Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 372
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Isn't the whole point that the various "tribes" in Honest Hearts are essentially the native Indian equivalent of the Elvis Presley guys on the strip? They're cosplaying as Indians and not doing a perfect job of it.
    Not... really.

    The Sorrows came from some kids who were basically slaves, think Fallout 3 Paradise Falls level rounding up kids as slaves. The Survivalist... did not approve of this. And killed the slavers. With extreme prejudice. Using guerilla tactics. The kids then were pretty much left to themselves, but they didn't have the survival skills necessary to survive. So the Survivalist left them 'gifts' with notes on how to do it themselves. Teaching them by remote through letters and notes, signed 'Father'. Which is where their religion about the 'father of the caves' comes in.

    Then some folks from Vault 22 showed up and started being big stinky jerks, and the Survivalist did something about that, too. Boobytrapped all his caves so that when they tried to go after him, they ended up losing more of their people. Unfortunately, he forgot to un-boobytrap them for the kids. He'd always expected the kids would one day explore the caves, and everything you find in there was intended for them. However, because the boobytraps were in place, the kids quickly established that they were taboo areas because you died if you went in them, and thus 'the father of the caves holds them to be sacred, and we are not to intrude upon them'.

    So they never understood any pre-war culture because they grew up in Zion Valley from children who were freed from slavers. They never had any contact or information from the Old World. So no, it's not like the Kings being Elvis impersonators.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Not... really.

    The Sorrows came from some kids who were basically slaves, think Fallout 3 Paradise Falls level rounding up kids as slaves. The Survivalist... did not approve of this. And killed the slavers. With extreme prejudice. Using guerilla tactics. The kids then were pretty much left to themselves, but they didn't have the survival skills necessary to survive. So the Survivalist left them 'gifts' with notes on how to do it themselves. Teaching them by remote through letters and notes, signed 'Father'. Which is where their religion about the 'father of the caves' comes in.

    Then some folks from Vault 22 showed up and started being big stinky jerks, and the Survivalist did something about that, too. Boobytrapped all his caves so that when they tried to go after him, they ended up losing more of their people. Unfortunately, he forgot to un-boobytrap them for the kids. He'd always expected the kids would one day explore the caves, and everything you find in there was intended for them. However, because the boobytraps were in place, the kids quickly established that they were taboo areas because you died if you went in them, and thus 'the father of the caves holds them to be sacred, and we are not to intrude upon them'.

    So they never understood any pre-war culture because they grew up in Zion Valley from children who were freed from slavers. They never had any contact or information from the Old World. So no, it's not like the Kings being Elvis impersonators.
    I think you're misremembering. A group of Mexican refugees turned up, no mention of slavers. Then the Vault 22 guys showed up and ate some of the Mexicans, so the Survivalist killed them off wth guerilla tactics. A while after the Vault 22 guys and Mexicans were all gone, some children showed up having fled from "The Headmaster". Nobody ever pursued them (at least not that the Survivalist encountered, although he did mention that he'd kill The Headmaster if he ever reared his masterful head) and they eventually became the Sorrows, largely influenced by notes left for them by the Survivalist, who they came to know as the Father in the Cave. It hink his real name was Randall Clarke, but I might be confusing him with someone else.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I think you're misremembering. A group of Mexican refugees turned up, no mention of slavers. Then the Vault 22 guys showed up and ate some of the Mexicans, so the Survivalist killed them off wth guerilla tactics. A while after the Vault 22 guys and Mexicans were all gone, some children showed up having fled from "The Headmaster". Nobody ever pursued them (at least not that the Survivalist encountered, although he did mention that he'd kill The Headmaster if he ever reared his masterful head) and they eventually became the Sorrows, largely influenced by notes left for them by the Survivalist, who they came to know as the Father in the Cave. It hink his real name was Randall Clarke, but I might be confusing him with someone else.
    Oxhorn did a good video on it.

    Point is, the kids never were exposed to the Old World to be able to parody it
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2019-01-24 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Beleriphon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Oxhorn did a good video on it.

    Point is, the kids never were exposed to the Old World to be able to parody it
    Or rather they weren't to such a degree that they basically don't remember the Old World. They're kind of like the kinds Max finds in Beyond Thunderdome.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ogremindes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lawson, Sydney

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Speaking of Oxhorn, I've decided to dip back into Fallout 4, and I've been looking for mods. Anyone have any recommendations? Beyond the near-obligatory basics and SIM Settlements that is.

