New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Watch them bleed...

Hello there. Trying to build a bleed-based fighter, but I keep hitting mechanical walls. Part of this is my own fault for wanting to add in too many things, but another part is just not knowing how to go forward. So, I turn to the playground for help.

As the title implies, I want to make a bleed-based fighter. Not the most optimal thing in the world, but sounds like something I could have some fun with.

First problem with trying this is that bleeds don’t stack in a particularly useful way. So my build needed to go fishing around for exceptions: Bleeding Critical, Wounding weapons/Savage simple mythic template, and Duelist sphere (Disappointingly, Blood sphere stuff all has the standard ‘can’t stack’ on it’s bleeds, either implicitly or explicitly.)

Now, since Duelist requires attack actions, and not just attacks as part of a full-attack, getting more bleeding hits in is hard. Current methods I can think of: Agile simple mythic template, Triangle Slash, Prodigy (for Surface Cut and Doombringer), Spell Strike+Quicken Spell (plus relevant smack-type Talent. Probably the Blood one, since that synergizes with bleeding). Actually adding in that last one seems a bit too resource-intensive for my liking (2 feats and 2 talents for something I'm probably not gonna be able to use very often).

Now, since I still have quiet a few resources open to try and use, I wonder if there's something I missed. For leveling so far, I only have the following plans:
    1 CR template for the extra action set, 3 levels Prodigy for access to 5-link finishers, enough full BaB classes to get 16 by 20.

Magic items, the fill in for class levels, race, and most feats are all to be determined. With those resources (and sticking to first party+spheres, so its usable in more games, as much as Quickling and Alacritious would have helped this), anybody got any tips in this direction?

Spoiler: Last-minute materials
    Show
    After I made the rest of the above, I did a little more research to try and do a final sweep of stackable bleeds and duelist-friendly attacks, and found the following:
    -Bloodletting Kukri: An item, and thus easily slotted in, but whether it stacks over multiple attacks is somewhat dubious. It stacks with the bleed of the attack, but it's pretty quiet on stacking with itself.
    -Blood beak: Explicitely stacks, but would eat up the very precious racial slot for only a minor boost in utility.
    -AoOs: Forgot Duelist triggered on this till the last sweep. So '...and stay down', and other methods of forcing enemies to provoke from us could be useful. Need to look up more ways.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Watch them bleed...

get as many attacks as possible and bleeding critical.
    there is ways to get insanely high amounts of attacks.
    like possibly thousands and thousands of them if abusing templates well.
    Last edited by noob; 2018-12-09 at 12:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't a bleed build involve hit and run tactics? Run in, apply as many bleeds as you can, then retreat and let them bleed out while frantically trying to heal themselves. Either they stop to bandage, or they chase you and keep bleeding, while you kite them and they slowly bleed out.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

PrC:
    Bloodstorm Blade 8: Blood Rain - 3 damage/round as long as you're in the Iron Heart stance, or until healing (otherwise - indefinitely); doesn't stacks
    Gladiator 9 (Sword and Fist): Make Them Bleed - 1 damage for (10 - Con mod) rounds, or until healing; stacks
    Invisible Blade 2: Bleeding Wound - sacrifice 1d6 SA damage to cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks
    Life Eater 5: Wounding Sneak Attack - successful SA cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks
    Master of Chains 8 (Sword and Fist): Superior Spiked Chain - target bleeds 1 hp/round until healed; bleeds indefinitely - until healing; modifying a Spiked Chain costs 25 gp (+10 gp after every five uses)
    Tainted Warrior 10 (Dragon #302), Nycaloth taint: Wounding Claws - claws do 1d6 damage, and cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks

Items:
    Implacable weapon (Magic Item Compendium): target lose 2 hp/round for 5 rounds; +3
    Serrated weapon template (Dragon #358): on critical hit, 1 hp damage for 1d4 rounds; +600 gp
    Spiked Gauntlet of Ulbaerag (City of Splendors: Waterdeep): This unique +3 wounding spiked gauntlet drips blood for as long as a victim wounded by it continues to bleed.
    Vicious Bleeder (Arms and Equipment Guide): wound caused by weapon with Vicious Bleeder applied, bleeds for 2 rounds by 1 hp; 50 gp

And, speaking about blood:
    How about the Arterial Strike feat?
    Bloodsoaked Intimidate?
    Fountain of Blood maneuver?
    Bloodletting Strike?
    Avenging Executioner PrC (Bloody Blade and Bloody Murder CFs)?
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2018-12-11 at 09:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    PrC:
    Bloodstorm Blade 8: Blood Rain - 3 damage/round as long as you're in the Iron Heart stance, or until healing (otherwise - indefinitely); doesn't stacks
    Gladiator 9 (Sword and Fist): Make Them Bleed - 1 damage for (10 - Con mod) rounds, or until healing; stacks
    Invisible Blade 2: Bleeding Wound - sacrifice 1d6 SA damage to cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks
    Life Eater 5: Wounding Sneak Attack - successful SA cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks
    Master of Chains 8 (Sword and Fist): Superior Spiked Chain - target bleeds 1 hp/round until healed; bleeds indefinitely - until healing; modifying a Spiked Chain costs 25 gp (+10 gp after every five uses)
    Tainted Warrior 10 (Dragon #302), Nycaloth taint: Wounding Claws - claws do 1d6 damage, and cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks

Items:
    Implacable weapon (Magic Item Compendium): target lose 2 hp/round for 5 rounds; +3
    Serrated weapon template (Dragon #358): on critical hit, 1 hp damage for 1d4 rounds; +600 gp
    Spiked Gauntlet of Ulbaerag (City of Splendors: Waterdeep): This unique +3 wounding spiked gauntlet drips blood for as long as a victim wounded by it continues to bleed.
    Vicious Bleeder (Arms and Equipment Guide): wound caused by weapon with Vicious Bleeder applied, bleeds for 2 rounds by 1 hp; 50 gp

And, speaking about blood:
    How about the Arterial Strike feat?
    Bloodsoaked Intimidate?
    Fountain of Blood maneuver?
    Bloodletting Strike?
    Avenging Executioner PrC (Bloody Blade and Bloody Murder CFs)?
    While cool, and definitely somethings to keep in mind, was building for Pathfinder. Still, cool stuff to keep in mind for a 3.p game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd combine Barroom and Duelist and break bottles on people's heads.

Round 1 (your turn): Walk up to an opponent and offer him a drink. (Ready an action to attack with the bottle via Draw cut.)

Round 1 (their turn): When the teetotaler rejects your kind offer, smack him in the leg with the bottle. (Draw Cut triggers and you use Jagged Edge and Shatter along with Leg Cutter, destroying the bottle. This attack deals the bottle's weapon dice+1d4+Str and 1d4+1[+1/4 BAB] bleed damage. Now he needs to make a Fort save or fall prone.)

Round 1 (AOO): Now disarmed of your precious hooch, you use your bloodletting kukri and bat aside his weapon and slice his hand. (Your disarm attempt from Draw Cut goes off and deals kukri damage and 2[+2/4 BAB] bleed from Finger Cutter.) The chump finally hits the ground and you hit him when he's down. (...And Stay Down! triggers and you deal kukri damage again +2[+1/4 BAB] bleed.)

Round 2: You do whatever you like because he's on the ground, disarmed, and bleeding. (Total bleed damage: 1d4+5[+4/4 BAB])

Spoiler: Talents Used
    Show
    Duelist Sphere:
    Draw Cut
    Leg Cutter
    Finger Cutter
    ...And Stay Down!

Barroom Sphere:
    Jagged Edge
    Shatter
    (And if you feel like it you can add: Barroom Expert and Surprise)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there a type of bleed that isn't 'magically whisked away' by either Healing spell or magical healing? One in which would actually require a heal check or something?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Is there a type of bleed that isn't 'magically whisked away' by either Healing spell or magical healing? One in which would actually require a heal check or something?
    Not exactly:
    Bleeding from Implacable may be stopped by magic, but required DC 15 caster level check
    Bleeding from Serrated template or Vicious Bleeder can't be stopped neither by a magic, nor by heal check

P.S. Checked some older books - they're actually have a handful more of sources for bleeding
    Most of them are monsters, but some are usable for PC:
    Bloodbag Imp (Fiend Folio): Wounding Curse - up to 3/day, Fort save; for the next hour, all melee damage to victim would cause 1 hp/round bleeding; stacks. Usable as a Familiar or Planar Cohort
    Desmodu Guard Bat (Monster Manual II): bite attack cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks. Usable as a mount, companion, or lycanthropy
    Petitioner of Hades, Larva (Manual of the Planes) bite attack cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; stacks. Playable (arguably, by the RAW).
    Talontar Blightlord PrC (Unapproachable East) 8th level: Corrupting Blows - hit with the Black Glaive cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; doesn't stacks
    Wounding Spell [metamagic] feat (Lost Empires of Faerûn): damaging spell also cause 1 hp/round bleeding, bleeds indefinitely - until healing; +2 adjustment