New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Balancing "Level Adjustment: -"

Some monsters are considered unsuitable for PCs. The LA-Assignment thread deals with calculating the actual value of these "broken" abilities, but I wonder if it's possible to brew alternative abilities on par with those of class levels?

For example, a medusa's gaze. Would it be workable for PCs, given one or more of these limits:

1) Deals Dexterity (or Wisdom) damage instead of being a save/lose effect (with creatures only being petrified if their Dexterity reaches 0).

2) Can't affect creatures whose CR is greater than your own -4 (subject to negotiation).

3) A limit on uses per day, similar to a sorcerer casting their most power spell for every encounter?

If this is too much of a debuff, he medusa's racial Hit Dice could be reworked to give additional class features, probably as a rogue or ranger.

Other monsters could be reworked - e.g. undead with Create Spawn could all have a standardised limit of how many spawn they can create, or it could be ruled that spawn are always free-willed.
    Last edited by rferries; 2018-12-09 at 02:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Balancing "Level Adjustment: -"

Yes, but at some point along the way of "balancing LA", you either make something along the lines of the PF Race Builder (allowing players to have monstrous abilities for a certain, variable, cost), or Oslecamo's Improved Monster Classes (allowing players to take levels in "monsters", and adding/nerfing abilities to the 'brewer's set balance point), and at that point, why aren't you contributing/improving those systems instead?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Yes, but at some point along the way of "balancing LA", you either make something along the lines of the PF Race Builder (allowing players to have monstrous abilities for a certain, variable, cost), or Oslecamo's Improved Monster Classes (allowing players to take levels in "monsters", and adding/nerfing abilities to the 'brewer's set balance point), and at that point, why aren't you contributing/improving those systems instead?
    I hadn't seen that PF resource before - thanks, but it doesn't seem to account for the "broken" monstrous abilities (gaze attacks etc).

Always good to see Oslecamo's work - definitely more along the lines of what I was thinking. As an alternative to his work though, I was thinking more of reworking specific existing monstrous abilities (i.e. so that PCs start play with all their abilities, rather than progressing through monstrous classes). There might be a happy medium allowing some progression e.g. a medusa's gaze starts off dealing only 1d4 Dex damage, with an additional 1d4 per six levels or somesuch. A bodak's could deal Con damage instead, an energy-draining undead might instead deal +1d6 negative energy damage instead of inflicting negative levels, and so forth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    I hadn't seen that PF resource before - thanks, but it doesn't seem to account for the "broken" monstrous abilities (gaze attacks etc).

Always good to see Oslecamo's work - definitely more along the lines of what I was thinking. As an alternative to his work though, I was thinking more of reworking specific existing monstrous abilities (i.e. so that PCs start play with all their abilities, rather than progressing through monstrous classes). There might be a happy medium allowing some progression e.g. a medusa's gaze starts off dealing only 1d4 Dex damage, with an additional 1d4 per six levels or somesuch. A bodak's could deal Con damage instead, an energy-draining undead might instead deal +1d6 negative energy damage instead of inflicting negative levels, and so forth.
    The medusa class there does seem to start with a weaker version of the petrification gaze that upgrades along the levels. Several other monster classes already done follow a similar pattern of starting with weaker versions of the original abilities that grow in strength with levels, in particular incorporeal monsters start with a custom weaker version that slowly upgrades to full.

However eventually some monsters just have more abilities than you can fit in a first level even in weaker forms, in particular all those outsiders with giant piles of SLAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

My attitude toward LA is that you don't buy it off, but that it decreases as your advantage becomes less evident. Once the advantages granted by the factors that merit LA decrease, so does the LA should decrease.
    I understand that this is a tricky part, because it's very fluid - according to the causes of LA and the character build.
    Reason: Paying a bit now to circumvent paying more later seems like cheating to me and encourages LA for the sake of char-op metagaming.

The gaze-attack part reminds me of 5e's solution to petrifaction:
    Petrifaction is a 2-stage process: If you fail your save, you're Restrained for 1 round (a new condition in 5e - I think the only one, but a noteworthy addition). Then you make another save that determines if you overcome the effect or become petrified.
    Cockatrice petrifaction is temporary (24h IIRC) and Basilisk's gullet contains juices that counteract petrifaction.
    All the above bring petrifaction down to size a bit to something that's less immediately terminal at lower levels.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

7. - Top - End - #7