    One trouble I'm having is telling the difference between a mod that still worth using that hasn't been updated in years and an old standby that should be considered depricated.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Oxhorn did a good video on it.

    Point is, the kids never were exposed to the Old World to be able to parody it
    I think I explained my point badly. My point was that the Sorrows and the White Legs are not actually native American Indians, so them not acting or sounding exactly like them is only to be expected.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ogremindes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lawson, Sydney

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Speaking of Oxhorn, I've decided to dip back into Fallout 4, and I've been looking for mods. Anyone have any recommendations? Beyond the near-obligatory basics and SIM Settlements that is.

    One trouble I'm having is telling the difference between a mod that still worth using that hasn't been updated in years and an old standby that should be considered depricated.
    Just in case anyone's interested, this is what my installed mods folder looks like ATM:
    Spoiler: Big List o' Mods
    Show
    • 12.7mm-23434-1-0-1
    • 50 Ways to Die at Dr. Nick's - v.0.99c-25564-0-99c
    • A Cannibal In Concord-14320-2-1
    • Ad Victoriam Apocalypse Edition-22168-V1-3
    • Ad Victoriam ESP Update. Normal Edition-22168-V1-5
    • AE and VIS patch-22431-1-5
    • Armor and Weapon Crafting Keywords (AWKCR) Patch-11734-1-0
    • Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource v8.4-6091-8-4-1541780777
    • Armorsmith Extended v4.5-2228-v4-5-1539541546
    • Assorted VIS Patches-19686-2-5c
    • Attackers - Get Off My Buildzone-25762-1-1-7
    • Automatron Robot Faction Paint Jobs-15973-1-1
    • AWKCR addon for GRS v1.9 and up-24323-1-4
    • Backpacks of the Commonwealth-29447-1-4
    • Binary Speech Checks V.4 (Hard Edition)-2100-V-4
    • Boston FPS Fix - AIO-26286--32
    • Bozar-28478-1-2
    • BP VIS AE patch-CROSS_IES X6-88-30984-1-1
    • BP VIS AE patch-CROSS_IES-30984-1-1
    • BP VIS Patch - Backpack Of The Commonwealth-31002-1
    • Campsite v1.0.1 (missing files and Workshop stuff)-11734-1-0-1
    • Caravan Trading Post - Enhanced-23602-1-0a
    • CoA Overhaul AWKCR and AE Patch-26173-1-04a
    • CoA Overhaul-26173-1-04
    • Concussion-22311-1c
    • Craft Crossbow-29414-v1-00
    • Crafting Highlight Fix 1.8.4-27479-1-8-4-1547418392
    • CROSS_Blades_v091a-34501-091a-1539380486
    • CROSS_BrotherhoodRecon_091b2-27418-091b2
    • CROSS_BrotherhoodRecon_VanillaFemaleMeshes-27418-000
    • CROSS_CourserStrigidae_090c.zip-28009-090c
    • CROSS_CourserStrigidae_VanillaFemaleMeshes.zip-28009-000
    • CROSS_Cybernetics106c01-8609-106c
    • CROSS_GoreCrits_91g-23780--91g
    • CROSS_GoreCrits_092beta-23780-092beta
    • CROSS_InstituteExpeditionarySuit_090b-30857-090b
    • Crossbows of the Commonwealth 1.4-10484-1-4
    • Def_ui 1.5.1-10654-1-5-1
    • DEF_UI Iconlibs Rescaled and Fixed - Subtle Color-31088-1-5-1546046430
    • Diamond City Expansion 1.4.2-21853-1-4-2-1545079878
    • Director's Quarters-15767-1-1
    • Do It Yourshelf v1.6a (NMM version name fix)-14532-v1-6a
    • Dr. Phibbs' Awesome Neuro-Atomic Limbs - TheKite's Handmaiden-34455-1-0
    • Dr. Phibbs' Neuro-Atomic Limbs - Courser Strigidae-34582-1-0
    • Dr. Phibbs' Neuro-Atomic Limbs - CROSS BoS Recon-34022-2-0
    • Egret's Secret-22031-1
    • Eli Display Shelves-23600-1-1
    • Eli's Armour Compendium Vanilla Body - 1.5-22431-1-5
    • Everyone's Best Friend v3.0.0-13459-3-0-0
    • Extended Dialogue Interface 1.3.2-27216-1-3-2-1544134879
    • F4NVServiceRifleRedux_AWKCR-33218-0-96
    • Fallout 4 Configuration Tool-102-1-3-5-2024
    • Faster Workshop 1.1-35382-1-1-1539871573
    • Follower Stealth Distance Fixes - Now with Dog Leash-15823-4-1
    • Fusion City Rising v.1.0-16423-1-0
    • Glock 86 - Plasma Pistol-36358-1-5-1544600897
    • Grease Gun SMG-21921-1-0-4-1
