Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Question What things would you like to see fixed in 5e?

Either through homebrew, official rulings, or even in a future edition, what problems do you see in 5e that you'd like to eventually get fixed? I have a few gripes of my own, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

----------

My personal list:

General
    Not many options for creating items, which is a shame for inventor-style of adventurers
    Stealth is extremely vague, with few rules regarding the difference between Sound, Vision, Sound + Vision, Partially Obscured, using the same location over and over, and Movement.
    d20 has too much random chance when combined with bounded accuracy. Note that a 20 Str check can break handcuffs, which means it'll take an average strength Wizard about two minutes of straining, or the strongest warrior on the continent (20 Str) 1/4 of the time of the Wizard (30 seconds).
    Not enough differences between weapons. Likely intentional to make things quicker and less rules-heavy, but even some simple changes could mix things up (like, what's up with the trident, yo?)
    Familiars are too good, scouts are not good enough.
    Cantrips scale with level, but level 1 damage spells do not.
    Initiative creates a different "game mode", where players expect combat vs. when they think they're safe, and where true tension doesn't exist unless Initiative is relevant.
    Few rules to create improvised attacks or actions. Or, alternatively, not enough special melee actions.

Classes
    Few tactical options for those who don't use magic.
    Few tactical options for those who are in melee.
    Major power disparity between characters based on the number of encounters per short rests per long rests, requiring many balance changes if tables want more or fewer battles per day.
    No tactical Barbarian, who doesn't multiclass into much of anything very well. Can't cast spells, redundancy with armor proficiency, doesn't work with ranged, and everything else is Dexterity.
    Too much reliance on Charisma-based Everything. Skills and Casting are often dominated by Charisma, and there is even Charisma-based attacking available.
    Rangers.

----------

I'm a big fan of using 5e as a toolbox to change features as needed at my own tables. By seeing what people have issues with, I know what kinds of problems I can make solutions for at my tables. So please give me any concerns you might have, or just simply confirm (or deny) any of the issues I've listed above.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-07 at 11:57 AM.
    Balance in all things:
    • Something is underpowered if, when given a choice, the option is almost never chosen. (Poison Spray)
    • Something is overpowered if, when given a choice, the option is almost always chosen. (Eldritch Blast)
    • Something is balanced if, when given a choice, is chosen because of circumstantial reasons. (Frostbite)

High quality homebrews:
    Oath of the Heiromancer, Paladin subclass, by Vogie

Make it easy, call me MOG.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What things would you like to see fixed in 5e?

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    • d20 has too much random chance when combined with bounded accuracy. Note that a 20 Str check can break handcuffs, which means it'll take an average strength Wizard about two minutes of straining, or the strongest warrior on the continent (20 Str) 1/4 of the time of the Wizard (30 seconds).
    • Major power disparity between characters based on the number of encounters per short rests per long rests, requiring many balance changes if tables want more or fewer battles per day.
    I'd say these are by far my biggest concerns with 5e, followed by "over-reliance on ability scores makes characters too homogeneous" and "missing archetypes" (including, yes, a crafting class).
    • I've tried a couple things for the random chance issue, and to be honest, nothing has really felt great beyond treating highs scores and proficiencies like permissions. If you're willing to go for a more serious structural change, I think 5e would really benefit from being switched to a 3d6 system-- there are plenty of threads on the matter floating around.
    • The stupidly long expected adventuring days, ugh. The best solutions seem to be "multiply short rest resources by 3 and call 'em long rest," and "let everyone take 2 short rests/long rests without taking any in-game time."
    • Ability scores can be removed with surprisingly little impact, but good luck getting people to play like that.
    • ...and I'm working on filling in missing archetypes.

(Also, brace yourself for the stampede of "5e is fine you're just playing it wrong" and "you can't change anything without totally destroying the balance of the game" replies)
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2018-12-07 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Major Works

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Put in bracing, tower shields, the ability to make a shield wall and we're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marywn View Post
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate
    For a sufficiently sexy Fey patron, that might be the best word yet.
    Have Barbarian Bear Totem Centaur, who's being ridden by a Cavalier Centaur, who's being ridden by a Life Cleric Centaur, who's being ridden by a Goliath Monk, who's being ridden by a Gnomish Warlock.

