The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default 5e 'alternate' classes

I want to wright a class for 5e that's not a full class, so to speak. Intended to be multiclassed into or not carry a character to level 20, is there anything I can call these types of classes, and anything I can reference for them?

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 5e 'alternate' classes

I know in older editions of dnd there were prestige classes and they had certain prerequisites before you could multiclass into them, but I don't really know much more, and I don't think there's any official 5e prestige classes yet to compare them to.
    Hope this helps a little, at least.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessWriter View Post
    I know in older editions of dnd there were prestige classes and they had certain prerequisites before you could multiclass into them, but I don't really know much more, and I don't think there's any official 5e prestige classes yet to compare them to.
    Hope this helps a little, at least.
    Yea I was looking for a more-or-less equivalent to those. I know there are some rules for beyond-20th levels in the DMG but that's about as far as I can find

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    Yea I was looking for a more-or-less equivalent to those. I know there are some rules for beyond-20th levels in the DMG but that's about as far as I can find
    Unearthed Arcana came out with an example Prestige Class, if that helps. Look it up on the Wizards' site, it's one of their older ones.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Here's the link to the Unearthed Arcana 5th edition prestige class(es). I don't really remember how many they have in that document.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...tige_Class.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Here's the link to the Unearthed Arcana 5th edition prestige class(es). I don't really remember how many they have in that document.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...tige_Class.pdf
    Exactly what I needed, thank you! Although the link does only lead to the Rune Magic prestige class

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    Exactly what I needed, thank you! Although the link does only lead to the Rune Magic prestige class
    That's the only one they trialed--the whole concept got a very (almost unanimous) NO! from the surveys they did, so they scrapped the whole concept.

Remember, multiclassing is a variant rule. 5e has gone more in the direction of using subclasses/archetypes for this. If all you want are class-specific features, implementing them as culturally-linked/plot-linked boons without going to the trouble of multiclassing (with all the headaches that brings) fits better into 5e's general design.
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    That's the only one they trialed--the whole concept got a very (almost unanimous) NO! from the surveys they did, so they scrapped the whole concept.

Remember, multiclassing is a variant rule. 5e has gone more in the direction of using subclasses/archetypes for this. If all you want are class-specific features, implementing them as culturally-linked/plot-linked boons without going to the trouble of multiclassing (with all the headaches that brings) fits better into 5e's general design.
    huh. well whady'a know.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I tried to make something similar to 3.5 prestige classes but within the design space of 5e.

Here's the first write-up. Needs some work. I did actually make the edits suggested in that thread (5 tiers instead of 3), but it was a couple weeks later than I expected and I never got it posted on the thread.
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show