New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Creature] Bet you didn't expect this...

Inquisition Golem

Gargantuan Construct
    Hit Dice: 30d10+60 (225 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 30 (-1 dex, +25 natural, -4 size), touch 5, flat-footed 30
    Base Attack/Grapple: +22/+49
    Attack: Slam +33 melee (2d10+15)
    Full Attack: Slam +33 melee (2d10+15)
    Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Liquid pain, prolong the agony, swallow whole, torture
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision, righteous stride, suffering in silence
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 40, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills: Intimidate +15, Move Silently +19
    Feats: -
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 17
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 31-42 (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: -

An inquisition golem appears much as an iron golem in having a vaguely humanoid-shape, but is a great deal larger. It has a massive head with a mouth that gapes incredibly wide. The golem is not solid, but within are gears, tanks, tubing and chambers of all sorts that whir, pump and rotate. These golems tend to have the insignia or some church or organization upon it to show who sent it.

Inquisition golems are little more than walking torture chambers, programmed to recognize enemies of whomever constructed them and capture them. Most often their makers are those of Neutral or Evil churches who condone the torturing of others for information or simply punishment.

An inquisition golem weighs nearly 20,000 lbs and stands over 20 feet high.

It speaks in the language, and voice, of their maker, but can only respond to questions already programmed by their maker.

Combat
    The golem pays little heed to any but their quarry. It will stop a moment to dispatch those that stand against it or are in its way, but otherwise makes straight for any being they recognize to capture it if at all possible.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): An inquisition golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an inquisition golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, an inquisition golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. An inquisition golem gets no saving throw against fire effects. Temporary hit points cannot be used for healing purposes in the Prolonged Agony ability.

An inquisition golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

A magical effect that removes pain, such as the Ease Pain spell (BOED, page 97), momentarily confuses a golem's programming, and all torturing devices are withdrawn for as long as the spell is in effect, minimum 1 round.

Prolong the Agony (Su): An inquisition golem may send a surge of healing to any victim held within it. For every point healed the golem loses one point. The golem cannot use this ability to lower its own hit points below 20.

Liquid Pain (Ex): An inquisition golem may extract a dose of the drug Liquid Pain (see Book of Vile Darkness, p. 41) for every 25 points of damage it deals via torture. Any creature reduced to minus hit points, to unconsciousness or death, via torture, also allows it to extract a dose. The victim cannot produce a number of doses in excess of their Constitution score. To purify the drug for use takes one day, though the golem can purify as many doses as commanded simultaneously.
    The inquisition golem may coat one of it's slam attacks with one dose of the purified drug as a standard action. No attack may be coated with more than one dose.
    An inquisition golem typically has six doses already prepared for use.

Righteous Stride (Ex): When in pursuit of a being specified by name and description in its program as an enemy of the golem's master, its speed increases to 50 feet (10 squares).

Suffering In Silence (Su): An inquisition golem is constantly silent, as per the silence spell, although the area does not extend beyond the creature itself. This quality gives it a +20 racial bonus on Move Silently checks (it is still possible for an inquisition golem to create noise, such as by bumping into something that scrapes on the floor or by sounding a chime). The golem can lower this effect at will.

Swallow Whole (Ex): The inquisition golem can attempt to swallow a grappled opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the golem transfers it to a specific chamber for holding. The victim may attempt a DC 40 escape artist check to escape the golem. This brings it to its mouth where it must succeed on a second escape artist check or win an opposed grapple check to free itself. Alternatively it can attempt to deal 40 points of damage with a light piercing or slashing weapon. This hole remains until the damage has been healed or repaired.

Torture (Ex): An inquisition golem that has successfully swallowed an opponent may begin questioning. The golem can only ask questions programmed into it and takes no initiative. Most often it will simply return to its maker with the victims ready to be questioned.

Furnace - An inquisition golem can heat itself, increasing the temperature of any of its compartments. They may increase the air temperature by any number of bands, causing possible dehydration and heat exhaustion or superheat, dealing from 1d4 to 2d4 fire damage per round.

The compartments within the golem are as follows. See page 37 of the Book of Vile Darkness for further details on Torture. An inquisition golem can also simply hold creatures within without doing damage.

Gas Chamber
    Within each leg of the golem is a compartment with many holes dotting the walls. Each compartment can hold a single being of Large-sized or smaller.

A being within may have pumped within a number of gases. Only one gas can be pumped in at the same time. The gas remains for 6 rounds before dissipating.

Acid - Those within take from 1d6 to 4d6 acid damage per round and allows one intimidation check.
    Paralyzing - Those within must succeed on a DC 25 fortitude check or be rendered paralyzed. Those affected may make a fortitude save each minute to resist the paralyzation, with a +1 cumulative bonus to their save each minute. The golem may also pump within the antidote which removes the paralysis in 1d4 rounds.
    Poisonous - Those within must hold their breath or begin to suffocate for as long as they remain within.
    Truth Serum - Those within must succeed on a DC 25 fortitude save or become unable to tell any deliberate and intentional lies. Those affected may make a fortitude save each round to resist the effects, with a +1 cumulative bonus to their save each round.

Iron Maiden
    The front section of an inquisition golem is a giant iron maiden of spikes of adamantine, cold iron, and silver, bypassing all damage reduction associated with those types. The iron maiden can hold 1 huge, 4 large, 8 medium, 16 small, 32 tiny, or 64 diminutive or smaller beings.

Each captured creature may be dealt damage individually from the others, from 1 to 50 damage each round, depending on its instructions, and subsequently increasing the circumstance bonus to intimidation checks as follows.

Code:
    Damage  Bonus
    1-4     +6
    5-9     +8
    10-49   +10
    50      +12
    Skills: A golem gains a +20 bonus to Intimidation checks.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Constructing an Inquisition Golem
    An inquisition golem's body is constructed from many different materials and metals, smelted with rare tinctures and admixtures costing at least 20,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 25 Craft (armorsmithing) check or a DC 25 Craft (weaponsmithing) check, in addition to a DC 25 Craft (trapmaking) check.

CL 18th; Craft Construct, Heal, Heat Metal, Hold Person, Miracle, Remove Paralysis, Silence, Zone of Truth, caster must be at least 18th level; Price 300,000 gp; Cost 150,000 gp + 12,000 XP.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-09-23 at 11:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] Bet you didn't expect this...

It needs to be spanish. I demand that you give it a supernatural ability or quality that is distincly spanish. Other than that, awesomeness to the extreme.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

sounds like a mean beastie
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know, I think I saw this coming.

Does the golem get to choose how much damage it does for the various tortures, or is that randomly rolled?

Can the golem choose to make the torture damage dealt nonlethal?

Give it vulnerability to Baleful Polymorph, but it only can be turned into a newt, and reverts to normal after 1 round.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-09-21 at 05:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    Does the golem get to choose how much damage it does for the various tortures, or is that randomly rolled?
    For the iron maiden it can choose. For the heat/gas it deals d# damage, so is random in that manner, but it chooses what type die to use.

Can the golem choose to make the torture damage dealt nonlethal?
    With its heating ability it could as you take non-lethal I believe from certain temperatures, but otherwise I wouldn't think so.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

There's surprise. There's fear. There's ruthless viciousy. There's an almost fanatical devotion to its master. But where's the nice, red uniform?

Consumers demand it be painted red.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Under the part about fire, it still calls it "iron golem" once.

You might want to redo the Fire part though. Although it can heal itself, it shouldn't be able to use the HP granted by the Fire to "Prolong the Agony". Instead, any fire damage above its full, normal HP, is directed towards all creatures inside(divided amongst them). I would say maybe give it the ability to extract Agony/Liquid Pain(Yes, the drug) as well.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, I've got something you may want to add, or work off of, or something. I decided I wanted a new torture mechanic for the purpose of a sort of inquisition. Although I would like to note that this ability is overly complex, like most of my dnd creations along these lines.

The idea was that there was an organization of 'good' NCPs, which would be fighting evil any way it possibly could, including taking good people and torturing them for information on anything with any connection. Here is the ability, if you want to take a look, which the Inquisitors of the Red Dusk use to probe peoples minds:

Spoiler
    Show
    Inquiry: This is a special ability of the Inquisitors of the Red Dusk to draw out any useful information. Inquiry is not any simple ability that one just uses; it is a method of interview that takes place over a longer period of time. When somebody feels scared and threatened, anything they are asked about comes forward into their mind, making it easier to find if one is attempting to draw information out of their minds. Inquiry is a method which often involves torture. While the Inquisition of the Red Dusk claims that torture is a last line of use, some Inquisitors are quite malicious in their attempts to find evil. At any time during the inquisition, the Inquisitor may attempt to read the mind of the victim. The victim must make a will save with a DC equal to the inquisitor’s level + the victims current ‘fear’ score or have his mind torn open for the Inquisitor to see and read. When the victim fails this save, they must make a second will save (same DC) or take a permanent 1d3 Intelligence and Wisdom damage. Often this mind-reading is attempted first.

The main aspect of Inquiry is the fear portion. Any victim who knows of the damaging aspect of the mind-reading automatically starts with a fear score of 3. During the inquiry, the Inquisitor makes an intimidate check, often using torture devices to improve the check, against a will save of the victim. The victims fear score increases (or decreases) by ½ the difference between the checks, round fear up. Your fear score cannot go lower than -2.

For example: Bob is being investigated. He doesn’t know about the damaging aspects of the mind-reading, so he starts with a fear of 0.

The inquisitor makes an intimidate check, and gets a total of 20. Bob makes a Will save, and gets a total of 15. This is a difference of 5, in favor of the inquisitor, so Bob’s fear score increases by ½ that, which rounded up is 3.

Next, the inquisitor makes another intimidation attempt. He gets a total of 10 this time. Bob makes a will save of 15. This time, the difference is still 5, but in Bob’s favor, so Bob’s fear score decreases by ½ the difference. Because the fear score is always rounded in favor of fear, this is rounded down, to 2, when cut in half. Because the advantage is Bob’s, his fear decreases by 2, and becomes 1.

An Inquiry session can only have a number of stages equal to ½ the Inquisitor’s level, round down. A stage of inquisition is either a torture and intimidation attempt, or a mind-reading attempt.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2007-09-22 at 12:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I've added some suggestions of KitKat, though not sure how I can fit that in IceWalker as it has no mind-reading abilities and it's mindless.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Nobody expected this. Nether did my players until too late
    Thanks Mr. Tribble
    from,
    EE

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

You -win- sir, I'm using this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig