New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Fire magic under water

Does any magic have any strange effects under water?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fire magic under water

All creatures gain fire resistance underwater.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

They way I run this is a bit more realistic. They fire instantly turns all of the water it touches(area of effect into steam. That immediately creates a pressure blast that deals 10d6 damage to everyone fully submersed in the water(depending on the size of the body). It basically means you shouldn't do it if your all underwater. I also triple the area of effect of thunder damgae spells and double the range of lightning damage.
    Mathematically speaking, D&D is a game where a level one character can be killed by a horde of cats.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Spastic View Post
    They way I run this is a bit more realistic. They fire instantly turns all of the water it touches(area of effect into steam. That immediately creates a pressure blast that deals 10d6 damage to everyone fully submersed in the water(depending on the size of the body). It basically means you shouldn't do it if your all underwater. I also triple the area of effect of thunder damgae spells and double the range of lightning damage.
    Fire magic isn't realistic, same for all the "elemental evocation" stuff. You can cast Call Lightning underwater without it affecting the water around it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Fire magic isn't realistic, same for all the "elemental evocation" stuff. You can cast Call Lightning underwater without it affecting the water around it.
    Um, yeah. That wasn't the point. I was just saying how I do it in my own games. You know, to give some fun suggestions for house rules.
    Mathematically speaking, D&D is a game where a level one character can be killed by a horde of cats.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I mean sure. Maybe it boils the fishies instead of a big gout of fire.

Also, despite Hollywood phsyics, Lightning would actually just get dispersed (mostly harmlessly) in all directions in a large body of water, if we were applying real physics, but who says magic has to follow physics.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Depending on the temperature of the fire spell changes its effectiveness. There is a point at which the fire is able to pull O2 from the water and use that for fuel. It's not that hard either. I don't think that it would create a pressure blast but it would considerably heat up the water around.

I typically don't over think it and just rule it the same unless it is a cantrip to 1st level spell then it has no effect. And none of them can light any of them on fire.
    Last edited by Ivor_The_Mad; 2018-12-09 at 08:31 PM.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Spastic View Post
    Do you do this for all fire spells?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Do you do this for all fire spells?
    If so, Firebolt is a little harsh underwater.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    If so, Firebolt is a little harsh underwater.
    My thoughts exactly. Burning hands as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, as far as "any magic," there's also the consideration of cold spells. Would cone of cold freeze everything in its area? If so, could that trap monsters? Hmmmm...

As for fire magic, I would probably rule that the fire expands, briefly displacing water and dealing fire damage to the creatures (who have resistance), before returning to its former place, maybe boiling a small amount of water, creating some bubbles. In the case of something like wall of fire, though, I'd describe the same effect, just perpetuated.
    Oh, hi

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You could add something but that would be a houserule.
    Magic doesn't change much under water, except maybe the settings things on fire but that aren't worn etc. It might flare up and then just get doused.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    All creatures gain fire resistance underwater.
    Gastronomie is correct. Specifically, this rule is found on Pg198 of the PHB.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones