New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Anti Malware Programs. Windows 10.

I need a Free Anti Malware Program for Windows 10. I looked at Malware Bytes and unless I missed it on there site, you have to pay for it after 14 days. Need it for protection for a gaming computer. I want to be able to put Roms and Mods and Emulators on it so something decently robust seems sensible, but about all I can afford is free.

Is there anything that fits the bill floating around?

Also, what's good in the way of Free Anti Virus Software for Windows? (Been awhile since I've had a Windows computer in the house.). I've got the free version of Avast on it to start with, and I've put Opera browser on it for now.

Again, the computer is just for games. If it's not directly computer gaming related, I refuse to do it on this machine. It might not be the highest end model, but it is going to be task focused.
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Anti Malware Programs. Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    I need a Free Anti Malware Program for Windows 10. I looked at Malware Bytes and unless I missed it on there site, you have to pay for it after 14 days. Need it for protection for a gaming computer. I want to be able to put Roms and Mods and Emulators on it so something decently robust seems sensible, but about all I can afford is free.
    You only have to pay for MBAM's realtime protection.

If you're happy with an on-demand scanner that you have to run yourself every so often, the free version is fine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've been running the free versions of Avast! and Malwarebytes on my computer for the last several years without issue. Like GloatingSwine said, malwarebytes does have a free version. Here is a link to the download page, left most of the options should be the free windows download.

I've heard that windows defender is actually passable for windows 10, but I haven't tested it myself or looked into it and I don't remember where I heard that, so take it with a grain of salt that's less of a grain and more of a giant boulder of salt.
    Long-form Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Again, the computer is just for games. If it's not directly computer gaming related, I refuse to do it on this machine. It might not be the highest end model, but it is going to be task focused.
    I hear you, but from where I am it's not that easy. A good gaming computer is all the computer you would ever want. To do it your way, you'd need another computer for the internet and everything, an r-pi doesn't have SATA let alone the multi-SATA you really need, and there's not much else.

If what you have isn't the highest model, it's probably not that good for modern games. My computer isn't, but I kind of like old games like Fallout 4 ;D
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-12-06 at 01:16 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Avenger View Post
    I've heard that windows defender is actually passable for windows 10, but I haven't tested it myself or looked into it and I don't remember where I heard that, so take it with a grain of salt that's less of a grain and more of a giant boulder of salt.
    As general security, yeah, it's not terrible. The best approach is try and make sure you don't catch anything in the first place, tho - I'd say getting a good adblocker and script blocker for your browser as a first line of defense is probably more relevant than which antivirus suite you use. Don't permit anything to run unless you know you specifically asked for it, especially if you're trolling the sketchier pools of the internet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    As general security, yeah, it's not terrible. The best approach is try and make sure you don't catch anything in the first place, tho - I'd say getting a good adblocker and script blocker for your browser as a first line of defense is probably more relevant than which antivirus suite you use. Don't permit anything to run unless you know you specifically asked for it, especially if you're trolling the sketchier pools of the internet.
    I'm expecting to be putting Mods and emulators of old games on there. (I've been turned onto the idea of putzing around with some of the mods and fan fixes and updates for Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall for recent, for example.) So, good protection is something I certainly want.

Do you have a good Adblocker and Script Blocker you can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I hear you, but from where I am it's not that easy. A good gaming computer is all the computer you would ever want. To do it your way, you'd need another computer for the internet and everything, an r-pi doesn't have SATA let alone the multi-SATA you really need, and there's not much else.

If what you have isn't the highest model, it's probably not that good for modern games. My computer isn't, but I kind of like old games like Fallout 4 ;D
    I don't have the cash for a top of the line set up. I have the cash for what I bought already on sale. As time goes on I should have the cash to upgrade a part here and another part there over time.

Beyond that.

I'm planning to stick to older games for the most part anyway. Hence the notion of having protections for things like Fan updates and Mods and emulators and what not.

And I do have a different computer for The Internet and things of that nature.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #7

What browser are you using? Firefox has some basic but effective stuff right on the Mozilla homepage, for example.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I anticipate using Opera or Firefox. Maaaaaaaybe Tor if I get paranoid.
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

For firefox you want to use uBlockOrigin to get rid of ads, and NoScript to block javascript. Both are unobtrusive, and both make it easy to enable if say, the site you're on uses javascript to function, you can just enable the local JS, not the third-party stuff.

Malware Bytes is fine as a supplement to the built-in Windows Defender, you just have to remember to run it every so often.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

10. - Top - End - #10

The problem with NoScript is that you often have no idea which particular item is the one you need in order to, say, order the calendar pdf from Gumroad. And then you need to figure out which one is blocking you from paying. Confirmation is then a third, but by that point you've probably just unlocked everything.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The problem with NoScript is that you often have no idea which particular item is the one you need in order to, say, order the calendar pdf from Gumroad. And then you need to figure out which one is blocking you from paying. Confirmation is then a third, but by that point you've probably just unlocked everything.
    Eventually you learn to recognize script names and get a sense of what you need to lock and unlock. It's very much a self taught learning process, and it's pretty tedious, but it's pretty easy to get a grasp of.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.