HI-HO SILVER, AWAYYYYYYY~!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll echo the ability scores issue Grod mentions.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warlock is one class that needs a serious revamp.

From op abilities early to bad spell slots.
    It’s a great class potential but needs major overhaul.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Advanced/Epic fighting techniques for higher level Martial characters. While wizards are calling down meteor swarms and sorcerers are bending reality to their whim, and equivalent level fighter has no real distinguishing features over a lower level fighter except for higher stats and more attacks.

In fact, make higher level gameplay better overall, especially for single class characters. The majority of capstone abilities are either boring, useless, or both, as are many of the abilities in the levels leading up to it. Almost every class gets everything they would ever want/need in their first few levels.

Also, making higher tier monsters capable of competing with high level characters would keep things interesting as well. Balors, Pit Fiends, Solars and Dragons, all of which are supposed to be the pinnacle of monster-kind, are a joke to any party of level 14 or higher. I'd like for them to have more features and combat options to keep them interesting. For example, why not have the Balor and Pit Fiend have access to some of the fiend patron warlock's pact features? Some of them are the sources of these pacts, so why wouldn't they be able to use these features? Picture just how much more intense a battle with a Pit Fiend would be if he had the power to (briefly) send a player to hell?

Edit: I also think spell points should be the core option instead of spell slots. Spell points feels more organic, while spell slots feel arbitrary.
    Last edited by supergoji18; 2018-12-07 at 12:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by supergoji18 View Post

Edit: I also think spell points should be the core option instead of spell slots. Spell points feels more organic, while spell slots feel arbitrary.
    People talked so much crap about 4e, WotC probably wanted to create as much distance as possible to keep the peace. If WotC removed leveled spells and spell slots in lieu of "mana" or "spell points", people would have had a friggin conniption over how "WOTC ONLY MAKES WARCRAFT GAMES NOW, GAME IS TERRIBAD".

It makes sense now, because we're used to 5e, but it made a lot of sense back when 5e came out why they did it. If they didn't pull some of the same BS from older editions that didn't make much sense, players wouldn't come back and they'd just assume it was "4e+1".

Sounds dumb, but the stupid way spell slots work is something a lot of oldschool players are accustomed to.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-07 at 12:09 PM.
    Balance in all things:
    • Something is underpowered if, when given a choice, the option is almost never chosen. (Poison Spray)
    • Something is overpowered if, when given a choice, the option is almost always chosen. (Eldritch Blast)
    • Something is balanced if, when given a choice, is chosen because of circumstantial reasons. (Frostbite)

High quality homebrews:

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

PRESENTATION:

Clean up a lot of the language, use different words to mean Melee weapon attack, melee attack, ranged attack, ranged weapon attack and the like.
    This is the main issue is just the overall wording of many things that take a sage advice search to clarify what they actually meant.

Split up the fluff description of abilities and spells from the mechanics with either a heading or something.

Classes/feats:

MAKE ELDRITCH BLAST A CLASS ABILITY NOT A CANTRIP.

Fix combat style balance in some way, abilities that give bonus action attacks are so much more powerful than the options that don't.

Gives monks better defense.

Mechanics:

If the system is built on the idea of "Bound Accuracy" to the point that it was hammered in the whole time during playtest and release, then actually stick with it.
    The idea that everything is supposed to be bound in a range but then in the PHB you have Pass Without Trace that gives +10 to a skill check is crazy, then in the very first expansion book they give blade singer an ability that gives 2 stats instead of 1 to their armor AND still get to use armor, and they get 2 stats to concentration.

Off the top of my head.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Echoing a lot of what came before.

- Skills should mean more. Tool proficiency should mean something (not just Herbalism & Thieves).

- There should be some less-random mechanic than a d20 roll for success on some things -- like the aforementioned Strength checks to break items. It should be possible for PCs, but at least somewhat unusual, and not simply a matter of an average-strength person trying for two minutes.

- Warlock needs a re-write.

- Rangers and Sorcerers and 4Elemonks could use some help.

- Multiclassing into Cleric needs a nerf so it's not the most efficient way to get Heavy armor on a Wizard.

- Some spells should be turned into class features, including Eldritch Blast, Hex, Hunter's Mark, and Find (Greater) Steed.

- Stealth needs help.