    • Guerlot's Radioactive Stories - v1.9b-24323-1-9b
    • Hangman's Home 1.1.7z-27868-1-1
    • Invisible Furniture-13343-4-21
    • Journey - 1.6.1-12685-1-6-1
    • K-9 Harness - Armorsmith Extended plus DEF UI-17686-1-0
    • K-9 Harness - Tactical Body Armor and Backpack for Dogmeat-17686-1-0
    • Loot Detector (ESL)-4380-3800
    • MadMax713's Original Raider Armor Texture-17895-1-3
    • Main file-27250-0-9
    • Mauser-14141-1-1
    • Maxwell's World Version 1.10-18949-1-10
    • Mercenary Outfit Mash-ups Fixed Archive-28979-1-1
    • Mod Configuration Menu 1.34-21497-1-34-1544589127
    • Move Ammo Recipes-29414-v1-01
    • Nuka World Add-On (with TS Far Harbor Compatibility)-4472-1-4-1NWBet
    • Nuka-World Reborn PV patch-32857-1-05-1545672839
    • Nuka-World Reborn-32857-1-25-1546175368
    • NWR-Patches-34260-1-2
    • OAR_VIS_Patch-32189-2-1547519222
    • OCDecorator - Ver1.1.3-4270-1-1-3
    • Orphans of the Commonwealth-16000-7-1543036395
    • Outcasts and Remnants-21469-1-31-1546549676
    • PaladinBaileyRedRocket-26286--1
    • Patch 1.1-12101-1-1
    • PC Quite Elite Edition (Vanilla body) 1.01-28491-1-01
    • Pip-Boy Flashlight v6 BETA 3.02-10840-v6b3-02
    • Place (Fallout4 1.10.120 - latest release)-9424-1-18-0-1120-1544172805
    • PrivateProfileRedirector F4 0.3.3-33947-0-3-3-1547279545
    • Project Valkyrie-28085-1-10-1545497143
    • ProjectValkyrie_SortingTags-34745-1-01
    • Prydwen Quarters 1.2-13218-1-2
    • Radium-Inc Main File-32175-1-3
    • Radrose Usability Enhancements - 2.7.5-18098-2-7-5
    • Raider Overhaul WIP 12.4 I Please read changelog-9103-12-4
    • Raider Overhaul-AE Patch-Restored Content I Full File-17895-2-1
    • Railroad HQ 1.2-13490-1-2
    • SalvageBeacons_v1_0_3.7z-18757-1-0-3
    • Service Rifle 12.7mm Pistol patch
    • Service Rifle-32361-0-96
    • Settlement Menu Manager - 0.1.4-24204-0-1-4
    • Settlers of the Commonwealth-8704-3-11
    • Sim Settlements Three-in-One v 4.0.0-21872-4-0-0-1547845595
    • Simple Settlers 3-36074-3-1543723974
    • Slower Leveling - Half Speed-36286-1-3-1544172261
    • SnapBeds-20697-1-0-1
    • Start Me Up - Normal Dialogue Prompts - version 6.1-18946-6-1
    • SuperMutantRedux 2.5-SD-DLC-11853-2-5-1540490103
    • Synth Overhaul - 2K (V3.0.2) BA2-9525-3-0-2
    • Synth Overhaul - VIS Patch 3.0.4-9525-3-0-4
    • Synth Overhaul (V3.0.4) Update-9525-3-0-4
    • Tales from the Commonwealth AE VIS-23654-2-6
    • Tales from the Commonwealth-8704-v3-01
    • Thaylar's Light Fixes Big Edition-20003-3-2
    • The Mercenary - Pack v0.9a - Loose Files - Uploading this and a Repack of the BA2's for reports of Issues-20088-0-9a
    • TheKite_Railroad_Handmaiden_091a-29348-091a2
    • Thematic and Practical - DLC-16207-Alpha1-0b
    • Thematic and Practical-16207-Alpha1-3
    • True Storms - Wasteland Edition v1.4.1-4472-1-4
    • Unlimited Survival Mode - F4SE-26163-v1-4-0
    • Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch-4598-2-0-6b-1546725686
    • Valdacils Item Sorting v9.0.3-3877-9-0-3
    • Various Material Fixes - FOMOD-22954-1-4
    • Vault 81 1.2-13035-1-2
    • Vault 88 Security armor and Lab coats-16862-V2-0
    • Vault 1080-18172-15
    • Vault28-34311-2
    • Vault88ChildJumpsuit.7zip-23406-1-0
    • Version 4.0-16715-4-0
    • VIS - Armor by Class v9.1-3877-9-1
    • VIS - Cosmetics by Class v9.1-3877-9-1
    • VIS - Raider Overhaul 12.x - FOMOD-14182-1-8-1
    • VIS - Weapons v9.1-3877-9-1
    • Vivid Fallout - All in One - Best Choice-25714-1-3
    • W.A.T.M - Enhanced V5.2.1-6443-5-2-1
    • Wattz Laser Gun-26386-1-3-1
    • Welcome to Goodneighbor-15702-1-7
    • West Tek Tactical Optics v2.0 - AWKCR-12220-2-0
    • West Tek Tactical Optics v2.0 - Standard Leveled Lists-12220-2-0
    • West Tek Tactical Optics v2.0.1 (minor update)-12220-2-0-1
    • Workshop Framwork 1.1.0-35004-1-1-0-1547852280
    • Workshop Plus 1.0.4-35005-1-0-4-1544737097
    • Workshop Rearranged Patch Pack-16181-0-6-13
    • Workshop Rearranged-16181-0-6-13
    • xSE PluginPreloader F4 0.1.2-33946-0-1-2


