The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 20: Another day, another disaster

[Tracking Rats - Holly]

"Right," she says over the phone, trying to rack her brain and see if she can figure out the frequencies. She should've probably prepared this beforehand because of course she would be asked about the frequencies. Since it's all innately natural to her, she didn't have to worry about the specifics and adjust if it's not working.

As a result, Holly needs to buy time so she can find out specifically what frequencies she used.

"So there's actually three different frequencies that were used," Holly says, "and from the specs I read then depending on your set-up there's a bunch of different things you can find out from the signal. I don't exactly remember the specific frequencies, but they should be listed on the spec sheet, so just give me a moment to find it." She tries to figure out the lengths and come up with a way to calculate the frequencies, while pretending to look for a piece of paper.

Buying time, she discusses how different setups can determine different things: "The reason why there's three frequencies is that each penetrates through air, objects and especially water at different rates, so with the right set-up you can compare the wave intensity of the three and determine distance. You can also set up different receivers in a water or gel or something-" in Holly's case, her own flesh "-and based on the direction of the decaying waves you can pinpoint direction. It says here that the signal is patterned which can give you an idea of amount of rats and a direction, I guess, with the right setup." She's almost got the frequencies figured out..."And the three different frequencies penetrate and reflect off stone and walls differently so that's helpful too, I guess."

As she figures out the frequencies, she writes them down. "Aha! I found it! So, the frequencies are: 387.4 MHz which I think is like phones or TVs or something, 2975 kHz which is...AM radio range, maybe a bit higher than that, I believe, and 89.14 MHz which I think is just under FM radio range."
    She silently apologizes for whichever government or commercial or private groups that use those frequencies.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

[Tracking Rats - Outside the Eastside Dump]

Amalungak invokes the same power as before with the blindfold, but this time he's trying to focus on the possessed rats' lifeforce as it exits them. Since they're being killed, rather than self-destructing, perhaps he can take a better look at what's affecting them. Where is it going when they die? Can he see where it came from?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [DMSide]

((Post for rats on previous page))

[Breakthrough Day]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Weather is changing. The heat of the summer slowly cools down and afresh wind blows down from the north. It appears that the change from Summer to Autumn is nearby and this causes some movement in the district. A lot of helpers arrive daily in the religious part of the city and start to work up on the streets. Banners got hung up the street, flowers got set around and some booths rise up out of nowhere. This affects the daily work in the city park and even outsiders might take note of it when their order appears to be delayed.
    Everyone who listens to the words will gather that there is a holiday in DMside which appears to be one of the major holidays in the church in general. Trucks with wine, food and other goods promise to take good care of everybody's needs. The name of this holiday is "Breakthrough-Day"
    Up from the south comes a visitor to the city, on account of the holiday.
    Holidays are great opportunities for information gathering tourism and adventure.
    It's the centaur who goes by Alice, who's accompanied by a pair of hovering drones.

She looks about the district, wondering how people celebrate Breakthrough Day? Will it be like the few holidays she saw at home? The ones from the old country that she barely remembers? More like a thanksmas festival? Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #484

[Tracking Rats - Holly]

It doesn't sound like Dena is really partaking in this as all her replies are a series of "mhm" and "uhu" as Holly goes on about how the frequencies work. It's not until she actually mentions those frequency numbers that the gorgon seems to actually react. "So if you use those frequencies on a radio, what would you actually snap up? This kind of technology is not my strong suit but I kinda assume you can feed those numbers into some software that would be able to map the rats out." A beat. "What kind of machine are you using?"

As soon as Amalungak reaches out for the rats spirit he might get overwhelmed by the sheer number of them.
    His astral eyes are clouded by the sheer amount of rat spirits which lingers around them. Refusing to move on.
    While cities often become gathering places for the spirits of the dead, this is not normal. Every soul would not linger like this unless something was binding them here and once he gathers his bearings it isn't hard to guess what.

All these rat-souls carry the essence of something else within them. As he noticed earlier, their spirits have been remade into something different which prevents them from moving on and traps their souls here. He can probably through his experience as a shaman tell that they carry the mark of a fey. In a sense, they are part of this fey now, like extensions of it.

[Tracking Rats - Ruby]

The scouts can follow the rats through the tubes, which will eventually end up in Southside. From here, unless stopped, the rats will seek out remote locations that are already pretty filthy and turn them even filthier through their living. It doesn't even seem like they're going after food. It's like they are intentionally spreading filth to these locations.

As for the rest of the group. It's difficult to tell exactly where the rats are coming from as they're using passages that are too small for most creatures. However, they will eventually gain idea of the pests movement and it turns out that neither of those are likely. No, the rats seem to be coming from Westside.

5. - Top - End - #485

[Tracking Rats - Holly]

Holly, of course, answers the first question first. "If you used a basic radio by itself, the pattern's frequency would tell you how many rats are around. If you used something to block or differentiate signals from most directions, it would tell you how many rats are in that direction, and you could switch between the three channels to kind-of judge distance. Or have a better set-up and then get more accuracy. If there's too many rats, though, it'll just be a constant radio-buzz with no way to tell how many are in that direction, so I guess that's a flaw of this. And, I suppose, it can't tell the difference between living and dead infected rats."

"I'm not really a tech gal myself, but, yes, software will be able to map them out." She shrugs. Again, shrugs can't be seen over phones. "I think most tech-people should be able to figure out how to set it up properly to get the best map. How accurate and useful it is is entirely dependent on how good the set-up is, but even low-quality things should be kind-of useful."

But Holly isn't 'a tech gal' so don't ask her to set it up.

Speaking of her setup, Holly needs to come up with a plausible answer for the last question. It is, of course, entirely biological and within her own body so..."I had the same person make mine. Figured it was easier that way. So, it's entirely custom-built. I think it has multiple radio-things in different places throughout some water-filled thing and so it tells me how many, what direction, and how far from me" Of course, Holly is not, as she said, a 'tech gal' so obviously she doesn't know the specifics of how it works.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-09-14 at 12:20 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Amalungak doesn't spend much time overwhelmed by what he sees; his will is strong and his purpose clear. Once he feels the mark of the fey on the presence, it becomes even more imperative that he gets to the bottom of this and brings information back to his King. He reaches under his fur coat to grasp the King's symbol he keeps there, letting it fill him with increased resolve. He has no instruments this time, so his next act is one of pure will; he intones an ancient chant of mysticism to reach out with his mind towards the presence.

"Who are you? In the name of the Fairest of Lands and its rulers, I call you to stand and explain yourself!"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    KABAL Rat Hunting- Sewers

"I've got a faster idea." He reaches into his big coat, pulls out a small tin, like the one breath-mints sometimes come in, and opens it. He withdraws a large red lozenge and puts it in his mouth, grimacing as he swallows; it doesn't taste very nice. Then he gags, motioning for Archera to get away. He'll hold up until she gets away, before he spits a thick red liquid onto the bars, where it sizzles and fizzes as the acid he just generated eats through them.

If Archera gets any on her, she'll find it eats flesh as readily as metal, though it doesn't last long; ten seconds at most. When the acid has dried, Flicker kicks the weakened bars to break them and get in. Because the vigilante's likely going to glare at them, she'll shrug. "What? They already weren't stopping the rats, just getting in our way. I'm Flicker, by the way. My associate's named Spewer. I'm a speeder, he's... Usually an empath." Technically true; Spewer's power does affect the emotions, but he can't read them or otherwise influence them except through fight-or-flight terror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Sewers - KABAL and Archera]

The grate is melted down by the acid, allowing the two to enter. They will still have to crawl inside though as the tuble isn't large enough to walk through. Inside, they will be greeted by the same aged tunnel system as Archera.

Archera might recall that Malechenar relatively recently made a big show out of upgrading the old sewer systems though obviously this section wasn't a part of that. Mainly north- and westside were worked on in a huge arcitectual effort by Malechenar's part. They likely did a lot of it for the publicity not to mention that the old sewers had become incapable of supporting the city's growing population.
    [Sewers - KABAL and Archera]

"Let's get going. I don't want the trail getting cold." Archera turns and leads the way back into the sewer. She's quite terse, though maybe the unpleasant environment can be partially blamed for that? She moves fairly quickly, despite the awkward posture, until they reach the main tunnel.