New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Beginner 5E Game [IC]

Seeing the cave, Macil slipped up to the front of the group and scanned the entrance.

"All right then, the rest of you wait here; I'll go ahead and scout. Aidan, can you use that muffling power on me? And Yuri, if you have anything similar for me, I'd appreciate it."
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yuri frowns slightly and shakes her head sadly. It's such an odd expression for her, that Macil can practically feel how sorry she is.

"Sorry, I can't really make you quieter. I could give you a light, or give you some more protection in case they do see you, but that's about all."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #93

BardGuy

"That might be a better idea." Aidan says while looking at Dain's clanging armor. They weren't really stealthy getting here. "Don't get yourself killed. We don't have a spare scout." He whispers as he puts his hand on Macil's shoulder. "If anything goes wrong, don't think, just run. As long as you get back in one piece I can patch you up." He says loud enough for everyone to hear.

4. - Top - End - #94

NinjaGuy

Yuri nods and gives Macil a fierce grin.

"And don't worry about them following you, either. We'll be here, ready to hit them hard if they do."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #95

MindFlayer

Dain looks to Macil and says ”If anything goes wrong, yell for us and we’ll come running.” It was an odd feeling for Dain to try and stand so still for a prolonged period of time, but he had a feeling he would soon be able to let out his pent up energy.

6. - Top - End - #96

Macil nodded.

"Save the rest of your spells for now, I'll be fine. Give me half an hour. If I'm not back then, start planning my wake. I expect no fewer than three days of revelry. Four from Dain."

He dropped to a crouch and walked slowly towards the cave entrance, minding the ground, watching for leaves and sticks. Back straight, weight controlled, like he'd been trained. He slowed his breathing as he came closer.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The plan here is to get as far into the cave, within about twenty minutes, as he can without coming into sight of anyone.

Advantageous stealth check:
    (1d20+7)[18]
    (1d20+7)[22]

Not certain this is applicable, so if it isn't, just ignore it:
    Perception: (1d20+3)[4]
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

Macil sneaks into the cavern, the light from the outside quickly growing faint, and then vanishing altogether. Seeing now in black and white, he creeps his way in deeper and deeper. Just as he's about to turn back, some twenty minutes in, he spots a light. Going forward just a little more, he can see what appears to be a small-scale alchemical workshop. Goblins bustle to and fro, carrying beakers and vials of strange substances, all at the behest of one person barking orders from the back in a language that he can't understand.

Going as far forward as he dares, Macil is able to get a faint glimpse of the boss-an orc! Dressed in solid black robes and carrying a skull-tipped staff, the orc is clearly in command of the lesser goblins.

Armed with knowledge, Macil heads back out, faster than he went in due to familiarity with the terrain.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

"So I'm not sure what we're looking at here. Possibly they're going into the alchemy business themselves and have very goblinoid ideas about how competition works. In any case." Macil described to the best of his ability what he saw and traced a rough map on the ground with an arrow.

"So, we need a plan. Before we get started, we need to share, precisely, what it is we all can do. Then we'll form a plan. Myself, I have no surprises, merely arrows and other sharp objects." He gave an expectant look towards the spellcasters.

Show
    About how large was the workshop, and what would Macil have estimated the goblin population to be? (He shared both these with the party.)
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #99

BardGuy

"My magic is mostly supportive, and not too flashy." Aidan answers. "I can provide a small blessing that will help you fight better, but I would prefer to save my magical reserves for healing." He pauses, thinking about anything he might have missed. "I do have one trick I can use for misdirection. Not sure if we can use it, but I can create a sound that about 30 feet from me."

10. - Top - End - #100

Spoiler: Goblin Population And Room Size
    Show
    There were maybe six visible goblins. More might be in there, but six is what you saw.

The room was pretty decent-sized, about 60' long and 40' wide, though crammed with equipment.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #101

NinjaGuy

"Mine is mostly destructive," Yuri says, her expression almost unreadable. Something of a mix of caution and embarrassment, but sharing with the others is necessary, and besides, weren't they marveling at her basic little trick in the tavern yesterday? They won't cast her out just because her magic is mostly good at killing and destroying things, right?

"I can make beams of cold that will slow the enemy down in addition to hurting them. If they get close to me, I can shock them with lightning by touching them, and stun them for a short period. If they're within 15 feet of me, I can create a wave of thunder, that will hurt them and can knock them back if they're not ready for it. Of the other three things I can do, you've all seen two already. One is a protective field that can help one person avoid their blows, the second is more or less a bunch of mundane little tricks, like I showed you in the tavern yesterday, and the last allows me to touch an object and make it give light, sort of like a torch."

She pauses and takes a breath.

"The protective field and the thunder wave take more of my power to use. I've already use the field once today, and I can only use it or the thunder wave once more before I need to rest and trance to regain enough power to use it. The others, I can use as much as I want."

12. - Top - End - #102

MindFlayer

”I’m tough and loud, that’s me specialty. I can hope to draw their attention, if ye can keep me standin, Aiden, we should be alright.” Dain said to the others.

13. - Top - End - #103

NinjaGuy

"We might be able to distract them with your sound trick, Aiden. If we can get them facing away from us, we can try to take them by surprise. Dain and I could move in, then, and I could use my thunder wave to knock some of them around and try to keep them dazed while Dain moves in for the kill. Macil could provide us cover with his bow, to help us get up to them. The only thing that worries me is that orc," Yuri says, pointing at its position on Macil's map with her stick. "We might need your blessing to deal with him, Aidan. Can that be done during battle?"
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-12-08 at 04:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Spoiler: OOC Note
    Show
    Thunderwave WILL knock alchemical supplies everywhere. That may or not be to your benefit.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMist View Post
    "I do have one trick I can use for misdirection. Not sure if we can use it, but I can create a sound that about 30 feet from me."
    Macil mentally shelved his idea to mix one of his candles with an oil flask to achieve that effect. Another time, perhaps.

"For the most part I agree with Yuri. Although I would say that I'm more comfortable with my shortsword than my bow. I'll probably take a shot or two and then run in with you.

"Also, if you only have one of those thunder waves, it might be better to save it for an emergency. Especially because I recall some of their chemicals looked precariously arranged. But also because that sounds like something to keep ready in case they manage to swarm around one of us. It might be better to start by slowing down the ones that are further away so they can't reach us while we're dealing with the ones by the entrance.

"Aidan, how many of us can you muffle on the way in?"
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #106

BardGuy

"It is a standard spell, it takes as much effort as your Thunderwave, I presume. I do have pretty powerful spell prepared, if we combine that with your magic and Macil bow, we might be able to take him down quickly. It is a gamble, though." Aidan is no stranger to taking risks, but that was when his life was the only one on the line. "Unfortunately, I can only focus one person at a time, and I believe Dain is the best choice for that."

17. - Top - End - #107

NinjaGuy

"Hmm, it does tend to throw things around," Yuri agrees with a nod. A bit of relief shows on her face, but it's quickly replaced by determination. "I agree, Dain is the best choice for the muffle effect, then. How about we swap places, and you move in with Dain, Macil? I'll hit the ones in the back, like you said, and we can hang onto our more powerful magic for the orc, then, Aidan."

18. - Top - End - #108

Macil clapped his hands together and rubbed them.

"Sounds like a plan. Anyone have anything to add? If not, I'll lead the way."
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #109

BardGuy

"There is one other thing to consider. Judging by Macil's description, there is a strong possibility that the orc is a magic user of some sort." Aidan pauses to give everyone a moment to process the importance of that information. "If he happens to debilitate one of us I suggest we pile everything we have on him, hoping to break his focus."

20. - Top - End - #110

NinjaGuy

Yuri nods, pulling her arcane focus from her belt pouch.

"I think we're ready then, yes?"

21. - Top - End - #111

BardGuy

"I'm ready. Just make sure to leave at least one of them alive, preferably the orc. I have a feeling this goes deeper, and I want to know what's going on."

22. - Top - End - #112

"Sounds like a plan. All right, everyone. Follow my lead. Slow and quiet."

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (1d20+7)[27]
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #113

MindFlayer

Dain listened intently to the others and the plan. This would certainly be different from fighting in tight formations with other dwarven weapons experts, moreso with magic on their side.

”Sneak in. Focus on the orc. Keep on alive. Got it. I think I’m ready then.”

24. - Top - End - #114

MindFlayer

Show

Stealth roll

[roll]1d20+0[/roll]

Last edited by The Big Bear; 2018-12-08 at 07:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

You creep your way in, being lead by your stealthiest companion.

He warns you, quietly, as you near the alchemical lab.

Inside, you see dim lights, with smoke curling out and the occasional bright flash. You can see from the darkness six goblins, all bustling about, three in the center, one to each side, and one near the entrance, but with their back turned.

The orc you see in the back, sitting. Surprisingly, something Macil failed to notice (Perception check of 4) the Orc is missing an arm, and his opposite leg ends in a metallic peg.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #116

NinjaGuy

Yuri nods, falling in behind Macil and Dain, and doing her best to move as quickly and quietly as she can. She'll keep her eyes open for anything trying to move up on them as they move into the cave.

Spoiler: Stealth and Initiative
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+2)[22]
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[17]

27. - Top - End - #117

BardGuy

After making his way through the cave Aidan carefully aims his Thaumaturgy, creating a rumbling sound next to one of cave walls. With the distraction finished, he aims his crossbow at the nearest goblin and pulls the trigger.
    After finishing his attack he throws the crossbow on the ground and gets ready to focus on his magic.
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[7]

28. - Top - End - #118

The goblins look over, and as the orc is shouting at them, Aidan's bolt punches clean through the goblin's side.

They drop to the ground, heavily injured.

Show
    One goblin down.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #119

MindFlayer

Dain readies himself, pulling His warhammer from his belt and affirming his grip on his shield on the opposite hand. He nods to the others and receives their nods back; Dain was ready.

Dain charges into the room, armor clanging loudly with each step. The goblin near the entrance with his back turned was the prime target for Dain’s charge. He yelled with a smile on his face ”SURPRISE!!! BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Show

Attack Roll:
    (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+5)[24]

Damage roll:
    (1d8+3)[10]

30. - Top - End - #120

Dain smashes the goblin with his warhammer, sending the goblin to the ground, skull caved in.

Show
    Second goblin down. First goblin dead.

Show
    Show

Show