  8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Vertibird Jump is essential. Forget landing. Nobody has time for that.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2019-01-25 at 05:57 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Speaking of mods, there's a kind of mod I've been looking for for ages (both in FO4 and Skyrim) but I've never found a good one. Basically, a child follower that isn't bare bones.

    I don't know, I just have always wanted to do a run of one of the games as kind of a "action family". Sort of a "the family that slays together stays together" style of thing, if you follow. The Sole Survivor, Piper, and Nat fighting synths and super mutants in the heart of Boston. The Dragonborn, Serana, and a war orphan facing down a dragon outside of Whiterun. I've always thought that would be a cool story to play, but the mods I've found to support it have always been generic, incomplete, and/or bugged to high Heaven.

    Has anyone found a good mod like that?

    Actually, I'd extend the request to good follower mods of any kind that you'd like to suggest. I've played Skyrim and FO4 to Hell and back a few times by now, and really the games only keep me coming back as a canvas to paint more story on - usually through follower mods. I'd be quite interested in hearing about any I've missed or underestimated.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Speaking of mods, there's a kind of mod I've been looking for for ages (both in FO4 and Skyrim) but I've never found a good one. Basically, a child follower that isn't bare bones.

    I don't know, I just have always wanted to do a run of one of the games as kind of a "action family". Sort of a "the family that slays together stays together" style of thing, if you follow. The Sole Survivor, Piper, and Nat fighting synths and super mutants in the heart of Boston. The Dragonborn, Serana, and a war orphan facing down a dragon outside of Whiterun. I've always thought that would be a cool story to play, but the mods I've found to support it have always been generic, incomplete, and/or bugged to high Heaven.

    Has anyone found a good mod like that?

    Actually, I'd extend the request to good follower mods of any kind that you'd like to suggest. I've played Skyrim and FO4 to Hell and back a few times by now, and really the games only keep me coming back as a canvas to paint more story on - usually through follower mods. I'd be quite interested in hearing about any I've missed or underestimated.
    ...the party groups you lay out have your child follower filling the "pet" slot.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    ...the party groups you lay out have your child follower filling the "pet" slot.
    I always mod for the ability to have parties of around 4, as the party is the main draw for me these days... but you actually got me to laugh out loud with that comment. I don't often do that.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Closest I could recommend is Rigmor of Bruma for Skyrim. Author got a bit... tryhard with the dialogue, but it's a nice mod anyway.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I always mod for the ability to have parties of around 4, as the party is the main draw for me these days... but you actually got me to laugh out loud with that comment. I don't often do that.
    Just a warning...
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I always mod for the ability to have parties of around 4, as the party is the main draw for me these days... but you actually got me to laugh out loud with that comment. I don't often do that.
    I would imagine the most dangerous thing about adventuring with such a party is getting stuck in a doorway and the NPCs never letting you out.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    In Skyrim it's only a few words to make them move. In Fallout 4, you can tell them to move.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    In Skyrim it's only a few words to make them move. In Fallout 4, you can tell them to move.
    Just three words are needed to get most NPCs out of your way.

    FUS
    RO
    DA
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Some more thoughts on the mod New California:

    Our little band of vault dwellers has finally reached Union City, which is supposedly the last bastion of the NCR before you start hitting the territory of the raider faction, the Survivalists.

    My immediate thought on hitting the city was that here was a city which is simultaneously too large and too small. Union City encompasses an area perhaps two to three times as large as Primm or Goodsprings. When you get there, it's the site of a massive battle with 40ish NPCs on the screen at once. By toggling collision and soaring up into the sky, I can see that the rest of the city vanishes off into where even my .ini-file-enhanced view distance starts to fade into just large buildings.

    If you're a modder, you already know what this means for performance. A single large area with tons of NPCs means that even my beefy-as-crap rendering PC chokes and sputters. This is a city that could fit Freeside and the Strip comfortably inside it, and my GTX 1070 is dropping to 15-20 FPS. This city would have benefitted immensely from being split into two or even three more internal cells.

    That's the too big side of things.

    The too small side, paradoxically, is that there aren't enough buildings or people around. From my spot in the sky, I can spot about sixty buildings, but most of them are little adobe concrete huts with no people living in them. There are tons of people--that is to say, in the battle, you had twenty people on each side, but now that the fight is over, there's not many people on the street. Union City is massive, but empty.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Complete: Oblivion, Enderal, Fallout (1997), Fallout 2
    Current: Fallout 3, Morrowind
    Upcoming: Borderlands, Skyrim

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Haruspex_Pariah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Malaysia

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Going through a Legion playthrough. Turns out I can get alt-itis even in single player games.

    Normally I rush to deal with Benny but this time I'm taking my time so I can use the reputation reset if needed. Turns out there isn't much I can do before meeting Caesar and going on the main Legion questline.

    I can give dog tags to that one dude, but that means killing a bunch of NCR and triggering hostilities. It's also pretty tedious to do it by pickpocketing and pivoting into a stealth build is a bother.

    I can kill the officers at forlorn hope, but again that means killing a bunch of NCR and triggering hostilities.

    By contrast, there are plenty of NCR quests that don't involve open combat against the Legion. I know, because I've been stuck doing them just to level up, and leveling up was no sweat on an NCR playthrough.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika.

    Casual Hearthstone and WoW player uh, gamer. But I'll talk about anything really.

    Riviss son of Cage, goatman in the Nexus FFRP (on hiatus).

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Going through a Legion playthrough. Turns out I can get alt-itis even in single player games.

    Normally I rush to deal with Benny but this time I'm taking my time so I can use the reputation reset if needed. Turns out there isn't much I can do before meeting Caesar and going on the main Legion questline.

    I can give dog tags to that one dude, but that means killing a bunch of NCR and triggering hostilities. It's also pretty tedious to do it by pickpocketing and pivoting into a stealth build is a bother.

    I can kill the officers at forlorn hope, but again that means killing a bunch of NCR and triggering hostilities.

    By contrast, there are plenty of NCR quests that don't involve open combat against the Legion. I know, because I've been stuck doing them just to level up, and leveling up was no sweat on an NCR playthrough.
    Legion got the short end, sure enough. I hear they were supposed to be a legitimate faction at one point, but time constraints forced Obsidian to brand them CE (Cartoon Evil). Also, unlike the Stormcloaks of Skyrim, Legion is never placed in a position where they're sympathetic and companion bias is unquestionably in favor of the NCR or Independence. Which is a shame, as it's the only faction I've never been tempted to side with on a run of a modern Fallout.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    I dropped a Legion playthrough partway through because I realized there's pretty much nothing you can DO as a Legion character. Nothing unique, anyway.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I dropped a Legion playthrough partway through because I realized there's pretty much nothing you can DO as a Legion character. Nothing unique, anyway.
    Cure Caesar's brain tumour, fight General Oliver at Hoover Dam, help the Legion take Camp Forlorn Hope, assassinate President Kimball, fight in the gladiator tournament...