- Add the Bloodied condition from 4e; key some of the nastier monster abilities off of it, so you're not always rewarded for playing yo-yo with healing. Make it more dangerous to have low HP.

- Maybe add some kind of trade-off between spellcasting and magic items or boons? So the non-casters have a niche and a thing to do at high levels.

- Replace HD with Healing Surges.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Class variety. I am sick of seeing a "new and shiny subclass" for YET ANOTHER WAY TO PLAY A FIGHTER OR WIZARD. While having dozens of books necessary to make a character in previous editions was a hassle, it also allowed for more flavor and different builds and strategies. The class/subclass system is getting old fast.
    The idea for an entirely new class such as the Mystic were shot down and ripped apart. And only for the benefit of adding psionic subclasses to other classes. The mystic dies and its skeleton parades forth as a mere shadow of itself in the form of the Psion.

Where are the shamans? Where are the alchemists? Where is anything that gets sneak attack other than rogues? Why can only BM fighters be decent at disarming people? Where is anything that breaks from the norm? Having the same formula for each class gives the same vibe of being repetitive and gets stale quickly. Like eating a different kind of pizza every day, eventually, you get tired of pizza altogether.

So I'm calling out WotC on these shenanigans. Honestly, without some more variety, I'm likely going to be looking at Shadowrun in the future instead of further installments of 5e. Their new material comes out at a positively GLACIAL pace, with errata taking just as long.

In essence, the game is getting boring and repetitive from a PC perspective, as there are very few flavors of character to pick from. And I have some spectacular DMs, with intricate stories, plots, and twists. So I am certain that my angst stems from the system mechanics.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds dumb, but the stupid way spell slots work is something a lot of oldschool players are accustomed to.
    That's a bit unfair, I think. Not all sacred cows are inherently bad-- some of them are crucial to what gives D&D its own unique feel, spell slots among them. Say rather that "the stupid way spell slots work is part of the system's identity," along with stuff like "classes" and "the d20."
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Major Works

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

what problems do you see in 5e that you'd like to eventually get fixed?
    Threads about "fixing" 5e.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Better pictures for Halflings. I've never had a player in 5e play one, and I think the terrifying imagery on the page might be a contributing factor.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Ability scores can be removed with surprisingly little impact, but good luck getting people to play like that.
    Try claiming you're being really old school.

My memory of Men and Magic is that ability scores did NOTHING mechanical in the system described. They were there for the GM to call for rolls when you did something other than use a class ability or combat action.

IIRC in Greyhawk they added an ability prerequisite for the new Paladin class, and they added bonus XP for having a high score in your prime requisite.

Other bonuses, I think, came in Blackmoor.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I would remove the total heal in 8 hours.
    I would like for curses such as lycanthropy to be much harder to get rid of.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Oh, yeah, my biggest #1 gripe:

Don't have "Attacks with a Weapon" be different than "Weapon Attack". Don't have "Ranged Weapon Attack" be different than "An attack with a Ranged Weapon". The frustrating amount of stupid syntax with this has caused so much confusion, even Mearls, one of the big honchos of 5e, made some incorrect rulings due to the confusing language and once said that a thrown weapon was a "melee weapon attack".

I propose to change this:

Attack Melee Ranged
    Weapon Great Axe Crossbow Shot
    Spell Shocking Grasp Sun Soul's Radiant Bolt

To this:

Attack Striking Projectile
    Physical Great Axe Crossbow Shot
    Non-Physical Shocking Grasp Sun Soul's Radiant Bolt

So when you attack with a Handaxe in melee, it's a Striking Physical attack, but when you throw it, it's now a Projectile Physical attack. Same rules, different words.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-07 at 12:32 PM.
    Balance in all things:

High quality homebrews:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say these are by far my biggest concerns with 5e, followed by "over-reliance on ability scores makes characters too homogeneous" and "missing archetypes" (including, yes, a crafting class).
    • I've tried a couple things for the random chance issue, and to be honest, nothing has really felt great beyond treating highs scores and proficiencies like permissions. If you're willing to go for a more serious structural change, I think 5e would really benefit from being switched to a 3d6 system-- there are plenty of threads on the matter floating around.
    • The stupidly long expected adventuring days, ugh. The best solutions seem to be "multiply short rest resources by 3 and call 'em long rest," and "let everyone take 2 short rests/long rests without taking any in-game time."
    • Ability scores can be removed with surprisingly little impact, but good luck getting people to play like that.
    • ...and I'm working on filling in missing archetypes.

(Also, brace yourself for the stampede of "5e is fine you're just playing it wrong" and "you can't change anything without totally destroying the balance of the game" replies)
    Well, I think everyone has vehement opinions that certain things are or are not broken, but pretty much everyone agrees that the system could be improved.

• I agree about high random chance. My rule is: "Proficiency = permission. If you are allowed to make the check without proficiency, you do it with disasdvantage." This works but it is a little clunky. I've tried switching to 3d6, but the trick there is that you vehemently don't want to use 3d6 for combat, since it makes all encounters very samey and makes certain things rather imbalanced. Some things that you want to have low variability at some times (like ability checks outside of combat) are also things that you don't want to have low variability at other times. (like initiative and other ability checks inside of combat.)
    • I'd like to change several poorly written, unclear rules. The whole 'bonus action spell' thing should just be: "You can't cast more than one spell of 1st level or higher per turn." In fact, every bonus action should be changed to a new sort of action. So instead of [Attack action+ TWF bonus action attack] you'd just have [TWF attack action]. Instead of [Dash action +Misty Step bonus action], you'd have Misty Step only castable when you're taking a 'normal action' (dash, dodge, disengage, attack, etc.) Outside of certain edge cases this would end up working the same, but its a lot more straightforward, since as it stands now there's tons of weird contingencies and order of operations SNAFUs. And then of course the whole "Melee weapon attack" nonsense.
    • I don't hate the adventuring day rules, actually, but it'd be appropriate to formalize the '2 short rests, each taking 10 minutes' option.
    • TBH I just really don't think certain archetypes can play nice in the same game as the core classes. Inventors will always either be "That lame guy who can only build one copy of 'x' magic item." Or "That guy who snickers when the DM says 'a month passes'." People who like the 'summoner' type are never happy unless they're overpowered, and they slow down the game ridiculously.
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2018-12-07 at 12:40 PM.
    I'm a tad rude. It's a tendency of mine that I'm trying to get better about. Call me out on it if you see it.
    Sacrifice your Humanity for POWER (homebrew effort)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a bit unfair, I think. Not all sacred cows are inherently bad-- some of them are crucial to what gives D&D its own unique feel, spell slots among them. Say rather that "the stupid way spell slots work is part of the system's identity," along with stuff like "classes" and "the d20."
    Spell slots are EASY and they work.

Spell points always seem to end up either being "cast everything in combat at the highest possible level and don't you dare 'waste' power on a utility spell" or "this low level spell imposes a killer debuff, so spam it as fast as possible to the exclusion of everything else."

If you did somehow balance things so high, middle, and low level spells were all reasonable and viable options in combat, then you'd have people playing accountant to keep track of their spell points.

I might like a fatigue based system better (see Ars Magica for a pretty good one), or if you demand unified systems you could give everyone a pool of mojo/mana/ki/whatever and power all special abilities off the single unified pool.

But spell points don't strike me as any better than slots. They aren't more "realistic": (a) it's magic (b) fatigue doesn't work that way, not even close.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Spell slots are EASY and they work.

Spell points always seem to end up either being "cast everything in combat at the highest possible level and don't you dare 'waste' power on a utility spell" or "this low level spell imposes a killer debuff, so spam it as fast as possible to the exclusion of everything else."

If you did somehow balance things so high, middle, and low level spells were all reasonable and viable options in combat, then you'd have people playing accountant to keep track of their spell points.

I might like a fatigue based system better (see Ars Magica for a pretty good one), or if you demand unified systems you could give everyone a pool of mojo/mana/ki/whatever and power all special abilities off the single unified pool.

But spell points don't strike me as any better than slots. They aren't more "realistic": (a) it's magic (b) fatigue doesn't work that way, not even close.
    The trick is the magic of excluded options.

If you have a classless game, you actually end up with a very short list of builds, since there's generally an absolutely optimal way to build for a certain sort of thing. You want to be a skill monkey? Put points in the 'expertise' tree. You want to be a guy with two swords? 5 points into defense, 3 into light armor, 10 into TWF. It's a buffet, and you're just going to load your plate with whatever you want and call it a day.

Then you have the class, a 'meal' with lots of internal synergy, but more defined, limited options. There are lots of ways to build a 'skill monkey' in 5e because there are lots of classes and subclasses that interact with that role in different ways.

Similarly with spells, it creates this layer of nuance to which spells you want to cast at what times that I think really makes those decisions more interesting.
    I'm a tad rude. It's a tendency of mine that I'm trying to get better about. Call me out on it if you see it.
    Sacrifice your Humanity for POWER (homebrew effort)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

1. Big monsters get big damage AOE attacks, not lots of attacks. Seriously, is the tarrasque some kind of ballerina to get off 8 attacks/round at that size?

2. All classes key off the long rest for resources. 5 minute adventuring day? Gritty realism variant? No class balance problem!

3. Armor grants damage reduction, and fighter features significantly improve that reduction to make the fighter a viable tank even at later levels when AC is moot.

4. Barbarians get extra hp during a rage rather than resistance. Bear totem>everything and taking a thousand swords to the gut but going down like tissue paper in a little fire is suddenly not a thing, and barbarians are free to use their rages at thematically appropriate moments, rather than “before I take any damage”
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-12-07 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    PRESENTATION:

Clean up a lot of the language, use different words to mean Melee weapon attack, melee attack, ranged attack, ranged weapon attack and the like.
    This is the main issue is just the overall wording of many things that take a sage advice search to clarify what they actually meant.

Split up the fluff description of abilities and spells from the mechanics with either a heading or something.
    This, omg, yes.
    Hire a copy editor for 6e. Use cut/paste for the mechanics so features that are supposed to behave the same have the same wording.

something like MoG's language suggestion clearly addresses, while still keeping "plain english"

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    1. Big monsters get big damage AOE attacks, not lots of attacks. Seriously, is the tarrasque some kind of ballerina to get off 8 attacks/round at that size?

2. All classes key off the long rest for resources. 5 minute adventuring day? Gritty realism variant? No class balance problem!

3. Armor grants damage reduction, and fighter features significantly improve that reduction to make the fighter a viable tank even at later levels when AC is moot.

4. Barbarians get extra hp during a rage rather than resistance. Bear totem>everything and taking a thousand swords to the gut but going down like tissue paper in a little fire is suddenly not a thing, and barbarians are free to use their rages at thematically appropriate moments, rather than “before I take any damage”
    What's funny is that a lot of these concepts are actually big parts in 4e that people really liked. Especially the Rage aspect of Barbarians. They had a defensive mode that they initiated combat with, and then they could do a special action that caused them to Rage, which replaced all of their defensive options into high damage abilities targeted for aggression.

So you took damage until there was one boss left, and then you went to town. Rage activation abilities included things like charging at the enemy with flight, taking a mortal wound and laughing in the enemy's face (as you regenerate half of your health from lethal), or just straight up explode into flames.
    Balance in all things:

High quality homebrews:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Threads about "fixing" 5e.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

Quote Originally Posted by JDanton View Post
    I don't know what it is about DMs and making my characters into evil lich, but yeah this is definitely the most wild D&D campaign I've ever been a part of...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    I would remove the total heal in 8 hours.
    I would like for curses such as lycanthropy to be much harder to get rid of.
    There are rules for this you know? They anticipated the desire for this as well as an even more heroic type of campaign and adjusted rests/healing/permanent damage for both. I believe it's in the DM's Guide off the top of my head.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

I don't know what it is about DMs and making my characters into evil lich, but yeah this is definitely the most wild D&D campaign I've ever been a part of...

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrowPiratRobrts View Post
    A lot of people are gonna give shade, but 5E was designed from the ground up to be easily modified, so we can do whatever the hell we want with it. Ignoring that, to me, is like refusing to play with Legos without instructions.

Sure, you can play it that way, but the designers went to great lengths so we wouldn't have to.
    Balance in all things:

High quality homebrews:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

What's funny is that a lot of these concepts are actually big parts in 4e that people really liked.
    While I admittedly haven't played since the very early days, I feel like 4e had an awful lot more good stuff going for it than it's usually given credit for. Tight balance, interesting martial classes, a simple unified framework that could very easily be used to build all sorts of interesting mechanics, great and easy-to-use monsters, at least an attempt at skill challenges... It's a shame the reception was so toxic; I'd love to see a "4.5e" relaunch with baked-in noncombat stuff and classes written with years of experience behind the mechanics.
    Major Works

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh, yeah, my biggest #1 gripe:

Don't have "Attacks with a Weapon" be different than "Weapon Attack". Don't have "Ranged Weapon Attack" be different than "An attack with a Ranged Weapon". The frustrating amount of stupid syntax with this has caused so much confusion, even Mearls, one of the big honchos of 5e, made some incorrect rulings due to the confusing language and once said that a thrown weapon was a "melee weapon attack".

I propose to change this:

Attack Melee Ranged
    Weapon Great Axe Crossbow Shot
    Spell Shocking Grasp Sun Soul's Radiant Bolt

To this:

Attack Striking Projectile
    Physical Great Axe Crossbow Shot
    Non-Physical Shocking Grasp Sun Soul's Radiant Bolt

So when you attack with a Handaxe in melee, it's a Striking Physical attack, but when you throw it, it's now a Projectile Physical attack. Same rules, different words.
    What are some examples of where people have trouble with the current language for attacks? I'm all for consistency, and maybe I'm just too used to reading everything in all games like MtG Cards when making rulings, but I've never run into a single issue of not knowing what kind of attack to use when adjudicating a ruling. I can't think of a single example where it's a problem, but clearly a lot of people hate it for some reason. What gives?
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A lot of people are gonna give shade, but 5E was designed from the ground up to be easily modified, so we can do whatever the hell we want with it. Ignoring that, to me, is like refusing to play with Legos without instructions.

Sure, you can play it that way, but the designers went to great lengths so we wouldn't have to.
    Haha, I just thought Unoriginal's comment was funny. I agree with you, which is why I'm curious about the question you asked. It seems like by asking for 5e to be fixed you want the game designers to change it in a new edition (give me new LEGO instructions pls) rather than modifying it yourself (combine the Optimus Prime LEGOs with the Millennium Falcon set). Maybe I misunderstand the whole point of this post, but my recommendation to everyone is to change what you want at your table, because it's so incredibly easy to do so with 5e.

I don't want it to seem like I'm accusing you of not making the changes you deem necessary, because you say that in your OP. It always seems comical to me how many others are willing to jump on 5e and talk about how messed up "x" is or how broken "y" is without being willing to just change the game when they play and move on. If somebody is suggesting changes others could implement that's helpful. If someone's just complaining about the current system and not doing anything, that's less helpful.
    Last edited by DrowPiratRobrts; 2018-12-07 at 01:25 PM.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrowPiratRobrts View Post
    What are some examples of where people have trouble with the current language for attacks? I'm all for consistency, and maybe I'm just too used to reading everything in all games like MtG Cards when making rulings, but I've never run into a single issue of not knowing what kind of attack to use when adjudicating a ruling. I can't think of a single example where it's a problem, but clearly a lot of people hate it for some reason. What gives?
    Mearls, once a lead designer of DnD, was under the impression that thrown melee weapons were still Melee Weapon Attacks, since they're still a melee weapon that just happens to be thrown. This would make them eligible for Barbarian Rage, Paladin's Divine Smite, and the Swashbuckler. This is not true, because while the thrown melee weapon is still a melee weapon, it's making a Ranged Weapon Attack, but is still eligible for abilities strictly related to melee weapons (but not Melee Weapon Attacks) like Dueling, Kensei weapon picks (but not certain Kensei weapon abilities related to melee weapon attacks when thrown), and other shenanigans. However, even being used as a Ranged Weapon Attack doesn't make it eligible for things explicit to Ranged Weapons, like the Archery feature. And then there are Darts (which are both Thrown, Ranged, but not melee).

Just....read that for a moment.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-07 at 01:28 PM.
    Balance in all things:

High quality homebrews:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

No tactical Barbarian, who doesn't multiclass into much of anything very well. Can't cast spells, redundancy with armor proficiency, doesn't work with ranged, and everything else is Dexterity.
    They multiclass fine into Fighter and Rogue, but besides that ye, they're limited.

That said, Barbarian / Rogue and Barbarian / Fighter are two of the best multiclasses out there.