about his new companions. Before leaving he tells her that he has some business to attend to, and they will talk tomorrow morning, before they depart. He spends his evening looking for any information about Laughter, Verd and particularly Dog.
    Show
    I'm assuming there's not much information he can find, at least nothing particularly useful, but Aidan thinks it's worth a try. I'm assuming that's a straight Int check, which is +0 for him.
    (1d20)[7] with +2 if I get to add proficiency bonus.

As the morning comes Aidan barely manages to get up from his bed. Net because he is tired, he had a very nice rest, but there is an overwhelming feeling of dread in the air that Aidan would be happy to avoid. For a brief moment he considers oversleeping and letting the others leave without him. "That's not how this works." He whispers to himself.
    As Yuri knocks on the door he is caught somewhere between being asleep and awake, and he stumbles towards the door, still in his sleepwear. He opens the door, wipes the sleep from his eyes, and manages a barely audible "Good morning."

26. - Top - End - #656

Dain is the second to the kitchen, where the servants are currently getting food for Verd. The man appears to be a vegetarian, judging by his choice of food last night and what he's getting this morning. "Ah, good day, Dain," he says when the dwarf arrives.

Spoiler: Int Check
    Show
    Nothing new learned.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #657

MindFlayer

"Good day to you, Verd" Dain replies as he fixes his plate with some bacon and eggs. He took note of the mans plate, stuffed with fruits and greens but void of bacon and eggs. The man kept surprising Dain; he wears heavy armor but cant swing a sword, and now he appears to have the diet of a druid!

Pointing to the plate, Dain asks "dont like the taste of meat?" more to get a conversation going than actually being interested in the mans diet.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-02-26 at 01:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658

"Oh, I love meat. But," he says, "if I didn't hunt it myself, then I don't eat it. And, given my age, I rarely have the chance to take part in that anymore."

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #659

NinjaGuy

Yuri eyes Aidan for a moment, before responding with a cool, "Good morning."

It's hard to tell if she's amused or annoyed.
    "Did I wake you?"

30. - Top - End - #660

BardGuy

"Not really?" He answers in a questioning manner. As he steps aside to let you inside you notice something strange. Since this is your first time seeing Aidan sleeveless you can see something resembling a tattoo on his right shoulder. The shape is somewhat familiar, and if you inspect it further you realize it's quite similar to the symbol on his shield.
    "You wanted to talk about something?"