    The Legion have fewer quests than the NCR, but they're certainly not "nothing unique". Heck, most of House/Yes Man's quests are things you'd do in an NCR playthrough, just with the additional step of planting a chip in the substation, so if anything the Legion are the most unique faction.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Haruspex_Pariah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Malaysia

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Pretty much the only RP justification for my character is one of infiltration: play nice with the NCR and donít show my hand until itís too late.

    Also little things, like sneak-killing NCR troopers when I have the chance and taking the lethal route for Return to Sender.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika.

    Casual Hearthstone and WoW player uh, gamer. But I'll talk about anything really.

    Riviss son of Cage, goatman in the Nexus FFRP (on hiatus).

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Pretty much the only RP justification for my character is one of infiltration: play nice with the NCR and donít show my hand until itís too late.

    Also little things, like sneak-killing NCR troopers when I have the chance and taking the lethal route for Return to Sender.
    My two usual suspects for New Vegas, Chance and Jonathan "Jack of Hearts" Hart, tend to go the House route, though Jack tends to go Independent when House's demands get to ruthless (usually regarding the Brotherhood of Steel because Jack tends to see Veronica like a kid sister). Chance just gets the job done, though - more professional than loyal, but still unwilling to switch sides. Jack can also be persuaded to go down the NCR route, albeit in spite of the NCR rather than because of them (he acts in the best interest of the people rather than the government).

    The only Legion character I can fashion is someone whose brain-damage induced rage (my New Vegas characters all suffer from that to some degree, the Doc isn't a god, after all) is so intense that the Legion is the only faction that will actually accept them.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Haruspex_Pariah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Malaysia

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post

    The only Legion character I can fashion is someone whose brain-damage induced rage (my New Vegas characters all suffer from that to some degree, the Doc isn't a god, after all) is so intense that the Legion is the only faction that will actually accept them.
    I kinda went that route, except that the brain damage also caused kleptomania and cannibalism.

    On a related note, I always find keeping Karma low to be an effort in New Vegas. Maybe thatís just my default play style, but after eating over a hundred people and stealing everything that isnít being watched I got my status down to...ĒGoodĒ.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika.

    Casual Hearthstone and WoW player uh, gamer. But I'll talk about anything really.

    Riviss son of Cage, goatman in the Nexus FFRP (on hiatus).

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    The one time I tried to do a Legion run, it was basically a megalomaniac who was wanting to pull a Stalin. Basically, toady up to Caesar, who is on a ticking clock anyway thanks to brain cancer, then put myself in charge when he's gone.

    I just... couldn't be that cartoonishly evil, though. I mean, really. The Legion are 'evil for the evlulz' if I ever saw it.

    Besides, if you make nice to Caesar, then you don't get all the assassination Loot Squads that come to pay you tribute with high-end weapons that sell really well. And I want loot in my first-person looter, dangit!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Besides, if you make nice to Caesar, then you don't get all the assassination Loot Squads that come to pay you tribute with high-end weapons that sell really well. And I want loot in my first-person looter, dangit!
    What about the NCR loot squads? It's been a while since I encountered one (several playthroughs ago), but I'm pretty sure they gave me nice valuable guns.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    What about the NCR loot squads? It's been a while since I encountered one (several playthroughs ago), but I'm pretty sure they gave me nice valuable guns.
    NCR send loot squads? Never heard of that before...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    NCR send loot squads? Never heard of that before...
    Here's the relevant section of the wiki and here's a Youtube video.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    I tried a legion run once, but upon being ordered to hand over her weapons... She kind of went berserk and beat the camp to death.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ShneekeyTheLost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    I wish I knew...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I tried a legion run once, but upon being ordered to hand over her weapons... She kind of went berserk and beat the camp to death.
    Was her name Grace?

    But seriously, you'll find Ballistic Fists on Legion troops in the area. So once you beat one down, you've got one of the best fist weapons in the entire game.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

    My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •