New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

I think there's quite a gap between the classical stories of cannibalism among the great, and the inadvertent, unknowing mass-cannibalism of Sweeney Todd.

It's the difference between a personal act of revenge against an enemy, and a general act of callousness that would catch potentially thousands of quite innocent people for no particular reason at all.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

2. - Top - End - #752
    Firbolg in the Playground

About temporal placements: the Boomers. Given that they also are a parody (although nowhere near as shameless as the FO2 Hubologists), it's weird to encounter them now and know that they aren't a derivative of the "OK Boomer" meme.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #753

Sixty plugins through my rebuild of the mod folder for the Gabriel playthrough. Currently sitting at 60 plugins out of 120, but we're not quite halfway, as more than a few of those plugins in the latter half consist of merged plugins.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #754
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I have started Fallout 4. For reasons that are obscure, even to me, I am avoiding looking things up, for now.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I have started Fallout 4. For reasons that are obscure, even to me, I am avoiding looking things up, for now.
    I heartily recommend that approach. Are you playing in Survival Mode? It comes with some tedium, but on balance I feel that the added constraints do improve the sense of threat in the game.

6. - Top - End - #756

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    I heartily recommend that approach. Are you playing in Survival Mode? It comes with some tedium, but on balance I feel that the added constraints do improve the sense of threat in the game.
    I am not. I'm already struggling with the controls, partially because I just came out of Mass Effect: Andromeda and have to unlearn their scheme, but also because someone thought "Yeah, it's convenient to reach across a keyboard and press enter all the time."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't remember having to reach across for the Enter key all the time when playing Fallout 4? IIRC, E does the same job even if it doesn't explicitly say so.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

For the best, really. Fallout 4 is actually pretty good...on a first playthrough.

All of my problems with it come when trying to replay it.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am not. I'm already struggling with the controls, partially because I just came out of Mass Effect: Andromeda and have to unlearn their scheme, but also because someone thought "Yeah, it's convenient to reach across a keyboard and press enter all the time."
    If I recall correctly, you can use 'e' for anything you'd use enter for. It will definitely save you some arm-fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't remember having to reach across for the Enter key all the time when playing Fallout 4? IIRC, E does the same job even if it doesn't explicitly say so.
    Yes, see, I'm not just some crazy person, I'm the Jackal.

You can always shift gears to survival once you get more comfortable and are looking for a greater challenge/immersion, which, again, I think makes the game pop a lot more than it otherwise might. YMMV.

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    If I recall correctly, you can use 'e' for anything you'd use enter for. It will definitely save you some arm-fatigue.
    You can and it did, thanks. Now, while I've got some other things to unlearn, my problem is long load screens.
    The Cranky Gamer

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You can and it did, thanks. Now, while I've got some other things to unlearn, my problem is long load screens.
    Yeah, sadly I can't help you with that one. That would require Bethsoft to drop Gamebryo for IdTech 6 or some other modern engine with supports object and texture streaming.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

You think that's bad? When I first got the game I was on a 4:3 aspect screen, and so I had to mod the game to be able to see the Power Armor UI, or the lockpicking UI.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

13. - Top - End - #763

Man, I just am having trouble getting into this game. I don't hate it, and it's not like DAO where I was hating the mechanics, but I am just not devoted to any part of the game.
    The Cranky Gamer

14. - Top - End - #764

BlackDragon

Man, I just am having trouble getting into this game. I don't hate it, and it's not like DAO where I was hating the mechanics, but I am just not devoted to any part of the game.
    Welcome to the Fallout 4 experience. The game is mechanically fun enough, it just doesn't have much in the way of soul. What you might want to do (assuming you have the DLC) is head off to do Far Harbor and Nuka-World as early as you can, because those offer some much needed variety--and Far Harbor even has some decisions that actually have consequences. Imagine that!

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Fah Habah is amazing. Writing on par with New Vegas. It shows what you can do when you're not busy screwing around with the engine.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Given the server issues I think the usual rules for necromancy will be waived? Or maybe my math is off.

Anyway, the game that I cannot stop playing, Fallout New Vegas. I may take breaks here and there, but I always come back.

Currently running an explosives user ("Megumin", heh). Pure explosives seems infeasible to me; any time the enemies get too close you just lose. But I wanted primary ranged attacks to be explosives, so I run unarmed as backup and things seem to be going fine. Explosive weapon ammo is hella expensive, so I'm not going to waste them on rats, and definitely not going to lob grenades in Freeside. About Level 15 right now, and I just about have critical mass for ammo, meaning I no longer need to be stingy. Early levels you're just happy to find one missile in a random box.

The other problem with explosives is the tendency to throw loose items and bodies all over the place. I legit lost the Star Caps from Bonnie Springs because I shelled the enemies from behind the houses.

Pretty excited to pick up the Fat Man this time. In all my previous playthroughs it was more like a cool thing that I kept in my weapons locker, or even didn't bother to pick up.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

I know others have had issues, but it's one of the reasons I like the Craft Master mod (with it's super weird install mechanism), and the fact that it gives every weapon explosive, and also high explosive ammo. Explosive tends to be quite small, but still visibly explosive, HE is a bit bigger, but also armor piercing.

And for the regular booms, like 40mm Grenades, Plasma, Nuclear, and most entertainingly, Cluster grenades. Also the hilariously overpowered Flechette rounds. One shotting the legendary Deathclaw? Don't mind if I do.

But yeah, explosives are, pardon the pun, a blast. I got quite good at timing dynamite.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After giving Annabelle a try, I wonder if using VATS affects the flight path of the missile. Logically aiming for the legs will send the missile low (possibly allowing a floor impact if I miss) while aiming for the head sends it high. But there are a lot of other variables so it’s hard to tell by eyeballing it.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

19. - Top - End - #769

In other news, the New Vegas let's play is still going strong.
    Spoiler: Episode 28
    Show
    Really, who could have foreseen that giving a companion everything they want would end poorly?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So...Red Glare. It's not a weapon I usually use. In most playthroughs I just use weapon repair kits to bring it up to full condition and sell it for mega profits.

But when playing with arbitrary restrictions, it's actually kind of useful. The grenade-based weapons all have ballistic trajectories, and the bigger missiles are a bit too valuable to use on single weak targets. But if you want a long range (as long as the draw distance permits), AOE, rapid-firing attack for clearing out rats and powder gangers the Red Glare has it covered.

The grenade lobbers are better suited for medium-range fights. With lobbers you're always aiming for the floor, so you don't have to worry about the projectile flying past. If you and the target are on the exact same level with no inclination and no terrain features, direct-fire missiles are a lot harder to use.

Also, the MATN trick of remembering where enemies spawn and planting mines there is super fun when it works.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    So...Red Glare. It's not a weapon I usually use. In most playthroughs I just use weapon repair kits to bring it up to full condition and sell it for mega profits.

But when playing with arbitrary restrictions, it's actually kind of useful. The grenade-based weapons all have ballistic trajectories, and the bigger missiles are a bit too valuable to use on single weak targets. But if you want a long range (as long as the draw distance permits), AOE, rapid-firing attack for clearing out rats and powder gangers the Red Glare has it covered.

The grenade lobbers are better suited for medium-range fights. With lobbers you're always aiming for the floor, so you don't have to worry about the projectile flying past. If you and the target are on the exact same level with no inclination and no terrain features, direct-fire missiles are a lot harder to use.

Also, the MATN trick of remembering where enemies spawn and planting mines there is super fun when it works.
    Walking down the road from Goodsprings, prior to the Powder Gangers invading...

"Whoops, clumsy me. I seem to have dropped a mine. Gee, I sure hope no random invader will step on it. Whoops, dropped another one, clumsy me..."

Later...

"Okay, the Powder Gangers are on their..." BOOM, BOOM, BOOM "Uhh... nevermind, I think the problem has just solved itself."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

And those are just vanilla shenanigans.

One of my mods has a mine deploying option for grenade launchers, and also remote detonatable rounds.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

I hadn't been paying any attention to F76 updates, and, frankly, has lost interest in the game around level 30. Then, today, I noticed that the next expansion is supposed to bring in NPC, quests, and all the stuff that we normally would have expected from any RPG Fallout. Okay, my interest is peaked. Anyone have any thoughts/info about this forthcoming Wastelanders update?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

24. - Top - End - #774

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Okay, my interest is peaked. Anyone have any thoughts/info about this forthcoming Wastelanders update?
    Too little, too late--I lost interest in Fallout 76 on seeing the reviews when it came out, and I think upgrading it to the bare minimum you'd expect from an RPG isn't enough; they need to make it something special to draw people back in.

25. - Top - End - #775

Who uses a FatMan in close combat? Like, I am stabbing you with a knife and you are shooting a Fat Man at me?
    The Cranky Gamer

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Who uses a FatMan in close combat? Like, I am stabbing you with a knife and you are shooting a Fat Man at me?
    Seemed like a good idea at the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If you don't know the answer to that you are clearly neither shiny nor chrome.

28. - Top - End - #778

Also, last night, I was slowly trudging up from Walden towards the Sunshine Tidings Co-op (which tends to be my base of operations). As I slowly work my way up the hill, I see a deathclaw running south. It just keeps running, paying no attention to me (I was not sneaking in the least... I'm already going too slow being encumbered). It was the oddest thing... When I got a little higher and looked after it with my scoped weapon, it was gone.
    The Cranky Gamer

29. - Top - End - #779
    Spamalot in the Playground

Also, last night, I was slowly trudging up from Walden towards the Sunshine Tidings Co-op (which tends to be my base of operations). As I slowly work my way up the hill, I see a deathclaw running south. It just keeps running, paying no attention to me (I was not sneaking in the least... I'm already going too slow being encumbered). It was the oddest thing... When I got a little higher and looked after it with my scoped weapon, it was gone.
    I'm picturing a deathclaw with a can opener running down someone in power armor.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Even after all these years, the Fallout games can still surprise.

I returned to Neil's Shack to take the shortcut to the NCR safehouse, and when I reached the boulder/bear trap path I saw Tabitha and Rhonda coming down. Just for fun I ran up to meet them, then quickly ran back down. Sure enough the massive boulder started rolling down and actually hit them (I could see Tabitha's health bar). Thankfully they had enough hit points to tank the damage, but I thought it was pretty funny.

For some reason after you finish Crazy, Crazy, Crazy the peaceful way, Tabitha and Rhonda take their sweet time coming down the mountain. This isn't the first time I've returned to Black Mountain after a long absence to see them still there.